P.I.P. timescales...

Comments

• jga1940
    jga1940 Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2014 at 10:32PM
    The public accounts committee has issued a damning report on the introduction of personal independence payment. Margaret Hodge, chair of the committee, has called PIP a ‘fiasco’ which has ‘let down some of the most vulnerable people in our society’.

In its report, the committee states that the Department’s failure to pilot the scheme has caused unnecessary distress for claimants who have been unable to access the support they need to live, and in some cases work, independently and describes the personal stories they heard as ‘shocking’.

Margaret Hodge MP, Chair of the Committee of Public Accounts, said last week:

"The implementation of Personal Independence Payment has been nothing short of a fiasco. The Department of Work and Pensions has let down some of the most vulnerable people in our society, many of whom have had to wait more than 6 months for their claims to be decided.

"The Department’s failure to pilot the scheme meant that the most basic assumptions, such as how long assessments would take and how many would require face-to-face consultations, had not been fully tested and proved to be wrong. This resulted in significant delays, a backlog of claims and unnecessary distress for claimants who have been unable to access the support they need to live, and in some cases work, independently.

"The personal stories we heard were shocking. We heard evidence of a claimant requiring hospital intervention as a result of the stress caused by the delays suffered, and another claimant who was unable to afford the specific diet required for diabetes and gastric problems while waiting for a decision.

"By October 2013, the Department had only made 16% of the decisions it had expected to have made by that time. What was particularly alarming was that terminally ill people were having to wait on average 28 days for a decision, 180% longer than expected.

"Some claimants have been forced to turn to food banks, loans and charitable donations to support the extra costs of living associated with their disability.

"The standard of service provided by the Department and its contractors has been unacceptable. Claimants have experienced difficulties in arranging appointments – and assessors have cancelled home visits at the last minute and have failed to turn up when claimants have travelled to assessment centres. Four in ten claimants in Atos areas have had to travel over an hour to be assessed, a far cry from its promise that between 75% and 90% of claimants would travel less than 30 minutes to an assessment centre.

"We are concerned that Atos appears to have included incorrect and potentially misleading information in its bid for the contract. Atos stated in its tender document that it had “contractual agreements” in place with a national network of 56 NHS hospitals, 25 private hospitals and over 650 physiotherapy practices to provide assessments. This turned out not to be true.

"The Department should challenge claims made in bids, so that it can demonstrate it has not relied on inaccurate or exaggerated information when awarding contracts.

"We would have expected the Department to have exercised particular caution in letting this contact, given the poor performance of Atos on Work Capability Assessments. The Department must take into account previous performance on similar work when running a procurement.

"The process has also proved to be inaccessible and cumbersome for claimants, increasing the risk of delays and incorrect decisions.

"The Department urgently needs to get this Scheme up to scratch and make sure some of our most vulnerable citizens are protected when going through this process. What we’ve witnessed is a rushed, wholly unacceptable job, and the Department should take a long hard look at what went wrong."

This first report, following the evidence sessions where DWP ministers, senior Atos and Capita staff and staff from voluntary sector organisations were questioned about the effectiveness of PIP implementation, the committee has made a number of recommendations, stating that the Department:

should ensure that new systems and policies are fully tested before they are implemented nationally

should make the process easier for claimants by, for example, making paper claim forms available

should ensure that third parties supply information on claimants where relevant and do this in good time

must speed up all stages of the process to ensure benefit decisions are made on a timely basis and tackle the backlog of cases that has arisen

should ensure that it, and its contractors, provide an acceptable level of service to claimants

should challenge inaccurate or exaggerated claims made in bids (referring to Atos) and that it should have regard to previous performance on similar work when assessing contractors

Full Report
  • jga1940
    jga1940 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Hi BethMac64, I totally agree.They don't give a dam.

They are only following out the orders of IDS :(
  • jga1940 wrote: »
    They are only following out the orders of IDS :(

That seemed evident from the conversation I had yesterday.

It seems that many of the issues I've had have been flagged by DWP staff but action has to be taken at ministerial level to make changes. This would mean admitting an error had been made or things could have been managed better in the first instance. Something this particular minister of state is not reknowned for.

I can see DWP staff sickness levels increasing as a result of PIP, akin to what's happened/happening at ATOS. It's not the messenger that's to be blamed maybe?

For what ever reasons the systems set up around this benefit prevent departments and team member actually speaking to one another. The management is spread across the country with the left hand not having a clue what the right hand is doing with only those at the top communicating directly with one another.

I urge everybody who has been on this journey to complete the independent review. Link within this: http://www.equallives.org.uk/independent-review-pip-call-evidence/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=independent-review-pip-call-evidence and maybe send a copy to your local MP. Whilst the review won't help me it may mean somebody else doesn't have to have such a nightmare experience.
  • Hi Sunshinesuzie3,
    I see you are still in NIGHTMARE DWP STREET. You are right though the pip call centre are just reading of their IT systems,but surely, because the payment was recalled it should have initiated that an error had been made and therefor rectified immediately.What is the point of having a call centre when you can't get hold of the information you need.

They don't think it's an error! It's something that happens when a payment is over a certain amount. So the error is within the system. It's something they should have realised would happen, it would be a simple calculation, multiply the number of weeks by the maximum award and see when claims would go over the amount (ie 40 weeks at enhanced care and mobility) then note these claims would need to have an 'over ride' option on the system.
  • BethcMac64
    BethcMac64 Posts: 38 Forumite
    So you all know I've had my assessment back in April and they have done not just my report but a supplementary report too and I have been waiting on my decision and they tell me any day now, well today I received a letter from Atos, get this, an assessment appointment? Say what!!!!!
    It doesn't state if this assessment is in relation to my PIP claim or if it's for my ESA but I only had an ESA assessment last May? So I am now totally confused. I'm wondering if this was my original assessment appointment for PIP because it was my MP that actually got my assessment appointment date for me and it was in my town. I guess I need to call Monday and fight with them again, more stress!!
  • dialysis
    dialysis Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    That seemed evident from the conversation I had yesterday.

It seems that many of the issues I've had have been flagged by DWP staff but action has to be taken at ministerial level to make changes. This would mean admitting an error had been made or things could have been managed better in the first instance. Something this particular minister of state is not reknowned for.

I can see DWP staff sickness levels increasing as a result of PIP, akin to what's happened/happening at ATOS. It's not the messenger that's to be blamed maybe?

For what ever reasons the systems set up around this benefit prevent departments and team member actually speaking to one another. The management is spread across the country with the left hand not having a clue what the right hand is doing with only those at the top communicating directly with one another.

I urge everybody who has been on this journey to complete the independent review. Link within this: http://www.equallives.org.uk/independent-review-pip-call-evidence/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=independent-review-pip-call-evidence and maybe send a copy to your local MP. Whilst the review won't help me it may mean somebody else doesn't have to have such a nightmare experience.
    I agree think if everyone filled this in they might just see what a farce it is and the stress they are causing us vulnerable human beings
  • dialysis
    dialysis Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    BethcMac64 wrote: »
    So you all know I've had my assessment back in April and they have done not just my report but a supplementary report too and I have been waiting on my decision and they tell me any day now, well today I received a letter from Atos, get this, an assessment appointment? Say what!!!!!
    It doesn't state if this assessment is in relation to my PIP claim or if it's for my ESA but I only had an ESA assessment last May? So I am now totally confused. I'm wondering if this was my original assessment appointment for PIP because it was my MP that actually got my assessment appointment date for me and it was in my town. I guess I need to call Monday and fight with them again, more stress!!
    Hi Beth what time u calling them cos im on phone too about my 5 day call back, and my urgent 24 hour call back which are both 10 days over due lol my bloody phone bill will be atrocious perhaps we should all send them our bills good luck hun
  • geoff1057
    geoff1057 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It actually took 11 months from first applying for PIP, 7months from assessment, the assessor told us that it would take a few weeks due to my wifes medical condition. Rang CAPITA many times but they lied through their back teeth about claim. ATOS were worse for ESA claim , my wife should have gone straight into the support group , due to her having cancer, but it took them 5 months to actually do this, again was assisted by our MP. CAMERON CONTINUALLY SPOUTS ON ABOUT CANCER PATIENTS BEING DEALT WITH QUICKLY................... ABSOLUTE BULL ****
  • kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    They don't think it's an error! It's something that happens when a payment is over a certain amount. So the error is within the system. It's something they should have realised would happen, it would be a simple calculation, multiply the number of weeks by the maximum award and see when claims would go over the amount (ie 40 weeks at enhanced care and mobility) then note these claims would need to have an 'over ride' option on the system.

Susie, I couldn't believe it when I read the latest instalment to your saga. Due to my almost year long wait I assume I'll have the same problem if / when I get a favourable decision. I hope they pull their fingers out and you get what you are due very quickly. I've filled in the review questionnaire to the best of my ability and hope that will help others further down the line.

Well done to others that have finally got their decisions and here's hoping that the rest of us don't have to wait much longer.

Su
  • kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Getting really fed up now , still with bloody case manager .That makes it 9 weeks on monday.

Sorry to hear this, did you contact your MP (sorry if I've missed a post where you may have mentioned this)? I don't know if they can help when it's with a decision maker but my MP's office told me to contact them again if I have to wait more than two weeks for a decision.

Su
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport