Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shown73
    • By shown73 19th Sep 13, 7:30 PM
    • 1,211Posts
    • 390Thanks
    shown73
    ios7, any good?
    • 19th Sep 13, 7:30 PM
    ios7, any good? 19th Sep 13 at 7:30 PM
    Just wondered if anyone had installed ios7 on their ipad, and what they thought of it. Different layout, not so sure I would like it.
Page 1
  • SidP
    • 19th Sep 13, 8:27 PM
    • 19th Sep 13, 8:27 PM
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ios-7-thoroughly-reviewed/

Try that for size. Also:

http://lifehacker.com/ios-7s-biggest-annoyances-and-how-to-fix-them-1334420963

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3469641&olo=rss

MacWorld has a whole bunch of articles on other topics. Reading those is better than getting some random's opinion—IMO.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 19th Sep 13, 8:37 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 8,841 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 19th Sep 13, 8:37 PM
    • 19th Sep 13, 8:37 PM
    Yep, on my gen.3 iPad. It seems to hammer the battery. 7.1 needed to iron out the glitches.
    • InsideInsurance
    • By InsideInsurance 20th Sep 13, 3:16 PM
    • 22,232 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    InsideInsurance
    • 20th Sep 13, 3:16 PM
    • 20th Sep 13, 3:16 PM
    Have it on my iPad3 and iPhone5

A few useful elements but really most were things that should have been there but were missing from the old versions (eg time each message was sent for iMessenger) and the control centre is useful

The phone is fine, iPad 3rd gen is a bit slow, can probably turn off some of the animations etc. Havent noticed any battery issues but dont use the iPad much these days.

New look generally is good but if you group apps it looks a bit messy
    • matttye
    • By matttye 20th Sep 13, 8:36 PM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    matttye
    • 20th Sep 13, 8:36 PM
    • 20th Sep 13, 8:36 PM
    I love it but the UI is drastically different.

You'd do well to try out a device with iOS on it in store before you go ahead, if you're not sure.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 20th Sep 13, 8:47 PM
    • 7,693 Posts
    • 5,832 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 20th Sep 13, 8:47 PM
    • 20th Sep 13, 8:47 PM
    I love it but the UI is drastically different.

You'd do well to try out a device with iOS on it in store before you go ahead, if you're not sure.
    Originally posted by matttye
    Surely it's a simple matter to restore if you don't like it
    The faceless forum team said
    I'm afraid we had to remove your signature. It was felt that it could be upsetting to other users who had a stroke.
    But removing said signature upsets someone who has had one, ergo yours truly, and has still never received an explanation as to who felt it could be upsetting and why...Let alone the terrible grammar
    • matttye
    • By matttye 20th Sep 13, 9:03 PM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    matttye
    • 20th Sep 13, 9:03 PM
    • 20th Sep 13, 9:03 PM
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    You can only downgrade to iOS 6 while Apple is still signing the software, which won't be for very long at all....once they stop, you can't downgrade.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 20th Sep 13, 9:52 PM
    • 7,693 Posts
    • 5,832 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 20th Sep 13, 9:52 PM
    • 20th Sep 13, 9:52 PM
    You can only downgrade to iOS 6 while Apple is still signing the software, which won't be for very long at all....once they stop, you can't downgrade.
    Originally posted by matttye
    Can I then no longer restore from iTunes backups on my PC? Sounds like the walled garden is crumbling if that's the case
    The faceless forum team said
    I'm afraid we had to remove your signature. It was felt that it could be upsetting to other users who had a stroke.
    But removing said signature upsets someone who has had one, ergo yours truly, and has still never received an explanation as to who felt it could be upsetting and why...Let alone the terrible grammar
    • schrodie
    • By schrodie 20th Sep 13, 10:12 PM
    • 7,503 Posts
    • 10,659 Thanks
    schrodie
    • 20th Sep 13, 10:12 PM
    • 20th Sep 13, 10:12 PM
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    It's full of bugs apparently and many users aren't happy they've downloaded it.

Apple don't allow you to downgrade however you can if you're quick see half way down this article... Here

The Apple Support Forum also doesn't allow you to give any advice on how to downgrade to iOS6 they remove your posts very quickly.
    Do the Country a favour - Report a Tax Evader.
    Hotline: 0800 788 887.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 21st Sep 13, 12:06 AM
    • 12,360 Posts
    • 10,497 Thanks
    paddyrg
    A friend was excited to tell me he could now block numbers, much as he could in his old Nokia a decade ago. Seeing as apple use words like magical and revolutionary in their sales blurb, iOS7 seems to be at best rather underwhelming for most users.

Apparently you can make it look less of a dogs dinner by making it grey scale, not sure how true that is, but some people have said it is less offensive that way.

Maybe hold off before upversioning ('upgrading' seems to be overstating the case)
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 21st Sep 13, 12:16 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    Installed it pretty much the minute it released and have not had one issue. I like the updated design, much cleaner and modern looking. Its quite a big step, certainly as big as any android made in the four years I used it.
    • Iain L
    • By Iain L 21st Sep 13, 6:04 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Iain L
    Like several of the new features, absolutely HATE the appearance.

In my eyes it has lost the classy appearance that it used to have and bowed to the "big, bright and brash must mean it is good" mentality.

Still contemplating going back to 6 as I dislike the appearance that much.

Edited to add: When I spoke to Apple support about downgrading they confirmed that they don't support it, but their own tech support guy advised me to Google it and find out how to do.
    Last edited by Iain L; 21-09-2013 at 6:06 AM.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 21st Sep 13, 7:54 AM
    • 7,898 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Buzby
    It's certainly a culture shock - but as with most things you get to like it, as the clear lines and non-fussy artwork is becoming enjoyable. To other issues, battery use is identical as before.

Still finding new things, and the level of customisation were you select how you wish it to work/display is superb.
  • WTFH
    It's full of bugs apparently
    Originally posted by schrodie

Can you provide a link to back this up?

(Oh, and I don't mean a headline in the Daily Mail)
  • aliasojo
    Originally posted by Iain L
    Young teenage daughter agrees with you.

Some good features but loathes the appearance, it's far too 'neon and in your face' apparently.

I have to say after looking at her ipod myself, I agree with her and you. Bright and brash is not always good.
    Herman - MP for all!
    • SaLoGo
    • By SaLoGo 21st Sep 13, 9:19 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    SaLoGo
    I think I'm the only one who really likes it! As with everything, it's all down to personal taste, they're never gonna please everyone!

I especially love the torch in the lock screen (the path to my house is very dark at night!), the fact that I can save a contact from the recent call list and the block numbers feature!
    Been smoke free for 4 years!!
  • CH27
    I hate the look of it. It's too brash for me.
    Works fine though.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 21st Sep 13, 10:14 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    Mista_C
    Originally posted by Iain L
    Same here. It reminds me of Windows Mobile/Windows 8 except it doesn't make my user experience more cumbersome.
    • JS477
    • By JS477 21st Sep 13, 11:10 AM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    JS477
    Can you provide a link to back this up?
    Originally posted by WTFH
    Here's one (of many) from a very disgruntled fanboy Here

Here's another Here..... not from the Daily Mail

Take your pick....Here

I could go on.
    Last edited by JS477; 21-09-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 21st Sep 13, 11:12 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    I think I'm the only one who really likes it!
    Originally posted by SaLoGo
    Nope, I'm with you.

Much better than before. You don't need your note application to look like a notepad. It isn't. You don't need your notification centre to look like it's fabric. It isn't. Absolutely 100% everything is as good or better than before IMO.

As for issues, I have had none on my 5, my wife has had none on her 5, my boss has had none on his 4S. I've been able to remove any favourite I don't want. Worked fine with iTunes on my Win 8 laptop.

As for battery life, turn off the features you don't like. I turned off the parallax effect as I didn't like it. I turned off airdrop as I don't use it. Battery life no worse than before.

TBH I think a bit like W8, people are scared of it cos it's different, and are looking for faults to justify their lack of want for the change.

To be fair-

Here's another Here
    Originally posted by JS477
    isn't good.
    Last edited by AlecEiffel; 21-09-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

5,989Users online

Martin's Twitter