Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Nationwide Flexclusive Saver 5 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Nationwide Flexclusive Saver 5
Views: 8,195
# 1
Archi Bald
Old 14-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 3,322 Times in 2,069 Posts
Default Nationwide Flexclusive Saver 5

A bit of good news for holders of the Nationwide Flexclusive Regular Saver, and may be for other savers too. Relatively speaking, anyway.

When the Regular Saver period ends on 31/10/13, the account automatically becomes a Flexclusive Saver 5, with 2% AER (variable). That's the bad news but there is good news: you can now deposit as much as you like, and you won't get 2% anywhere else for an instant access savings account..

It also appears that the Flexclusive Saver 5 will be available to anyone who has a FlexPlus or FlexDirect, or has a Flexaccount and has been paying in £750 a month for the last three months or will formally switch from a non-Nationwide account.

This information is from a Nationwide letter I received this morning. I can't see anything on the Nationwide website yet about the Flexclusive Saver 5 but worth keeping a watch on it if you are looking for the best instant access saver in the market.
I have never worked, directly or indirectly, for any financial institution, and have no relatives, friends or personal acquaintances who ever worked for them. There is no likelihood this is to change at any time in the future.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Archi Bald For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
fiesta04
Old 14-10-2013, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you look on the back of the letter, in the purple box, it states if you increase the balance by £500-£1000 monthly, that you will get 2.5%pa/AER. Admittedly this looks like a different Account as it only says Reg Saver.

So is it such a good deal or have I misread it?

F4
# 3
ColdIron
Old 14-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,657 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta04 View Post
If you look on the back of the letter, in the purple box, it states if you increase the balance by £500-£1000 monthly, that you will get 2.5%pa/AER. Admittedly this looks like a different Account as it only says Reg Saver.

F4
That's the stock Regular Savings Account that's been going for a while now, though I'm very interested in the Flexclusive Saver 5 if it pays 2% to holders of a FlexDirect account who haven't had the Flexclusive Regular Saver
# 4
Archi Bald
Old 14-10-2013, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta04 View Post

F4
The 2.5% Reg Saver has been available forever. It's quite an interesting account if you are maxed in the current accounts etc. But all you can get in is £1K a month.

The Flexclusive Saver 5 makes a great feeder account for that 2.5% Regular Saver, and its also good for anyone who is desperate for an instant savings account (after maxing the current accounts).
I have never worked, directly or indirectly, for any financial institution, and have no relatives, friends or personal acquaintances who ever worked for them. There is no likelihood this is to change at any time in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archi Bald For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
beansy
Old 14-10-2013, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald View Post
The 2.5% Reg Saver has been available forever. It's quite an interesting account if you are maxed in the current accounts etc. But all you can get in is £1K a month.

The Flexclusive Saver 5 makes a great feeder account for that 2.5% Regular Saver, and its also good for anyone who is desperate for an instant savings account (after maxing the current accounts).
Thank you.

I stopped paying into ours when the Flexclusive saver came out but just noticed this is paying a higher rate than our 15 yr Loyalty Saver @ 2.10% so I have reinstated our mthly payments.
# 6
innovate
Old 14-10-2013, 5:08 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 9,865 Times in 6,158 Posts

Remember that you only get 2.5% AER in the regular saver in those months in which your balance increases by £1,000.
# 7
Gromitt
Old 14-10-2013, 5:49 PM

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovate View Post
Remember that you only get 2.5% AER in the regular saver in those months in which your balance increases by £1,000.
You mean £500.

£1000 is the maximum you can deposit.
# 8
Hominu
Old 14-10-2013, 5:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The Flexclusive ISA is dropping to 2% as well, which, in the current climate, isn't that bad!
# 9
innovate
Old 14-10-2013, 5:59 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 9,865 Times in 6,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromitt View Post
You mean £500.

£1000 is the maximum you can deposit.
yes you are right
The Following User Says Thank You to innovate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
beansy
Old 14-10-2013, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We also received an invitation to a local "how to enhance and protect your money seminar" in our local area on 12 November.

Not had one of these from Nwide before!
# 11
Archi Bald
Old 14-10-2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansy View Post
We also received an invitation to a local "how to enhance and protect your money seminar" in our local area on 12 November.

Not had one of these from Nwide before!
roflmao. This sounds so funny, I might even attend for a laugh if they put one of these on locally to me.
# 12
KTF
Old 14-10-2013, 8:59 PM

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,230 Posts

Not as bad as it could have been, but mine is still going to live in my Santander 123 account...
# 13
Archi Bald
Old 14-10-2013, 9:22 PM

Yeah, only an option if your Santanders 123s and Lloyds and BoS and TSB Vantages are full...which for quite a few people they are, so it's great there is a 2% account when the rest is max 1.5% for instant access
# 14
lemonjelly
Old 15-10-2013, 11:18 AM

Thanked 44,315 Times in 6,941 Posts

On the Nationwide reg saver, is there a maximum amount you can use to open the account? Is that also £1000? Or are you able to open it with a larger sum & then credit up to £1000 a month?
It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
# 15
EarthBoy
Old 15-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's a £1000 per month max, so if you open it with £1000 you've immediately reached your first month's limit. There's no provision for opening it with a larger sum, -I don't know of any regular saver accounts which would allow that.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarthBoy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
typistretired
Old 15-10-2013, 2:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansy View Post
Thank you.

I stopped paying into ours when the Flexclusive saver came out but just noticed this is paying a higher rate than our 15 yr Loyalty Saver @ 2.10% so I have reinstated our mthly payments.
I hope you have opened a flexdirect account paying 5.00% AER (4.89% gross p.a.) in-credit interest on balances up to £2,500 (fixed for the first 12 months)1
"Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
# 17
zerog
Old 15-10-2013, 3:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Would I be correct in saying, if you only have a fixed amount of £1000 to save, you could earn an average 2.25% by keeping it in the Regular Saver 2.5% and the Flexclusive Saver 5 2% in alternating months?

So in odd months you will increase the balance from £0 to £1000 (earning 2.5%) while in even months the balance will be reduced from £1000 to £0, but the £1000 will be earning 2%.

I have £3500 in the old 6% reg saver which is becoming 2%, but only another £3000 (after maxing out everything else), so I'm not sure what the best strategy would be.

How much should I deposit each month so I can increase the balance by at least £500 per month without running out of money but still maximising the interest? Is there a time when I should withdraw all of it back into the 2% saver and then dripfeed into the 2.5% reg saver starting from £0?
# 18
Archi Bald
Old 15-10-2013, 5:24 PM

I would use the Regular Saver Dripfeed calculator to work out the possible numbers.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...ts#savingscalc

I would also use put £2,500 into a FlexDirect if I didn't have one already. And I would then most likely try a second and possibly third FlexDirect since rumour has it people get the 5% AER in more than one of them. In any case, I would only bother with the 2% and 2.5% accounts if I had run out of options with the Nationwide, and non-Nationwide, interest-paying current accounts.
# 19
rb10
Old 15-10-2013, 6:37 PM

Thanked 3,825 Times in 2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBoy View Post
It's a £1000 per month max, so if you open it with £1000 you've immediately reached your first month's limit. There's no provision for opening it with a larger sum, -I don't know of any regular saver accounts which would allow that.
There are occasionally regular saver accounts that do allow a larger opening deposit. I don't know of any currently available, but in the past we've seen the Santander First Home Saver and Stroud & Swindon Regular Saver Plus, both of which allowed (from memory) £5k opening deposit and then £300/250 per month.

You are right to say that the opening balance of a NBS regular saver counts towards your first month's limit though.
# 20
lemonjelly
Old 15-10-2013, 10:55 PM

Thanked 44,315 Times in 6,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBoy View Post
Apols for putting the same thing in 2 threads!:
I rang their customer services this afternoon & they told me there's no limit on the opening amount (up to the £5million maximum)!
It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.