Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    • 3,189Posts
    • 16,317Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free...
    • 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free... 17th Sep 13 at 9:49 AM
    Hi,

I'm Puzz, and I've been hanging around these dfw threads and diaries for a long time now... I've tried many times to sort out the money mess I have made but have now hopefully settled on a path that will lead me to where I wish to be...

What I don't know is how I didnt' know about DMP's before, as I say I've been here for at least 5 years if not longer and only discovered them in my darkest place back in July.

So this diary is to track my progress, keep me in check and maybe offer someone else some assistance along my way!

I have been in debt my entire adult existance. I am now the wrong side of 40 and still in debt. I wouldn't say I've had my head in the sand as I can tell you exactly how much I owe and to who at any given time. I have this all written in my special money book that goes back to 2008..

The debt has increased year on year, but slowly over the last 3 until this summer when it all caught up with me again and I realised that I had to do something now. I have tried snowballing but never had enough snow to throw the ball far enough away! And don't talk to me about consolidating.....

Stumbling across the dmp mutual support thread, I then researched debt management plans and went onto StepChange website did the debt remedy.. and there was my answer. I have read threads 7,8 and 9 of the dmp support thread, it is a wonderful place and if you are thinking of a dmp it is a great place to start.

My debt is huge and is going to get bigger before it gets smaller which is perfectly normal at the start of a dmp. I'm still at the sending letters and token payments stage, my new bank account is up and running and my salary switch is at the end of the month. It is at this point when my largest creditor (od/loan and cc) will be receiving the news that I don't want to do this anymore.

I spent the money I don't deny that. I have every intention of paying it back. BUT... I have paid out a fortune in interest and I no longer feel guilty that I can't do it anymore. I will be working very hard to get my creditors to play nice with me, and am more than prepared to sharpen my claws and involve the FOS when needed.

So that's the start.. I know a dmp isn't for everyone, I know it will trash my credit record, but I don't want credit anymore. I want to live again..

I think that's enough waffle for one morning, and being a cat its probably time I stretched out and had a little kip... oops no I've got work to do.... maybe later...

Christmas 2018 £100 cash/£48 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 46% paid
    £60062/32302.05 - 7259k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £490.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
Page 74
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 14th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 16,317 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Happy day...

Not something I celebrate I must say.. very

I can't seem to get going this week.. nothing unusual there....! Need to get out and do some visits today, but its so chilly....!

Nothing exciting has arrived in the post.. I got a £5 voucher from Iceland after I complained about a damaged container, I did say it was my fault for not checking before I purchased the ready meal, but they sent me a £5 anyway.. how kind. also got £3 tesco clubcard vouchers, i don't use tesco very often... a £20 Pizza Ex card from my ss for Christmas.. bit late...! and I am waiting for a voucher from Morrisons following another complaint about rubbish quality food....

Go me...

Other than that nothing very money orientated to say...

Still doing well on the walking have so far achieved 9 walks this month, totaling 4 hours 10 mins.. Just the 5 hours and 50 minutes to do in the other half of the month to meet my goal.. we shall see....

Have bff coming over tomorrow after work for bubbles and another friend over Friday evening, we shall either pop out for something to eat or get a takeaway.. so a bit spendy.. will try not to spend much over the weekend as its still awhile till payday...

dd still hoping the lecturers strike so she can come home mid week for a week.. best keep my purse shut.. although our new cinema has finally opened so no doubt a trip there and she wants a haircut.. Although I was given £20 by a friend who owed it from awhile back so that's half the hair...

Right best get on , work computer shouting at me... rude...

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £490.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 24,499 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Not been around much, a bit bogged down with Real Life stuff at the moment

My brother passed away early this morning from lung cancer. He was a non smoker but, according to a snippet on the news last night, the incidence of it among non-smokers is extremely high. Often, because it can cause no obvious symptoms, it remains undiagnosed until it's too late. He was only diagnosed at the beginning of December, and then only as a result of a totally unrelated examination, and was by then at Stage 4.

