Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy
    • 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy 12th Sep 13 at 12:02 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Green Star Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Update February 2016:

You might also like to read our Green Star analysis.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-02-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Page 12
    • Green Star Energy
      Verified User verified user
    • By Green Star Energy Verified User verified user 1st Jun 17, 5:56 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Green Star Energy
    Just to hopefully add a little more pressure on MSE to keep pushing.

As a late arrivee to this thread I see my experience is a duplicate of others. After being requested found I could submit electric readings but not gas. Emailed them about the gas - no reply. Logged in a week later (today) only to find I can't submit any because my meters aren’t linked (don’t know what that means I presume its down to them) seems the electric readings are lost. Put it down to under staffed and dodgy software. Praying I don't get bogged down in financial mismanagement. Saw "Please email your meter readings into mse@mygreenstarenergy.com and we will be able to quickly process them for you." above and wonder how its easier for them to take readings from an email when your meter is not linked but not from an online form designed by them. Also how; if they don't have resources to manage normal business, allocating resources to a special email account with information presented in a random order needing manual attention is going to help. Surely (if its true - didnt think the word quickly was in their volcabluary) the man power should be prioritised to linking meters and replying to normal email not sorting through emails from people with un-linked meters. (I wonder if I use that email address I would get a reply?) I see I now have two account numbers one for gas other for electric I prefer one company one client one account number. Another fine mess!
    Originally posted by murphydavid
    Hi murpheydavid,

I completely understand all of your concerns, I would like to outline a few points to assist with your queries.

As a whole the gas industry is currently undergoing some mandatory updates, which we hope in the future is going to help the switch over for customers run more smoothly however at the moment this is casing some errors with submitting meter reads and receiving the information for your meters to be linked onto your online accounts.

Although there is the error on the online accounts, we are asking that you email your reads through to us as we are able to submit them from our end to go in as pending reads, which means they will get automatically uploaded when we have the information through.

If you have signed up with Green Star Energy for a duel fuel account you will receive a gas and electricity account number however they are most likely linked to the same one account. If you are still concerned about this please email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com for our team to assist your further.

I hope this helps.

Thank you
    Megan
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Green Star Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • papito
    • By papito 1st Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    papito
    Disappointed
    Can't provide meter reading in last 2 weeks, customer service only works M-F frim 8 till 6 so hard to find a time off work or at weekends as I used to have with EDF.
    Furthermore EDF told me about a fault with my electricity meter but as it was due to move to Green Star not able to send engineer, called Green Star on Friday 19/05 but told to call again on Monday 22/05 when they take over as they can't put anything on the system, told them to write it down with pen and paper and them to update it and n their system to avoid me calling again for the same issue having no time to but was told won't do it and repeatedly asked me to call on Monday....I regret changing supplier, first time in years I have this tipe of problems and kind of Customer service from an energy firm. Provided reading over the phone today after taking time off now waiting for their complaints department ring me as if app and/or telephone not working to take readings I feel I was mis sold the service...I will ask Ombudsman to look into this. Bad for MSE energy club offering this firm and saying had a good reputation and great cs feedback??
    Last edited by papito; 01-06-2017 at 6:14 PM.
    • dings74
    • By dings74 2nd Jun 17, 11:46 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dings74
    Hi Dings74,

With your supply going live on the 5th June you will not be able to create an online account until then - which I know is probably rather annoying for yourself and many others. Once your account has been created you will be able to find out information of your tariff, payments, bills etc... you will also be able to submit your meter reads.

As most customers I am sure you do have concerns, I know myself when I try something different and new I have concerns, but we are here to help and answer your questions so please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Thank you
    Megan
    Originally posted by Green Star Energy
    Hi Megan I set up an online account weeks ago?
    • spud17
    • By spud17 2nd Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 1,941 Thanks
    spud17
    Having a problem setting up a username/password with this company's website, same as spud17 mentioned previously.

I enter 8 characters for password, one being numeric and one being a special character, EXACTLY as instructed. Tried several times, and used both Chrome and Firefox browsers. Spud17 said they'd used Waterfox browser, so that's 3 browsers that have failed.

Have emailed company regarding this on 21st May. Still no response from them.

Have received final bill from previous supplier. Cannot set up online account with Green Star Energy.

Not impressed.
    Originally posted by RoughRook
    @RoughRook
    You may already know, Waterfox is a 64bit browser very similar to Firefox.
    I have managed to set up an online account, but not convinced that Green Star's idea of online security is the same as mine.
    I managed it by using an outdated browser, Internet Explorer 11, (it is hidden in Windows 10), but is available.
    Without going through all the permutations, I succeeded by using only lower case, a few numbers and the '@' as my special character.
    After all that, my meters are still not linked, electricity changed on 19th May and gas allegedly 30th May.
    I'll investigate more over the weekend when I've worked up the enegy.
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • Owt4nowt
    • By Owt4nowt 3rd Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Owt4nowt
    Just thought I'd post a quick update to my initial post earlier.

Green Star have now taken their first direct debit, but my old supplier (Scottish Power) have also taken their direct debit. So I have paid twice for my energy this month. I'm not sure which payment was correct as my online accounts with both suppliers seem to show them as supplying at least one of my energies.

My on-line account with Green Star is still exactly as it was when I created it on my switch over date which was the 15th May. So I still can not enter meter readings.

I will now email both Scottish Power and Green Star to see if I can gain further information regarding why both have taken a direct debit and also when the switch will be complete and the final bill from Scottish Power will be issued.
    • sam1970
    • By sam1970 4th Jun 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    sam1970
    This is a question for Green star Rep. here so I will appreciate reply. I signed for your unlimited tariff and you started supplying on 13 April. The fixed monthly payment is £150 taken on the first of the month and you have collected two payments (01 May and 01 June). Today Green star issued a bill for the period 13 April-30 April for £89 and my account now is showing credit of £209.
    When I signed, I understood that I will pay £150 (as decided by Green star Energy) and have unlimited use of gas and electricity so what is this bill for? At this rate I will come to a stage when my account will be in debit so how do you call it unlimited tariff? Have I been tricked?
    something missing
    • dings74
    • By dings74 5th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dings74
    Hi Megan I set up an online account weeks ago?
    Originally posted by dings74

Hi Dings74,

With your supply going live on the 5th June you will not be able to create an online account until then - which I know is probably rather annoying for yourself and many others. Once your account has been created you will be able to find out information of your tariff, payments, bills etc... you will also be able to submit your meter reads.

As most customers I am sure you do have concerns, I know myself when I try something different and new I have concerns, but we are here to help and answer your questions so please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Thank you
    Megan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I said I would feedback and I will. Today is switching day O logged onto my online account and have been able to supply my meter readings.

so so far so goodish....
    • dave5birch
    • By dave5birch 5th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dave5birch
    Terrible, beyond laughable
    DO NOT move to Greenstar.

AWFUL, absolutely AWFUL, shame on MSE for showing them as No1, might think about using the switch service again!!

first of all, they claim to have an app, that doesn't work
    you phone, minimum 25 mins on hold, to then be told, there is a system error, each time you call? i think not
    then try and use their voicemail system to submit meter reading. got cut off, phone back, then says and error, can't do it.
    call up tell them (after 25 min hold).
    email to complain, "we'll deal with thin in 7 days", nearly a month later, no contact.
    email and call again, same "system issues"
    essentailly dreadful.
    apparently there is a gas database freeze, so says old supplier first Utility.
    was i told?
    was it anywhere on MSE? not that i could see, so now stuck with old expensive supplier until it lifts!
    NEVER USE THEM, please spare yourself the time and effort
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 5th Jun 17, 7:16 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    apparently there is a gas database freeze, so says old supplier first Utility.
    was i told?
    was it anywhere on MSE? not that i could see, so now stuck with old expensive supplier until it lifts!
    Originally posted by dave5birch
    Yeah it was actually...
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/05/gas-switch-delays

Should start to clear any day now.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 6th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Yeah it was actually...
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/05/gas-switch-delays

Should start to clear any day now.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    It Says "Customers could be stuck on pricier energy tariffs for up to an extra three weeks" um really? I don't know about others but I thought you get the new tariff on the readings you give!
    • Jezz75
    • By Jezz75 7th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jezz75
    Greenstar poor customer service
    Just been contacted by greenstar. We closed our account 10 months ago and they have just notified us they have refunded us twice last October. Apparently they have passed us on to debt collection agency. They have sent no emails or snail mail to us and this is the first we knew about it. Can anyone advise please?
    Very annoyed and upset.
    • Owt4nowt
    • By Owt4nowt 7th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Owt4nowt
    Still Having Problems With The Transfer To Green Star Energy
    Another update regarding the problems with my transfer to Green Star.

As detailed in my last post an email was sent to both Scottish Power and Green Star asking why both had taken a direct debit.

Scottish Power have replied advising they are still my provider for electricity but not gas. My gas was transferred to Green Star as planned on 14/05/17.

Green Star have yet to reply to my email sent 5 days ago. So I have now sent another email to request a response.

However Green Star did email me yesterday to confirm my meter readings submitted by email on 15/05/17 have been successfully recorded in my Green Star Energy Account.

I suppose as long as when I flick the switch the light comes on I should consider myself lucky.

Hopefully Green Star will respond to my emails soon and we can sort the problems out.
    • GSXR1100
    • By GSXR1100 8th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GSXR1100
    Bad Choice?
    Perhaps if I had visited here before switching I may have reconsidered...

03/05/17 Received an email to say that the switch application to the dual fuel 12m Fixed MSE offer was going ahead.

04/05/17 Received account number and immediately set up an online account and downloaded the app. Neither the web site or the app were functional but thought that they would become live before or on my switch date.

20/05/17 Received letter via email advising that the switch date would be 23/05/17 and asking me to submit meter readings via the web portal or the app on this date.

23/05/17 took meter readings and attempted to submit them via web portal, app and automatic telephone system. All methods failed so called CS to advise meter readings. The lady I spoke to was very polite but had no interest at all in telling me why I had needed to phone, and was generally disinterested. I was/am not entirely confident that the readings were applied to my account but have no way of checking. The same date I emailed CS@mygreen... to request that someone fixed the access to my account. Received two automated replies to tell me that they will get back to me in 7 days.

05/06/17 Logged on here to see that they were now asking for opening meter reads to be sent to mse@mygreen... so did just that.

As of today, I have received no reply to any email (apart from the automated one making broken promises), my first payment has been taken but I still have no access to my account via any means.

Overall a poor experience and they will have to work very hard for me to stay at the end of the fixed period.

I'm also slightly unimpressed that this was an MSE group switch and someone seems not to have done enough research into the ability of this company to comply with their promises and handle the increase in customers.

You live and you learn.
    • Rovergb
    • By Rovergb 8th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rovergb
    Nothing is happening here either
    My contract start date was the 16th May, I submitted readings to CS after not getting anywhere on the app or automated phone line.
    I still cannot see my readings in the app and to submit meter reads cannot happen because the meters are not yet linked. Today a meter reader called without warning on behalf of GB Energy but I do not understand at all what they will do with those readings other than make an assumption whether my readings were correct or not.
    After this length of time I should be able to fully check my information on the Greenstar app to ensure its right in case I end up with an incorrect bill from GB.
    I'm on holiday from Sunday for well over two weeks and do not want to come back to find nothing has changed or worse still incorrect billing. Someone needs to get their finger out at Greenstar but MSE needs to assume responsibility for the problem and get it resolved quickly.
    • RoughRook
    • By RoughRook 8th Jun 17, 4:37 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    RoughRook
    @RoughRook
    You may already know, Waterfox is a 64bit browser very similar to Firefox.
    I have managed to set up an online account, but not convinced that Green Star's idea of online security is the same as mine.
    I managed it by using an outdated browser, Internet Explorer 11, (it is hidden in Windows 10), but is available.
    Without going through all the permutations, I succeeded by using only lower case, a few numbers and the '@' as my special character.
    After all that, my meters are still not linked, electricity changed on 19th May and gas allegedly 30th May.
    I'll investigate more over the weekend when I've worked up the enegy.
    Originally posted by spud17
    @spud17, as yet there is no reply to my email dated 21st May 2017. But, thanks to YOUR advice (not theirs) I've now managed to set up a password. Their 'security system' appears not to allow capital letters be part of a password. Used Chrome browser in the end. Hopefully will not have similar issues with the next supplier when I leave this outfit in a year's time. Fingers crossed that there's no need for much correspondence with them in the meantime.
    • RoughRook
    • By RoughRook 8th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    RoughRook
    Just been contacted by greenstar. We closed our account 10 months ago and they have just notified us they have refunded us twice last October. Apparently they have passed us on to debt collection agency. They have sent no emails or snail mail to us and this is the first we knew about it. Can anyone advise please?
    Very annoyed and upset.
    Originally posted by Jezz75
    Have you considering taking your case to the ombudsman? If you can show that it was their fault that you were refunded twice and have only just been made aware of it, then it appears to be a worthwhile option.
    • RoughRook
    • By RoughRook 8th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    RoughRook
    Hi murpheydavid,

I completely understand all of your concerns, I would like to outline a few points to assist with your queries.

As a whole the gas industry is currently undergoing some mandatory updates, which we hope in the future is going to help the switch over for customers run more smoothly however at the moment this is casing some errors with submitting meter reads and receiving the information for your meters to be linked onto your online accounts.

Although there is the error on the online accounts, we are asking that you email your reads through to us as we are able to submit them from our end to go in as pending reads, which means they will get automatically uploaded when we have the information through.

If you have signed up with Green Star Energy for a duel fuel account you will receive a gas and electricity account number however they are most likely linked to the same one account. If you are still concerned about this please email mse@mygreenstarenergy.com for our team to assist your further.

I hope this helps.

Thank you
    Megan
    Originally posted by Green Star Energy
    @Green Star Energy (Megan), Are emails mse@mygreenstarenergy.com and customerservice@mygreenstarenergy.com treated with different levels of urgency?

I sent emails to the latter 14 working days ago and have had no response to date.
    Last edited by RoughRook; 08-06-2017 at 5:05 PM.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 8th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Hi all

I'm sorry to hear that some of you have been having some problems with the service Green Star has been providing.

We’ve heard a few grumbles about a few frustrating problems with Green Star. As part of its collective switch bid, it promised MSE to boost its customer service levels. We’re pushing it on these problems and asking that it pulls its socks up to do more.

Frustrating, some recent technical releases at Green Star have led to a couple of bugs around how opening meter readings are recorded. Unfortunately, these have been rather complex to fix - if you get an error message when trying to use the app or website, you'll need to contact Green Star for it to manually add these.

If you need to speak to Green Star, you should be able to get through quicker by calling its collective line on 0800 029 1560. Alternatively you can email it via mse@mygreenstarenergy.com. Green Star has confirmed to us that it is fully up to date with this mailbox, so you should see a quicker turnaround than on its normal email box.

I hope this helps.
    • dings74
    • By dings74 9th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dings74
    Hi Dings74,

Thank you
    Megan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I said I would feedback and I will. Today is switching day O logged onto my online account and have been able to supply my meter readings.

so so far so goodish....
    Originally posted by dings74
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I received a text from green star last night asking for meter readings, is this a generic text sent out for those that have been switched and have not provided meter readings. or do i need to provide new meter readings bearing in m mind they successfully record my readings on switch day 5 days ago?
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 9th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    StopIt
    Hi all

I'm sorry to hear that some of you have been having some problems with the service Green Star has been providing.

We’ve heard a few grumbles about a few frustrating problems with Green Star. As part of its collective switch bid, it promised MSE to boost its customer service levels. We’re pushing it on these problems and asking that it pulls its socks up to do more.

Frustrating, some recent technical releases at Green Star have led to a couple of bugs around how opening meter readings are recorded. Unfortunately, these have been rather complex to fix - if you get an error message when trying to use the app or website, you'll need to contact Green Star for it to manually add these.

If you need to speak to Green Star, you should be able to get through quicker by calling its collective line on 0800 029 1560. Alternatively you can email it via mse@mygreenstarenergy.com. Green Star has confirmed to us that it is fully up to date with this mailbox, so you should see a quicker turnaround than on its normal email box.

I hope this helps.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L

I can confirm that whatever systems are broken, at least they're sending the correct meter readings to the previous suppliers. However due to that gas industry wide system upgrade I have yet to receive a final gas bill by SP.

Hopefully that'll iron itself out soon.

However, 3 weeks post switching and still unable to submit meter readings online at all. They really need to get these system bugs fixed ASAP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,629Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin