Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    • 1,154Posts
    • 461Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD) 4th Aug 13 at 9:30 PM
    Hello and welcome!

This is a post that contains the hottest sim only deals right now. It also contains a link to a spreadsheet with a full list of every networks best sim only deals with cashback rates updated every week. This is a great way to compare Sim Only deals between providers and get the best bang for buck.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE NEW WEBSITE AND SIM ONLY DEALS

The website can be bookmarked and viewed from any device at any time. The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom of the page for different types of deals, there is also an FAQ page. Please read it (FAQ also on second post of this thread)

Visit the HUKD thread for more:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/best-sim-only-deals-megathread-1623625

Apologies for any mistakes in the above post.

On August 4th 2013 i created a thread on HUKD and MSE that compiled a list of the best sim only deals in the UK from major and minor networks. The deal was received well on HUKD with over 65,000 views and 5,000 degrees of heat within the first 24 hours. One month on the thread has been viewed over 100,000 times

The thread was a continuation of HUKD member QyestionMarks sim only thread which he had started 18 months earlier and closed down at the end of June. He was happy for me to take over and create my own take on an ultimate sim only guide. This led to the creation of the ultimate sim only deal spreadsheet which a lot of you will have seen by now. Maybe even used.

The goal of the spreadsheet is to create a concise and up to date guide with all sim only deals from major and minor networks. The first page deals with 2G and 3G deals. It also filters in cashback into the deals, shows the best rates for international calls, includes a selection of recommended apps to save money and it has 2 honourable mentions of pay as you go deals that may be useful to those who don't want a sim only or who are low users.

My goal is to create an ultimate sim only guide that is maintained and up to data at all times and that anyone can open and view on any device at any time.

Please view the 2G/3G Sim Only deals here-
    CLICK HERE FOR SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Are you ready for 4G?
    Starting from September i've updated the sim only deals spreadsheet to include 4G Sim Only tariffs from EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three.

At the moment Vodafone offer the best 4G tariffs due to cashback of over £130 from both Quidco and TCB. Three offer the best 4G deals for data but their 4G network won't launch until December. The page also contains a handy FAQ as well as a section on 4G handsets and why 4G won't work on the iPhone 5 on O2 and Vodafone.

Feel free to have a look through the 4G Ready Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR 4G SIM ONLY TARIFFS

And now i've included the best data sim only deals. This is a list of all networks that provide data sims for your Dongle, Mi-Fi or iPad/Tablet. This is very useful for those who need data on the go in the form of mobile broadband and already have a mobile broadband device.

The deals include some little known deals from Ovivo and Samba who provide a virtually free data service.

Feel free to have a look through the Data Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR DATA SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Written 05/09/2013
    Last edited by ZhugeEX; 03-10-2015 at 8:33 PM. Reason: 1
Page 32
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Nov 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    £5 a month, 500mins 1.5Gb data, 1000text.
    https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

Its with Plusnet, its a monthly contract, so if you find something better, you can leave easily.
    Originally posted by boatman
    Or even upgrade on Plusnet when they put a better deal on.

I'm on £5 a month, 1000 mins 1.5Gb data, 1000 text with them by doing this.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north

Its with Plusnet, its a monthly contract, so if you find something better, you can leave easily.
    Best part is they have proper caps on call and data overspend... maybe some of the other networks will wake up and take note?
    • The weedie
    • By The weedie 12th Nov 17, 5:17 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    The weedie
    Two issues with EE, firstly their SIM only prices are often way over priced, they seem to succumb to existing customers haggling the price down on threatening to leave, not sure about price matching with new customers.

When I last enquired, the staff in a local EE shop didn't understand about call spending caps and avoiding "bill shock", so be careful if switching to EE. Sending text messages saying you are near your limit isn't guaranteed reliable and in any event might be too late. BT use the EE network, as a few others do, so look around.

For info, Three offer an "all or nothing" call spending cap. Data just stops when you reach your limit on Three too.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    You have to enable that cap on three as well it isn't on by default.

EE sim only plans are indeed more expensive you but you get a better service for it which imo is worth the extra - especially if you have a smart phone. EE and o2 are the only providers in the UK that allow you to have Visual voicemail (why this isn't on all networks is bloody annoying, but understandable as they don't have to upgrade their infrastructure and can keep prices down), Wi-fi calling and VoLTE.

Their 4G speeds are way quicker - I have three for work and EE for personal so regularly compare the two throughout the UK. This is backed up by OFCOM who report that EE is 50% faster than 3.

It's also worth noting that 3 is utterly dreadful for being aboard with their feel at home - borderline false advertising. Data is throttled to an extent where it is unusable whereas other providers don't. They don't even offer 4G speeds in the EU yet either which is ridiculous given the law changes past in recent months.

EE £26 for 22GB (unlimted everything else), o2 £20 for 20GB etc are all WAY better than the all you can eat 3 plan.

At the lower end <5gb of data plans are rip off for those two and their <1gb are ridiculously priced.

It really does depend on what you use your phone for.
    • DelboyMk2
    • By DelboyMk2 17th Nov 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DelboyMk2
    ID Mobile Sim Only
    I’m new at this, please excuse me if I get it all wrong. My wife and I changed to ID Sim only deal as it saved more than half what we were paying, but more importantly gave the ‘Take your package to the USA, use your phone as if you were still in the UK’ because we knew a holiday to the USA was coming up. In Memphis Tennessee now, can’t use our phones as it seems we get roaming charges, can’t contact ID because it would probably be to expensive to phone with waiting times, no live chat and no email address. Anyone got any suggestions??
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    I’m new at this, please excuse me if I get it all wrong. My wife and I changed to ID Sim only deal as it saved more than half what we were paying, but more importantly gave the ‘Take your package to the USA, use your phone as if you were still in the UK’ because we knew a holiday to the USA was coming up. In Memphis Tennessee now, can’t use our phones as it seems we get roaming charges, can’t contact ID because it would probably be to expensive to phone with waiting times, no live chat and no email address. Anyone got any suggestions??
    Originally posted by DelboyMk2
    If you have a “Takeaway” plan it only includes U.K. calls and doesn’t include anything outside of allowance. You cannot call around the US, and if your allowance is used up you revert to normal roaming costs.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/takeaway
    ====
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 18th Nov 17, 6:32 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    capital0ne

That's expensive!
    On TPO - The Peoples Operator £3.99/mnth 500mins, 1.5GB data unlimited texts and its 4G

No contract - leave when you like, piggybacks on EE
    • mersey
    • By mersey 19th Nov 17, 12:21 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    mersey
    Plusnet
    Was with Asda Mobile payg,they use EE.(sim).Now as I have a better phone I have gone with plusnet who also use EE.Plusnet are owned by bt but run as a separate company.Asda were great giving me the pac code on the phone and by text as soon as I requested it.3days for my old number to move to my new sim,Plusnet have uk call center and they were very friendly and efficient setting everything up.i managed to get 5 gig data unlimited calls and texts for £9 a month, monthly rolling contract not tied in.Very Pleased.
    • chrishorsfall
    • By chrishorsfall 22nd Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chrishorsfall
    On MSE today it lists the 12Gb data, unlimited calls and text SIM only deal with Three for £12 / month new customers.
    I called Three as a contract expired existing customer and they offered the same for £15 per month . . . . Doh. I said no thank you.
    My question to you all is concerning their next answer - that the £12 deal was a third party deal only valid via MSE and I would also be stuck with their terms and conditions and would most likely regret it!
    Is this true? Is the deal an MSE exclusive?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd Nov 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    On MSE today it lists the 12Gb data, unlimited calls and text SIM only deal with Three for £12 / month new customers.
    I called Three as a contract expired existing customer and they offered the same for £15 per month . . . . Doh. I said no thank you.
    My question to you all is concerning their next answer - that the £12 deal was a third party deal only valid via MSE and I would also be stuck with their terms and conditions and would most likely regret it!
    Originally posted by chrishorsfall
    It doesn't matter if it's exclusive to MSE or not, you've answered your own question as to why you can't get it surely?
    • d123
    • By d123 22nd Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    1. Call Three and ask them to convert your existing contract to PAYG.
    2. Buy the £12 deal via the MSE link.
    3. Complete the PAYG to contract form on the Three website.
    4. Stop complaining.

I’ll even give you a link to the form

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Pay_As_You_Go/Moving_to_a_contract
    ====
    • biggysmaller
    • By biggysmaller 22nd Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    biggysmaller
    It doesn't matter if it's exclusive to MSE or not, you've answered your own question as to why you can't get it surely?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    You do know that Asda Mobile are now doing a great deal - 12GB, unlimited calls and text for £10 on a contract free PAYG - This is one of the best deals out there right now. I am moving from my Three contract to ASDA next week.
    • d123
    • By d123 22nd Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    You do know that Asda Mobile are now doing a great deal - 12GB, unlimited calls and text for £10 on a contract free PAYG - This is one of the best deals out there right now. I am moving from my Three contract to ASDA next week.
    Originally posted by biggysmaller
    What’s the point?

What do you do after the 9th of January 2018?
    ====
    • biggysmaller
    • By biggysmaller 22nd Nov 17, 10:48 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    biggysmaller
    What’s the point?

What do you do after the 9th of January 2018?
    Originally posted by d123
    Oh, is the offer only for 2 months?...If so, that is rubbish! I thought that the deal was availlble to those who signed up before the 9th of January.
    • d123
    • By d123 22nd Nov 17, 11:13 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    Oh, is the offer only for 2 months?...If so, that is rubbish! I thought that the deal was availlble to those who signed up before the 9th of January.
    Originally posted by biggysmaller
    No, it’s a festive promotion, ASDA like to do these one off things.

You’ll get 800 minutes and 3GB for £12 from January.
    ====
    • veryniceday
    • By veryniceday 24th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    veryniceday
    Caught napping
    Hi all. Wondering whether you have any advice...

I have just realised to my horror that I have been paying EE £24.24 per month for 750 MB of data, 300 mins and 500 texts since my contract ended in August... wait for it... 2014!! (Busy with life and kids etc). For a comparable deal based on those allowances, on sim only which is what I should have switched to had I been less tired, eg Plusnet's £5 per month for 1.5 GB and 1000 minutes, I reckon I would have saved about £19 per month over 39 months. This equates to about £740 that I have unnecessarily overpaid in the last 3 years or so (please don't tell my wife)... It made me feel slightly sick when I realised, only 1 person to blame.

I have bought a new phone so need a sim only deal, the ASDA one looks best at the moment as was mentioned above 12 GB for the price of 2 GB for £10/month.

However, I noticed on hotdeals.co.uk that some people were talking about securing a sim only deal with EE which included 20GB/month for £11.99 in the last few days.

My point is, should I just cut my losses and go to ASDA, or should I push EE to see what they can do to 'make it up to me with a Sim only deal'? If the latter, does anyone have any good experience in 'how to play it'? Are there extras I should ask for (or demand) etc.

Any advice much appreciated, sorry for the ramble
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 24th Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    • 7,513 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Why would they have to "make" anything "up to you"? Contracts don't end - they continue unless you give notice or request and use a PAC. I appears that not only did you fail to do either but you didn't notice the direct debit going out for over 2 years after the minimum term.

It's an immensely expensive contract and you're likely to do far better by switching elsewhere. No harm in asking them, but it's 100% your own fault and most unlikely they'll offer you anything they wouldn't offer a different customer.
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 24-11-2017 at 3:12 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 24th Nov 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Hi all. Wondering whether you have any advice...

I have just realised to my horror that I have been paying EE £24.24 per month for 750 MB of data, 300 mins and 500 texts since my contract ended in August... wait for it... 2014!! (Busy with life and kids etc). For a comparable deal based on those allowances, on sim only which is what I should have switched to had I been less tired, eg Plusnet's £5 per month for 1.5 GB and 1000 minutes, I reckon I would have saved about £19 per month over 39 months. This equates to about £740 that I have unnecessarily overpaid in the last 3 years or so (please don't tell my wife)... It made me feel slightly sick when I realised, only 1 person to blame.

I have bought a new phone so need a sim only deal, the ASDA one looks best at the moment as was mentioned above 12 GB for the price of 2 GB for £10/month.

However, I noticed on hotdeals.co.uk that some people were talking about securing a sim only deal with EE which included 20GB/month for £11.99 in the last few days.

My point is, should I just cut my losses and go to ASDA, or should I push EE to see what they can do to 'make it up to me with a Sim only deal'? If the latter, does anyone have any good experience in 'how to play it'? Are there extras I should ask for (or demand) etc.

Any advice much appreciated, sorry for the ramble
    Originally posted by veryniceday
    As you now know (to your cost) your contract never 'ended', it merely continued as a rolling monthly contract. First port of call would be EE regardless to see if they can match other deals out there and if not to request your PAC.

The Asda deal you mention is only for a couple of months at that data limit, it then reduces to whatever it normally is (6GB?). Given you've been on 750MB a month for a few years presumably with no issues then looking at 20GB deals would be a further waste of money.

Edit: going off mobilejunkies post, were you actually using the contract at all? If not, WOW.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 24th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 17,483 Posts
    • 11,715 Thanks
    molerat
    EE are pretty good at matching other deals. Look around for what you want, get back to EE and tell them you are leaving and they will likely ask why and offer a match. MrsM told them she was leaving to go to the Plusnet £5 sim only and they gave her the £14.99 sim only, which was better than the Plusnet, for £4.99 a plus being she keeps wifi calling.
    Last edited by molerat; 24-11-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Sarah2018
    • By Sarah2018 26th Nov 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarah2018
    I found the £12 12GB Three deal via Bill Monitor website,which links through to Three and you buy it online (only accessible that way). I tried calling Three but they said the cheapest they could do 12GB for was £15 and that to get the £12 third party deal to buy online.

I've got my PAC code from Vodafone after failing to be offered a good deal and will switch to this Three one.
    • Sarah2018
    • By Sarah2018 26th Nov 17, 5:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarah2018
    After advice please. I've decided to leave my Vodafone SIM only contract and got my PAC code today, however my contract ends on 16th December 2017 so was advised to wait until then before switching. I'm planning to switch to Three's 12GB £12 deal seen on MSE website, but am worried it may end before the 16th Dec.

Q 1. Does anyone know if you can order a new SIM only deal now and choose a future date for the contract to start/activate? (ie. 17th Dec).
    Q2. I've got my PAC today (26th Nov) but does that mean 30 days notice has been given, so I'll end up paying for another month on my Vodafone contract (ie. for those extra 10 days after 16th Dec).

Apologies if this is a silly question, it's been a long time since I switched as Vodafone normally give me a better deal!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,197Posts Today

5,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin