IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Halifax overcharging home insurance
Views: 1,487
# 1
Sonical
Old 02-09-2013, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Halifax overcharging home insurance

I have recently been sent my new house insurance cover amount
from Halifax which is 614. As it had previously been rolled up with my mortgage (now paid off) I had let it roll for 10 years.
I am now surprised to find that I can get the exact same cover for 107 from another insurer which I have taken.
Is there any presidence for any compensation claim from the previous years which have obviously been overcharged?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dunstonh
Old 02-09-2013, 2:23 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Thanked 41,186 Times in 28,370 Posts

Quote:
Is there any presidence for any compensation claim from the previous years which have obviously been overcharged?
You havent been overcharged. They told you the price each year and you accepted it. No overcharging.

Almost certainly you are paying over the odds but that is quite normal with bank products. They are nearly always up there with the most expensive on the market.

Despite the fact they will be more expensive, it is almost certain that you are not comparing like for like. Yes, the bank will be more expensive but that difference suggest a difference in policy coverage as well. Perhaps accidental and Personal possessions cover on the old one and nto the new one. Plus, if you are using a comparison site, the cheapest ones usually lop off coverage that exists on older more comprehensive plans.

Bottom line is that no, you cannot reclaim money on something you agreed to pay.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 3
_Andy_
Old 02-09-2013, 7:31 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 7,478 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonical View Post
I have recently been sent my new house insurance cover amount
from Halifax which is 614. As it had previously been rolled up with my mortgage (now paid off) I had let it roll for 10 years.
I am now surprised to find that I can get the exact same cover for 107 from another insurer which I have taken.
So in your view, every insurance product should cost the same with every provider?
# 4
roonaldo
Old 02-09-2013, 7:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,039 Posts

is it the same level of cover for 107? I doubt it. this may be like comparing waitrose to tesco value. personally I find waitrose expensive so I dont shop there.
# 5
Goldiegirl
Old 02-09-2013, 7:59 PM

Thanked 20,552 Times in 3,280 Posts

That sort of home insurance where the premiums were debited to the mortgage was horrendously expensive.

But they did tell you up front what they were going to be charging you, so it was your choice that you accepted the premium each year.

Although expensive it was a very comprehensive cover. You could have phoned them to see if the premium could have been reduced, as they did do discounts for things like locks on windows and having burglar alarms.

Or you could have done what you have done now - shopped around and got a cheaper policy.

Be very careful though, that 107 almost certainly doesn't offer such a high level of cover as the Halifax policy - check things like is accidental damage covered, what is the sum assured, and is the policy excess a really high figure.

But there are no grounds whatsoever for compensation.
# 6
Sonical
Old 03-09-2013, 9:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I realise that i could have been more attentive before. However, i have ill health and do feel i have been taken advantage of.
I have scrupulously examined the Halifax and my new insurers policies and there is no advantage in the former.
# 7
themull1
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Thanked 3,560 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default !

Theres nothing you can do, you accepted the policy every year without shopping around, at least you've got a bargain now!
# 8
_Andy_
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 7,478 Times in 4,315 Posts

You haven't been 'taken advantage of' and I fail to see why your ill health is of relevance.

One company charging more for a product than another company isn't 'taking advantage of'.
# 9
dunstonh
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Thanked 41,186 Times in 28,370 Posts

Quote:
However, i have ill health and do feel i have been taken advantage of.
You have not been taken advantage of. You are written to in advance of each renewal telling you their price. You agreed it.

Quote:
I have scrupulously examined the Halifax and my new insurers policies and there is no advantage in the former.
Fair enough. However, it does seem unlikely given the difference. Remember that policy documentation is often generic to cover all options. You may not have selected some options with the new one that were present on the old one.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Goldiegirl
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanked 20,552 Times in 3,280 Posts

The Halifax insurance would have covered the contents of the house too...... Please make sure your new policy covers the building and the contents
# 11
magpiecottage
Old 10-09-2013, 8:58 PM

Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiegirl View Post
The Halifax insurance would have covered the contents of the house too...... Please make sure your new policy covers the building and the contents
Not necessarily. They offer either or both.
I run a consultancy to help Independent Financial Advisers to comply with their rules and resolve complaints. Although I am qualified to, I don't advise consumers for reward.
# 12
Paganman
Old 04-03-2014, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Halifax Home Insurance

Halifax were charging me an astronomical amount for home insurance and when I queried this with them they explained that they had made the rebuilding cost "unlimited" for "my peace of mind". This gave an annual premium for a large end-terrace of over 1250 not including contents (the buildings insurance element of this was 1200).

I have asked them to explain when this was changed (if it was changed) as I did not (and would not) have agreed or wanted unlimited cover to rebuild an end-terrace property.

The exact same quote but with a reasonable rebuilding cost of 300k resulted in the Halifax quote coming down to just under 400 per annum.

I believe I was mis-sold an element of the insurance (like the op this was also taken in conjunction with a mortgage via Halifax) I can see how it would be in Halifax's interest to have an unlimited coverage for rebuilding costs on a property with an 85% mortgage on it but this wasn't discussed or made clear to me either at the time or at any point since...