Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    emptysuit
    Court Success Judgement against Small Planet Airlines
    • 10th Oct 13, 1:20 AM
    Court Success Judgement against Small Planet Airlines 10th Oct 13 at 1:20 AM
    Just a quick post regarding Small Planet Airlines. I booked a 7 day holiday via Olympic in September 2012 for my wife and I and suffered a 17 hour delay going out on a Small Planet Airline plane due to technical problems. Because of the well documented claim procedure I wrote to Small Planet who have an office at The Beehive, Gatwick about compensation. I received numerous " we are looking into it" letters before eventually getting the "Extraordinary Circumstances" fob off. I issued a summons in June 2013 and I had a court hearing today in Hastings and Small Planet were a no show. Judge awarded us £741 including travel expenses and interest.They have 14 days to pay.
    Its nice to see District Judges becoming very familier with flight delay cases. I have a second one with Thomson Airways on the 23rd October, I hope its the same Judge!!
Page 3
    • Scruffy1968
    • By Scruffy1968 3rd Jun 16, 11:11 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Scruffy1968
    If anyone is still following this one, I have recently received settlement funds from Small Planet!!!! Took 3 years but now worth the wait!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 3rd Jun 16, 2:12 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Tyzap
    If anyone is still following this one, I have recently received settlement funds from Small Planet!!!! Took 3 years but now worth the wait!
    Originally posted by Scruffy1968
    Well done Scruffy1968

Please go into a little more detail if you can for others who are struggling with this airline.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Scruffy1968
    • By Scruffy1968 13th Jun 16, 1:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Scruffy1968
    Full Success After 3 Years...SPA PAYS OUT!!!
    So finally, after a 3 year battle, funds have been received for claims under EU261.

Painfully slow, but it all seems lined up so that SPA made as many difficulties as possible in the hope that we would just give up and go away.

At my own cost, I started the process soon after we got back from Gran Canaria, with delays out (14hrs, LGW) and return (22hrs). No real replies directly from the airline, so a registered post letter to Lithuania got a response along the lines of "nothing to do with us". Decided to take it to CAA and that was a painful process too, with no way to actually speak to anyone, just email and the hope of a reply weeks later! Did the same for the Spanish equivalent body too.

Long story short, eventually got positive opinions from both regulators. Then found I couldn't take it to Small Claims as SPA had removed all traces of offices in the UK. Went to European Consumer Centre for help (Government backed I think), but SPA ignored them too!

Got so fed up with this that I went to Bott & Co and they took it over from there. I understand the High Court ruled in favour and this led to the bailiffs attending Birmingham International for settlement!

Just received cash into accounts, so it was all worth it in the end. Bott & Co have also asked me to discuss the experience with their PR people as they think it could be covered in the media at some point.

Good Luck everyone, this is just the start hopefully.
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 21st Jun 16, 11:35 AM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    On the back of Scruffys post - I have handed my claim( for 7 people for 19 hours to Cyprus) to Bott & Co. Just got to the point where it is beyond my capabilities / available time!

I wonder if Scruffy could give me some idea of how long it took Botts to complete the case?

Thanks in advance, Nats
    • Scruffy1968
    • By Scruffy1968 21st Jun 16, 1:47 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Scruffy1968
    Bott & Co
    Hi Nats,

I started the Bott & Co process in August 2015. You may benefit from the ruling in my case as I think it may be the first one that came to an actual settlement!

The main thing for me is that I didn't want them to get away with it, so I kept going. You may want to give Bott & Co a reminder every now and again that you are there (I emailed for an update every few weeks/month or so), as I think they may just go at their own pace otherwise!

Hope this is what you were after - and good luck!
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 21st Jun 16, 3:45 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Thanks Scruffy - somehow I didn't think it would be particularly swift!!

I have a diary reminder set monthly to be on Bott & Co's case - it is in their interest too after all!

thanks for the info and the good luck wishes!
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 18th Aug 16, 1:29 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Just in case anyone is wondering.... "The necessary documents have been prepared and these have been sent to the court for issuing".
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 17th Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Email from Botts this morning "the airline have agreed to settle your claim!"

Best news for a Monday morning! xxx
    Last edited by natsplatnat; 17-10-2016 at 3:57 PM.
    • notahappybuuny
    • By notahappybuuny 21st Nov 16, 3:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    notahappybuuny
    Can you still go down the solicitor route if you have already accepted a 'Goodwill' offer of payment (reduced payout obviously) from the Airline but they aren't paying up?

I don't really want to lose 25% of an already reduce payout.
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 21st Nov 16, 3:35 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    111KAB
    Speak with the solicitor you are thinking of using however I would imagine you/he can decline the offer and seek full recompense in respect of a 261/2004 claim.
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 4th Jan 17, 9:28 AM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    Email received this morning to say our compensation has been paid!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,878Posts Today

6,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin