Grandcat having extended 'sleepover'!

Comments

• his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Nonnie, have you stolen my Blackie?:rotfl: Oh no, your black cat has perfect ears, my ragamuffin has ripped ears.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Nonnie your cats a gorgeous! I just wish Barnes looked as good!

Woke up this morning to find 'tufts' of Barneyfur all over the place, and Barnes scratching like mad! He has fleas again! aaarggh. luckily I have a couple of Spot on capsules - but how the hell is he getting fleas? he doesn't go out! though he did make it into the 'garden' over the weekend he wasn't there above 30 seconds! its all gravel and decking.

Poor Barnes - you can clearly see the 'bites' though I couldn't find the culprit, Barnes was most un-cooperative! I couldn't even groom him - his skin is inflamed and he is not in the best of moods.
    anyone know of anything which will help 'soothe' his skin while the spot on does its job? he is so sore and itchy I could cry for him.
    what is going on? is there a race of 'superfleas'? I use a spot on and even used a flea collar for the last few weeks.
    I am definitely going to 'do' the house again, even though its only been six months - he is getting fleas too often! and it wont be 'Staykill' either. Acclaim worked a treat for me previously. Frontline didn't work at all even back when I had Nicki, if they don't work then its 'smoke bomb' time!
  • meritaten
    sorry - had to go as I was too upset. my poor Barnes looks awful! he has scratched loads of his fur out! he is obviously really uncomfortable and irritable. his skin is bleeding where he is scratching, but you can see little bite marks from the fleas............about a dozen or so bites. and I couldn't find the fleas! a bit of dirt which wasn't there yesterday, and he wont co-operate enough to let me look on his tummy or round his tail.
    I am hoping the spot on works, if not, then I am going to find somewhere that sells 'Johnsons Cat Flea Powder'. Bluddy well worked on first cat, did him once a year, and he rarely got fleas despite being an 'outdoor' cat. Spot ons are supposed to be better than those old fashioned remedys - but are they working?
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    it might be that he is more sensitive to flea bits than normal. flea eggs can live in the carpet for 3 years before hatching. the mild weather night have brought them out.

i've heard of a tablet called capstar which you can give practically on a daily basis and it kills fleas withing 1/2 hr - is it worth asking the vet about them?
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• nonnie44
    nonnie44 Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Aww His Missus, how did that happen to it's ears? I'd always wanted a pure black cat and was so chuffed when we got to choose her, Charlie was the only black in the litter and the rest all looked like Sam and he ran to the kids so he chose us :p

Thanks Meritaten, they are most definitely my babies, well my furry ones anyway lol

That's awful about the fleas, I wish I had some advice to offer but would it be worth asking a question on the main board, there seems to be a lot of pet lovers on this site.

BTW Barnes IS gorgeous, I remember the photo you posted of him before and he is lovely!

Hope you find a solution x
  • nonnie44
    nonnie44 Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just read your second post, I'm so sorry that poor Barnes is suffering so badly I can't stand watching any animal (or person) in pain.

That sounds like a good tablet Scaredy Cat, I'm a bit freaked at the thought of fleas being in the carpet for that long eeugh :eek:

Fingers crossed that he will be feeling better really soon xx
  • meritaten
    Nonnie - I do love Black and White cats! my first cat was a Black and White and he was a real character. yours are so Beautiful! and although I love Gingers, and Black and Whites - That pure Black of yours is a real Beauty! amazing green eyes.
  • meritaten
    edited 6 March 2014 at 9:13PM
    posting a bit earlier tonight.
    Poor Barnes - he didn't have TOO bad a night, not so much barneyfur scattered round the bedroom!! Did some research on tinternet and a couple of very reputable sites suggested catnip for soothing his irritated skin. so made a 'tea' of catnip and used cotton wool balls to apply it to the worst areas. I was worried he would go 'nutzoid', but instead he has settled down and is having a coma........... I mean sleep! he has been asleep for about three hours now, on one of the dining chairs under the table.

Poor boy - he was feeling so sorry for himself this afternoon after his 'no groom but treats', he actually SAT ON MY LAP! kept putting his face up to mine and 'nuzzling' me. I thought I would be happy if he ever came and voluntarily sat on my lap, but I am not. he just wanted some 'mummy love and sympathy!' which he got, as I am no stranger to allergy rashes myself!

I couldn't groom him, poor sod - areas of his back are RAW! still, his fur should be ok for a few days.
  • meritaten
    he had more 'Catnip Sponge Downs' today, and am pleased to report he is more 'himself'! he is currently cuddled up with OH watching TV! he is not completely comfortable, he is letting out little 'squeeks' now and then and OH complains that he is 'fidgeting'. but, his skin looks a lot better today and the house isn't covered in 'Barneyfur'!

GS day today and Barnes did greet him politely, but disappeared under the dining table. obviously he wasn't in the mood to play or interact.
    returned from taking GS to school and Barnes was on kitchen windowsill watching for me again! bless, he deserves an Oscar for the act he puts on when I come in! 'Yawn, rise slowly to feet, swish tail, step delicately onto worktop jump to floor ...........and then act surprised to see me'! roflmao!
    He isn't really keen on the Catnip Sponge Downs, he probably thinks I have gone completely insane, but, he is humouring me for now.
    strange cat, he really doesn't LIKE the taste of catnip! after his sponge down he has to 'dry himself off' and you can see the distaste on his face!
  • meritaten
    Barnes has scratched a bit today and I think I saw a flea on him earlier, but dammed if I can find it! he DOES need a thorough groom, but, I will do that tomorrow providing his skin is still healing nicely. and the catnip sponge baths are fluffing his fur up, and a bit of a shine seems to be developing! seems to work like a 'fur conditioner'! is that why they roll in it? the faces he pulls when 'drying himself off are quite funny!
    had GS again this morning and Barnes hid again after greeting him this morning. at stupid o clock - on a Saturday - groan, I was so looking forward to a lie in too! oh well, no grandkids sleeping over tonight so hopefully I will get my lie in tomorrow! I say 'lie in', I will still be up by 8.00am!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure