Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    • 1,154Posts
    • 461Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD) 4th Aug 13 at 9:30 PM
    Hello and welcome!

This is a post that contains the hottest sim only deals right now. It also contains a link to a spreadsheet with a full list of every networks best sim only deals with cashback rates updated every week. This is a great way to compare Sim Only deals between providers and get the best bang for buck.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE NEW WEBSITE AND SIM ONLY DEALS

The website can be bookmarked and viewed from any device at any time. The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom of the page for different types of deals, there is also an FAQ page. Please read it (FAQ also on second post of this thread)

Visit the HUKD thread for more:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/best-sim-only-deals-megathread-1623625

Apologies for any mistakes in the above post.

On August 4th 2013 i created a thread on HUKD and MSE that compiled a list of the best sim only deals in the UK from major and minor networks. The deal was received well on HUKD with over 65,000 views and 5,000 degrees of heat within the first 24 hours. One month on the thread has been viewed over 100,000 times

The thread was a continuation of HUKD member QyestionMarks sim only thread which he had started 18 months earlier and closed down at the end of June. He was happy for me to take over and create my own take on an ultimate sim only guide. This led to the creation of the ultimate sim only deal spreadsheet which a lot of you will have seen by now. Maybe even used.

The goal of the spreadsheet is to create a concise and up to date guide with all sim only deals from major and minor networks. The first page deals with 2G and 3G deals. It also filters in cashback into the deals, shows the best rates for international calls, includes a selection of recommended apps to save money and it has 2 honourable mentions of pay as you go deals that may be useful to those who don't want a sim only or who are low users.

My goal is to create an ultimate sim only guide that is maintained and up to data at all times and that anyone can open and view on any device at any time.

Please view the 2G/3G Sim Only deals here-
    CLICK HERE FOR SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Are you ready for 4G?
    Starting from September i've updated the sim only deals spreadsheet to include 4G Sim Only tariffs from EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three.

At the moment Vodafone offer the best 4G tariffs due to cashback of over £130 from both Quidco and TCB. Three offer the best 4G deals for data but their 4G network won't launch until December. The page also contains a handy FAQ as well as a section on 4G handsets and why 4G won't work on the iPhone 5 on O2 and Vodafone.

Feel free to have a look through the 4G Ready Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR 4G SIM ONLY TARIFFS

And now i've included the best data sim only deals. This is a list of all networks that provide data sims for your Dongle, Mi-Fi or iPad/Tablet. This is very useful for those who need data on the go in the form of mobile broadband and already have a mobile broadband device.

The deals include some little known deals from Ovivo and Samba who provide a virtually free data service.

Feel free to have a look through the Data Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR DATA SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Written 05/09/2013
    Last edited by ZhugeEX; 03-10-2015 at 8:33 PM. Reason: 1
Page 31
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 30th Aug 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Three currently offer 30GB, unlimited mins and texts, for £18/month.
    • Kebabbandit
    • By Kebabbandit 30th Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kebabbandit
    30GB sounds alot, do you actually go through that each month??
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    A few years ago I used to get 16GB & that wasn't enough, so when I upgraded to the 30GB package, I noticed it was too much - But being the person I am, I'm sure as hell not wasting it.

I tether my phone to my bluray player & will stream 1 or 2 4K ultraHD programs, - That normally blitz's a few megabits.

The agents I've spoken to over the passed few days, when looking at me account, have been stunted when noticing how much data I go through

Three currently offer 30GB, unlimited mins and texts, for £18/month.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    I was looking at Three deals, I didn't notice that one - I like EE's speeds & it's always been reliable for me. I asked a guy a work about who's on Three a few questions & he didn't really give me a straight answer, plus we did a speed test & EE seemed to be the fastest.
    • biggysmaller
    • By biggysmaller 31st Aug 17, 10:27 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    biggysmaller
    I am currently on Three, I am on unlimited data, calls, and texts for £20.00 per month (I had a deal with them a while back!). However I have recently moved and there is little reception at my new place and the Three Intouch app is awful and very unreliable.

So I have asked for my PAC code (painful experience with Three!) and want to move. It has to be a EE based proivder.

How is EE as a provider - are their customer services good? Is there a late payment facility set up like there is with Three?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 31st Aug 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    How is EE as a provider - are their customer services good? Is there a late payment facility set up like there is with Three?
    Originally posted by biggysmaller
    Two issues with EE, firstly their SIM only prices are often way over priced, they seem to succumb to existing customers haggling the price down on threatening to leave, not sure about price matching with new customers.

When I last enquired, the staff in a local EE shop didn't understand about call spending caps and avoiding "bill shock", so be careful if switching to EE. Sending text messages saying you are near your limit isn't guaranteed reliable and in any event might be too late. BT use the EE network, as a few others do, so look around.

For info, Three offer an "all or nothing" call spending cap. Data just stops when you reach your limit on Three too.
    • Newusername1
    • By Newusername1 6th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Newusername1
    Three are offering an unlimited data, unlimited calls and texts for £25. This is the one Ive gone for as I'm massive on data as I don't have broadband. Introductory offer.
    • Newusername1
    • By Newusername1 6th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Newusername1
    I am currently on Three, I am on unlimited data, calls, and texts for £20.00 per month (I had a deal with them a while back!). However I have recently moved and there is little reception at my new place and the Three Intouch app is awful and very unreliable.

So I have asked for my PAC code (painful experience with Three!) and want to move. It has to be a EE based proivder.

Originally posted by biggysmaller
    I have only seen unlimited data package by Three offered for £25 so it sounds like you got a good deal.
    • Susan1942
    • By Susan1942 7th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Susan1942
    I am going to change my phone to Motorola GS. Advised to buy phone £149 from a few places including John Lewis with 2 year guarantee.
    I am with O2 Currently have 300 mb 300 minutes and unlimited texts O2 are
    £192 for phone but monthly cost with
    500 500 minutes and 500 texts at £18 unlimited text would push price £23.
    Can get a deal from Carphone Warehouse with unlimited texts for £18.
    Calculated over 24 months is £432
    I am concerned by SIM only and whether I should move to another provider to get a cheaper SIM only.
    I am concerned whether I would be able to transfer things on my Motorola 3rd generation to the new phone.
    Advice would be appreciated Sue
    • Murielson
    • By Murielson 20th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Murielson
    Just been on uSwitch and they have (uSwitch exclusive) SIM only deal with Plusnet (EE) as recommended deal (limited time offer) and this gives the following for £10 per month:

Unlimited minutes and texts
    5 GB data
    Roaming in 52 countries appears to be included

Deal link below:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/340d8f412814e8981f15069f5131048b11d0837e/
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 21st Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Just been on uSwitch and they have (uSwitch exclusive) SIM only deal with Plusnet (EE) as recommended deal (limited time offer) and this gives the following for £10 per month:

Unlimited minutes and texts
    5 GB data
    Roaming in 52 countries appears to be included

Deal link below:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim_only_deal/340d8f412814e8981f15069f5131048b11d0837e/
    Originally posted by Murielson
    Plusnet chop and change their deals online constantly so make you check their other deals to make sure you're getting the one that suits yourself (you can upgrade or downgrade at any time with Plusnet once a member) as it's a rolling monthly deal.

At the moment:

2000 minutes and unlimited texts
    4 GB data
    £9

or

1500 minutes and unlimited texts
    2.5 GB data
    £7

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only
    • ginnza
    • By ginnza 21st Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ginnza
    Flash sale now on at virgin mobile
    20GB data ,5000 mins and unlimited txt £16

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html
    • zermattbusby
    • By zermattbusby 22nd Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    zermattbusby
    BT (Customers)
    6GB
    U/L Calls - Texts
    £90.00 Amazon Gift Card
    £12.00 P/M

https://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/bt-mobile#4eH0dQ7SpFw:1
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 23rd Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Flash sale now on at virgin mobile
    20GB data ,5000 mins and unlimited txt £16
    Originally posted by ginnza
    For that price with 3 you get 30GB data (all of which you can tether) and unlimited mins and texts.
    If you can get the £70 TCB appear to be offering, this makes it £10.17 pm.
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 23-09-2017 at 4:41 PM.
    #JeSuisCharlie
    • averageguy11
    • By averageguy11 26th Sep 17, 10:06 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    averageguy11
    Whats virgin mobiles coverage like?

Ignore that....just stopped being lazy and checked EE
    Last edited by averageguy11; 26-09-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 26th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    craigr98
    Whats virgin mobiles coverage like?

Ignore that....just stopped being lazy and checked EE
    Originally posted by averageguy11
    I am with them, annoyingly they have stopped 30 day rolling contracts and gone for 12 months which I think is a shame.
    • averageguy11
    • By averageguy11 26th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    averageguy11
    Ah ..i am used to 12 month sim only deals....and mine with o2 is nearing its end....i see this offer from VM expires at the end of the week....firstly i'll be trying O2 to see what they can do for me
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 27th Sep 17, 1:24 AM
    • 1,474 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    I see MES has blagged a 12-month Sim from Three*!for £9/mth. Can I use it in an iphone4?
    I have a vodafone sim it it now and have noticed it sometimes says 3G
    So I guess I am asking " can I use a 4G sim in a 3G phone?"

Also, What is Tethering?
    GONE ENGLAND
    • d123
    • By d123 27th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 6,700 Posts
    • 4,270 Thanks
    d123
    I see MES has blagged a 12-month Sim from Three*!for £9/mth. Can I use it in an iphone4?
    Originally posted by dobbiesloan
    Yes

Also, What is Tethering?
    Connecting the phone to a laptop, tablet etc to use the data on the other device, also called Hotspot.
    ====
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 27th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Originally posted by dobbiesloan
    Depends if your phone is locked to Vodafone or not. You may have to get it unlocked by Vodafone first.
    • spaceship9876
    • By spaceship9876 6th Oct 17, 10:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spaceship9876
    The People's Operator have increased the price of their cheapest contract from £2.99/month to £7.99/month within the past few days. Holy moly! Wonder if they are going to go bankrupt soon, they just posted another loss a few days ago.
    • tain
    • By tain 18th Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    tain
    Does anyone know if the BT mobile £100 Amazon gift card thingy in today's email will work for two mobile contracts on the one broadband line? When I click the link to sign up my wife (I did mine earlier), it only lets me buy a family SIM deal, which is on exactly the same terms as mine, but might be explicitly so as to not allow the gift card bonus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,436Posts Today

9,308Users online

Martin's Twitter