Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    • 3,878Posts
    • 16,054Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free...
    • 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free... 17th Sep 13 at 9:49 AM
    Hi,

I'm Puzz, and I've been hanging around these dfw threads and diaries for a long time now... I've tried many times to sort out the money mess I have made but have now hopefully settled on a path that will lead me to where I wish to be...

What I don't know is how I didnt' know about DMP's before, as I say I've been here for at least 5 years if not longer and only discovered them in my darkest place back in July.

So this diary is to track my progress, keep me in check and maybe offer someone else some assistance along my way!

I have been in debt my entire adult existance. I am now the wrong side of 40 and still in debt. I wouldn't say I've had my head in the sand as I can tell you exactly how much I owe and to who at any given time. I have this all written in my special money book that goes back to 2008..

The debt has increased year on year, but slowly over the last 3 until this summer when it all caught up with me again and I realised that I had to do something now. I have tried snowballing but never had enough snow to throw the ball far enough away! And don't talk to me about consolidating.....

Stumbling across the dmp mutual support thread, I then researched debt management plans and went onto StepChange website did the debt remedy.. and there was my answer. I have read threads 7,8 and 9 of the dmp support thread, it is a wonderful place and if you are thinking of a dmp it is a great place to start.

My debt is huge and is going to get bigger before it gets smaller which is perfectly normal at the start of a dmp. I'm still at the sending letters and token payments stage, my new bank account is up and running and my salary switch is at the end of the month. It is at this point when my largest creditor (od/loan and cc) will be receiving the news that I don't want to do this anymore.

I spent the money I don't deny that. I have every intention of paying it back. BUT... I have paid out a fortune in interest and I no longer feel guilty that I can't do it anymore. I will be working very hard to get my creditors to play nice with me, and am more than prepared to sharpen my claws and involve the FOS when needed.

So that's the start.. I know a dmp isn't for everyone, I know it will trash my credit record, but I don't want credit anymore. I want to live again..

I think that's enough waffle for one morning, and being a cat its probably time I stretched out and had a little kip... oops no I've got work to do.... maybe later...

Christmas 2017 300 cash/80 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC 33% paid
    Going Self Managed March 2016
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
Page 65
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 11th Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Afternoon...

Its been a long day already... weekend passed in a blur even though it was a 4 day one for me.. nothing achieved except normal house stuff and Oh finally mowed the lawn....

CAT News..

So at the weekend I was browsing the rescue centers online and came across a lost black fluffy cat not far from me.. the photo didn't look like bad cat (who we have now named steve..) but I emailed them anyway.. They came back after contacting the owner and he had been found... so.. I thought maybe they can help me.. so a few calls and emails later and I have a trap in my garden... Its rather nerve racking, I have got my direct neighbours to keep the boys in, but who knows who else strays into my garden...!

I did pop some food out this morning pre trap arriving and saw Steve eating it.. so fingers crossed this works... hopefully it won't take weeks.... The lovely lady also tried to recruite me to assist the rescue.. could be a thought but I'd like to get this problem sorted first...!

I am of course stuck at home but won't be able to stay in all day everyday... come on Steve, come and eat some lovely food in my garden.......

Nothing else exciting to report.. dd is doing lots of sleeping... nothing unusual there...

No money news, trying not to spend any.. although have spotted a rather nice garden furniture set with 25% off.. we need new furniture assuming I get my garden back to use....!!

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Apr 17, 1:12 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 20,279 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC,

Bet your enjoying your man free home...!!! ...

Love Puzz. x
    Originally posted by Puzzcat
    Absolutely loving it
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Apr: 1240.02. May: 380.96
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : 32316. Balance: 24488
    • Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 11th Apr 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    Hello Puzz, I do hope the trap works for Steve, fingers crossed. My fur babies are indoors as well unless I am in the garden with them. I do hope your LM doing ok as well. I have just managed to catch up on you latest happenings and I do love your diary. I've learned so much and so inspired and no longer feel so ashamed. Losing count of my saving pots lol! Everyone is so lovely too.

Hope CBC is making most of the me time too while OH away.

It is such a good feeling to come to this site and know that everyone understands the journey of debt, and I have been on my DMP a long time and ashamed to say gained more credit half way through and second LBM was in 2015. But lesson learned big time. I often look at friends and work colleagues and wonder what stories they have hidden away, as I am sure if anyone knew my money journey they would be so shocked as I am so organised and the one who everyone relies on for the answers.

Well hope I haven't waffled too much and eager to hear what happens with Steve.

take care x
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 13th Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Hello Puzz, I do hope the trap works for Steve, fingers crossed. My fur babies are indoors as well unless I am in the garden with them. I do hope your LM doing ok as well. I have just managed to catch up on you latest happenings and I do love your diary. I've learned so much and so inspired and no longer feel so ashamed. Losing count of my saving pots lol! Everyone is so lovely too.

Hope CBC is making most of the me time too while OH away.

It is such a good feeling to come to this site and know that everyone understands the journey of debt, and I have been on my DMP a long time and ashamed to say gained more credit half way through and second LBM was in 2015. But lesson learned big time. I often look at friends and work colleagues and wonder what stories they have hidden away, as I am sure if anyone knew my money journey they would be so shocked as I am so organised and the one who everyone relies on for the answers.

Well hope I haven't waffled too much and eager to hear what happens with Steve.

take care x
    Originally posted by Daydreambeliever
    Hi Daydreambeliever, Thanks for coming to say hello, waffle is good, we like a good chat on here... update on catgate coming next....

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 13th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Morning..

Cat gate.. I keep singing that song... "I'm caught in a trap".. unfortunately so far steve has evaded the trap.. yesterday I had to go to a meeting and when I got back the trap had been entered and closed but no cat.. not sure how it could get out as to release the door they have to go a fair way in.. ho hum.. trying again.. sardines and cat nip today. and I have relocated it under a little table.. who am I trying to fool.. cats are intelligent creatures.. just hope he's hungry and likes the smell of cat nip...!

Neighbour threw a hissy fit on Monday evening as her cat had an accident on her rug.. well tough.. I offered to clean it for her as she is a bit blonde and girly and said in exchange she can clean the dried up cat food off the metal trap under my garden table.. she didn't accept my offer but we are now on day 3 with all our cats in, if not caught today I expect we will have to leave it for the Easter weekend and try again next week.. or it could go in there porch for a night... rescue not keen on trap being left out overnight.. we will see.. fingers crossed, everybody pray... come on steve get in the trap...!!!

My cats although a little bored don't seem that bothered and just potter back to bed after meals...

Work taken a back seat this week so will have to up my game next week....!

And I bought the garden furniture.. ours is 9 years old, wooden, been stripped and varnished many times and is in danger of collapse so hoping I get my garden back, NO when I get my garden back we will have new furniture to sit on.. 25% off.. paid for in cash of course..

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 20,279 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sorry you haven't caught Steve yet. Keep trying. He might just not be hungry if he's the sort of cat that sneaks into people's houses and steals their cat's food.

Why don't the Rescue people like the trap being left out overnight? Seems illogical as I would have thought it was the time when cats are on the prowl. Maybe they think you won't check until morning and a cat may have been trapped in there for many hours overnight and be stressed.

In my experience of using traps (I did a lot of voluntary work for a small local animal sanctuary and have successfully caught many a cat) I've never known one where the cat can go in, eat the food and get out again. Sounds as if yours is faulty. I'd contact the Rescue place for advice. I once tried to trap a cat in a very overgrown area by a disused railway line. I went to check the trap at dawn every day and there was a different cat in it every time. I must have caught all the pet cats in the neighbourhood at one time or another. I caught one cat twice, it wasn't very bright. Obviously I released them all with no harm done to them but I never did manage to catch the elusive cat that I was after
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 13-04-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

• Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 13th Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Sorry you haven't caught Steve yet. Keep trying. He might just not be hungry if he's the sort of cat that sneaks into people's houses and steals their cat's food.

Why don't the Rescue people like the trap being left out overnight? Seems illogical as I would have thought it was the time when cats are on the prowl. Maybe they think you won't check until morning and a cat may have been trapped in there for many hours overnight and be stressed.

In my experience of using traps (I did a lot of voluntary work for a small local animal sanctuary and have successfully caught many a cat) I've never known one where the cat can go in, eat the food and get out again. Sounds as if yours is faulty. I'd contact the Rescue place for advice. I once tried to trap a cat in a very overgrown area by a disused railway line. I went to check the trap at dawn every day and there was a different cat in it every time. I must have caught all the pet cats in the neighbourhood at one time or another. I caught one cat twice, it wasn't very bright. Obviously I released them all with no harm done to them but I never did manage to catch the elusive cat that I was after
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi cbc,

I don't think its faulty as I press the 'panel' to make it shut of an evening and it works fine, Whoever it was hadn't got as far as the food at the back so I think they got lucky and pressed the panel but were still near enough to escape..

Now I can pick your brains.. what food did you find most effective? and did you use any other tricks..??

I have just watched steve wandering up the other side of the road, in and out of everyone's front gardens.. he then crossed over to my side.. I am willing him to visit me.. bit of a change from previous..

The rescue don't like the idea of an animal.. cat/fox being trapped in the box whilst we all sleep.. personally I'm not sure I care, but I hope I don't trap a fox it would have to stay in until I could find a neighbour to let it out...! hate foxes....

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 20,279 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi cbc,

The rescue don't like the idea of an animal.. cat/fox being trapped in the box whilst we all sleep..
    Love Puzz. x
    Yes, I thought it might be that reason.

As to what 'bait' we used, it varied. Just 'normal' cat food often did the trick, preferably something strong-smelling. Your idea of sardines sounds good, although my own cat doesn't like anything fishy. I suppose a hungry stray will try anything though. Never tried catnip but sounds like a good idea.

Put the food well into the trap so it can only get at it by venturing right in. Leave a tempting little trail of food leading to the trap (not too much to sate it's appetite before it gets there though) although the disadvantage is that some other creature such as a bird or hedgehog might eat that.

Cats are willy little critters, you need to think of everything you can to outsmart them

Good Luck

My own cat (unlike myself) is really missing OH this week. He's wandering around like a lost soul and has barely touched his food even though I cooked a chicken specially as it's his favourite.

• Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 13th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Got the cat.....
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Apr 17, 9:35 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 20,279 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Got the cat.....
    Brilliant! What happens now?

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    • 4,250 Posts
    • 23,741 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Well done you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 83,478.58, target 75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today 3,415.43 target 5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund 5.5k & 200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 20,279 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Puzz, I'm not sure whether the animal charity who helped you with the trap is the RSPCA or not. I no longer have anything to do with them (for various things that I don't agree with) but I do know that their policy used to be that when they caught feral cats and removed them from farms and so on locally they took them and neutered them (for free). Then they brought them back and released them into the same territory. I'm not sure it was altogether because their rehoming centres are full to bursting, but after all, who wants to take on and give a home to a mature once-feral Tom cat? They believed it was more humane for the cats concerned. I just couldn't agree with that as although neutering a feral Tom might remove some of it's 'roaming' instincts and hopefully make it less bolshie it doesn't just 'reform' it's ways. The ones that were returned still came round looking for food and generally being a nuisance.

Don't want to rain on your parade but thought it worth a mention.

• Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 14th Apr 17, 9:13 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Brilliant! What happens now?
    Well done you.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Puzz, I'm not sure whether the animal charity who helped you with the trap is the RSPCA or not. I no longer have anything to do with them (for various things that I don't agree with) but I do know that their policy used to be that when they caught feral cats and removed them from farms and so on locally they took them and neutered them (for free). Then they brought them back and released them into the same territory. I'm not sure it was altogether because their rehoming centres are full to bursting, but after all, who wants to take on and give a home to a mature once-feral Tom cat? They believed it was more humane for the cats concerned. I just couldn't agree with that as although neutering a feral Tom might remove some of it's 'roaming' instincts and hopefully make it less bolshie it doesn't just 'reform' it's ways. The ones that were returned still came round looking for food and generally being a nuisance.

Don't want to rain on your parade but thought it worth a mention.
    Good Morning.... and my cats are out enjoying the garden as they should be...

Thank you for my messages...

cbc, no the rspca round here don't do anything except raise money from what i can gather.. this was the good old fashioned CPL...

So update on bad cat/steve.. so yesterday at about 5.30 I texted my neighbour and the cpl lady to say no luck today and then literally minutes later looked out the back garden and saw steve walking towards the trap... my heart was in my mouth and my legs started shaking as I willed him to go in.. at the same time my dd shouts sainsburys are here.... great timing.. so she comes and stands next to me and we watch and wait and he goes in.... we both couldn't believe it... i dealt with sainsburys and then quickly rang the cpl lady and dd went and sat outside with steve and he kept trying to escape by pulling the door up....

He was huge...!!! But the long shot is cpl arrived and took him off in the trap, thankfully I didn't fancy trying to get him into a basket.. He seemed to enjoy his time chatting with dd...! He was taken to the vets and is an unneutered tom, lots of fleas and matted coat and no microchip.... So today he is being neutered and then off to a rehoming centre about 15 miles away....

Apparently he purred a lot at the vets so he was obviously pleased to finally have been found.. They say he is about 8/9 and shouldn't have any trouble rehoming him....

Don't you just love a happy ending.... I still can't believe we actually caught him...!!!!

So onwards with maybe less cat chat.... today I have my bedding in the wash, and I will start my cleaning.. the joy... hope to take dd into town later to sort her new phone out which we have had for over a month... may also go and pick up some veggie plants although not sure what the weather is predicted to do over the weekend.... tomorrow I have some paid work to do, sunday and monday no plans yet...

catch you later... do you see what I did there...

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 15th Apr 17, 11:02 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    That is good news about Steve and for your wee furbabies, bless him may he find his purrfect forever home now. Enjoy the weekend Puzz x
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 15th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 20,279 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I'm really happy for all the cats concerned. Your 2 will be able to enjoy their garden again and your neighbour's cat can come visiting again and enjoy spending time with you

I'm happy for Steve too. You must have a lot of people in your area wanting to rehome a cat though. Round here the centres/rescues are absolutely full to overflowing with beautiful cats and kittens of all ages, many of them being pets that have strayed from home and can't be reunited or pets whose owners have died or had to move/go into care. A lot of them are just unable to take in any more on until they rehome some of their current residents. If an 8/9 year old like Steve who may not have been a pet already finds a lovely home he'll have done the cat equivalent of winning the lottery. I really hope he makes it. I love a happy ending

• Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 20th Apr 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Afternoon...

And a lovely short week thanks to the BH Monday... So my cats are still enjoying the garden, they are getting braver now they haven't been jumped on for awhile...

This weekend I will be driving dd back to uni for her last fortnight and then bar exams she is back for the whole summer.... am toying with being brave and driving without LM.. well actually I haven't even asked if she's free so might just have to be brave....

Money News...

Got a huge mobile bill to pay next month, thanks to changing dd's contract mid month and my 4 days abroad.. I was expecting it but its bigger than I thought... Oh well hopefully I will still have some pennies left at the end of this month as its payday next Friday...

Am starting my own weight watchers tomorrow. .will be weighing in on a Friday morning and then will count points and do exercise.. I will, I really will.. although this weekend may not be too good as dd and i may have takeaway on Saturday.. ho hum.... i did toy with finding a new ww group as I didn't gel with the last lot, but they have also changed the system since I originally went in 2002 & 2004.... thought about slimming world but that looks complicated and anyway why do I want to pay someone to weigh me.. I can do that myself.. so if you see me sitting on my bottom eating biscuits... tell me off...!

Will need to balance it out with a busy working week next week, as I have lots of visits to do, including evening..

LM still waiting for her results for her biopsy she had before we went away.. she's keeping in good spirits through it..!!!

That's about it for now..

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 26th Apr 17, 12:32 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Afternoon...

I am stuck waiting to go out as I'm too early at the moment... so I shall update..

LM has an appointment at the hospital on Friday morning, I would offer to go with her but she has already arranged a meet up with a friend after.. They won't tell her the results over the phone so I suspect we are not going to get good news... Will update when I know...

I took dd back to Uni on Sunday but LM came as well as she wanted to get out the house.... No navigation this time and I got there without any wrong turns.. coming back I did back I did make 2 small one's but they were easy to rectify...! Not sure if I will be off to collect her again end of next week.....

Money News..

Not as good as I would have liked as I forgot about my donation to the CPL till they reminded me by sending an email to thank me this morning.. never mind.. I will still be a little in credit and payday Friday..

Diet News..

Mixed bag.. quite good on the food... have also been on the treadmill mon/tues and then gone out and done evening visits... no idea if I will lose or gain this week but glad I am at least now moving this body!!!!

Cats..

The old big ginger cat has made an appearance now the big black one has gone.. my boy is a terror for getting involved in any trouble as is one of my neighbours boys... never mind can't do much about it.. cats will be cats... I am sure this one has a home so can't trap it..

Weekend..

BF coming over Saturday night for takeaway and wine.... if weather okay will go and buy veggie plants on Sunday.. although it is freezing here today...!

Vouchers..

Now up to 70.. and its only the end of April.... Must up my game with Nectar as I am very lazy and haven't done any surveys for ages... The vouchers I have are all Love 2 shop that I earn through the RM postings/surveys I do... All saved for Christmas..

Right best get on and sort the rest of this week's work so I can have a cheeky free day on Friday..!!!

Puzz.x
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 26th Apr 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 7,070 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Hi Puzz, Just popping in to say hello
    I hope that LM's appointment goes OK and that all is well.
    Summer is just round the corner apparently though temperature here is 2 degrees C
    I for one am looking forward to having DD home for a while four weeks to go and counting
    for thinking about braving the journey alone - I know how you hate the drives!

Love
    NOAh
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt 72,520>>01/06/16 68166>01/04/17 67,262=7.25%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=200,300Jan16 190,800 Jan17180,700
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 51
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 26th Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 16,054 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    LM has had the verbal all clear....
    Pot Of Gold - 405.00
    MY DIARY -
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 26th Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 7,070 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    That's great news Puzz
    x
    NOAh
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt 72,520>>01/06/16 68166>01/04/17 67,262=7.25%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=200,300Jan16 190,800 Jan17180,700
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 51
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,821Posts Today

7,108Users online

Martin's Twitter