Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    • 3,154Posts
    • 16,265Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free...
    • 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free... 17th Sep 13 at 9:49 AM
    Hi,

I'm Puzz, and I've been hanging around these dfw threads and diaries for a long time now... I've tried many times to sort out the money mess I have made but have now hopefully settled on a path that will lead me to where I wish to be...

What I don't know is how I didnt' know about DMP's before, as I say I've been here for at least 5 years if not longer and only discovered them in my darkest place back in July.

So this diary is to track my progress, keep me in check and maybe offer someone else some assistance along my way!

I have been in debt my entire adult existance. I am now the wrong side of 40 and still in debt. I wouldn't say I've had my head in the sand as I can tell you exactly how much I owe and to who at any given time. I have this all written in my special money book that goes back to 2008..

The debt has increased year on year, but slowly over the last 3 until this summer when it all caught up with me again and I realised that I had to do something now. I have tried snowballing but never had enough snow to throw the ball far enough away! And don't talk to me about consolidating.....

Stumbling across the dmp mutual support thread, I then researched debt management plans and went onto StepChange website did the debt remedy.. and there was my answer. I have read threads 7,8 and 9 of the dmp support thread, it is a wonderful place and if you are thinking of a dmp it is a great place to start.

My debt is huge and is going to get bigger before it gets smaller which is perfectly normal at the start of a dmp. I'm still at the sending letters and token payments stage, my new bank account is up and running and my salary switch is at the end of the month. It is at this point when my largest creditor (od/loan and cc) will be receiving the news that I don't want to do this anymore.

I spent the money I don't deny that. I have every intention of paying it back. BUT... I have paid out a fortune in interest and I no longer feel guilty that I can't do it anymore. I will be working very hard to get my creditors to play nice with me, and am more than prepared to sharpen my claws and involve the FOS when needed.

So that's the start.. I know a dmp isn't for everyone, I know it will trash my credit record, but I don't want credit anymore. I want to live again..

I think that's enough waffle for one morning, and being a cat its probably time I stretched out and had a little kip... oops no I've got work to do.... maybe later...

Christmas 2018 £0 cash/£17 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC 41% paid
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
Page 71
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 13th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 7,756 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Hope you found your smile Puzz, It's not like you to not have one

when I feel down I do this (alongside a cuppa)

(sorry couldn't find one with a choc reindeer
    I love that you are packing off the Christmas grumpies wish I could do the same!!! :

love
    NOAh
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £173,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 14th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Hope you found your smile Puzz, It's not like you to not have one

when I feel down I do this (alongside a cuppa)

(sorry couldn't find one with a choc reindeer
    I love that you are packing off the Christmas grumpies wish I could do the same!!! :

love
    NOAh
    x
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    Thanks Noah. xx
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 14th Nov 17, 11:20 AM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Glad to say I feel much better today...

Still appear to have lost my work mojo, but hopefully will find it soon... spent the afternoon in the office with my many mad work colleagues and that brightened me up....

In the evening dd was a bit glum on the phone, she was stressed about the state of the bathroom and kitchen, 2 of the girls are a little mucky apparently... she then decided to go and do some cleaning and the 4th girl joined in (not the mucky one's) and they did the 2 rooms and dd is now much calmer... also arranged to go down for lunch on Sunday with OH as he will be away when she's home the following weekend..

So fingers crossed for a more smiley rest of the week.. well only 2 more days for me as I am off Friday taking LM mobile phone shopping....

Still very chilly in my house despite the heating being on and I now have a cat on my lap.. but a cup of tea in the kitchen.. oh well he can have 5 minutes.. and I shall head to the office again later and get out and about doing visits the other days..

No money news... 2 weeks till payday.. no socials planned for November, just dd's train tickets to pay for..

Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 15th Nov 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Hump Day...

And my mojo has done a serious bunk this week... I am fighting my grey clouds and do have appointments tomorrow but otherwise I am writing this week off and will start afresh on Monday....

I have received a letter from wesc*t saying they are now investigating my complaint about my natsvest cca.. well they bought the debt literally the same time as I cca'd Natsvest.. wish they would just hurry up and agree its UE, I would love to write off this one as its just shy of 9K.... I haven't stopped paying this one or the M & S one that I am still waiting for 2 months and counting... as its such a faff setting them up again but I should as it might speed up the decisions...

Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 15th Nov 17, 3:13 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Sending a to anyone who needs one today...xx

Keep On Smiling

© Alexandra Skiathitis

Published: February 2008

If at times you feel you want to cry.
    And life seems such a trial.
    Above the clouds there's a bright blue sky
    So make your tears a smile.

As you travel on life's way
    With its many ups and downs
    Remember it's quite true to say
    One smile is worth a dozen frowns.

Among the worlds expensive things
    A smile is very cheap
    And when you give a smile away,
    You get one back to keep.

Happiness comes at times to all
    But sadness comes unbidden
    And sometimes a few tears must fall
    Among the laughter hidden.

So when friends have sadness on their face
    And troubles round them piled
    The world will seem a better place
    And all because you smiled.

The end
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 15th Nov 17, 7:00 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 7,756 Thanks
    NoOneAround

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,832 Thanks
    in need of direction
    that made me well up
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 16th Nov 17, 1:05 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 23,317 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sending a to anyone who needs one today...xx

Keep On Smiling

© Alexandra Skiathitis

Published: February 2008

If at times you feel you want to cry.
    And life seems such a trial.
    Above the clouds there's a bright blue sky
    So make your tears a smile.

As you travel on life's way
    With its many ups and downs
    Remember it's quite true to say
    One smile is worth a dozen frowns.

Among the worlds expensive things
    A smile is very cheap
    And when you give a smile away,
    You get one back to keep.

Happiness comes at times to all
    But sadness comes unbidden
    And sometimes a few tears must fall
    Among the laughter hidden.

So when friends have sadness on their face
    And troubles round them piled
    The world will seem a better place
    And all because you smiled.

The end
    Originally posted by Puzzcat
    That's lovely, Puzz. An inspiration to all of us.

After your lovely and caring PM I've given myself a good talking to and have made myself try to impose some normality on my life again (if anything in cbc-land could ever be considered normal).

Now to give myself few kicks up the rear to get my debts sorted once and for all. I've been fiddling with my signature and will try to get myself up to date with developments in debtland asap.

Hugs to LM and LF
    Take care xxx
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: £4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £12411
    . Getting there.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    That's lovely, Puzz. An inspiration to all of us.

After your lovely and caring PM I've given myself a good talking to and have made myself try to impose some normality on my life again (if anything in cbc-land could ever be considered normal).

Now to give myself few kicks up the rear to get my debts sorted once and for all. I've been fiddling with my signature and will try to get myself up to date with developments in debtland asap.

Hugs to LM and LF
    Take care xxx
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    welcome back cbc here's a dodgy hug....

Love Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Happy Friday and my weekend started today....

Took LM to get a new smartphone instead of the 10 year old broken nokia she has been working with.. then spent the afternoon teaching her how to use some of the basic tasks... think it may be awhile until I hear from her again.... I am sure she will get the hang of it eventually...!!

LF has started his treatment and seems in reasonable spirits at the moment.. or maybe just drinking lots of spirits...

The Natsvest cca saga continues.. Having originally cca'd them they promptly sold the debt at the same time to cab*t/wesc*t not sure who now.. NW sent me a dubious cca which I was told was UE so I then sent the appropriate letter to NW who then said they are investigating and then yesterday I got a letter from the dca saying they were investigating and today I got a letter from NW saying its not down to us its down to the dca.... oh well I expect someone will give me an answer when I stop paying them at the end of the month....

Right off to chill now after my Phone teaching session this afternoon, I am quite worn out now...!!!

Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 20th Nov 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 7,756 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Have a smiley week Puzz
    NOAh
    x
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 20th Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Have a smiley week Puzz
    NOAh
    x
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    And the same to you Noah.. xx
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 20th Nov 17, 12:19 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Monday... my favorite day of the week..not......

But Puzz is reasonably smiley today which is good... will shortly be going into the office, don't think I have a desk so may have to sit on the floor but ho hum.. puzz will get seen...!

The weekend whizzed past as usual.... Friday daytime was spent with LM and her new phone.. she hasn't worked out how to use it yet as got stressed with a dead battery in her car and a letter from the bank that despite me saying was computer generated she still had to call them to make sure it wasn't personal.. they were only offering an overdraft facility... Bless she is also stressed as she has yet again agreed to run around for my nieces at the end of the week, despite my continually telling her to say no and then she moans at me but not at them.... this needs sorting asap.....

So I have taken a half day tomorrow to sit with her again and try and teach the use of the phone.. although if she mentions my nieces one more time... I may get

Friday night dd and I had words (quite rare...) and then I was upset with that and then OH left his keys in his van at work so woke me at 1.30 to let him in... not a happy puzzz.... Saturday not a lot bit of housework....

Yesterday OH and I took dd out to lunch, all was lovely and she apologised for being a mare on Friday night. OH paid so that was good and I took her a very exciting bag of toilet rolls, bin bags, etc.... she is home again this Friday and I supplied the train tickets too.. I am a good puzz mum really..

So back to this week.... well let's hope its more productive than last.. the treadmill is still waving at me.. must wave back sometime soon.....

No money news.. haven't really got any spare at the moment, no letters... all quiet...

love Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 21st Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 23,317 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi Puzz. I hope all is well in your world at the moment

I expect the excitement and anticipation is really building for you by now as I know how much you love Christmas

I've been having a mare of a time over months with Santander. I requested a SAR in the summer and sent a £10 postal order. Lloyds and M&S Bank both responded with huge parcels of stuff within the 40 day limit but nothing came from Santander except a speedy acknowledgement of receipt of the request and the money. I phoned them weeks ago and the operative couldn't even find me on their 'system', in fact she was so inept and had to keep leaving me on hold while she conferred and scrabbled around that I thought she was a schoolgirl on work experience.

After a couple more weeks I contacted their Complaints department and lodged a formal complaint. The woman there was much more professional and said she'd phone me within days. Of course, nothing happened but she did phoe yesterday full of apologies that it had taken so long. She'd traced my details and said I would have to apply again but, this time bizarrely, going into a branch to do it. What's all that about????. She said she'll authorise a cheque to be sent to me for the initial £10 and £25 compensation for inconvenience but I may have to pay the £10 again in branch.

I got off the phone before I could ask if I need to take any documentation in with me and I rang my local branch to check. It's a fair old trek so I only want to go in once. The person I spoke to there hadn't a clue what I was talking about. I have to phone tomorrow to speak to her superior. It's a very small branch with just a couple of staff unless the peripatetic 'boss' is there.

If I ever receive the info that I'm legally entitled to it will be a miracle. I'm not giving up though or taking prisoners
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 21-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.

. Getting there.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 28th Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Nearly happy hump day...

Had dd home for the weekend.. well I dropped her back at the station today so a 4 night weekend... we didn't do much except catch up with some tv and do some Christmas.. shopping...

I have nearly finished now apart from my nieces and the cats..! so what is left will be spent on dd/Christmas food and I like to give a bit to charity.. this year I am buying non perishables and donating to the food bank as they are doing a collection in our local village..

Nothing exciting to report.. still no word from Natsvest or M & S.. so will let the payments for my dmp go through for December then will stop them until they remember they are suppose to be communicating with me...! Saves me a £10 a month..

Which I need as I have booked a holiday with my BF for next October and it costs more than our savings will cover at the current rate so need to up it by... £10 a month....

LM still driving me mad with her phone, although she has been strangely quiet today.... but its only 5pm.....

Appointments tomorrow and Thursday then Friday need to get house sorted as I have a friend staying overnight and then my nieces birthday party on Saturday.. so much excitement over one weekend...!!!!

Payday tomorrow... Looking forwards to juggling my pennies around for another month....

That's about it folks...

Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 28th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 23,317 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I bet it was lovely to have DD home for a few days even though you say you didn't do much. Just being together is often enough

My life isn't anything like as action-packed and eventful as yours always seems to be. The highlight of the past few days has been receiving a box of 4 loo rolls to test. I'm giddy with excitement. At least it will save a bit of money as I get through so many. Too much information really but I know I'm very wasteful

Managed to get the Santander situation sorted eventually. Even applying for the SAR in branch was fraught though as their computer system had been 'down' earlier the morning I was there and their appointments were running very late. The lady I saw was really nice and said she'd personally see to it that my payment and form would go to Head Office that same afternoon. The postman brought my promised refund/compensation cheque the same afternoon. I'm feeling slightly more happy about Santander now but not altogether so until I actually receive the SAR stuff

Just a quick query if you don't mind me being nosey. Just tell me to push off/ignore me if it is. I know you got a Cap 1 cc just before me with a really low credit limit like mine. I just wondered whether they had upped your limit after a year of being a good girl. I haven't heard anything yet myself. It's not that I want/need any more available credit but it would make me feel I've made a good start on rehabilitating myself after being untouchable

. Getting there.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 30th Nov 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    I bet it was lovely to have DD home for a few days even though you say you didn't do much. Just being together is often enough

My life isn't anything like as action-packed and eventful as yours always seems to be. The highlight of the past few days has been receiving a box of 4 loo rolls to test. I'm giddy with excitement. At least it will save a bit of money as I get through so many. Too much information really but I know I'm very wasteful

Managed to get the Santander situation sorted eventually. Even applying for the SAR in branch was fraught though as their computer system had been 'down' earlier the morning I was there and their appointments were running very late. The lady I saw was really nice and said she'd personally see to it that my payment and form would go to Head Office that same afternoon. The postman brought my promised refund/compensation cheque the same afternoon. I'm feeling slightly more happy about Santander now but not altogether so until I actually receive the SAR stuff

Just a quick query if you don't mind me being nosey. Just tell me to push off/ignore me if it is. I know you got a Cap 1 cc just before me with a really low credit limit like mine. I just wondered whether they had upped your limit after a year of being a good girl. I haven't heard anything yet myself. It's not that I want/need any more available credit but it would make me feel I've made a good start on rehabilitating myself after being untouchable
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi cbc,

Well done on the free toilet rolls... we use quite a few here as well.....

My cc isn't cap one it is the one beginning with V ... but they haven't increased my limit either, but do keep offering me an increase if I do a balance transfer.. of course I don't have any balances too transfer so that's pointless...!!! I also wish they would as it would be nice to have the facility to use for paying for flights etc.. the good old debit card doesn't have the same back up if things go wrong but hey ho... we shall just have to wait..!!!

Hope your keeping well.

Love Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 30th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Afternoon...

Off out shortly to play on the trains... brr its soo cold....

DD rang last night to say they were all really cold and then realised the heating wasn't working.. they had run out of money on the gas... they will learn eventually....!!!!

Payday been and gone.. done my potting for my savings.. all growing nicely even if they have taken a hit last month with me booking a holiday and some tickets to a gig for dd...

Nothing very exciting to report..... off to drink my cuppa and then brave the outside......

Love Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 30th Nov 17, 1:35 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 23,317 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Woke up to see a covering of snow and as the morning wore on the snow has been falling really heavily. Still doing it. My poor old car looks like an igloo but as I don't even have to set foot outside the house before Saturday I'm not too worried.

I saw on the TV news that there had been a few snowflakes in London too so I hope it doesn't get worse for you.

Poor DD and friends with no heating. OH never feels cold (I'm sure in this case it isn't just a penny-pinching excuse on his part ) but I certainly do. I can forgo all luxuries in life (already have) and even essentials but not anything that involves keeping myself warm.

Take care xxx

. Getting there.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 8th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,265 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Doesn't time fly......

So its Friday again.... The downside is I am off out tonight and as most of you will know I am not keen on the old social side of things.... It is for a very old friends birthday, as in I have known her a long time not she is really old... but it is a bit of disjointed evening as 3 are going out for lunch and 3 of us aren't.. we are just meeting in the evening.. bit like only being invited to the evening do of a wedding. but hey ho.. we are off to the theatre which I am sure will be lovely and transport is all sorted so I have no idea why my anxiety is so high...

Really looking forwards to tomorrow....then no more socials ..hurrah...

So other than today.. I had a friend over last friday and we stayed up till 3.30am Saturday was a write off, apart from a visit to my niece's birthday party.. short and sweet...!

Sunday more phone training with LM.. and I cooked her some meals for her freezer... good daughter that I am.. Saw my dad on the Saturday too, he didn't look well at all and we are meeting next week.

The grey dog is pushing its way in every day and I am trying to bat it off.. I feel very unorganised for Christmas even though I'm not but there just seems so many things to get done...

Went to visit dd on Tuesday, very long day and was still shattered yesterday but lovely to spend time with her and she will be home a week today.....

So tomorrow I am hoping to get the Christmas tree up and do some wrapping, need to write the rest of my Christmas cards and then Sunday snow permitting... was planning on heading to town to finish Christmas shopping.. that is the current plan anyway..

No money news, have won the euro millions twice in a row.. total win £6.10... so hoping third time lucky tonight with a big one.....

That''s about it for the update..

Puzz. x
    £60062/35473.49 - 4k UE
    Pot Of Gold - £470.00
    MY DIARY -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin