Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 19th Aug 13, 10:39 PM
    • 792Posts
    • 4,678Thanks
    Tahlullah
    The impossible dream
    • 19th Aug 13, 10:39 PM
    The impossible dream 19th Aug 13 at 10:39 PM
    Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, but have been reading for several years. It has been a help and inspiration, but I have never felt the need to get involved until today.

I have been financially aware for many years and now have set a goal which I know I cannot achieve. My aim is to be mortgage free within 2 years. It is impossible to do, I have read everything, looked at spread sheets, calculated within an inch of my sanity, but I cannot do this without becoming a hermit and stopping Ďlivingí. The one thing the diaries have taught me is that people have great intentions, but after a while, the frugality can become grating and somewhat depressing and so the aim becomes a chore.

As I still want to live my life to the full, I am not prepared to give up all luxuries; I do not have any debt and I do not overspend. I regularly have no spend days, sometimes going a whole week without letting the moths out of my purse for air! I donít smoke, drink in excess, have a gym membership, shop frivolously for food; Iím not into handbags, makeup, shoes or clothes. In fact, I am the most boring person I know. But I do like holidays!

I bank with F.Direct, in my opinion a great bank. The mortgage is an offset. I already overpay, but I cannot seem to find any other substantial spare cash to over overpay with.

I already save bits of change, xbay, Tilly Tidy, use the sweep function to put extra bits into the mortgage, whilst maintaining a small amount of savings. I decided I preferred to pay off the mortgage than save as I feel better about watching the capital reduce.

I made my decision to do the impossible and this weekend, conjured £200 out of nowhere to overpay on top of what I normally pay - cashed in my £2 coins. Now, I have come to a dead stop and hit a brick wall. No more conjuring until payday!
    So, I am going to keep this diary to help me to focus, and see what progress I can make out of nothing at all. I am going to aim at reducing my capital by £500 by the end of the financial year, in addition to my normal mortgage payments, without having a substantial negative effect on my way of life.

I am going to take small steps. I shall begin by trying to xbay or Gumtree anything that is not tied down, including the cat if anyone will pay me for him. I will continue with my sweep every month. I will continue with my no spend days. I will continue to collect change in the hope of knocking small amounts of the amount owed, so I can see a difference being made.

The spread sheets say I could be mortgage free in 4.5 years. I would like to be free in 2, by my 50th birthday. I could stretch it to 3 years as I am still technically 50 until I am 51! I am committing to posting once a week, even if to say, I have made no progress. Hopefully, someone will be able to inspire me to great heights.

Thank you for your help so far. Let the games begin.
Page 11
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 13th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    Well done on your holiday spending Tahullah, YNAB really opens your eyes doesn't it. I think you hit the nail on the head "it's blissful ignorance" cause you still end up paying for all the things you need as you need them but sometimes have to borrow from Peter to pay Paul to do it. At least with YNAB you have thought it through in advance.

Those filters are worth including in a home maintenance category for next time you need them, it's not classed as an unexpected expense next time cause you've had one in YNAb, plan for it next time
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 13th Jun 17, 6:20 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Good idea Welshlassie. Will do.

Tx
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 14th Jun 17, 2:57 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    I have a few sub categories for this stuff - home maintenance/repairs, homewares and home renovations. The middle one is where we spend a lot of money; it's plants, paint, fencing, the things that add to the aesthetics of the place and keep it looking loved, but aren't strictly necessary. Home repairs is the have-to-do-it stuff, like the fact that my hot water system has needed a plumber three times in the past six months, and home renovations is the pie-in-the-sky stuff. It gives me a good sense of the true cost of owning a home.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    October 2017 - $216,963.86 Current MFD 31 July 2035
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Had 3 NSD's and then had to buy a twin pack of Bionaire Air Filters for the filter in the bedroom. Not budgeted for. Another expense you just don't think about that you have to buy every so often.
    Originally posted by Tahlullah
    Slightly different, but we have air conditioning (well, used to when lived in apartment, now only one unit - and 36 degrees forecast this week ). Two years ago in the apartment it was really not working well - noisy and not going cold enough - so we called out someone, thinking it needed regassed.
    'When did you last clean the filters?'
    'What filters?'

They were filthy. A quick wash of them and all was well. We were mortified - but when mentioned to neighbours and friends no-one else had cleaned theirs so didn't feel quite so embarrassed .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 14th Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Hello Gallygirl, thanks for popping by. I was surprised at how dirty the filters were. Somehow, people seem to think the air is clean, because they can't see the particles suspended in it. More people should filter the air in their homes, its frightening to imagine what they are subjecting their lungs to otherwise.

To be fair, I wouldn't have known to clean the filters in an air conditioning unit, unless I had fitted it! You know then because you would have read the user manual.

Enjoy the weather where you are. Extremely jealous. We are hoping get a bit of sun this weekend in the UK, but as usual, the press only report the South East. The rest of the country doesn't count, so not sure on the weather forecast in Wales.
    Last edited by Tahlullah; 19-06-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 30,476 Posts
    • 112,190 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Hello Gallygirl, thanks for popping by. I was surprised at how dirty the filters were. Somehow, people seem to think the air is clean, because they can't see the particles suspended in it. More people should filter the air in their homes, its frightening to imagine what they are subjecting their lings to otherwise.

To be fair, I wouldn't have known to clean the filters in an air conditioning unit, unless I had fitted it! You know then because you would have read the user manual.

Enjoy the weather where you are. Extremely jealous. We are hoping get a bit of sun this weekend in the UK, but as usual, the press only report the South East. The rest of the country doesn't count, so not sure on the weather forecast in Wales.
    I use this Metoffice site..... ( not for Cardiff, for my own town).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcjszmp44

I find it good.

Just type your town into the search bar and it will give you very localised, hourly information re. the weather.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 16,455 Posts
    • 107,807 Thanks
    gallygirl
    You know then because you would have read the user manual.
    em...... Basically you use the remote control and it's self explanatory so no reading of manual

36 is a bit extreme - funny that here the Spanish talk of having a 'bad summer' if it's excessively hot (as it was two years ago - over 35 for more than two months ), as opposed to the 'bad summers' in the UK. Hope the weather is kind to you wherever you are.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 15th Jun 17, 6:11 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    A bad summer here is when it's 38 and above for at least two weeks, or it gets over 40 for three or more days in a row. To be fair, over 35 for two months sounds awful as well.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 15th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    GG and ACE, you talk of nightmares I can only ever dream about!

Can't imagine those temperatures in the UK. I would hazard a guess that the whole infrastructure of the country would stop as a result due to it being the wrong kind of sun, the wrong kind of heat, the wrong kind of warmth.

But we are tolerant. Look how well we cope with the wrong type of rain, snow, leaves etc.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 15th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    So depressed I bought chocolate. Blew my NSD.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 16th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    And today, I remembered that I hadn't budgeted for the F1 next month. So, next months pots are being shifted around to allow me some spending money. i think I can live without budgeting for Christmas and Rufus's teeth etc for one month. It's not affected my mortgage over payment so all is good.

I must make sure I don't make this a regular occurrence and try to remember what events I have coming up so I can put money aside.

Again, another win as I am not having to push myself into debt to accommodate the upcoming spend.

I will make today a NSD to celebrate this great but small win.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 25th Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    10 days later and nothing to report. Everything going the way it should be. I am not spending frivolously, instead maintaining my NSD average.

Everything is working the way it should. But I still feel a bit despondent.

I still don't know what is happening with the BIG DEBT and I am crawling towards hearing something shortly. This is adding to my current malaise and general depression.

I am still paying off this very small for me visa bill that accrued on a holiday, that I am so angry about. But, reading some WNAB posts have given me a bit of inspiration.

I have been saving towards my buffer of £5000 for 2 months and so far have managed to save £60. YNAB says that perhaps the amount is this low because I don't see it as a priority, so I'm not budgeting towards it. This may be true.

Anyway, I have archived the buffer category for now and have introduced a Debt Snowball category instead. I am using the money in the Buffer category for the F1, and starting with the snowball category next payday. I am obsessed with this visa bill. Once it is gone, I will feel a bit better.

I also made a decision that I will probably not be going to America in September, as I will have to put myself in debt to do it. I want to go, but I want the debt less.

Additionally, part of my malaise is not feeling secure at work. I have been in the situation where I have been at risk of losing my job before and rode it out on more than one occasion. I need to get a positive mindset which reminds me that if I do lose my job, I will be able to work. I am taking inspiration from others - Tori.k - and I am going to see if I can find a job that allows me to make a bit of side income. Maybe if I stop being so precious about they work I do and accept that I just need 'work' perhaps I can get to be where I want to be.

I want to pay down my mortgage. (This may not be achievable with the job at risk, but I can keep reducing the amount owed.)

I want to clear my visa bill. (This is not a large amount, but based on my current budgeting, it will take to Christmas and that isn't really acceptable to me.)

I want to go to America. (I don't think I can find the money for that without it impacting on my desire to overpay the mortgage. At some point, I have to jump.)

So, I will look for a pt job that fits my chaotic lifestyle.
    I will pay any spare change into my debt snowball category and try to help pay off the visa faster.
    I will keep watching to see if I can afford America.
    I will keep making my £50 overpayments on the mortgage.
    I will re-evaluate at the end of the year and look to set new targets at that point.

Onwards and upwards.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 25th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I'm not surprised you are feeling so despondent with so much uncertainty hanging over you. You are doing so well looking for ways to make progress.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you find a way to fund the trip.

Are there any skills you have that you could freelance, so find work that you could fit in when you find time, instead of a job with set hours/times?
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 26th Jun 17, 2:18 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    Awww, Talullah, you can join me in the grumpy corner! I have biscuits and tea. It's definitely dispiriting, plodding along trying to pay off tiny bits of the mortgage when you have a potential Big Debt hanging over you. I'm impressed you're trying at all, that would be enough to sink many of us.

Think switching priorities to the Visa bill is a good idea. Even if it's 0% interest it'll make you feel better to have it gone.

As well as secondary income, is eBaying or car booting an option? A good declutter can help lift the mood!
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 26th Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Thanks for the well wishes guys, really appreciated. I have always been a glass half full type of person, but just get 'down' every so often when there is something affecting me over which I have no control. To be fair, the bad news would be better than no news as I can look toward a solution at that point. But this perpetual waiting is grating.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. ETE, I have no skills at all that I can sell on to others. Heck, I'm surprised I'm even employed to be honest! I use the old Jedi mind trick - 'You DOOO need me in your organisation, don't youuu...' So far, it's worked, but I'm a bit out of shape of late. So, no special skills to sell.

Laughed when you suggested Car Boot. The last car boot I did, I nearly got into a fisticuff with a woman who picked up a bag I was selling, ragged on it and broke it and then said she didn't want it. Of course I said she should pay for it, she said no etc. Eventually, I told her that if she steps away without paying for it, I would take something from her, anything and I would destroy it in front of her. ANYTHING. She was holding quite a lot, so it would have been possible. She paid me the grand total of 50p which is what it was for sale for and I threw the bag in the bin. So, perhaps not car boot sales.

I have ebayed my entire life away. The only thing I have left in the living room is a soap box and a telly. I suppose I could sell the telly, but it's not a flat screen etc, so no-one would want it.

However, I still have Rufus...

Beautiful day here today. Planning on going shopping, thus ending my 3 day NSD run. I have £14.50 left for me in my personal money according to YNAB, which should be plenty for 1 week, I'm not planning on going anywhere. YNAB also says the age of my money is currently 32 days old. Still don't get this function, but I read at the weekend I should be aiming for 60 days. Wow, the thought that my money was 60 days old! If my money was that old, would I even be in this predicament?

Better get ready for work. Have a nice day everyone.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 26th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 4,196 Posts
    • 8,666 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Hugs to you although the car boot story made me laugh yes maybe not that.

As for selling skills I agree it can be difficult I've thought about it myself and I think we devalue ourselves which makes it impossible to see anything positive. It's human nature. I hope you get some clarity at work it's horrible not knowing. If you're well known I think the you need me it a good approach always worked for me until I moved and I don't know as many.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93 £9750/£12k Pay off wasted money £2400/£10k
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 26th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    The only problem is, if anyone does know me, they would run a mile, screaming 'No, not her!!'

It was a nice day today. Hope you all had a pleasant one!
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 27th Jun 17, 1:12 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    Nooo don't sell Rufus! Maybe teach him tricks and send him out on the streets as a performing cat instead?

That is a fantastic car boot story. Ok, not car boots. Not eBay. Hmmm. Room for a lodger?
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 27th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Wouldn't a lodger get a bit upset with the lack of furniture?

No, I like my own space too much. Couldn't imagine having to get dressed every single day because there was a stranger walking around my personal space; when all I want to do is stroll to the toilet and have a wee before heading back to bed.
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 27th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    No, lodgers only work for certain house set ups, I guess.

Marry a billionaire and then arrange for a mysterious accident?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

3,912Users online

Martin's Twitter