Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nazd
    • By nazd 19th Oct 13, 4:26 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    nazd
    Loan after bankruptcy
    • 19th Oct 13, 4:26 PM
    Loan after bankruptcy 19th Oct 13 at 4:26 PM
    Hi, I was wandering if someone could help/advise etc. I need a loan to purchase a car. However I had to declare bankruptcy nearly 2 and a half years ago so I am disch gybed and trying to build my credit rating back up. Can you recommend a company etc for a loan that's not going to cost the earth?? Please help
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Oct 13, 4:33 PM
    • 26,976 Posts
    • 17,130 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th Oct 13, 4:33 PM
    • 19th Oct 13, 4:33 PM
    Hi, I was wandering if someone could help/advise etc. I need a loan to purchase a car. However I had to declare bankruptcy nearly 2 and a half years ago so I am disch gybed and trying to build my credit rating back up. Can you recommend a company etc for a loan that's not going to cost the earth?? Please help
    Originally posted by nazd
    A lender that costs the earth might be your only option.

Have you checked out the bankruptcy board ?

What is on your credit file ?

Whatever you do dont go searching for bad credit loans or alike a sthat wont help.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 19th Oct 13, 6:14 PM
    • 22,761 Posts
    • 10,265 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 19th Oct 13, 6:14 PM
    • 19th Oct 13, 6:14 PM
    Only one company comes to mind AMIGO - oh but they require a guarantor. Would be much simpler and cheaper if the guarantor got a loan in their name and gave you the money.

Would I personally lend to you - would I 'eck.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • BugsyBrowne
    • 19th Oct 13, 6:33 PM
    • 19th Oct 13, 6:33 PM
    I suppose after going BR I'm sure you'll most probably have a few quid in your pocket left over each month now but finding a company that's going to lend you any money is another thing..
    • droiderm
    • By droiderm 20th Oct 13, 8:54 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    droiderm
    • 20th Oct 13, 8:54 AM
    • 20th Oct 13, 8:54 AM
    Forgetting about asking who can give you a loan , ask yourself do you really need one. I would be very careful about getting out any kind of large amount of credit.

How do you propose to pay for the loan?
    Can't you save for a few months and buy a really cheap car for the time being ?
    • alastairq
    • By alastairq 20th Oct 13, 10:14 AM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    alastairq
    • 20th Oct 13, 10:14 AM
    • 20th Oct 13, 10:14 AM
    Ignore the self-righteous responses from the ignorati.

The BAnkruptcy stays on your credit file [for what that's worth these days?]....for 6 years from date of BR.

For conventional loan applications this might prove a hindrance.

However, [thinking ahead for the moment] why not start up an account with a local Credit Union?

Also, many car dealers are more interested in getting customers onto credit payments [rather than selling the car]...so a dealer might be worth investigating?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
    • nazd
    • By nazd 31st Oct 13, 12:52 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nazd
    • 31st Oct 13, 12:52 PM
    • 31st Oct 13, 12:52 PM
    Aha thanks for the advice people
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,295Posts Today

7,145Users online

Martin's Twitter