Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackMar
    • By JackMar 25th Aug 13, 5:59 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JackMar
    Husky heat pumps - has any one else had issues
    • 25th Aug 13, 5:59 PM
    Husky heat pumps - has any one else had issues 25th Aug 13 at 5:59 PM
    This post has been deleted - issue resolved by Husky
    Last edited by JackMar; 17-08-2016 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Want to delete
Page 1
  • bagpuss104
    • 6th Jan 14, 2:48 PM
    • 6th Jan 14, 2:48 PM
    We too have strong issues with our heat pump and have since had it disconnected by husky as it was costing a fortune in electricity to run, husky have been no help at all in resolving the problem, and at the moment we are basically being ignored. We are now in the process of taking the matter further to try and recoup our costs.
    • JackMar
    • By JackMar 15th Feb 14, 1:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JackMar
    • 15th Feb 14, 1:24 PM
    • 15th Feb 14, 1:24 PM
    This post has been deleted - issue resolved by Husky
    Last edited by JackMar; 17-08-2016 at 4:41 PM. Reason: This post has been deleted - issue resolved by Husky
    • Smiley Dan
    • By Smiley Dan 17th Feb 14, 5:30 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Smiley Dan
    • 17th Feb 14, 5:30 PM
    • 17th Feb 14, 5:30 PM
    I'm interested: how much of a survey did they perform on your house with regards insulation, air tightness, existing UFH or radiator sizing etc? These factors are important in heat pump assessments.

Does the heat pump also heat water?

In general, ASHPs are unlikely to be cheaper than gas boilers. They're more of a cost effective replacement for oil, LPG, electrical heating etc. I agree about the OFT.
  • willow14710
    • 8th Nov 14, 11:53 AM
    husky ASHP V storage heaters
    • 8th Nov 14, 11:53 AM
    we have just had a Husky ASHP installed a fortnight ago in our bungalow, Had electric storage rads removed.
    Does anyone have any comparisons ASHP v Storage heaters?? at the moment not seeing any improvement cost wise......

thanks
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Nov 14, 1:53 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 8th Nov 14, 1:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 14, 1:53 PM
    Not an easy question to answer. Theoretically it should be cheaper but a lot depends on how well it's been installed. What it's coupled to (radiators, underfloor, fan convectors etc). What controls has it got. What is the flow temperature. How are you using it. Have you still got E7 electricity. Does it heat your hot water. Is your insulation & draught proofing as good as it can be.

A heatpump must be used in a different way to conventional central heating. Usually the flow temperature is a lot lower so you need bigger radiators and it takes a lot longer to heat up the house.

Using it with high flow temperatures or short heating cycles will dramatically increase the cost especially if it's equipped with electrical back-up heaters which kick in to boost it's performance.
    If it's heating your hot water tank as well then ideally you need to reduce the temperature to around 45-50 degrees. Anything above about 50-55 degrees will require the backup or immersion heater.

Most heatpumps are most efficient when the flow temperature is around 30-40 degrees and the outside temp is around 7 degrees. Running it any hotter or when the outside temp is much colder will seriously impact you energy consumption.

In my opinion they are not suitable to use with E7 as you need to have them on nearly all the time so you need cheaper electricity during the day and the evening rather than just for 7 hours overnight when you can turn it down a bit to save energy.
    To get the best out of a heatpump requires you to understand how it works and how to optimise your heating regime.
    • Silent Dancer
    • By Silent Dancer 8th Nov 14, 2:02 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Silent Dancer
    • 8th Nov 14, 2:02 PM
    • 8th Nov 14, 2:02 PM
    we have just had a Husky ASHP installed a fortnight ago in our bungalow, Had electric storage rads removed.
    Does anyone have any comparisons ASHP v Storage heaters?? at the moment not seeing any improvement cost wise......

thanks
    Originally posted by willow14710
    If it has been badly installed or specified then it is possible that you electric bills could be similar to storage heating.

I would raise your concerns with the installer, as it is possible that the heat pump has not been set up properly or is faulty.

If they can't help contact MCS if it is an RHI installation or the installers competent persons scheme provider if it isn't.
  • rogerbanana
    • 4th Dec 14, 7:41 PM
    husky heating
    • 4th Dec 14, 7:41 PM
    i have had a husky heat system for about three years now, and a number of points has arisen. i also now have the green deal assesement which means the house qualifies for a green fuel payment of about £28 a week for 11 years. one thing which is not mentioned is that most houses who replace their old gas boiler with a ASHP system, have insufficient surface radiator surface to dissipate the heat. think about it, if the ASHP runs at about 35c and the old gas boiler ran the rads at 60c the surface area would have to be doubled to get the same warmth. this is a hidden cost, i had to fit 11 rads. at a cost of about £1000 (they are type 22, doubles) also, the roof insulation had to be increased, and fortunatly i already had cavity wall insulation. to get the green deal you have to meet certain insulation targets then you can apply for the rebate. i am now awaiting the electricity bill and at the moment the jury is out! feel free to contact me for further info. if required. roger.
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 4th Dec 14, 9:09 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    • 4th Dec 14, 9:09 PM
    • 4th Dec 14, 9:09 PM
    for complaints about renewable installations contact the Renewable Energy Consumer Code (RECC) and they should be able to help you get any compensation you may be entitled to.

In regards to fixing the problem contact a reputable installer and tell them you have a heat pump that is not working correctly and could they come out and diagnose the problem and quote to fix it.

99% of problems with ASHP are with the installation not the heat pump its self.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
    • david1984
    • By david1984 3rd Apr 16, 4:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    david1984
    Hello,

I had one of there heat pumps installed and im saving money on my gas bill, my electric went up but still cheaper. Im interested to find out what happened in the end? Did you sort the problems?
    • Henry!
    • By Henry! 7th Nov 16, 5:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Henry!
    We were without hot water for 4 months from April 2016. Husky charged £766 for us to upgrade our heat pump to their latest model and the new heat pump did not work as I say for four months from April. Now we have no heating. Despite many calls to them since last Thursday 3rd November still no engineer has come.
    • BarnBrian
    • By BarnBrian 28th Nov 16, 9:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BarnBrian
    Don't touch Husky
    We have two Husky heat pumps, one of which stopped working about two weeks ago and now the second one has also stopped working. Numerous phone calls to husky have been made over the last two weeks but have yet to get any response. Promises of them returning the calls just haven't happened.
    Would I recommend Husky? Never in a million years is the polite answer.
    I would love to be able to find a reputable installer/service company in Lancashire, does anyone have any recommendations.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 28th Nov 16, 10:45 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    matelodave
    Just to upset you.

I've got a Daikin Altherma ASHP and had a minor problem with the auto-vent valve at the top of the heating unit. Phoned my installer (Cambridgeshire) at around 11am - he was there and had fitted the spare part by 2pm.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • manxklookie
    • By manxklookie 8th Dec 16, 2:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    manxklookie
    Experience from customer in Isle of Man
    I had a Husky heat pump installed in June 2012 and before I signed the contract I wanted reassurance that Husky would set up a local support agent in the Isle of Man as my installation was one of the first. SOme 4 years later there is still no support agent in the Isle of Man with a supply of spares and knowledge of how to repair the heat pump. Husky keep saying to use a local electrician but that is no good because he won't have the correct spares in stock so there are always delays in getting repairs done.

Following installation there were numerous system noise issues related to poor routing of copper pipework and the pipework generally was very poor. They eventually sorted out the pipework but the system regularly failed in the first year due to a faulty sensor in the heat pump itself. In July this year, the heat pump packed up completely and it was only a week later that the part arrived from Husky after a whole load of excuses around how my emails got missed, how messages did not get passed on, how the parts were not in stock etc etc. The General Manager eventually apologised profusely and promised that in future I should also email and phone him if any issues and he would keep an eye on progress. The unit failed again last Friday with a different faulty component and despite phoning and emailing I could not get hold of the General Manager...still no response from him. There was no note on my account about having free parts for an extra 2 years so I had a real issue persuading the customer services guy that I did not need to pay for the parts. Parts arrived the following day and fitted and system working again. Packed up again on Tuesday evening this week and initial advice proved useless but I managed to get it working by resetting the RCD myself. Sent off another email asking for more information and explanations but no response yet.

There have now been 3 total system outages in the last 5 months...not impressed.

My biggest concern is that if this unit fails on Christmas Eve, it will be a number of days before Husky can get the parts to me in the Isle of Man and Christmas will be ruined for my family. Husky do not seem to appreciate the inconvenience of having no heating at this time of year.

The 24hrs support line is a joke because they only ever seem to respond during their normal office hours. Exactly what the purpose of the 24hr number is I don't know and have asked for an explanation. Seriously thinking about switching back to a system that can be supported locally and is more reliable.
    Last edited by manxklookie; 08-12-2016 at 2:37 PM. Reason: Missed information out.
    • Preseli Girl
    • By Preseli Girl 20th Feb 17, 9:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Preseli Girl
    Husky heat pumps- multiple issues
    We were persuaded by Husky to have a16kW air source heat pump installed last year. Their survey showed we would benefit from a heat pump, i.e., they guaranteed we would save money on heating bills and our home would be warmer over a longer duration than when using the oil boiler. The heat loss report was calculated at 10kWh for our old detached house which has large single glazed sash windows, open chimneys, solid stone construction, built on the earth and the only insulation is in the loft. Apart from appalling workmanship, after the installation, we experienced several issues such as the formation of black spot mould on curtains and in the middle of walls, which we had never had before. The house hasn't been warm unless we light the wood burning stove which we have had to do almost daily since last summer. The latest shock was the electricity bill which has risen to an unaffordable £839 for the last quarter. Monthly payments will now cost £475 for the predicted usage and to catch up from the summer months which are also around the same figures. Even with the RHI, we are faced with an annual increase of £1,719 compared to the oil which used to cost us around £880 per year. When you ring Husky, it's almost impossible to get to speak to someone who can help, let alone get an engineer to come and check everything is working properly. I have had my electricity provider NPower check everything over, and in fact, they have been super helpful and sympathetic in all of this. Husky says their meter reading shows a less than average use for this time of year and it must be the fact that I use a tumble drier a lot... I knew in the first couple of weeks that we had made a very costly mistake, but we were advised that there would be a period of adjustment and that we should let things settle down...
    • Husky Heat Pumps
    • By Husky Heat Pumps 24th Feb 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Husky Heat Pumps
    Our customers satisfaction is our priority
    We were persuaded by Husky to have a16kW air source heat pump installed last year. Their survey showed we would benefit from a heat pump, i.e., they guaranteed we would save money on heating bills and our home would be warmer over a longer duration than when using the oil boiler. The heat loss report was calculated at 10kWh for our old detached house which has large single glazed sash windows, open chimneys, solid stone construction, built on the earth and the only insulation is in the loft. Apart from appalling workmanship, after the installation, we experienced several issues such as the formation of black spot mould on curtains and in the middle of walls, which we had never had before. The house hasn't been warm unless we light the wood burning stove which we have had to do almost daily since last summer. The latest shock was the electricity bill which has risen to an unaffordable £839 for the last quarter. Monthly payments will now cost £475 for the predicted usage and to catch up from the summer months which are also around the same figures. Even with the RHI, we are faced with an annual increase of £1,719 compared to the oil which used to cost us around £880 per year. When you ring Husky, it's almost impossible to get to speak to someone who can help, let alone get an engineer to come and check everything is working properly. I have had my electricity provider NPower check everything over, and in fact, they have been super helpful and sympathetic in all of this. Husky says their meter reading shows a less than average use for this time of year and it must be the fact that I use a tumble drier a lot... I knew in the first couple of weeks that we had made a very costly mistake, but we were advised that there would be a period of adjustment and that we should let things settle down...
    Originally posted by Preseli Girl
    Thankyou for you feedback. At Husky Heat Pumps our customers satisfaction is our priority and we are committed to ensuring that our service and products exceed the standards that our customers expect. We are continually working to improve our service and can assure you that we are already investigating the issues you have raised.

We value the relationship we have with each of our customers and maintaining this is paramount to us.

Thank you
    Husky Heat Pumps Ltd.
    Last edited by Husky Heat Pumps; 24-02-2017 at 4:09 PM.
    • Lidi
    • By Lidi 14th Aug 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lidi
    Husky Heat Pump: don't touch them
    We had this system installed including radiators and heat pumps x 2 last year. It has been a nightmare from start to finish. The workmanship of radiator etc installation was appalling , we are not getting the RHI they told us that we would, and the system has broken down more time than i can count, including about every 10 days over winter. When it works it seems to be fine, but unfortunately it has not worked more than it has worked. The 24hr helpline, as others have said, is not actually a 24hr helping, you just pay a premium rate to leave your name and number and someone gets back to you the next working day: well you may as well just ring yourself the next morning. Getting help and and engineer was absolutely terrible last year but seems to be a bit better lately (yes we are still needing visits).
    I would absolutely NOT recommend this company. I really want a green efficient system, but this company are NOT the ones to have supply it sadly.
    • Lidi
    • By Lidi 14th Aug 17, 8:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lidi
    Husky service charges
    I've just posted about Husky, but forgot to mention- One thing that wasn't clear was the servicing charge: you have to get it serviced to keep the warranty (which, believe me, you'll want to keep), but unlike having a regular system serviced which might cost £75, it cost us nearly £300. It takes the edge off the RHI etc i can tell you.
    • Pee'd off
    • By Pee'd off 28th Nov 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pee'd off
    Fraud comes to mind!
    Wish we had seen this post before we coughed out on a HUSKY HEAT PUMP
    From the start the unit has been a disappointment, as previous contributions state. It has been difficult to near impossible to contact them and get a positive proactive response,the phrase Customer service is not in their vocabulary. Grab your money and run does. £250 for an annual service plan, they are joking! We've upgraded our radiators, insulation etc to comply with specifications and requirements of their survey. The system works (sort of) but as with other's is consuming double to over 3 times of electricity to that promised in the survey.

Trying to do right for the environment and you get kicked in the teeth. Try to buy British and support our home industry and you get kicked in the teeth.
    Well this customer bites back.

We have all our correspondence in writing and know that HUSKY record all their calls.
    We've set Husky a deadline to resolve all our issues . After that date we will commence proceedings via HIES.

Well we are now being promised a resolution, with 12 inches plus of lying snow, I do hope so. 40Kwh/day ain't cheaper!!! when you had originally been quoted 12 - 14. Our new woodburner can't come a moment to soon.
    Last edited by Pee'd off; 11-12-2017 at 8:10 PM. Reason: update progress
    • Preseli Girl
    • By Preseli Girl 4th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Preseli Girl
    Husky made to remove system and pay refund by HIES
    Don't delay in getting the ball rolling with HIES. It took us 6 months of contacting all the consumer bodies including the Credit Card Claims under Section 75, until I contacted HIES, then it took them another 9 months. During that time we have paid over £4,000 for our electricity because of the heat pump. Like you, we thought we would go sustainable, support British etc, so we upgraded radiators etc., but the house was cold and Husky kept saying that the system was spot on for us!

At the end of September, by which time the pump was breaking down regularly, Husky were made to refund the cost of installing the system and the radiators. Unfortunately we were not compensated for the difference in energy costs or damage to the house. On 2 October 2017, they came to remove the system.

The whole process was stressful and extremely time consuming doing research and learning all the legal terms and rights. Had I been in full time employment or had a young family, I would not have had the time to sort it out. Which brings me to another issue which may not be relevant in this thread... how come all these consumer bodies and codes exist to support the consumer but seem unable to act when you need them? Including the consumer rights act itself? How does a normal Joe Bloggs exercise those rights without spending a fortune in court? The irony of my story is that the one consumer code which had no obligation to help me, because Husky were a member of RECC when my installation took place, took on my case and got a result. That was HIES. Amazing support and I can't thank them enough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter