Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    • 1,154Posts
    • 461Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD) 4th Aug 13 at 9:30 PM
    Hello and welcome!

This is a post that contains the hottest sim only deals right now. It also contains a link to a spreadsheet with a full list of every networks best sim only deals with cashback rates updated every week. This is a great way to compare Sim Only deals between providers and get the best bang for buck.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE NEW WEBSITE AND SIM ONLY DEALS

The website can be bookmarked and viewed from any device at any time. The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom of the page for different types of deals, there is also an FAQ page. Please read it (FAQ also on second post of this thread)

Visit the HUKD thread for more:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/best-sim-only-deals-megathread-1623625

Apologies for any mistakes in the above post.

On August 4th 2013 i created a thread on HUKD and MSE that compiled a list of the best sim only deals in the UK from major and minor networks. The deal was received well on HUKD with over 65,000 views and 5,000 degrees of heat within the first 24 hours. One month on the thread has been viewed over 100,000 times

The thread was a continuation of HUKD member QyestionMarks sim only thread which he had started 18 months earlier and closed down at the end of June. He was happy for me to take over and create my own take on an ultimate sim only guide. This led to the creation of the ultimate sim only deal spreadsheet which a lot of you will have seen by now. Maybe even used.

The goal of the spreadsheet is to create a concise and up to date guide with all sim only deals from major and minor networks. The first page deals with 2G and 3G deals. It also filters in cashback into the deals, shows the best rates for international calls, includes a selection of recommended apps to save money and it has 2 honourable mentions of pay as you go deals that may be useful to those who don't want a sim only or who are low users.

My goal is to create an ultimate sim only guide that is maintained and up to data at all times and that anyone can open and view on any device at any time.

Please view the 2G/3G Sim Only deals here-
    CLICK HERE FOR SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Are you ready for 4G?
    Starting from September i've updated the sim only deals spreadsheet to include 4G Sim Only tariffs from EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three.

At the moment Vodafone offer the best 4G tariffs due to cashback of over £130 from both Quidco and TCB. Three offer the best 4G deals for data but their 4G network won't launch until December. The page also contains a handy FAQ as well as a section on 4G handsets and why 4G won't work on the iPhone 5 on O2 and Vodafone.

Feel free to have a look through the 4G Ready Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR 4G SIM ONLY TARIFFS

And now i've included the best data sim only deals. This is a list of all networks that provide data sims for your Dongle, Mi-Fi or iPad/Tablet. This is very useful for those who need data on the go in the form of mobile broadband and already have a mobile broadband device.

The deals include some little known deals from Ovivo and Samba who provide a virtually free data service.

Feel free to have a look through the Data Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR DATA SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Written 05/09/2013
    Last edited by ZhugeEX; 03-10-2015 at 8:33 PM. Reason: 1
Page 33
    • mchale
    • By mchale 3rd Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    mchale
    http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • MoneyMate
    • By MoneyMate 6th Dec 17, 3:15 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 13,346 Thanks
    MoneyMate
    Iím new at this, please excuse me if I get it all wrong. My wife and I changed to ID Sim only deal as it saved more than half what we were paying, but more importantly gave the ĎTake your package to the USA, use your phone as if you were still in the UKí because we knew a holiday to the USA was coming up. In Memphis Tennessee now, canít use our phones as it seems we get roaming charges, canít contact ID because it would probably be to expensive to phone with waiting times, no live chat and no email address. Anyone got any suggestions??
    Originally posted by DelboyMk2
    Im sure it works great for you but please leave ID if you start to have problems, their non UK based helpline is run by "Cowboys"

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5749828
    There are more questions than answers
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times
    UK Resident
    • Cookiepops
    • By Cookiepops 14th Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Cookiepops
    Can anyone please help me as I have read through the guide and find it all so confusing. My contract with EE is up on 11 Jan. I am happy with my phone and want to keep it so I want to move to a SIM only deal. Im only a light user (1gb data allowance on current contract) so a couple of the latest deals Ive seen would be perfect for me. However, what i dont understand is if any of these deals is still on the EE network, does that mean i cannot apply for it? I don't think I need the PAC code if Im on the same network?

Thanks
    Cookiepops
    • TonksyRob
    • By TonksyRob 21st Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TonksyRob
    Three 12GB for £8 Sim only
    I don't think I've seen this on here, but if you go via topcashback you can get £60 cash back on a 12 month sim only contract for £13 @12GB per month including go binge.

With the cashback it works out at £8 per month.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 21st Dec 17, 7:59 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    IF they pay the cashback.
    • IAmHereHello
    • By IAmHereHello 1st Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IAmHereHello
    Why would they not?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Can anyone please help me as I have read through the guide and find it all so confusing. My contract with EE is up on 11 Jan. I am happy with my phone and want to keep it so I want to move to a SIM only deal. Im only a light user (1gb data allowance on current contract) so a couple of the latest deals Ive seen would be perfect for me. However, what i dont understand is if any of these deals is still on the EE network, does that mean i cannot apply for it? I don't think I need the PAC code if Im on the same network?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Cookiepops
    You need a PAC regardless if you want to keep your number. You of course need an unlocked phone if moving away from the EE network (anyone who doesn't use the EE masts). When you ask for your PAC they may offer a deal that matches whatever it is you're looking at.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Why would they not?
    Originally posted by IAmHereHello
    Cash back doesn't always track for one reason or another, never rely on it.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 1st Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    Kim_13

Thanks
    Originally posted by Cookiepops
    The contract becomes a rolling agreement from 11 Jan until you terminate your account with EE via the use of a PAC (if you decide to transfer to a different network) or via moving to a sim only deal. As such you'll need to give 30 days notice to exit your current contract. You can move before the 30 days is up but they'll bill accordingly for the period if any remains.

Requesting a PAC qualifies as 30 days notice but if you request one and don't use it, the contract remains live and you have to start and pay for a new notice period.

You can't use a PAC to transfer within EE - you need to ask them to do this. If they won't give you an EE deal that you want, you could port your number out to a Pay as You Go with another provider (perhaps take a network piggybacking off of EE so that you can use the credit and don't waste the money) then start again with EE, porting back in. You'd need to ensure that the new EE deal doesn't exclude anyone who has had a live account with EE in the last x months though.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • misty6
    • By misty6 3rd Jan 18, 3:11 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    misty6
    Hi please can you help me. I've been reading up on getting a new mobile phone plus I've been and looked in the phone shops in the town. I don't really understand it all.

But I do think I need a sim only phone. I have decided to get an iPhone 8 and would like to buy one outright. My question is if I buy one from somewhere like argos or Tesco, which seem to be cheaper than the phone shops, how do I get the texts and minutes and data on it? Would I just be better off going to the vodaphone shop and getting them to sort it out? My current phone is a vodaphone payg htc chahcha that I've had for about 7 years and I've got the internet on it switched off as it uses up all my credit. I don't have any plans or anything so don't know how they work.

I would like to keep my existing number if possible too. Ideally I want to go and buy one tomorrow but I've now sat up til 3am and my brain is fried!!

I hope this makes sense to you. Thank you...
    Mortgage and debt free
    • Sparkiee
    • By Sparkiee 3rd Jan 18, 7:21 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sparkiee
    You would need to get a the SIM card separate to the phone. As long as the phone is unlocked which it should be you can go to any phone company and shop for the sim deal.

Normally they come together so shown as one price but in this instance you would have them seperate so can try and negotiate a better price.

If you go to any of the phone companies websites and look for sim only deals that is what you need.
    • misty6
    • By misty6 3rd Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    misty6
    I just wanted to come back and say thank you for the help. Knowing that it was sim only deals that I was looking for made it so much easier. Technical stuff is just not one of my strengths!

I went to the carphone warehouse and am now the proud owner of an iPhone 8 with a £13.50 per month contract. I just have to work out how it works now as it has no instructions (or buttons lol). Fortunately loads of people I know have iphones so shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks very much
    Mortgage and debt free
    • kration
    • By kration 18th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kration
    What's the best SIM only deal at the moment for about 8Gb of data?

My contract with Vodafone ends soon and want to see what's out there...

(Edit - just seen the QuickLinks at the top of the page, I'll check those out)
    Last edited by kration; 18-01-2018 at 8:19 PM.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 19th Jan 18, 6:23 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    craigr98
    What's the best SIM only deal at the moment for about 8Gb of data?

My contract with Vodafone ends soon and want to see what's out there...

(Edit - just seen the QuickLinks at the top of the page, I'll check those out)
    Originally posted by kration
    Whats your deal with Vodafone, how much are you paying?
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hi can anyone recommend a good sim only deal, I!!!8217;m currently with O2 and my contract has now run its term so I can change to a new deal,I!!!8217;m lookin to pay less than £15 a month and I basically mainly use my phone for texting with the odd phone call ( about 4 calls a month if that) I do have internet data at the moment but only require a small amount because I tend to only use my mobile data if there is WiFi,I wouldn!!!8217;t mind staying with 02if they have any good deals
    • d123
    • By d123 22nd Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 6,984 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    d123
    Hi can anyone recommend a good sim only deal, Iím currently with O2 and my contract has now run its term so I can change to a new deal,Iím lookin to pay less than £15 a month and I basically mainly use my phone for texting with the odd phone call ( about 4 calls a month if that) I do have internet data at the moment but only require a small amount because I tend to only use my mobile data if there is WiFi,I wouldnít mind staying with 02if they have any good deals
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    For your usage you may as well move to PAYG, o2 classic Payg is 3p per min, 2p per text and 1p per MB.
    ====
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Hi can anyone recommend a good sim only deal, Iím currently with O2 and my contract has now run its term so I can change to a new deal,Iím lookin to pay less than £15 a month and I basically mainly use my phone for texting with the odd phone call ( about 4 calls a month if that) I do have internet data at the moment but only require a small amount because I tend to only use my mobile data if there is WiFi,I wouldnít mind staying with 02if they have any good deals
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    As above PAYG or if you prefer a set amount each month then £5 a month will get you something very suitable.

Plusnet (using the EE network so may need to unlock your phone) currently do:-

1GB data, 2000 minutes, 2000 texts, 30 day contract, £5.00 per month, https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 24th Jan 18, 1:21 AM
    • 2,963 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    trinidadone
    I am currently use:

1650 - 2400 minutes per month

50 text per month

800mb per month

I am considering plus net which has 1GB data, 2000 minutes, 2000 texts, 30 day contract, £5.00 per month, https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only

best deal, or something else better value out there?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 24th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I am currently use:

1650 - 2400 minutes per month

50 text per month

800mb per month

I am considering plus net which has 1GB data, 2000 minutes, 2000 texts, 30 day contract, £5.00 per month, https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only

best deal, or something else better value out there?
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    Considering that doesn't give you any leeway at all on your usage I'd make sure you reduce the spend cap to the minimum £2 if you take it. An advantage of the Plusnet 30 day model is if they offer a better deal at any time you can upgrade to it with no hassle. I'm on 1.5GB data, 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 30 day contract for £5.00 per month from them after changing tariff twice since joining them.
    • mchale
    • By mchale 24th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    mchale
    https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/3463c3bf6beae53da4a9ad737d8e33bc2dd8bbae?compariso n=bj1wbHVzbmV0JnM9bW9udGhseV9jb3N0JnA9L21vYmlsZXMv bmV0d29ya3MvcGx1c25ldC9zaW0tb25seS1kZWFscy8mcG89Mw ==&impression_id=7fbc3a1c-749f-428d-a10d-6cc0d7f42b4c
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,878Users online

Martin's Twitter