Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Unlicenced driver - can they drive on non public ... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Unlicenced driver - can they drive on non public roads?
Views: 2,866
# 21
paddedjohn
Old 10-08-2013, 6:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzby View Post
It is private - so no licence required. Public 'access' is a red herring as you will know with Private Parking Companies doing all they can to legitimise their pursuit of drivers to pay their parking invoices.

Any landowner can either let, or explicitly give permission for anyone to drive on their property - there is nothing that requires them to ensure a valid licence is issued to the driver. HOWEVER, insurance remains an issue - would the same landowner waive rights to pursue the unlicensed driver if they caused damage to their property? I doubt it!

Or if the same driver ran into the car in front after being pursued by monkeys? No police involvement is relevant, but the aggrieved party may have pursue the uninsured driver for their damages and costs.

If the car has a policy then the insurance will have to pay out any 3rd party claims regardless of who was driving or where.
Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to paddedjohn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
spacey2012
Old 10-08-2013, 6:54 PM

The rules only apply to what suits them.
End of story
Be happy...
# 23
mgdavid
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddedjohn View Post
If the car has a policy then the insurance will have to pay out any 3rd party claims regardless of who was driving or where.
untrue - best example is if it is stolen and then involved in a collision, the innocent victim needs to be fully comp and claim on his own insurance as the stolen car's owner's insurance will not pay out.
Never argue with idiots - they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgdavid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Yorkie1
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM

There are two separate 'public' issues raised in this thread, which are a little overlapped.

A car park is not a road as defined by s.192 (ignoring the public access issue - it's the rest of the definition which isn't met). Therefore the licence offence is not relevant. However, the offence of no insurance can be committed on a road or other public place - and a car park meets the test of a public place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkie1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
vaio
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavid View Post
untrue - best example is if it is stolen and then involved in a collision, the innocent victim needs to be fully comp and claim on his own insurance as the stolen car's owner's insurance will not pay out.
Nah, read RTA 1988 s151
The Following User Says Thank You to vaio For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
Aretnap
Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie1 View Post
There are two separate 'public' issues raised in this thread, which are a little overlapped.

A car park is not a road as defined by s.192 (ignoring the public access issue - it's the rest of the definition which isn't met). Therefore the licence offence is not relevant. However, the offence of no insurance can be committed on a road or other public place - and a car park meets the test of a public place.
Indeed, there are sections of the RTA which apply only on a "road", others which apply on "a road or other public place". The requirement to hold a licence only applies on a road. So in theory you could legally drive in a public car park with no licence - but only if you could find someone willing to insure you with no licence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aretnap For This Useful Post: Show me >>