Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    • 3,173Posts
    • 16,292Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free...
    • 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free... 17th Sep 13 at 9:49 AM
    Hi,

I'm Puzz, and I've been hanging around these dfw threads and diaries for a long time now... I've tried many times to sort out the money mess I have made but have now hopefully settled on a path that will lead me to where I wish to be...

What I don't know is how I didnt' know about DMP's before, as I say I've been here for at least 5 years if not longer and only discovered them in my darkest place back in July.

So this diary is to track my progress, keep me in check and maybe offer someone else some assistance along my way!

I have been in debt my entire adult existance. I am now the wrong side of 40 and still in debt. I wouldn't say I've had my head in the sand as I can tell you exactly how much I owe and to who at any given time. I have this all written in my special money book that goes back to 2008..

The debt has increased year on year, but slowly over the last 3 until this summer when it all caught up with me again and I realised that I had to do something now. I have tried snowballing but never had enough snow to throw the ball far enough away! And don't talk to me about consolidating.....

Stumbling across the dmp mutual support thread, I then researched debt management plans and went onto StepChange website did the debt remedy.. and there was my answer. I have read threads 7,8 and 9 of the dmp support thread, it is a wonderful place and if you are thinking of a dmp it is a great place to start.

My debt is huge and is going to get bigger before it gets smaller which is perfectly normal at the start of a dmp. I'm still at the sending letters and token payments stage, my new bank account is up and running and my salary switch is at the end of the month. It is at this point when my largest creditor (od/loan and cc) will be receiving the news that I don't want to do this anymore.

I spent the money I don't deny that. I have every intention of paying it back. BUT... I have paid out a fortune in interest and I no longer feel guilty that I can't do it anymore. I will be working very hard to get my creditors to play nice with me, and am more than prepared to sharpen my claws and involve the FOS when needed.

So that's the start.. I know a dmp isn't for everyone, I know it will trash my credit record, but I don't want credit anymore. I want to live again..

I think that's enough waffle for one morning, and being a cat its probably time I stretched out and had a little kip... oops no I've got work to do.... maybe later...

Christmas 2018 £50 cash/£36 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 46% paid
    £60062/32332.05 - 7259k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £480.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
Page 73
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 31st Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 23,872 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Just dashing in to wish you and all your family a really great 2018. I hope all those who've been experiencing health issues are restored to fighting fitness before too long.

There's been a lot of doom and gloom for me this past few months but I've given myself a good talking to and realise that I had a lot to be grateful for and happy about in 2017 too.

I'm going to hit 2018 head on with all guns blazing. My millstone debts are going to be history by this time next year. Probably tempting fate given the amount of structural/remedial work we need on the house just to make it reasonably comfortable. Knowing OH's reticence to spend any money whatsoever (and he doesn't have debts, they're all mine and has masses of savings and investments) I expect I'll have to pay for some of it if I consider it essential

OH was just walking across a pedestrian crossing in town yesterday and managed to pull a muscle in his leg. No idea how that could have happened, it beggars belief. He's a poor patient and has been moaning for England since last night. It's put a stop to him decluttering/emptying one of the spare bedrooms and landing (currently full to the rafters with his hoarded stuff) as the electrician said he needs to take the floorboards up when he does the rewiring. We haven't even booked anyone to do it yet as the quotes range from £5000 upwards and OH is still in a state of shock
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 31-12-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: £4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £12411
    . Getting there.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 2nd Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 16,292 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Just dashing in to wish you and all your family a really great 2018. I hope all those who've been experiencing health issues are restored to fighting fitness before too long.

There's been a lot of doom and gloom for me this past few months but I've given myself a good talking to and realise that I had a lot to be grateful for and happy about in 2017 too.

I'm going to hit 2018 head on with all guns blazing. My millstone debts are going to be history by this time next year. Probably tempting fate given the amount of structural/remedial work we need on the house just to make it reasonably comfortable. Knowing OH's reticence to spend any money whatsoever (and he doesn't have debts, they're all mine and has masses of savings and investments) I expect I'll have to pay for some of it if I consider it essential

OH was just walking across a pedestrian crossing in town yesterday and managed to pull a muscle in his leg. No idea how that could have happened, it beggars belief. He's a poor patient and has been moaning for England since last night. It's put a stop to him decluttering/emptying one of the spare bedrooms and landing (currently full to the rafters with his hoarded stuff) as the electrician said he needs to take the floorboards up when he does the rewiring. We haven't even booked anyone to do it yet as the quotes range from £5000 upwards and OH is still in a state of shock
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hello cbc,

And a very happy new year to you.. very very happy if you will be debt free as well..

I think you will just have to turn your OH upside down and shake him hard...tell him that 2018 is the year for spending not saving and its his duty to comply...

Hope 2018 is good too you.

Love puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £480.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 2nd Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 16,292 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Monday... oops.. no Tuesday.. I'm confused already..

New Year came and went and yet again I was in bed before midnight.. didn't even hear the fireworks, just how I like it..

So another new year, wonder what 2018 will have in store for us all.. good things I hope.!

Not a lot to report yet.... Finally have managed to get the bank to process OH's transfer so he can enjoy his holiday instead of getting pocket money from my sister.. They have refunded one of the fees but I have put in a complaint so hopefully will get the other back as well.. currently £20 richer than I was yesterday...

Usual plans for the New Year.. eat less, drink less, move more, save more.. actually not sure I can do much about the last one but will give it a go....

It's grey and wet here today.. joy... have spent the morning on the phone for work and will hit the office this afternoon..

DD still snoozing so time I went up and gave her a little prod...

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £480.00
    MY DIARY -
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 2nd Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 7,944 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    A Very Happy New Year to you Puzz - I hope it's a good one for you.

NOAh
    xx
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £173,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 9th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 16,292 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    A Very Happy New Year to you Puzz - I hope it's a good one for you.

NOAh
    xx
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    Happy New Year to you too Noah. xxx
    Pot Of Gold - £480.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 9th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 16,292 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Wow... I think this year is going to go faster than last...already into the second week of January...

Not a lot been happening.. The bank refunded me £100 for the very unswift swift transfers so that was good.. unfortunately I am now being hit with fees from the transferring bank (assume in oz..) had the first through and hoping its a set rate not based on the amount transferred or I will be very poor....!!! ho hum.....

Received a letter back from wesc*ot to say I needed to send a £1 for a cca... do they not read letters...!!! Have emailed it all back to them with a timeline of events so far.. no word yet will give it to the end of the week and may have to resort to posting it again....

Have been on the treadmill 5 times since the new year...

Still fat mind...!!

DD goes back to her rental hosue for a night this week.. no idea if the ovens fixed or the boiler working as no one appears to communicate..I even left a message for the landlady and she hasn't replied... annoying a little.... and the train strikes don't help.....

I have booked Thursday afternoon and Friday off.. Thursday drop dd at station, meet LM for lunch then visiting a colleague who is off work following an op for a cuppa... Friday I will chill and do some home jobs and may pop into town for a wander....

That's about all for now...

Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £480.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 12th Jan 18, 3:42 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 23,872 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    You say not a lot has been happening but I always feel lots of interesting things are going on in Puzzland. I hope you enjoy your Friday chilling. I think I've lost the art of chilling although I could write a book about being chilly

My car refused to start on Wednesday morning and I was very annoyed as I had an appointment that had been a nightmare to schedule in the first place. OH had lent his jump leads to someone months ago and they hadn't returned them so he disconnected my battery and took it to a battery place for testing. He knows them there and trusts them and they tested it and said it was beyond resuscitation. It was only a cheapie when I bought it and I've had it years so it doesn't owe me anything. I was just surprised it suddenly died as it was OK the day before and the car had never failed to start at the first turn of the ignition key. I expected there would be more amiss with my old car than the battery. Panic stations as I need all my savings for F&Fs.

OH brought a new battery home and fitted it and everything was fine. Phew. Cost me less than £50 with a 3 year guarantee so I'm well pleased. OH had also, at long last, twigged that I'm feeling very down at the moment what with all the c*** that life has thrown my way lately and he bought me a lottery Lucky Dip ticket on his way home with the battery to cheer me up. Better than flowers or a bottle of wine (and a whole lot cheaper for him) as it won £25 for 3 matching numbers in that night's lottery

I had to go to have my hair trimmed yesterday as I'll be visiting my brother next week. I haven't seen him for a few years and I didn't want to turn up looking like Worzel Gummidge. SIL is a regular at the hairdressers, buys all the latest make-up products, has her nails done regularly, the works. I spend as little as possible on my grooming but I think I 'scrub up' reasonably well when necessary so would rather save my pennies

The stylist who did my hair was really good and I was delighted with the result especially as I went on the pensioners' discount day. Did have an uncharacteristically spendy afternoon though as I desperately needed a massive shoulder bag to carry all my stuff during a train journey of several hours and 2 train changes when I go to my brother's. Been meaning to buy one for ages but it was always a 'want' rather than a 'need' until now. Bought a few other bits and bobs for myself too and while not particularly expensive cost more than I've spent on myself for years. The joys of doing token payments on my self-managed DMP, eh?

I may not have posted on here since my SIL phoned me last week to say my brother has been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer (a non-smoker at that). They have ruled out an operation or radiotherapy and he just has the option of chemo. They have given him 'months', hence my plans to visit asap. I won't be going in my car because I'd worry too much about it getting there and back without mishap. OK for pottering about locally here but not for a journey of around 300 miles in the winter on my own. Have been looking at the cheapest train travel but even that is a problem because of strikes in various areas.

Got home yesterday to a letter from Wescot about my Lloyds cc debt saying Lloyds would be amenable to a settlement figure for the debt. This is my biggest debt by far (over £7000) but when I phoned Wescot today they couldn't give me a clue what sort of figure Lloyds had in mind. They say I must contact them with a proposed settlement figure and they'll put it to Lloyds and let me know if they'll accept it. This is the first settlement that any creditor has offered so I was very pleased. Lloyds are not the easiest to deal with. Got to decide now what to start my opening offer at. Quite a nice problem to have though as this time last year when I was still paying very big repayments via Stepchange I didn't have any savings to pay a settlement with.

I hope you have a nice weekend
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 12-01-2018 at 3:50 PM.

. Getting there.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 27,356 Thanks
    in need of direction
    A real mixed bag of happenings, some good some not so good. Glad you were able to pick up some things that you needed.
    I've never done an offer but I'm sure there's advice on here about where to start.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £355.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 9/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 23,872 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    A real mixed bag of happenings, some good some not so good. Glad you were able to pick up some things that you needed.
    I've never done an offer but I'm sure there's advice on here about where to start.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thanks.

I've asked on either the DMP support thread or F&F settlement thread (one of these was where I first met Puzzcat) and the concensus seems to be to start at around 35% (that's a 65% discount). No use going in too high and having my hand snatched off. If they don't like the offer they can always counter with something higher. I understand it's quite common to bat offers too and fro for ages until something mutually acceptable is found.

I've never had any funds available before to play this game so I'm quite looking forward to it

. Getting there.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 21st Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 23,872 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Just popping in to catch up with your doings, Puzzcat, and I see you haven't posted for a whole week. I hope everything is OK in Puzzworld

. Getting there.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 21st Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 16,292 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Puzz went AWOL....

Not sure where the week went to be honest..!! Have been doing loads of revision with dd.... oh my American Literature is so boring...... luckily I was usually on the treadmill so had to stay awake...!!

Otherwise just plodding along.. diet slow.. down a lb this week so 5lbs in total so far this year but piggy weekend so doubt there will be much improvement next week despite my regular exercise...ho hum..

OH due back on Thursday.. gosh that month went quick.. hope he's ready to go back to work as funds are running low....

Dropped dd to the station as she has exams and essays over the next few days.. she has been back to her home and has a working oven.. and heating... and one of the other girls is moving back in today as well so a little bit of company as well.. She has gone off to the library to study.. bless

Met LF for lunch this week, he was in good spirits.. LM still a little bonkers must give her a ring shortly...

Just back from town, spent one of my gift cards on a new handbag, mine was shameful... and bought a top in the sales which if I choose to keep will wear to my friends 50th birthday outing next weekend.. organised by me.. let's hope its ok.. will be spendy but I have £150 in the birthday pot and no birthdays until March so can use most of that..

The endless cca complaint is still going round in circles.. its like groundhog day...

10 days till payday.. still holding on to a little cash but with trains/buses etc it is dwindling...

Right off to drink my cuppa.. and then jump on the treadmill...

Much Love..
    Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £480.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 22nd Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 16,292 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Happy Monday Morning..

10 minutes until dd finishes her exam.. will it be smiles or tears??

Have decided to remove cab*t/m & s debt from my signature as I haven't heard a peep from them for 4 months and if necessary I will add it back..

So current situation is £7259 Unenforceable due to lack of CCA documentation.. Still keeping my fingers crossed about the big one but that is still going round and round the houses.....

So close to 50% now... but still a long way to go especially on token payments..

LF loan for car down to £2700 now so 27 months to go, although he does keep trying to write it off.. the debt that is not the car... But I would rather pay my way...

Right best get ready for my phone call...

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £480.00
    MY DIARY -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,594Posts Today

5,223Users online

Martin's Twitter