Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy
    • 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy 12th Sep 13 at 12:02 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Green Star Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Update February 2016:

You might also like to read our Green Star analysis.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-02-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Page 15
    • Green Star Energy
      Verified User verified user
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 27th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    Since my switch I have been unable to submit readings online. I have submitted readings by phone which was like a comedy sketch (details in my previous post). Its now 2 weeks since my last post and still unable to submit a meter reading online or even see the readings given by phone on the 22nd May.

I noticed that I had not had a final bill/refund from my previous supplier so I gave them a call. It transpires that they can't issue a final bill as they are waiting on Green Star to furnish them with final readings. They operate a 6 week window for new suppliers to contact them so that a final bill/refund can be issued to the departing customer. Today is the 6 week anniversary of Green Star taking over billing for my gas and electricity so in all likelihood I'm about to get a final bill based upon estimated readings.

I see a lot of comments from Green Star on other peoples posting blaming the lack of linked meters on system update for the gas industry. Not sure why this would stop the electricity meters, at least, being linked by now!
    Originally posted by Inverchaolain
    Hi Inverchaolain,
    Thank you for your post, apologies that this is still ongoing.
    As you have mentioned, there have been some changes to the industry that have resulted in delays to the provision of gas reads, and you are right, this shouldn't affect the electricity reads.

Some suppliers like to bill both fuels together to finalise their accounts, so a missing reading on either fuel can result in the final bill being delayed.

If you are able to email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com, we would be able to look into your individual case and provide a personal update.

Best, Steve
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Green Star Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 27th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    I have requested to switch my gas and electricity to My Green Star energy through MES energy club on 2nd May 2017 and is still not processed.
    Green star energy asked to submit a meter reading and I did it on 19th May.
    After 4 weeks I received the following reply:
    Good afternoon Mr Manoj Mathew,
    Thank you for contacting Green Star Energy.
    Please accept apologies for the delay in responding as we are experiencing a large volume of emails at the moment.
    Opening readings need to be recorded within five days of your supply start date. Unfortunately we are now outside the window and your gas reading cannot be backdated. Estimated gas reading will be generated and agreed with your previous supplier. The electricity reading is recorded as given by yourself and will be forwarded to your previous supplier. Please provide your up-to-date readings and we will record them on the system. Please accept apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    I would like to thank you for contacting Green Star Energy.
    Kind regards,
    Vladimir Batusic
    I think they are not capable of handing the number of switches..
    Originally posted by Manojmathew
    Hi Manoj Matthew

apologies for the delay in response.
    Thank you for providing your meter reads.

In the event that the start read is incorrect, we are able to discuss this with the other supplier and agree a more accurate reading.

If you would like us to do this, please let us know.

Best, Steve
    I am the official company representative of Green Star Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • oblivion62
    • By oblivion62 27th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oblivion62
    I have transferred to Green Star Energy, via the comparison page. Unfortunately, I miscalculated the date I could transfer without penalty (should have been June 14th, was scheduled for June 5th). My previous supplier (SP) was clear that it was my and Green Star's problem to solve, Green Star were helpful and said they'd amend the start date so I could avoid the penalty... and then didn't. They've apologised "for the inconvenience" but as the inconvenience has cost me £60 I'm a little less than happy. I also have the impression that they're a relatively small outfit who can't cope with the volume of work MSE are sending their way, to the detriment of anyone who's not completely statistically average.
    • spurtime
    • By spurtime 2nd Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    spurtime
    No answer
    Hi,
    I am not happy with the GSE switch recommended on here.
    First off all they do not have the facility to use smart meters and won't be doing so before Dec 17 at the earliest. I certainly wouldn't have switched for this reason only. I was with OVO previously without a hitch, but decided to switch due my current fixed tariff expiring and the new tariff was almost a 30% rise!

I was also advised wrongly by GSE customer services how to get the meter reading from the smart meter and had o ring OVO to get the correct figures. I took advantage of swapped from Eco 7 to standard tariff without charge when I received the meter and have been wanting to do this for so many years but found the switch meter cost to expensive.

But that has also caused a problem as the meter in now showing a different figure to what I should be quoting. I have to press 6 on the meter keypad to find the correct figure!

I now cannot give meter reading to GSE either by the APP, website or verbally to customers services as there is a 'Missing EAC' for my meter!

What a mistake I made moving to this firm to save a few quid.

Sometimes it just isn't worth moving, contrary to what Mr Lewis tells us!
    Originally posted by spurtime
    Hi,

I don't believe you have answered my question or can not answer my question, which is very disappointing. I switched to GSE in good faith being recommended on this site, at the moment I'm think of biting the bullet and paying the £60 early termination fee so I can get the hell out and return to a proper company (OVO) that looks after their customers by helping them when they have a problem!!

A reply would be much appreciated and very much deserved!!
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 3rd Jul 17, 7:18 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I switched early June, landed up with an estimated reading, but it wasn't far off the real one, so I just left it.

Electricity has switched okay, SSE have said they will refund a positive balance by DD. However gas still hasn't switched and I've just been direct debited by both companies. £40 to SSE for gas, £110 to GSE for dual fuel.
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 3rd Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    Hi,

I don't believe you have answered my question or can not answer my question, which is very disappointing. I switched to GSE in good faith being recommended on this site, at the moment I'm think of biting the bullet and paying the £60 early termination fee so I can get the hell out and return to a proper company (OVO) that looks after their customers by helping them when they have a problem!!

A reply would be much appreciated and very much deserved!!
    Originally posted by spurtime
    Hi Spurtime,

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the switch to Green Star Energy.

Green Star Energy do not offer smart meters, this should have been informed to you on the switch. I do apologise that you was unaware of this however our systems are not compatible for smart meters. It would be the same if you switched to another supplier that did not offer smart meters.

I would like to apologise that you have been unable to submit your meter reads on to your account, if you could please email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com with your meter reads and we will be able to assist further.

Thank you,
    Megan
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 3rd Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    I switched early June, landed up with an estimated reading, but it wasn't far off the real one, so I just left it.

Electricity has switched okay, SSE have said they will refund a positive balance by DD. However gas still hasn't switched and I've just been direct debited by both companies. £40 to SSE for gas, £110 to GSE for dual fuel.
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    Hi Nebulous2,

I am glad that our estimated reads ran in line with your actual reads.

I do apologise that you have been debited a direct debit for both companies. If you could please email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com with your account number I am more than happy to look into this further for you.

Thank you,
    Megan
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 3rd Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    StopIt
    I've hit a small snag I think.

My Electricity meter reads are being accepted, and I've submitted two now in the last month.

My Gas reads though keep giving me errors. As it's likely that an estimate would be far higher than actual usage because it's now summer, I would like the ability to actually submit it. More issues post Project NEXUS or is something awry?
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 3rd Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    I've hit a small snag I think.

My Electricity meter reads are being accepted, and I've submitted two now in the last month.

My Gas reads though keep giving me errors. As it's likely that an estimate would be far higher than actual usage because it's now summer, I would like the ability to actually submit it. More issues post Project NEXUS or is something awry?
    Originally posted by StopIt
    Hi StopIt,

I am sorry to hear that you have hit an error.

It may be as a result of an estimated reading. If you would like to email myself at mse@mygreenstarenergy.com with your account number and meter read for gas, I can investigate a bit further for you.

Thank you,
    Megan
    • Hodge123321
    • By Hodge123321 7th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hodge123321
    AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID,
    GREEN STAR ENERGY NIGHTMARE
    I initiated a change over approx 5 weeks ago and within 24 hours had changed my mind. I informed them by email within 24 hours that I did not wish to proceed. They contacted me twice to confirm the cancellation.
    They then tell me they haven't acted within the 14 day cooling off period and they had erroneously taken over my gas!
    "Don't worry it will all be resolved"

I took no action believing it would sort out.
    Then I discover they have still enacted the direct debit and withdrawn nearly £200 from my bank.
    My old payment was £111.00 per month. The difference I suspect is because they I think have charged me a leaving penalty for NOT informing them within 14 days. I had, within 24 hours!
    They now tell me they are still supplying my gas but not electric and this will take 6+ weeks to resolve.
    I cancelled the direct debit arrangement they had set up today (despite my cancelling the contract) and Green Star have today sent me a thinly veiled threatening email regarding non payment, affecting my credit rating etc etc.

I've made a formal complaint and I am getting nowhere. They have even told me that 'my complaint is now resolved' - Ha bloody ha.
    So how many mistakes have they made - I've lost count.

I've changed suppliers many times and never had any problem. This lot are entirely dreadful. Just don't be tempted at all.!
    Quick Reply
    • Hodge123321
    • By Hodge123321 7th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hodge123321
    Green Star Energy switch: I did this as an MSE Energy recommendation -appalling company. I will never again follow an MSE energy recommendation.
    • domestic1983
    • By domestic1983 9th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    domestic1983
    electric account still not switching
    hi I put a requeset to green star energy to go from British gas to them on the 30th June my gas is processing no problems and British gas have told me that the gas will be with green star on the 18th July but here is the problem I have been advised by British gas that the electric switch is not on the national database to switch to green star and that they have not had a requsest to switch it to green star energy so phoned up green star last week who confirmed that British gas are correct as green star also went onto the national database and confirmed this is the case so the adviser asked my to give her the meter supply number and serial number which I did and informed me that she had to reregister the electric account this was done on Wednesday or so I was told so been calling green star since only for them to keep telling me it will be with them on the 19th July but when I contacted British gas on Saterday they told me its still not on the database to be switched and they still have not had a requsest to do so. so green star rep please respond I would like to know what the hell is going on as I do not want to be charged by two energy providers like some customers have if I knew how much bother it would be to go to you I would not have botherd.
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 9th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    hi I put a requeset to green star energy to go from British gas to them on the 30th June my gas is processing no problems and British gas have told me that the gas will be with green star on the 18th July but here is the problem I have been advised by British gas that the electric switch is not on the national database to switch to green star and that they have not had a requsest to switch it to green star energy so phoned up green star last week who confirmed that British gas are correct as green star also went onto the national database and confirmed this is the case so the adviser asked my to give her the meter supply number and serial number which I did and informed me that she had to reregister the electric account this was done on Wednesday or so I was told so been calling green star since only for them to keep telling me it will be with them on the 19th July but when I contacted British gas on Saterday they told me its still not on the database to be switched and they still have not had a requsest to do so. so green star rep please respond I would like to know what the hell is going on as I do not want to be charged by two energy providers like some customers have if I knew how much bother it would be to go to you I would not have botherd.
    Originally posted by domestic1983
    Only your existing supplier can change/update/correct the national database.

As it appears your existing supplier, British Gas, already admits there is an error in that database, best get in contact with BG asap and tell them to get their finger out!
    • domestic1983
    • By domestic1983 9th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    domestic1983
    Well just spoke to British gas online they checked their entire databases and the national database and their side have no issues apparently green star have still not requested the electric to be switched this is very annoying now so i will now have to contact green star tommorow to find out what the hell thay are doing.
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 10th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID,
    GREEN STAR ENERGY NIGHTMARE
    I initiated a change over approx 5 weeks ago and within 24 hours had changed my mind. I informed them by email within 24 hours that I did not wish to proceed. They contacted me twice to confirm the cancellation.
    They then tell me they haven't acted within the 14 day cooling off period and they had erroneously taken over my gas!
    "Don't worry it will all be resolved"

I took no action believing it would sort out.
    Then I discover they have still enacted the direct debit and withdrawn nearly £200 from my bank.
    My old payment was £111.00 per month. The difference I suspect is because they I think have charged me a leaving penalty for NOT informing them within 14 days. I had, within 24 hours!
    They now tell me they are still supplying my gas but not electric and this will take 6+ weeks to resolve.
    I cancelled the direct debit arrangement they had set up today (despite my cancelling the contract) and Green Star have today sent me a thinly veiled threatening email regarding non payment, affecting my credit rating etc etc.

I've made a formal complaint and I am getting nowhere. They have even told me that 'my complaint is now resolved' - Ha bloody ha.
    So how many mistakes have they made - I've lost count.

I've changed suppliers many times and never had any problem. This lot are entirely dreadful. Just don't be tempted at all.!
    Quick Reply
    Originally posted by Hodge123321
    Dear Hodge123321

I am sorry for your experience in switching to Green Star Energy, and that the switch went ahead even though you had cancelled. If you are able to email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com with your account details and i can look into the details and ensure an appropriate update is provided.
    Best, Steve
    • loobers
    • By loobers 10th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    loobers
    Final bill not received from former supplier
    I took part in the recent MSE switch and the date of transfer was the 15 th May 2017. I supplied meter readings on that date (by phone as unable to submit online) My direct debit is being deducted by Green Star and they tell me everything is live and fine unfortunately my former supplier is also deducting their direct debit and state that they haven't received the meter readings through the national database and so therefore can't produce a final bill. It really annoys me that I've done everything required of me at my end and yet something always seems to go wrong when switching. From my experience it's not worth the hassle.I now have this to sort out!
    Last edited by loobers; 10-07-2017 at 2:19 PM.
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 10th Jul 17, 2:01 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    Well just spoke to British gas online they checked their entire databases and the national database and their side have no issues apparently green star have still not requested the electric to be switched this is very annoying now so i will now have to contact green star tommorow to find out what the hell thay are doing.
    Originally posted by domestic1983
    Hi Domestic1983,

I'm sorry for any confusion caused, and i hope that you have been able to resolve this already today. If you continue to encounter issues, please email MSE@mygreenstarenergy.com and i can review the situation.

Thanks

Steve
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 10th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    I took part in the recent MSE switch and the date of transfer was the 15 th May 2017. I supplied meter readings on that date (by phone as unable to submit online) My direct debit is being deducted by Green Star and they tell me everything is live and fine unfortunately my former supplier is also deducting their direct debit and state that they haven't received the meter readings through the national database and so therefore can't produce a final bill. It really annoys me that I've done everyhing required of me my end and yet something always seems to go wrong when switching. From my experience it's not worth the hassle.I now have this to sort out!
    Originally posted by loobers
    Hi Loobers
    I am sorry for this situation, and the difficulties supplying meter reads. This was an unfortunate side effect of the Industry wide Project Nexus. Your old supplier should be able to stop claiming your Direct Debit in the knowledge that you have left their supply.
    If this continues to be unresolved, please email mse@mygreenstarenergy,com, and we can follow up for you.
    Thanks
    Steve
    • gromit69
    • By gromit69 10th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gromit69
    How long should a reply from MSE@mygreenstarenergy.com take? I emailed on 2nd July and haven't heard anything yet.

Like a lot of people, I switched over to Green star energy 2 months ago at the recommendation of MSE's Energy Club.
    My electricity is supposed to have moved across (though there are no signs of this in my GSE account).
    My gas is still with my previous supplier, Sainsburys.

It all seems to be going nowhere quickly, all whilst I'm paying 2 direct debits!
    • Green Star Energy
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 12th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    How long should a reply from MSE@mygreenstarenergy.com take? I emailed on 2nd July and haven't heard anything yet.

Like a lot of people, I switched over to Green star energy 2 months ago at the recommendation of MSE's Energy Club.
    My electricity is supposed to have moved across (though there are no signs of this in my GSE account).
    My gas is still with my previous supplier, Sainsburys.

It all seems to be going nowhere quickly, all whilst I'm paying 2 direct debits!
    Originally posted by gromit69
    Hi Gromit69,
    i apologise that you have not had a response, the MSE inbox is up to date, so you should have had a response. Please can you resend your email and include my name, and i will look out for it.
    Thanks

Steve
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,448Posts Today

9,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin