Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy
    • 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy 12th Sep 13 at 12:02 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Green Star Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Update February 2016:

You might also like to read our Green Star analysis.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-02-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Page 16
    • Burndengreen
    • By Burndengreen 12th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Burndengreen
    Customer service !!!
    Hmmmm what customer service, I switched as part of the big switch as the deal looked very competitive. I had previously been with green star and left because of difficulty contacting them. So I switched as I assumed that backed by mse the situation would have improved , wrong.
    Getting meter readings to them is a nightmare, trying to view my account online is impossible mainly because it only shows my old account, I have written twice by email once 5 weeks ago and then again 5 days ago. No reply,
    I would love to cancel my contract but they will stitch me for the exit fee.
    At least Richard Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people, it's an absolute disgrace , they are good at taking my dd on time. I had to write Richard then as this website won't let me write the correct name D I ck
    • gromit69
    • By gromit69 13th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gromit69
    Hi Gromit69,
    i apologise that you have not had a response, the MSE inbox is up to date, so you should have had a response. Please can you resend your email and include my name, and i will look out for it.
    Thanks

Steve
    Originally posted by Green Star Energy
    Hi Steve - I've forwarded on the email from last time to the mse@ address
    • Veggyplotter
    • By Veggyplotter 13th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Veggyplotter
    Not up to Expectations
    Transferred as part of Energy Club initiative. Had to phone with opening reads as on-line "wasn't working". Subsequently having difficulty getting final bill from old supplier - EDF who say that Green Star haven't sent the reads. Contacted Green Star who said -
    "Please be advised that there is currently an issue within the Industry which is affecting all energy providers. This issue is causing a delay in opening readings being sent to previous suppliers."
    Surprised this hasn't been in the press.... but then again it's probably bobbins.
    I'm sure it'll all get sorted out sooner or later but it can't be that difficult.
    • Green Star Energy
      Verified User verified user
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 14th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    Transferred as part of Energy Club initiative. Had to phone with opening reads as on-line "wasn't working". Subsequently having difficulty getting final bill from old supplier - EDF who say that Green Star haven't sent the reads. Contacted Green Star who said -
    "Please be advised that there is currently an issue within the Industry which is affecting all energy providers. This issue is causing a delay in opening readings being sent to previous suppliers."
    Surprised this hasn't been in the press.... but then again it's probably bobbins.
    I'm sure it'll all get sorted out sooner or later but it can't be that difficult.
    Originally posted by Veggyplotter
    Hi Veggieplotter
    Apologies for the issues experienced. There has indeed been a gas network update, known as 'Project Nexus', which has meant that there has been a delay in reads being exchanged. If your reads issue remains unresolved, please email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com and we can investigate further.

thanks
    Steve
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Green Star Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • loobers
    • By loobers 14th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    loobers
    Hi Steve thank you for your reply. I have emailed Green Star Energy using the address given but I have not yet received a reply. I'd be grateful if you could look into this for me.
    • deejay1001
    • By deejay1001 15th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    deejay1001
    Had e-mail re inability to enter readings, about six weeks after originaly raising the issue, partial contents below:

Unfortunately your electricity opening reading was estimated and we do not currently have an opening gas reading on the account.

The above despite supplying both my gas and electricity readings over the phone.

And:

To amend this we will need to do an agreed reads process, in which we take 2 sets of up to date readings a week apart, in order to generate an accurate opening reading.

We would recommend contacting our customer service line on 0800 012 45 10 to submit these readings so we can get this resolved as quickly as possible for you.

They were supplied accurate starting meter reads over the phone about six weeks ago plus my previous supplier informs me that they have recieved transfer meter reads from Green Star. So they are able to send readings to my previous supplier but tell me that they don't have accurate readings!
    I do not understand how sending them two sets of readings readings a week apart now will enable them to generate accurate start readings dating back to mid June.

I am posting this here in the hope the above points can be explained to me, I've found it a waste of time trying to e-mail Green Star as it has taken over six weeks to get a reply. Don't trust them to get it right if I phone my readings in as this has been tried before with my start readings which bear no similarity to what has been entered on their website.

Last edited by deejay1001; 15-07-2017 at 7:28 AM. Reason: hopefully made less confusing
    • SparksAlive
    • By SparksAlive 15th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    SparksAlive
    I've recently joined Green Star as part of the MSE switching deal. Not great so far - they didn't send my meter reads to my old supplier, despite me sending them in plenty of time. This appears to be a problem several people have had with them. Luckily I was doing weekly meter readings beforehand anyway so my estimated final bill from my old supplier was close to accurate, but it's still frustrating.

For the first month I couldn't submit readings online with Green Star at all. When I called, they said my meter wasn't set up, which didn't make a lot of sense. This is now working, but I'm now having an issue trying to submit a gas reading. My energy reading went through fine using the online dashboard, but the gas one says 'No rolling AQ for MPRN 4017702208 on 23-05-17' when I try to submit the new reading. Not sure why this is happening and I can't call anyone because it's the weekend!

Bit disappointed so far - if I'd realised their customer service was office hours only I would have reconsidered. It's pretty limiting. I've posted on their facebook page but no reply yet.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 15th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    spud17
    Popped back to see if things have improved.
    Sorry to see so many still disgruntled switchers.
    Over the last few years I've become used to giving monthly readings.
    I thought that now my account seems to be working I'd submit some readings on 1st July.
    Readings submitted ok, (I have also found that I have to disable uBlock origin adblocker to use Waterfox.)

4 or 5 days after giving the reading and having email confirmation, I had a message left on my landline asking for me to submit up to date readings.
    Needless to say I didn't bother.
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • loobers
    • By loobers 17th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    loobers
    Still unresolved
    Hi Loobers
    I am sorry for this situation, and the difficulties supplying meter reads. This was an unfortunate side effect of the Industry wide Project Nexus. Your old supplier should be able to stop claiming your Direct Debit in the knowledge that you have left their supply.
    If this continues to be unresolved, please email mse@mygreenstarenergy,com, and we can follow up for you.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Originally posted by Green Star Energy
    Hi Steve I have e mailed (12th July) as per your reply as the situation is still unresolved but I have not received a reply. I'd be grateful if you could check if my e mail has been received. Thank you
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 19th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    Hi Steve I have e mailed (12th July) as per your reply as the situation is still unresolved but I have not received a reply. I'd be grateful if you could check if my e mail has been received. Thank you
    Originally posted by loobers
    Hi Loobers
    All emails received on 12th have been responded to. if you are yet to receive a response, please resend your email marked for my attention, and i will ensure that it is picked up.

Thanks
    Steve
    I am the official company representative of Green Star Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 19th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    Popped back to see if things have improved.
    Sorry to see so many still disgruntled switchers.
    Over the last few years I've become used to giving monthly readings.
    I thought that now my account seems to be working I'd submit some readings on 1st July.
    Readings submitted ok, (I have also found that I have to disable uBlock origin adblocker to use Waterfox.)

4 or 5 days after giving the reading and having email confirmation, I had a message left on my landline asking for me to submit up to date readings.
    Needless to say I didn't bother.
    Originally posted by spud17
    Hi Spud
    Thank you for the reads that you have provided directly to Green Star.
    We do have meter readers that work on our behalf, and they will try to obtain readings at least twice a year. Occasionally, they will try to call for these readings, so this may be what has happened in this instance. They will not coincide with our billing, and are in addition to the reads you provide. If you choose not to return the call as you have provided readings, this is absolutely fine.
    thanks
    Steve
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 19th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    I've recently joined Green Star as part of the MSE switching deal. Not great so far - they didn't send my meter reads to my old supplier, despite me sending them in plenty of time. This appears to be a problem several people have had with them. Luckily I was doing weekly meter readings beforehand anyway so my estimated final bill from my old supplier was close to accurate, but it's still frustrating.

For the first month I couldn't submit readings online with Green Star at all. When I called, they said my meter wasn't set up, which didn't make a lot of sense. This is now working, but I'm now having an issue trying to submit a gas reading. My energy reading went through fine using the online dashboard, but the gas one says 'No rolling AQ for MPRN 4017702208 on 23-05-17' when I try to submit the new reading. Not sure why this is happening and I can't call anyone because it's the weekend!

Bit disappointed so far - if I'd realised their customer service was office hours only I would have reconsidered. It's pretty limiting. I've posted on their facebook page but no reply yet.
    Originally posted by SparksAlive
    Hi Sparksalive
    sorry for the issues experienced, i trust that you have had a response from your facebook post.
    The error seems to be linked to the wider industry issues previously mentioned.
    If you continue to experience issues, please email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com.
    thanks
    Steve
    • cireland
    • By cireland 19th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cireland
    Shocking
    I absolutely regret following MSE's advice and switching to this energy firm.
    They are completely incompetent, my electric was switched without issue there was an issue with my GAS as there was a nominal amount left on the account, I was made aware cleared it the same day, I let Greenstar know this and my GAS account has still not changed over. (0005420413)

You spend weeks waiting for a reply via email, 30 minutes on hold trying to call them the amount of time I have invested trying to sort this is fasical. I have called them over 10 times since April, sent countless emails, been told countless lies by them, and to top it off I just received an email caliming I am entiled to only half the cash back because I only moved over one account!

They are ridiculous, all whilst this is happening I am paying a standard tariff on my current GAS account, eating into any saving's I was going to make... Time to make an formal compliant I think....
    Last edited by cireland; 19-07-2017 at 1:41 PM.
    • catgirly
    • By catgirly 20th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    catgirly
    Cat girly
    Accepted for switch was told it would take place on 24th May and to sent meter readings on that date OK sent. Notification from Martin Lewis said the old firm would contact me for final readings - heard nothing until I received a final bill - meter readings were not what I sent to GSE. Old supplier said they had the readings from GSE - emailed them to ask why the difference they replied - " Unfortunately there was a delay in accepting your gas meter readings due to the gas industry updating their nexus. There is a tolerance guideline set by the industry where we do not amend opening reads if they are +_250KWH for electricity or +_108units for gas The estimated meter reading provided to your previous supplier is within tolerance and will not be amended." I assume that is 52units of gas I will pay for twice - not good when you are a pensioner and watching the pennies. When it came to put in July's reading I stuck to the actual meter reading - GSE flashed up red question marks so do not know if it was accepted .Is there actually a tolerance guideline? I have never heard of it.
    I seem to have bad luck with switching - first Extra energy then GB energy and now this firm which seems to be as bad .Tut Tut Martin Lewis I expected better from you - and why do a switch when the gas industry was updating .
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 20th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 2,427 Thanks
    Hengus
    Accepted for switch was told it would take place on 24th May and to sent meter readings on that date OK sent. Notification from Martin Lewis said the old firm would contact me for final readings - heard nothing until I received a final bill - meter readings were not what I sent to GSE. Old supplier said they had the readings from GSE - emailed them to ask why the difference they replied - " Unfortunately there was a delay in accepting your gas meter readings due to the gas industry updating their nexus. There is a tolerance guideline set by the industry where we do not amend opening reads if they are +_250KWH for electricity or +_108units for gas The estimated meter reading provided to your previous supplier is within tolerance and will not be amended." I assume that is 52units of gas I will pay for twice - not good when you are a pensioner and watching the pennies. When it came to put in July's reading I stuck to the actual meter reading - GSE flashed up red question marks so do not know if it was accepted .Is there actually a tolerance guideline? I have never heard of it.
    I seem to have bad luck with switching - first Extra energy then GB energy and now this firm which seems to be as bad .Tut Tut Martin Lewis I expected better from you - and why do a switch when the gas industry was updating .
    Originally posted by catgirly
    MSE CEC is only a referral site: it does not manage actual switches. This responsibility sits with the gaining supplier. Before the actual transfer goes through, the gaining supplier will ask you for meter readings. These then go to an industry third party for confirmation. It is true that the implementation of Project NEXUS delayed the transfer of supply process and Ofgem issued a derogation to the Licence requirement whereby suppliers have 35 days to takeover a supply. This was well publicised. Given the delay, the Data Collectors will have come up with an estimated reading that they will have passed to the losing and gaining suppliers to close and open your accounts. The cost to you is minimal. The important thing is to check that the reading used to close and open your account is the same. You will not pay for the same energy twice. The industry does have procedures for raising a dispute when the estimated reading is outwith industry limits. If the readings are different then the gaining supplier is responsible for dealing with the issue. Usually, this is done over the phone between the two suppliers.
    • rosie0c
    • By rosie0c 21st Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rosie0c
    If I could rate them lower than ZERO I would
    All sounded great, going to save money, easy switching - until I got a demand from previous company for payment. Turns out they switched the wrong address/meter but have been happily taking my money for the last few months. Told it could take up to 6 weeks to get my money back - so much for direct debit guarantees!. So I am now out of pocket for the electricity I thought I had been paying for and having to find the money to pay the other company as well. then they have the audacity to suggest that they take over the supply from not and I just pay the other company. Wasn't allowed to speak with anyone but the call centre person who just kept saying - we will take if over now
    • catgirly
    • By catgirly 21st Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    catgirly
    Cat girly
    Well I'm sure that is clear - as mud. To my knowledge I was told 24th May was the changeover day and as far as I know this is what happened . Your comment "the important thing is to check that the reading used to close and open your account is the same." As I pointed out - it is not and I was told "that's Ok it's accepted being within guidelines". The old supplier says they are going on the new supplier figures - You seem to imply they can sort this out over the phone - I will not hold my breath.
    • deejay1001
    • By deejay1001 23rd Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    deejay1001
    I have now had the overpayments I made to my old supplier refunded and my account closed based on the readings they have recieved from Green Star. Yet I am still being told by Green Star that they do not have accurate readings and asking me for readings. Once this mess is sorted I feel it will be worth losing the early leaving penalty and going elsewhere. Just dreading the mess Green Star may make when I transfer away from them.
    • revolver
    • By revolver 24th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    revolver
    I have smart metres installed by my previous supplier. The displays on these are blank and my GSE account shows that I am in credit for the two months that I have paid them. In other words, I have used no energy in the past two months! They haven't aked me for metre readings but I wouldn't be able to give them if they did!
    • bikerflyer
    • By bikerflyer 27th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bikerflyer
    What a waste of time. Wish I had never switched.
    They confirmed gas and electricity switch on 6th June but on 26th July I found out gas has not been switched.
    6 phone calls and 3 hours on the phone to be told will take 6 weeks to sort out.
    They won't compensate me for extra that I have to pay original supplier.
    Great difficulty speaking to anyone in authority, when I did I was promised a call back within one hour without fail. 2 hours later nothing.
    I called again and was told I couldn't speak to that person so had to repeat everything only to be told it will take 6 weeks to sort transfer
    THEY ARE A WASTE OF TIME, DONT BOTHER TO SWITCH.
    Last edited by bikerflyer; 27-07-2017 at 5:12 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,310Users online

Martin's Twitter