Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Pets & Pet Care > Dog discipline, is a rolled up newspaper a good w... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Dog discipline, is a rolled up newspaper a good way
Views: 828
# 1
_Freddie_
Old 06-08-2013, 7:37 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation Dog discipline, is a rolled up newspaper a good way

Hiya,

Looking after a friends labradoodle, they are off in Tenerife for a fortnight.

The dog is biting the sofa when left alone all day. Whats the best way to stop this?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
shandypants5
Old 06-08-2013, 7:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,160 Posts

Best not to leave it alone all day...

You cant control the dog if your not there so there is nothing you can do.
A cage or crate would work but only for an hour or so at a time.
“Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”

# 3
angelsmomma
Old 06-08-2013, 7:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 1,612 Times in 525 Posts

Are you minding this dog in its own home or in yours?
Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
# 4
Person_one
Old 06-08-2013, 7:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 74,096 Times in 18,327 Posts

Troll alert folks, this is tod123's new AE, before you waste your time giving sensible advice.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
chris n tj
Old 06-08-2013, 7:55 PM

Thanked 4,420 Times in 1,592 Posts

Buy a very big crate Freddie, then a very big, strong padlock (hide the keys). Then you must try it out to make sure its ok, make sure you use the padlock. Job done, labradoodle can play and chew your sofa in peace. Jobs a good un x
RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chris n tj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Sagz
Old 06-08-2013, 8:11 PM

Thanked 7,834 Times in 3,291 Posts

Yes a rolled up newspaper is an excellent way to discipline trolls, if an iron bar can't be found.
Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sagz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
krlyr
Old 06-08-2013, 8:13 PM

Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,511 Posts

Yes, newspaper can be very effective. Roll up said paper, and whack yourself in the face every time you think of using it on the dog. It'll soon change your mindset - voila, training of the human achieved

In regards to training the dog, consider why he is doing this. His family are on holiday, he's in someone else's care - possibly someone else's home, if you're looking after him at your own house. It's bound to make him anxious, and dogs often can exhibit stress in the form of destructive behaviours.
It's going to be difficult to do too much in a short amount of time, or without spending too much money either (good if you want to, but I can see why you may feel it's not your place/responsibility).

Some things you can try in the meantime - if you have any Rescue Remedy in the house, you can use this in the dog's water or a few drops on the tongue (not the lozenges though, as they contain Xylitol which is harmful to dogs).

Giving him things to chew or lick. Not only does it distract him from chewing the sofa, but licking and chewing releases endorphins which can relax a dog. Natural chews like pigs ears, pizzles, etc. and if he has a Kong you could stuff, they could help (a stuffed Kong is ideal for leaving a dog unattended with too, no choking hazard as with some chews)

Tiring him out, physically and mentally. It's not just about knackering him out with intense exercise - a slow walk can be just as, if not more, tiring for a dog if it includes lots of mental stimulation. Combine walking with some games, with some running, with some training, etc. to wear out his brain as well as his muscles.

Removing any other triggers of stress in his environment too if you can. Over-exciting games like fetch can raise adrenaline levels in a dog - so could be worth being careful with that kind of exercise. If having dogs pass by your house sets him off barking, for example, keeping the curtains closed could help keep him more relaxed.

Also, rewarding him for being relaxed in the house - so keeping a tub or bag of treats within reach and randomly rewarding him when he's settled down on his bed or by your feet, reward for calm behaviour around the house, etc. can help. Also give a reward for being alone in a room - so if you're leaving the room to go to the loo, scatter some treats on the floor as you leave. The idea is to change his emotions from you leaving = bad, to you leaving = good.

If he's used to a crate, that could be another option to manage the behaviour - but certainly don't use one if he's not been introduced to one before, as it does take time to aclimatise a dog to them, and a distressed dog in a crate could do a lot of damage to themselves trying to escape.

(I suppose if OP is a troll, this advice might help anyone else having the same issue stumbling across this thread from Google)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to krlyr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
zaksmum
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM

Thanked 7,005 Times in 2,721 Posts

Don't even contemplate hitting the dog with ANYTHING.

There is no need whatsoever to hit a dog when training him. You need to use praise and reward and the dog will soon work out what is and is not acceptable.

If you hit the dog, you have failed right from the start.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zaksmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
CFC
Old 06-08-2013, 11:52 PM
PPR

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,690 Posts

I presume as the dog is alone all day when biting the sofa, the rolled up newspaper is for Mutt to take his aggression out on you instead when you come in from work, Freddie?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CFC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
MrSmartprice
Old 07-08-2013, 1:46 AM
PPR

Thanked 43,021 Times in 13,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Freddie_ View Post
Hiya,

Looking after a friends labradoodle, they are off in Tenerife for a fortnight.

The dog is biting the sofa when left alone all day. Whats the best way to stop this?
This can be cured by placing a small piece of lead in the dog's ear.

With a pistol.......
# 11
peachyprice
Old 07-08-2013, 7:23 AM

Thanked 33,103 Times in 10,618 Posts

I think breastfeeding is the only way to stop the dog biting the sofa, do you know any extremely helpful, non-judgemental, local groups who could hep?
Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peachyprice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Prothet of Doom
Old 07-08-2013, 7:34 AM

Thanked 3,000 Times in 1,246 Posts

3 solutions

1) Keep dog in Kitchen
2) Get up 2 hours earlier and take dog for very long walk
3) Get a plastic bottle, fill with pebbles, and shake it, whilst shouting "NO"

All from a book written by a certain Mrs B Woodhouse and freely available in our Local Libary.
# 13
chucknorris
Old 07-08-2013, 7:35 AM

Thanked 7,264 Times in 3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagz View Post
Yes a rolled up newspaper is an excellent way to discipline trolls, if an iron bar can't be found.
This is an outrageous post suggesting hitting the OP with a rolled up newspaper! I think it is well worth the effort to find an iron bar if you haven't got one to hand (I have).
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
Chuck Norris can touch MC Hammer
2014 fitness campaign: Jan 2014 weight: 78kg Target weight: 73kg, current weight: 75kg.After running injuries I now also cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chucknorris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Prothet of Doom
Old 07-08-2013, 7:35 AM

Thanked 3,000 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachyprice View Post
I think breastfeeding is the only way to stop the dog biting the sofa, do you know any extremely helpful, non-judgemental, local groups who could hep?
Mumsnet or Camra ?

I spat my coffee over my work laptop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prothet of Doom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
krlyr
Old 07-08-2013, 8:20 AM

Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothet of Doom View Post
3 solutions

1) Keep dog in Kitchen
2) Get up 2 hours earlier and take dog for very long walk
3) Get a plastic bottle, fill with pebbles, and shake it, whilst shouting "NO"

All from a book written by a certain Mrs B Woodhouse and freely available in our Local Libary.
A certain B Woodhouse did use several aversive methods though, ones that would be banned for registered trainers/behaviourists by organisations like the APDT and APBC.

For example, a dog that is anxious about being left home alone (and therefore displaying this with destructive behaviour) may become worse when using a method designed to scare a dog, like the pebble bottle and shouting. These are designed to spook and/or intimidate a dog - and that would likely worsen anxiety rather than fix it.

It may work, at least whilst the fear of the bottle or shouting is greater than the fear of being left home alone, but with this kind of method it often doesn't have a longterm effect - often requiring the aversive to be ramped up and up to have an effect. If anything, it could worsen the behaviour - not only will the dog get anxious about being home alone, but that it may be shouted at when the owner returns and sees the damaged furniture. So then a greater aversive is needed to be more intimidating, then that creates more anxiety, etc. - a vicious circle.

You're far more likely to get an effective resolution by addressing the cause of the destructive behaviour, i.e. the fear/anxiety if that's the cause, and changing the dog's emotional response to being home alone. If the dog actually looks forward to you leaving it, because that's become a cue for good things to happen, there's no need to intimidate it. Once the dog's state of mind has changed, you have "fixed" the dog.

Plus, if you teach a dog to deal with stress (e.g. with the settle training, providing physical means to calm down like chews and Kongs, etc.), if it does relapse slightly, it has more tools to learn to deal with this stress. I noticed this a lot when dealing with separation anxiety in my dog - the more time I spent training her a proper, relaxed "settle" on her bed, for example, the more I noticed (I recorded her being left alone and watched back the videos) she would go to her bed and attempt to settle. Every day she managed to settle for longer - and it was a self-rewarding behaviour, so it didn't even require me there like the pebbles-in-a-bottle method would.

http://shibashake.com/dog/aversive-dog-training
http://dog-notes.blogspot.co.uk/2010...niques-on.html

Last edited by krlyr; 07-08-2013 at 8:25 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krlyr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
dibuzz
Old 07-08-2013, 8:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,319 Posts

The best and easiest solution is to not leave the poor dog alone all day.
14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
# 17
aliasojo
Old 07-08-2013, 8:29 AM

Thanked 48,336 Times in 13,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Yes, newspaper can be very effective. Roll up said paper, and whack yourself in the face every time you think of using it on the dog.
Herman. MP for all!
# 18
peachyprice
Old 07-08-2013, 8:58 AM

Thanked 33,103 Times in 10,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothet of Doom View Post
Mumsnet or Camra ?

I spat my coffee over my work laptop.
I think Tod Freddie know just the people
Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear