Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chickaroonee
    • By chickaroonee 18th Aug 13, 10:50 AM
    • 8,242Posts
    • 600,384Thanks
    chickaroonee
    Any keen bird feeders out there?
    • 18th Aug 13, 10:50 AM
    Any keen bird feeders out there? 18th Aug 13 at 10:50 AM
    Just wondered really. We started feeding the birds last winter after we lost one of our (keen hunter) cats. I was amazed at the number of variety of birds who started coming, really quite quickly.

We've seen several juveniles this spring and really looking forward to winter to see who visits again. I'm hoping the goldfinches come back as they were just beautiful to watch,

too many comps..not enough time!
Page 45
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 30th Jun 16, 1:51 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    We feed quite a lot but are inundated by Jackdaws (the new Starling) and Magpies. Good job they go when full and the other locals can get a look in. I don't like it when a Sparrow etc hits the window but a Jackdaw is a whole new thing.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper

We've got loads of Jackdaws too, used to have Magpies but haven't seen any for a while. The Jackdaws are a pain with the food especially the fatballs. They try to land on the feeders but can't manage it but the food tumbles out of the feeders where they bash into them lol. We've only had Jackdaws for a couple of years though.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Jun 16, 2:15 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 24,120 Thanks
    Primrose
    Wizard, could you post a link to the seed you buy please? I've tried lots of no grow ones and always still have a mini meadow under the feeders. I've looked on the country wide website and can't find it. Thanks.
    Originally posted by Fay
    I had this problem for ages, especially with niger seed when the feeder pole was anchored in an flower border but now its anchored in a cylinder apike container in the lawn anything which gets missed by the ground feeding birds simoly gets shopped down by the mower.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 30th Jun 16, 2:20 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Wizard, could you post a link to the seed you buy please? I've tried lots of no grow ones and always still have a mini meadow under the feeders. I've looked on the country wide website and can't find it. Thanks.
    Originally posted by Fay
    I am sorry for the miss-spell, it should have been County Wide, I didn't realise until I saw your post

I get mine from a local petfood shop as it arrives postage free that way and also it is easier to pick it up from them rather than hope to be in when it is delivered.
    The company that it comes from is called: Albert E James & Son Ltd and the website is w3.aejames.com/id7html, there is contact details there for ordering by phone or email but no online ordering as such.
    I get the VAM no grow, this time it was £19.50 for 15kg bag.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 760.6
    This week - 65.9
    • Reen
    • By Reen 28th Jul 16, 7:30 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Reen
    Hooray! Baby blackbirds in my garden, looks like 3rd time lucky for the pair here! I believe magpies have had the first two broods, there has been a dreadful racket of blackbird and magpie "shouting" twice, but it was all over by the time I got there.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 5th Aug 16, 4:34 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 24,867 Thanks
    Gers
    A very welcome addition to my peanut feeders!

• cally6008
    • By cally6008 17th Aug 16, 12:04 PM
    • 7,364 Posts
    • 11,115 Thanks
    cally6008
    Lovely photo Gers, really clear.

We've noticed a huge difference this month, definitely not as many birds visiting at the moment. Whilst it is saving me a fortune on fat balls and seed, I do miss seeing the birds.

• Reen
    • By Reen 17th Aug 16, 2:07 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Reen
    Same here, Cally, except for a greenfinch. That's a new one for us.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Aug 16, 2:18 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 24,867 Thanks
    Gers
    My garden is full of birds still- goldfinches galore, chaffinches, siskins, two collared doves and endless little brown things!

The peanut feeders are the main attraction for the various tits whilst the others are feasting on sunflower seeds and hearts.

There's a lot of twittering and tweeting going on outside, it's lovely to hear.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 18th Aug 16, 2:16 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 9,198 Thanks
    Happygreen
    It's been a lovely birdie summer. I pondered on getting a cat for a while but I think I enjoy watching the birds more than a few granted cuddles at the moment!
    The Wrens and Warblers must live nearby the window where my desk is so there is constant distraction! Sparrows, too. A whole lot of swallows was chasing a sparrowhawk yesterday, quite a spectacle! The did not let up until he was truly gone, no hiding in the trees allowed! Mr pheasant has basically moved in, the chickens and ducks have accepted his presence in the meantime, even the cockerel has given up chasing him. Sad, though that he no longer has a lady to bring along, she must have been taken last summer.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 4th Sep 16, 10:59 AM
    • 6,738 Posts
    • 9,240 Thanks
    KxMx
    I spotted long tailed T I T s at the suet blocks a few days ago

Hopefully they'll become everyday visitors soon
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 8th Sep 16, 1:24 PM
    • 10,630 Posts
    • 10,211 Thanks
    Chris25
    The company that it comes from is called: Albert E James & Son Ltd and the website is w3.aejames.com/id7html, there is contact details there for ordering by phone or email but no online ordering as such.
    I get the VAM no grow, this time it was £19.50 for 15kg bag.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id

I couldn't get your link to work but got it in through www.aejames.com perhaps page link has changed?

Anyhow, thank you for the info
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 13th Sep 16, 11:50 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 6,169 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    For those of you who are interested in birds and nature I've just discovered BBC Radio Norfolk's Countryside Hour. It's broadcast on a Monday night but is also available as a podcast. I've just listened to the 22nd August one where farmer Chris Skinner is in the studio, talking about nature and the birds who visit his farm. Apparently there are plenty of fresh berries available for them at the moment but they'll soon be back to our gardens when the temperatures drop! I hope that some of you enjoy listening to it, I've added it to my favourites
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 24,867 Thanks
    Gers
    Some bird was caught the other day. Found this today after being away for a couple of days.

• Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 24,120 Thanks
    Primrose
    Gers, that looks like your local sparrow hawk has been in action!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 24,867 Thanks
    Gers
    Gers, that looks like your local sparrow hawk has been in action!
    Originally posted by Primrose

Yes, I think so too. Just not sure of what it caught. There has been just one collared dove which I suspect - by the colour of the feathers - could be a goner. However, the feathers look a little small and fluffier than a dove, so I'm not too sure.

Not any of the little birds I think. Such is nature. It doesn't seem to have put off the tits or goldfinches or green finches or chafffinches. Woodpecker has been seen. Hazelnuts vanishing daily though the squirrel has been more elusive this year than last.

Was told today I've got a bat in my loft. Not sure what to make of that!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Nov 16, 11:09 AM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 24,867 Thanks
    Gers
    The birds are really upping their eating rate! Two sunflower seed feeders are cleared in half a day. Nyger seed feeder empty in three hours and even the peanut feeders are being cleared at a much faster rate than over the summer.

I'm now adding in apples and fat to the selection.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th Nov 16, 2:30 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I have attached a tray to the bottom of one of the seed feeders to catch the 'overspill', the birds won't feed from the tray but if I pour it all back into the feeder they gobble it up
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 760.6
    This week - 65.9
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,917Posts Today

6,103Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin