Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Amy
    • By MSE Amy 27th Aug 13, 5:45 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 36Thanks
    MSE Amy
    Reclaim CPP article discussion
    • 27th Aug 13, 5:45 PM
    Reclaim CPP article discussion 27th Aug 13 at 5:45 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 109
    • contribute
    • By contribute 5th Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    contribute
    Post # 2153 from May;
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Lovely, thanks for that.

I wonder if he used the redress scheme to claim for the post 2005 years. Hopefully HSBC will agree to the whole lot. Worth a try.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Sep 16, 3:14 PM
    • 17,232 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude

I wonder if he used the redress scheme to claim for the post 2005 years.
    Originally posted by contribute
    Very likely.
    Hopefully HSBC will agree to the whole lot. Worth a try.
    Originally posted by contribute
    HSBC won't pay out post 2005. The CPP redress scheme closed almost two years ago.
    • mike wilderink
    • By mike wilderink 5th Sep 16, 3:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mike wilderink
    I received a cheque from CPP for £120.00, however just found it!
    its dated april 2014, can I still cash it in, or do I have to reapply?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Sep 16, 4:02 PM
    • 17,232 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I received a cheque from CPP for £120.00, however just found it!
    its dated april 2014, can I still cash it in, or do I have to reapply?
    Originally posted by mike wilderink
    You can't re-apply. The Redress scheme ended almost two years ago.
    No reported successes in this thread of anyone having expired cheques re-issued.
    Here's the official reasoning behind this;
    Section 5.10 of the High Court's Scheme Arrangement:

Any cheque not encashed within six months shall be cancelled and the Scheme Claim to which it relates shall be deemed to have expired and such Scheme Creditor shall not receive any Redress and shall have no right of recourse to the Dispute Resolution Procedure. (Can be found here: http://cppredressscheme.co.uk/Scheme_Document.pdf)
    by FORMER CPP REFUND SCHEME
    • mike wilderink
    • By mike wilderink 5th Sep 16, 4:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mike wilderink
    thanks for the info, one thing I find extraordinary, there is no mention on the cheque or attached paperwork, that the cheque expires in 6 months...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Sep 16, 5:03 PM
    • 17,232 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    thanks for the info, one thing I find extraordinary, there is no mention on the cheque or attached paperwork, that the cheque expires in 6 months...
    Originally posted by mike wilderink
    Why should there be?

Most people will cash any cheque they receive at the earliest opportunity, not over two years later!
    • EzeJ
    • By EzeJ 8th Oct 16, 5:38 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EzeJ
    Claiming Credit Card PPI on Statutory Barred Debts
    Hello.
    I need some help and advice on the following situation. I took out a couple of credit cards from different lenders, all of which was sold with PPI attached. Having read through your blogs, I have noticed that the PPI in each case were missold to me. I had a very hard time managing these credit cards and in the end heaped up a huge debt. One of the primary reasons for not being able to keep up with the repayments, etc is due to the fact of paying for the PPI on top of the actual credit card bills.
    In the end, I could not pay of these debts totally and some have now disappeared from my credit report. Also, I have not had any correspondence from some of these lenders in the last 7years. I was adviced by a friend that these debts are now statute barred and have been written off by the lenders.
    Firstly, I would be grateful if you can confirm if this is true, please?
    Secondly, I like to reclaim the PPI on these credit cards. May I ask if I am able to reclaim if these debts have now been indeed written off by the lenders? If so, could you please guide me on how to approach this claim, please. Also, I cannot find the paper trail but CPP was definitely one of the PPI providers for at least one of the policies. Could you help me with how I could trace all the lenders, please? And how I can make this claim. Thank you
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 8th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 13,867 Posts
    • 19,355 Thanks
    antrobus
    ...Firstly, I would be grateful if you can confirm if this is true, please?...
    Originally posted by EzeJ
    Yes.

...Secondly, I like to reclaim the PPI on these credit cards. May I ask if I am able to reclaim if these debts have now been indeed written off by the lenders? ..
    The rules on statute barred debt don’t actually make the debt go away. All they do is prevent a creditor from going to court to get money from you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/how-to-dispute-a-credit-debt/time-limits-for-recovering-debt-in-court/

.. Also, I cannot find the paper trail but CPP was definitely one of the PPI providers for at least one of the policies. ...
    CPP is credit card protection, not PPI.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hello.
    I need some help and advice on the following situation. I took out a couple of credit cards from different lenders, all of which was sold with PPI attached. Having read through your blogs, I have noticed that the PPI in each case were missold to me. I had a very hard time managing these credit cards and in the end heaped up a huge debt. One of the primary reasons for not being able to keep up with the repayments, etc is due to the fact of paying for the PPI on top of the actual credit card bills.
    In the end, I could not pay of these debts totally and some have now disappeared from my credit report. Also, I have not had any correspondence from some of these lenders in the last 7years. I was adviced by a friend that these debts are now statute barred and have been written off by the lenders.
    Firstly, I would be grateful if you can confirm if this is true, please?
    Secondly, I like to reclaim the PPI on these credit cards. May I ask if I am able to reclaim if these debts have now been indeed written off by the lenders? If so, could you please guide me on how to approach this claim, please. Also, I cannot find the paper trail but CPP was definitely one of the PPI providers for at least one of the policies. Could you help me with how I could trace all the lenders, please? And how I can make this claim. Thank you
    PPI was typically around 70p per £100 of debt. Your PPI premiums were not even remotely a "primary" reason for your debt, if anything you should have claimed on the PPI if you lost your job or were too ill to work.

If debt was written off by the lenders it simply means they have agreed to stop chasing you, your debt still exists and they will use any PPI refund to offset the money you didn't repay except where they sold the debt on with no way to get it back.

Your only way to trace lenders is your own memory or checking your credit record with Equifax, Noddle and Experian which will show the last 6 years. No claims company can do this for you
    • raysmith8
    • By raysmith8 17th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    raysmith8
    CPP - Financial Ombudsman
    I followed the procedure in MSE and escalated my claim to the Financila Ombudsman. However they replied that as they did not regulate CPP until 2005 they cannot help. MSE stated that you could claim pre 2005. Has anybody had a sucessful claim via the Ombudsman?

Ray Smith
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 17th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    Yes, my neighbour was successful this month re HSBC's Card Guard protection 1997 - 2002.

HSBC sent the standard letter stating the above (indeed it was so standard that it referred to "your client" as if she was a claims company, even though she complained as an individual). She escalated to the FOS and HSBC then repaid the sums paid plus 8% pa Interest.

It is true that the post-2005 CPP compensation scheme has now closed, however.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • raysmith8
    • By raysmith8 17th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    raysmith8
    In my case I bought the cover direct from CPP who apparently were not regulated by the Financial Ombudsman at the time. Has anyone had a claim against CPP dating before 2005 agreed by the Ombudsman?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 17,232 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Has anyone had a claim against CPP dating before 2005 agreed by the Ombudsman?
    Originally posted by raysmith8
    No one has had pre 2005 complaints upheld by FOS because the Ombudsman has no authority for that time period. Regulation began January 2005.

You appear to have complained, been declined and then informed that you have no recourse to the Ombudsman. If this is accurate your complaint is now over, regardless of how others may have done.

Did you complain direct to CPP or the card provider?
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 18-10-2016 at 2:56 PM.
    • raysmith8
    • By raysmith8 18th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    raysmith8
    Both, banks refered me to CPP
    • mjohnson95925
    • By mjohnson95925 26th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mjohnson95925
    Hi all,

This is my first post, in fact this was the first thing I've ever done in trying to save money from MSE.

I had a Halifax account for 6 years, from when I was 19-25. I filled in the form on this website and sent it to Halifax's complains department, I was called back by their team within a couple of hours.

I explained over the phone why I felt as though I was mis-sold this packaged bank account, which I barely used most of the added features. He told me that this alone was not a good enough reason to warrant a refund however they could not prove that I wasn't mis-sold the bank account in that it was the only way I could get an overdraft.
    Because of this, I received nearly £1300 including interest for my Halifax Ultimate Reward account that I had been paying £15 a month for!

It's definitely worth trying this and my advise would be to say that you were mis-sold it because the advisor said it was the only way you could get an overdraft.

I hope many other people succeed like I did with this!

• magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 26th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Both, banks refered me to CPP
    Originally posted by raysmith8
    Did the banks sell you the CPP cover or did you get it direct from CPP?

If the banks sold it to you then you can take them to FOS.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 26th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 9,133 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    It's definitely worth trying this and my advise would be to say that you were mis-sold it because the advisor said it was the only way you could get an overdraft.
    Originally posted by mjohnson95925
    If that is not true, you risk committing an offence under section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006.

If it is true, it is still an unsubstantiated allegation.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 26th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi all,

This is my first post, in fact this was the first thing I've ever done in trying to save money from MSE.

I had a Halifax account for 6 years, from when I was 19-25. I filled in the form on this website and sent it to Halifax's complains department, I was called back by their team within a couple of hours.

I explained over the phone why I felt as though I was mis-sold this packaged bank account, which I barely used most of the added features. He told me that this alone was not a good enough reason to warrant a refund however they could not prove that I wasn't mis-sold the bank account in that it was the only way I could get an overdraft.
    Because of this, I received nearly £1300 including interest for my Halifax Ultimate Reward account that I had been paying £15 a month for!

I hope many other people succeed like I did with this!

Originally posted by mjohnson95925
    This topic is for CPP not packaged bank accounts

Clue is in the topic title
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

3,324Users online

Martin's Twitter