Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Gaming MoneySaving > How long will the PS3 and Xbox 360 be around? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long will the PS3 and Xbox 360 be around?
Views: 1,978
# 1
BrookesAndrew
Old 15-10-2013, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How long will the PS3 and Xbox 360 be around?

Hello all,

I was thinking last night, with the new consoles coming out very soon and these new games being built for these consoles. How long are the current consoles going to last? By that I mean the PS3 and Xbox 360. When the PS3 came out I remember the PS2 games started to slowly die out but with the PS3 and Xbox they are both great consoles and have lasted so long. There is a lot of games out there which are built for online use so I do really wonder what is going to happen with these new games and if they will be building them for the PS3 as well.

Let me know your thoughts on this as I do want to get a PS4 but I don't want to get one if the PS3 is going to last a couple of years. May as well just play that!

Thanks,
Andrew
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
StuC75
Old 15-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Will all come down to how successful each is..

Each System already has a significant and very profitable user base - i.e. people that own & play the games.. By way of PSN & Xbox Live account migrations they will know how many owners have only one or both of the systems - by way of what they sign in on...

Through analysis of sales they will then get a good idea as to when it is no longer 'AS' profitable to develop games across twice the number of systems - ie PS3 & 4, Xbox 360 & One, and to support the online infrastructure..

The best answer to which is how long is a piece of string..

The Older consoles will no longer 'stop' working (afterall its not apple ;-)).. And there will always be a massive range of existing games available making a good value second hand market.

The biggest sign will be when they close down online play on the older services..
The Following User Says Thank You to StuC75 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ifstar
Old 15-10-2013, 11:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They probably will still both be around for a good few years with new games being released on them during this time.
# 4
randomnut
Old 15-10-2013, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Well the PS2 only ended production in January 2013 (that's not a typo) so had a solid 13odd year run.

The installed base for consoles is nearing 100million so is far too popular to be abandoned for a long time yet.

Whilst games will still be released the pace of system updates will slow though.
# 5
ITonyI
Old 15-10-2013, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I think Sony have pulled a smart card with PS+, which should keep the PS3 alive for a fair while. We'll probably get a year of cross-over titles released on both generations of consoles before focusing on the next-gen becomes normal practice though.
# 6
Sparhawke
Old 15-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think the average game production time is about 3-4 years for new titles, so what you will have for a long while yet are very few games with most titles being available for the next-gen and older consoles. I would say you have a good two-three years at least for now
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Techie, Boost Your Income & Consumer Rights Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly; I can move and merge posts there. BGs are not moderators and don't read every post. On spotting an inappropriate or illegal post please report to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse or moderate the forums in any other way). Any views are mine and not the official line of MSE
If you cannot explain something in simple terms, you do not understand it
~ Albert Einstein
# 7
AndyBSG
Old 15-10-2013, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They're still producing games for the PS2 now(FIFA for example had a PS2 version this year).

Also, the PS3 was a MASSIVE improvement on the PS2 but with the PS3 already sporting HD graphics and diminishing returns then I suspect the PS4 won't be as big a leap in quality as previous generations have been.

Those two factors combined and the state the world economy is in at the moment I suspect that the PS3 and 360 will actually hold in there a lot longer than X Box or PS2.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyBSG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
DavidA
Old 15-10-2013, 2:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I work in the industry and I've spoken to both Microsoft and Sony about it in the past regarding the original Xbox and the PS2.

Their intention was to continue to support the legacy platforms for some time but they claimed the problem was with retail. Nobody wanted to stock legacy platforms and legacy software. They wanted to make room for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, which had higher margins.

This time around there is less of a concern about retail. Games will be downloaded via their respective online stores regardless of retail's position. The hardware will continue to be sold, progressively less in the west but more in developing countries like India. It will continue to undergo board revisions which will bring the cost of goods down.

Software support might be a bit different though. As others have said, the production of new titles depends on the forecast the publishers have for them. I continued making PS2 games quite a way into PS3 but it has to be on a case-by-case basis. I wouldn't expect much new IP to show up on PS3 past the release of PS4 but you can expect licenses and sequels. Plus ca change :P
# 9
Joe Boy 1986
Old 15-10-2013, 3:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sony will hopefully be releasing Gaikai in 2014 so any legacy games will be soon be sold via there. Thus making a PS3 redundant. These big companies don't want you to keep older hardware when they have more expensive hardware on the market, so support will dwindle.
Knowledge is a tool, and like all tools, its impact is in the hands of the user.
# 10
bluenoseam
Old 15-10-2013, 4:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Looking at previous form, I'd expect maybe first party games (microsoft/sony) to be finishing up maybe Q2 2015, you'll still get some releases for maybe 2-3 years but after that you'll struggle.

Joe Boy 1986 has a SMALL point in so much as Sony/Microsoft don't want you to still be playing 360/PS3 several years down the line, but there's not much they can do to stop it. They can restrict things such as access to PSN or Xbox Live in the way Microsoft did, but they can't strictly kill it off - retail is where that'll happen. Retail will naturally diminish the shelf space for games for these consoles which will in turn slowly snuff the flame out.

I would expect Microsoft to abandon the 360 significantly quicker than Sony will the PS3 though - they abandoned Xbox pretty sharpish so I can't see them changing tack too dramatically here.
# 11
Joe Boy 1986
Old 15-10-2013, 4:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I think there will be a difference to how the last generation finished because of the way gaming is carried out nowadays (online/streaming etc.)
Knowledge is a tool, and like all tools, its impact is in the hands of the user.
# 12
DavidA
Old 15-10-2013, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boy 1986 View Post
These big companies don't want you to keep older hardware when they have more expensive hardware on the market, so support will dwindle.
PS4 will be too high a pricepoint for many for some time. Sony will be happy keeping the PS3 market alive until the PS4 pricepoint is low enough for people to move over. It took two years for the PS3 to outsell the PS3.

The Following User Says Thank You to DavidA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
duggan1
Old 15-10-2013, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBSG View Post
They're still producing games for the PS2 now(FIFA for example had a PS2 version this year).
FIFA14 was in fact the last game for the PS2 outside Japan (last game there being Final Fantasy XI).

The huge back catalogue for both will ensure that the console is worthwhile for some years to come, but online services may suffer.
# 14
DKLS
Old 15-10-2013, 5:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Am in no great rush to get a PS4, if by going by previous console launches the launch games arent up to much.
The Following User Says Thank You to DKLS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
bluenoseam
Old 15-10-2013, 7:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boy 1986 View Post
I think there will be a difference to how the last generation finished because of the way gaming is carried out nowadays (online/streaming etc.)
The digital generation might have produced a lot of results - but that's dependent on marketplace. PC for example is markedly more digital than physical because of the competitive nature of digital pricing - however that's not replicated totally within console markets. Looking at it subjectively - on PSN right now FIFA 14 is 59.99, GTA is 49.99, both of which are cheaper even in the most expensive of retail stores. (And god knows I laughed when I saw HMV charging 42.99 for a pre-owned FIFA 14!)

Until such times as PSN/XBL resolve the pricing issues there's always a place for retail - especially when retail is 25-30% cheaper than digital! It would take a shift more towards the Steam mentality for it to really take off on consoles.

The question originally is subjective though, might just be because I'm slowing down in my old age when it comes to games, but there's plenty of games I've yet to play properly. The truth is the current gen can probably stay relevant purely with releases until the end of 2013 to me personally for a good few years yet.
# 16
AlecEiffel
Old 15-10-2013, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It will last as long as you own one. There is a massive back catalogue you'll be able to play even if/when the servers are shut down.

I don't think Gaikai will kill it, too many people have poor/capped internet for that to happen. It will stop some people keeping hold of a PS3 but as the market has pretty much reached the stage where if you want one you'll have one I don't see it making a huge amount of difference in the next couple of years. People won't buy a PS4 to play PS3 games when a cheaper PS3 will do it, it's just an added bonus for the consumer and a way to sell existing titles (and thus make money) for Sony.

I don't think lack of retail support will kill it (Game had a sizeable PS2 section for long after the PS3 came out) as there is always Amazon and eBay (which remember is blamed for killing off the high street).

Last edited by AlecEiffel; 15-10-2013 at 9:31 PM.
# 17
BrookesAndrew
Old 16-10-2013, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks to all of your for your response. I am hoping it will last for a couple of years because I really don't want to have to spend 300-400 on a PS4. Maybe next year I think I will make the leap if I have some spare cash!

I do hope it will last a long while.
# 18
ender4
Old 16-10-2013, 2:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I just bought a PS3 earlier this year.
I expect to be playing games on it for at least 2 years.

Will probably buy a PS4 in 2015-2016.
# 19
donnajunkie
Old 16-10-2013, 4:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

sony usually keep their old console going for quite a while. microsoft usually kill theirs off very quickly. so i certainly wouldnt buy a 360 now unless you are part of the group of people wanting to prolong the life of their existing 360 games.
# 20
Joe Boy 1986
Old 16-10-2013, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

you say usually, but they've only had one other console out up to now and that was hardly considered a rousing success. It's all going to be a mystery tbf.