Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    • 3,757Posts
    • 15,845Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free...
    • 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free... 17th Sep 13 at 9:49 AM
    Hi,

I'm Puzz, and I've been hanging around these dfw threads and diaries for a long time now... I've tried many times to sort out the money mess I have made but have now hopefully settled on a path that will lead me to where I wish to be...

What I don't know is how I didnt' know about DMP's before, as I say I've been here for at least 5 years if not longer and only discovered them in my darkest place back in July.

So this diary is to track my progress, keep me in check and maybe offer someone else some assistance along my way!

I have been in debt my entire adult existance. I am now the wrong side of 40 and still in debt. I wouldn't say I've had my head in the sand as I can tell you exactly how much I owe and to who at any given time. I have this all written in my special money book that goes back to 2008..

The debt has increased year on year, but slowly over the last 3 until this summer when it all caught up with me again and I realised that I had to do something now. I have tried snowballing but never had enough snow to throw the ball far enough away! And don't talk to me about consolidating.....

Stumbling across the dmp mutual support thread, I then researched debt management plans and went onto StepChange website did the debt remedy.. and there was my answer. I have read threads 7,8 and 9 of the dmp support thread, it is a wonderful place and if you are thinking of a dmp it is a great place to start.

My debt is huge and is going to get bigger before it gets smaller which is perfectly normal at the start of a dmp. I'm still at the sending letters and token payments stage, my new bank account is up and running and my salary switch is at the end of the month. It is at this point when my largest creditor (od/loan and cc) will be receiving the news that I don't want to do this anymore.

I spent the money I don't deny that. I have every intention of paying it back. BUT... I have paid out a fortune in interest and I no longer feel guilty that I can't do it anymore. I will be working very hard to get my creditors to play nice with me, and am more than prepared to sharpen my claws and involve the FOS when needed.

So that's the start.. I know a dmp isn't for everyone, I know it will trash my credit record, but I don't want credit anymore. I want to live again..

I think that's enough waffle for one morning, and being a cat its probably time I stretched out and had a little kip... oops no I've got work to do.... maybe later...

Christmas 2016 £600 cash/£105 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC 32.2% paid
    Going Self Managed March 2016
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
Page 56
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 21st Sep 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Hi Puzz

Fab news that Dd is settling into Uni life, I am not surprised you were traumatised, I have struggled with Ds starting senior school, let alone going away from home to University.

Sounds like you have it all organised, scary how expensive it is to get your children through uni, I have that all to come (possibly!).

Keep smiling xxx
    Originally posted by StressedSteph
    Hi Steph, Thanks for popping by I know how busy you are with your new job and running the home... DD's years at secondary school seemed to fly by, hope its slower for you and your DS..

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 21st Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Glad your DD is settling into uni life - makes it easier for us mum's to let go a bit when we know they are settled. Fortunately for me, all mine have been through the uni bit and come out the other side.

Don't you just love self managed Puzz ? You decide you need to drop the payments to the creditors, you decide what you will pay, you decide how long you will drop to token payments for. So much easier than asking SC and having to explain everything.

I am so jealous of your tidy house. Wish my DH would go away for a while and then my house would stay clean and shiny for more than the few hours before he comes home
    Originally posted by January2015
    Hi January,

Yes it is much easier to dictate who to pay what. I was lucky that during my time with SC I didn't need to change the payments, unfortunately since going self managed this will be the second time due to the car bill back in the summer.. ho hum.. they will get it in the end... I don't lke delaying my DFD mind...! Hope all good with you.

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 21st Sep 16, 11:50 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Morning... just..

First call from creditor this morning, I must have been first on her list as it only just turned 9am.. Luckily I was home and could talk.. this is despite putting communication in writing on the letters....

But she was lovely, was horrified as to how much extra I have to pay to help dd through uni and that's only the accommodation, told me not to pay the £5 a month and account on hold until January. I said I am happy to pay the £5 but she was adamant I mustn't if it puts me in hardship.... See creditors aren't all bad... I may come back and re change that sentence when the letters hit the rest..

Appear to have lost my weekend 2lb so hopefully will lose some more this week... although worked last night and possibly tonight so only one exercise so far.....

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 27th Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Sorry Awol.. the days are just going too fast..!!!

Weigh day Friday and lost another 1lb so that's 9 of the little bug*ers off... Hopefully lose another this week to get into double figures...! Will aim to do some exercise as only managed 2 lots last week, although I do have evening visits again and lovely mother for dinner on Thursday so we will see...!!!

DD came home Friday and I picked her up from the station, we then went to the cafe for lunch and lazed around for the afternoon.. we sat and watched tv Friday night, Saturday we went to the cinema and did some shopping and then more tv night and sunday she went out with her best friend and then more tv with mum.... yesterday I took her out to lunch and more shopping.. although food for her to take back this time not clothes..! OH drove her back last night and I think she caught up with lots of sleep and hopefully will shake off the freshers flu quickly.. dosed up with vitamins !! She seemed happy to be going back which was a relief, was a little sad but only momentarily I don't expect that will ever change for me... She also has a special friend....

Money News..

Letter from Lowells basically accepting my new payments for as long as I need and a letter from Cap one requesting I ring them to discuss... So I rang them this morning explained again what I was doing and why and they have adjusted my payment plan for 6 months.... apparently can't do it for 3..!! No word from the others yet...

Payday Friday... funds are running low now... I did buy my airer mind.. but still need to sort out my hair...!!!

Right best get on with some work..

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • PinotGrigio41
    • By PinotGrigio41 27th Sep 16, 12:01 PM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 20,546 Thanks
    PinotGrigio41
    Great news with Predators Puzz.

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend with DD, our DD is home in two weekends time, cant wait ! The expense though is off the scale isnt it ? Just hope in three years time, its all worth it !! xx
    LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future !
    Total debts Nov 2011 £96796.75
    Total Debts Nov 2016 £36844.84
    Cleared Nov 2016 £59951.91

Emergency Fund / Rainy Day - £2000.00 . DMP Mutual Support Thread 428
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 27th Sep 16, 3:18 PM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Great news with Predators Puzz.

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend with DD, our DD is home in two weekends time, cant wait ! The expense though is off the scale isnt it ? Just hope in three years time, its all worth it !! xx
    Originally posted by PinotGrigio41
    Hi PG,

Its 4 years for us...!! We have a year abroad...!!

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 30th Sep 16, 10:24 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Payday and Friday...

Not a very busy week at work, naughty puzz.. think I burnt myself out running around last week...!!! Never mind its a whole new month come Monday..

Where has the year gone.. I am sure I have only put my Christmas tree back in the loft and it will soon be time to get it down again.. lucky I love Christmas..

DD seems find and dandy, no word as to when she's next bringing me some washing.. Still going out and about with her special friend... Just paid her first full months spending money into her account, although she hasn't spent much of last months yet....

The Good News.. Have paid lovely mother this month's loan payment leaving the balance at £675.. and she has written off the rest.. Lovely mother.... now that could mean I could recommence my full dmp payments next month as I will now have an extra £200 a month to my name but.. I'm not going to.. I have been dmp'ing for 3 years so will be saving it for something.. not sure what yet... From January I will be saving it each month for dd's next lot of rent.. Will be re-doing my i & e in December and suspect the monthly payments will drop, not sure how far but I still want rid of this debt as soon as possible..

Weekend.. drinks with neighbour tonight, out with girls tomorrow.. and that's it.. no more social for October for Puzz as she hasn't got enough pennies and needs her hair doing...!!! I did get 2 free tickets to the cinema on Monday night so will go with a friend, its to a preview of a film through showfilmfirst if you want to sign up..

That's about all for now...

Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 30th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Smolly
    Hello Puzz and thank you for the update. Always love hearing how things are going for you - you're always so upbeat and positive, and I always have you to thank for inspiring me on to starting my own journey on here!

Thanks for the details about the cinema tickets - I've registered so will see what happens. Haven't been to the cinema in ages. I used to take a young woman with me that I was the personal assistant for but she had a very strange taste in films and I ended up dozing off most of the time!

Great news too about your Mum's loan coming to an early end!

Take care and hope you have a great day xx
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98
    EF #205 £0/£1000
    • PinotGrigio41
    • By PinotGrigio41 30th Sep 16, 4:07 PM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 20,546 Thanks
    PinotGrigio41
    Hi PG,

Its 4 years for us...!! We have a year abroad...!!

Love Puzz. x
    Originally posted by Puzzcat
    LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future !

• PinotGrigio41
    • By PinotGrigio41 30th Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 20,546 Thanks
    PinotGrigio41
    We are off to see that film on Monday as well Puzz.....for free ! Also managed to get tickets for the following week for DD1 and a friend if she fancies a free night out.

I watched the trailer and decided it looks pretty good.

Have a lovely weekend xx

• Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 5th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    We are off to see that film on Monday as well Puzz.....for free ! Also managed to get tickets for the following week for DD1 and a friend if she fancies a free night out.

I watched the trailer and decided it looks pretty good.

Have a lovely weekend xx
    Originally posted by PinotGrigio41
    Hi PG,

I really enjoyed the film despite crying at least 3 times...!! I took lovely mother in the end as my friend was poorly and she enjoyed it too despite it not being her type of film. Hope you and yours got to see it?

Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 5th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Happy Hump Day..

Puzz being very lazy this week, just can't get my act together... Far too much social been happening so I have nothing planned for the rest of the week or the weekend...

DD seems quite happy and seems to spend most evening in the uni bar... But she assures me she doesn't always drink alcohol but does like there chips...!!! She is coming home the weekend after next so that will be lovely... and lots of washing for me.....

Loved the free film I went to see.. I Daniel Blake, it was really well acted but sad....

So in the last 7 days, I have fed lovely mother twice and taken her to the pictures, fed my neighbour wine.... been out to dinner with the girls.. £35 and then another £10 in a different place having a nightcap.... funds not great this month so no other socials planned except one friend over later in the month..will do something cheap....

DMP paid.. all £45 of it... heard from all creditors except Natwest... oh well if they don't like it I'm sure they will contact me... 2 DCA's wanted new i & e.. told them both they can wait till December.. most have put me on a new 6 month plan, but still planning on redoing my i & e in December ...have moved the non paid dmp money into a new account for dd's next rent payment...

That's about all for today.. apart from in 4 weeks time I will be on holiday hopefully in the sunshine....

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 5th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    DMP paid.. all £45 of it... heard from all creditors except Natwest... oh well if they don't like it I'm sure they will contact me... 2 DCA's wanted new i & e.. told them both they can wait till December.. most have put me on a new 6 month plan, but still planning on redoing my i & e in December ...have moved the non paid dmp money into a new account for dd's next rent payment...

Love Puzz. x
    I'm green with envy at the way you deal so confidently with your creditors. I wish I were more like you. I'm such a wimp. If I had more of your guts I'd go self-managed myself. It would be wonderful to pay a much smaller monthly DMP total than the £680 I pay now and have a bit of surplus money to enjoy such things as the very occasional meal out, drinks with friends and maybe a cheap holiday. Even a weekend away would seem like winning the lottery
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2016: Jan-Nov:£2787.65: Dec:£61.27
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £620.00/£3000

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid (on DMP): £29917. Balance: £26887
    Over halfway
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 7th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    I'm green with envy at the way you deal so confidently with your creditors. I wish I were more like you. I'm such a wimp. If I had more of your guts I'd go self-managed myself. It would be wonderful to pay a much smaller monthly DMP total than the £680 I pay now and have a bit of surplus money to enjoy such things as the very occasional meal out, drinks with friends and maybe a cheap holiday. Even a weekend away would seem like winning the lottery
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    cbc you are not a wimp.... I love dealing with the creditors, haven't had a mean one since the very beginning when I first started my dmp with sc. The obvious advantage you have over me is you will cross the finishing line first no doubt....

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 7th Oct 16, 2:03 PM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Friday....

And I have absolutely nothing planned for the weekend, nothing, not a thing.. it is to do with what I like.. well at the moment anyway....

Have had responses from all my cc debts and they have all agreed my plan.. 5 of them have put me on a 6 month plan so I may be cheeky and leave it running and only reset up the other 4.. umm....Still no word from NW about the loan and od so assume they are happy with payment as I have already paid it. I am going to drop my payments anyway, I want to do some saving and then maybe go for some f & f's..... well that's today's plan anyway...!!

DD is ringing a lot.. 8.30, 10.15 and then again at 1.15.. mainly just for random chats whilst she's walking across the campus or to tell me her horror story at having to put the bins out.....Haha being a grown up is fun isn't it...!!!! The call at 1.15 was to say what to do when you have stabbed yourself.. umm.. I was driving at this point.. slight exaggeration, cut hand whilst cutting a roll in half... hopefully all mended with a plaster now...... bless...

Not a lot to report otherwise...

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 7th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    cbc you are not a wimp.... I love dealing with the creditors, haven't had a mean one since the very beginning when I first started my dmp with sc. The obvious advantage you have over me is you will cross the finishing line first no doubt....

Love Puzz. x
    Thanks x

My creditors have been fine so far but I can be brave when I've got SC behind me. I couldn't cope with barrage of phone calls and letters again.

The reason I'm anxious to get over that finishing line asap is that every penny I receive each month will be all mine. It's a heady thought as I've never been without some debt or other since I left school decades ago. Sometimes it was a few pounds, other times it was thousands, all without living a lavish lifestyle. I just don't know where all my money went.

After my DMP I'll be starting anew without any credit cards. I'm never going down that route again. I'm learning so much from being on a DMP and can honestly say it's changed me for the better
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 07-10-2016 at 3:27 PM.

Over halfway
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 10th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Monday...

Well that weekend didn't go to plan.... speaking with dd on Friday and she really wasn't happy, lonely and bored with a weekend stretching in front of her... Her fav flatmate goes home at weekends and her 'special friend' had also gone home, her best mate (from 6th form) who is a boy was off visiting his girlfriend so she was not a happy bunny.. In my wisdom.. or maybe wine'dom.. I suggest that OH and I go down and buy her dinner Sunday after visiting his mother who lives half way... and of course take the required food parcel too... So £43 in Tesco, ££5.50 in M & S, £50 on a meal.. thought I should pay as OH does all the driving up and down.. and £20 for cash for dd.. total spends.. £118.50.. And I only had a salad...!!!

Never mind, seemed to cheer her up, although she did end up going clubbing Friday night till 4am..... and was back in talks with Best friend and special friend was also back and meeting up later... its a roller coaster ride this one...

She says she's bored. . only has 6 Lectures/seminars which leaves far to much time for sitting around thinking... I have suggested all the usual, go to the library, join a club or group, join the gym but all met with a big fat no.. so not much else I can do... whether she will stay the full course who knows.. or will she be back by Christmas.. watch this space... Although its a damn sight cheaper having her at home...

So work beckons.. well quietly whispers at me... will try to have a more productive week than last week....Then dd home for the weekend, will have to try and reign in the spends or I will be poor whilst she lives the champagne lifestyle...!

Holiday in 3 weeks.. think I am going to need it..!

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - £335.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy

She says she's bored. . only has 6 Lectures/seminars which leaves far to much time for sitting around thinking... I have suggested all the usual, go to the library.....

Love Puzz. x
    I'm glad your visit managed to cheer up your daughter. Sorry about the cost though

Your comment about DD being bored made me smile. Surely one of the points of Uni is working independently (at least it was when I was there). The lectures and seminars are just a part of it, we were supposed to use them as a starting point and do more research and study to back them up. It's early days though, her course has barely started. I'm sure her workload will increase before she knows it

Over halfway
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 12th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    Hi Puzz
    I have read your diary from start to finish over the last few days. Well done on taking such a massive bull by the horns and starting to make inroads onto your debt. I do have a couple of questions which you are free to ignore if they are too nosey.

Your debt. I take it from what you say that YOU are paying this lot off. What about OH? Did he not eat the food, be warmed by the electricity etc etc as the debt was run up? I am genuinely appalled that he goes off on what must be expensive holidays when his partner in life is struggling with debts. I am just really surprised that is all.

Your daughter earned a lot of money that you mention she didn't spend, surely she could be putting this towards her rent. Like wise year 1 of a degree is the perfect time to get a part time job to self fund. This is what I did as my family also didn't have much money on hand to support me. My impression (sorry) is that you are carrying a massive burden that you aren't making any easier on yourself by supporting others.....

The other thing is an observation. You mention your OH snores alot. Please please make him get checked out for sleep apnoea. It can be really dangerous if not treated and loud snoring can be one of the signs.

Good luck on the rest of your journey. And like I said feel free to ignore if it suits.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 17,686 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    chevalier, I expect Puzz will reply herself but from what I gather from reading the whole thread she has an unusual family dynamic (if that's the right term). I understand totally how she is dealing with a lot of things on her own, my own situation is very similar. Not all of us fit the 'norm'

Over halfway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

6,046Users online

Martin's Twitter