I went to see him at the weekend when the medics and his wife had decided that the kindest thing was to cease treatment and move to palliative care. I hadn't expected the end to come so soon afterwards though. I'm feeling numb and gutted at the moment. We had been a bit estranged in recent years, I feel terribly sad there were so many things that will now remain forever unsaid and sorted between us. When I was there at the weekend he was already drifting in and out of consciousness. I spoke to him but I'm not sure he could hear or understand what I was trying to say to him. It's just something I'm going to have to live with.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 14-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018. Jan ?:Feb: £236.25

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Now: £10102
    . Getting there.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 14th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 16,317 Thanks
    Puzzcat

My brother passed away early this morning from lung cancer. He was a non smoker but, according to a snippet on the news last night, the incidence of it among non-smokers is extremely high. Often, because it can cause no obvious symptoms, it remains undiagnosed until it's too late. He was only diagnosed at the beginning of December, and then only as a result of a totally unrelated examination, and was by then at Stage 4.

I went to see him at the weekend when the medics and his wife had decided that the kindest thing was to cease treatment and move to palliative care. I hadn't expected the end to come so soon afterwards though. I'm feeling numb and gutted at the moment. We had been a bit estranged in recent years, I feel terribly sad there were so many things that will now remain forever unsaid and sorted between us. When I was there at the weekend he was already drifting in and out of consciousness. I spoke to him but I'm not sure he could hear or understand what I was trying to say to him. It's just something I'm going to have to live with.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC,

So sorry to hear your sad news, thinking of you at this time. xxxx

love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £490.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 14th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 2,367 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget

Originally posted by carbootcrazy

So sorry. They do say the hearing is one of the senses that remains until the end so he will have heard the things you said, please take comfort from that sending hugs x
    • Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 15th Feb 18, 6:38 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    Morning Puzzcat, still love to read through your diaries and get so much knowledge from you and January and Carbootcrazy x oh Carbootcrazy I am so terribly sorry to hear of the passing of you brother. Sending hugs xx
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 4,858 Posts
    • 27,680 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hi CBC, so sorry to hear your news. it was sudden but it's such a horrible illness that the speed was probably for the best. take care
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £3.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss10/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 18th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 16,317 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Happy Sunday morning...

Bit noisy here as the bathroom cabinet just fell off the wall.. Luckily only OH was in the bathroom at the time.. and I blame him anyway as he leans on it.. he blamed dd's shampoo and conditioner.. umm what is a bathroom cabinet meant to hold.... Anyway that's a job for him to fix later...

So my Friday night changed plans as my friend was poorly so I got OH to pay for our takeaway.. we only have one a month so not too naughty...!

Had lost another 1lb but probably found it again after a kebab....

Yesterday LM came over and we went for a wander around the local town, I spent my £5 Iceland voucher with a top up of £4.50 netted me 7 meals.... She also bought me a bottle of wine so she could have a glass before she went home.. very

Still walking.. not sure I will hit my target of 10 hours but will give it a good go....

Today off to visit relatives this afternoon, then homemade toad in the hole for tea... trying to eat out the freezer as much as possible, although i'm not sure there is that much in there.. should do an inventory soon just to check nothing is lurking unplanned...!

I have been reading a few diaries recently and find it quite sad that people my age and younger are in similar amounts of debt as I was and have yet to turn on the full LBM and start a dmp.. If I had known about dmp's I would have done mine years ago.. ho hum..

The groundhog day cca is still going round, the debt has been passed back to ca*ot and they would like a payment plan.. umm no, have posted and emailed the 'this is UE letter' with the diary of events which is getting very long now.. and we wait and see what comes back...

Busy week of work planned and hopefully dd's return for a recharge...!

Have a lovely sunday.
    Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £490.00
    MY DIARY -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

724Posts Today

6,998Users online

Martin's Twitter