Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    • 1,154Posts
    • 461Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD) 4th Aug 13 at 9:30 PM
    Hello and welcome!

This is a post that contains the hottest sim only deals right now. It also contains a link to a spreadsheet with a full list of every networks best sim only deals with cashback rates updated every week. This is a great way to compare Sim Only deals between providers and get the best bang for buck.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE NEW WEBSITE AND SIM ONLY DEALS

The website can be bookmarked and viewed from any device at any time. The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom of the page for different types of deals, there is also an FAQ page. Please read it (FAQ also on second post of this thread)

Visit the HUKD thread for more:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/best-sim-only-deals-megathread-1623625

Apologies for any mistakes in the above post.

On August 4th 2013 i created a thread on HUKD and MSE that compiled a list of the best sim only deals in the UK from major and minor networks. The deal was received well on HUKD with over 65,000 views and 5,000 degrees of heat within the first 24 hours. One month on the thread has been viewed over 100,000 times

The thread was a continuation of HUKD member QyestionMarks sim only thread which he had started 18 months earlier and closed down at the end of June. He was happy for me to take over and create my own take on an ultimate sim only guide. This led to the creation of the ultimate sim only deal spreadsheet which a lot of you will have seen by now. Maybe even used.

The goal of the spreadsheet is to create a concise and up to date guide with all sim only deals from major and minor networks. The first page deals with 2G and 3G deals. It also filters in cashback into the deals, shows the best rates for international calls, includes a selection of recommended apps to save money and it has 2 honourable mentions of pay as you go deals that may be useful to those who don't want a sim only or who are low users.

My goal is to create an ultimate sim only guide that is maintained and up to data at all times and that anyone can open and view on any device at any time.

Please view the 2G/3G Sim Only deals here-
    CLICK HERE FOR SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Are you ready for 4G?
    Starting from September i've updated the sim only deals spreadsheet to include 4G Sim Only tariffs from EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three.

At the moment Vodafone offer the best 4G tariffs due to cashback of over £130 from both Quidco and TCB. Three offer the best 4G deals for data but their 4G network won't launch until December. The page also contains a handy FAQ as well as a section on 4G handsets and why 4G won't work on the iPhone 5 on O2 and Vodafone.

Feel free to have a look through the 4G Ready Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR 4G SIM ONLY TARIFFS

And now i've included the best data sim only deals. This is a list of all networks that provide data sims for your Dongle, Mi-Fi or iPad/Tablet. This is very useful for those who need data on the go in the form of mobile broadband and already have a mobile broadband device.

The deals include some little known deals from Ovivo and Samba who provide a virtually free data service.

Feel free to have a look through the Data Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR DATA SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Written 05/09/2013
    Last edited by ZhugeEX; 03-10-2015 at 8:33 PM. Reason: 1
Page 29
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 20th May 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,174 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    bengalknights
    How do you get both Cashback and a gift card
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    You go through quidco/topcashback for the cashback and claim the GC direct from BT
    • john1002
    • By john1002 16th Jun 17, 11:49 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    john1002
    The terms on quidco say they won't pay out if you take up the gift card promotion.

John
    • Norman-B
    • By Norman-B 17th Jun 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Norman-B
    The terms on quidco say they won't pay out if you take up the gift card promotion.

John
    Originally posted by john1002

John,

I received £90 from Quidco and £125 from BT.

Norm
    • Stelmar
    • By Stelmar 28th Jun 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stelmar
    Best Sim for data only
    Hi can anyone advise what is the best data only sim which I can use in my iPad thanks in advance.
    • d123
    • By d123 28th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    Hi can anyone advise what is the best data only sim which I can use in my iPad thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Stelmar
    Every network does data sims, from tiny to massive allowances.

You'd need to say how much data you want and which networks are best in the areas you want to use it.
    ====
    • andylikesfish
    • By andylikesfish 29th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andylikesfish
    There is currently a good SIM only deal available from TPO and uSwtich for £3.99/month (1000 mins / 1000 texts / 1GB). However, this - and most other SIMS - are now 4G. I use a 'dumbphone' (a Nokia 130), which I don't think will work with a 4G SIM. Does anyone know if there is any way around this?
    • d123
    • By d123 29th Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    There is currently a good SIM only deal available from TPO and uSwtich for £3.99/month (1000 mins / 1000 texts / 1GB). However, this - and most other SIMS - are now 4G. I use a 'dumbphone' (a Nokia 130), which I don't think will work with a 4G SIM. Does anyone know if there is any way around this?
    Originally posted by andylikesfish
    The sim should work in the Nokia, a "4G sim" just means it's enabled for 4G (as most are these days), it can connect via 2G/3G/4G.

I've used a "4G sim" in a Nokia 6310i in the past...
    ====
    • derrick
    • By derrick 30th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 6,949 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    derrick
    Originally posted by andylikesfish

I had some TPO sims with original free credit using in a 2G Nokia, when they changed to 4G they would not transfer the credit to a new 4G sim, and as I use the mobile very infrequently I lost about £20 pounds worth of credit, only saving grace was that I had not paid for the credit, still a bit mean that they would not transfer the credit.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 4th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    trinidadone
    I have just signed up to three from TalkTalk. Unlimited Text, Unlimited Minutes, 4gb data 4g, £9.00 a month.

I was on 4000 minutes, unlimted text messages and 6gb data 3g for £11.25 a month with TalkTalk.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 5th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    trinidadone
    3 site does not show that price, where did you get it?
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    https://store.three.co.uk/view/content/mbasket?ID=1666

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-sim-only-contracts#midpick3
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    Quidco has £40 cash back on that plan as well.

https://www.quidco.com/three-sim-only-contracts/
    ====
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 6th Jul 17, 12:50 AM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    trinidadone
    MSE link works, but the as always the devil is in the detail and it put me off; there is no way I am putting up with a credit check and no way I am going to take this annual inflation rise BS, my current supplier has not increased my price in 10 years.

I do not want this grief with £5 to reset your data and not allowing tethering means they can forget it.

I was with 3 years ago, it was not a service driven company in my experience and seems nothing has changed.

I currently get 750m talk, 2gb data and unlimited texts and pay £10

I might use this offer to try and haggle to improve that.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    sorry the mse link did not work, i am sure if you look on the site regarding phones, your see the information you require. In regards to credit checks, most if not all mobile companies do the checks, they want to make sure they get their money for the next year, so unless you remain faithful with your current unknown company, then you may have to face this. in regard to the "grief" as you put it regarding the £5.00 reduction and the lack of tethering, firstly, im not too bothered with either of these, and it suits my needs, secondly, no one is asking you to join them, I simply posted where I moved to. if your happy with 750 minutes, then stay. Yes, as 3 are offering unlimited minutes, text and actually its 4.7gb then please do use this to help reduce your costings. I would of thought you should be paying much lower anyway, seems quite high, which properly explains why you have not received a line rental increase in years
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Copied from B_M's thread @ http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680677

Plusnet deals :-

1000 minutes
    1000 texts
    1.5gb 4g data

All for only £5 per month on a 30 day rolling contract

https://plus.net/mobile/deals/5/1-5gb/huk/jul17?

Or for an extra squid

2000 minutes
    1000 texts
    1.5gb 4g data

All for only £6 per month on a 30 day rolling contract

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only

Don't know about cashback.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 19-07-2017 at 5:20 PM.
    • Lingua
    • By Lingua 19th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Lingua
    Copied from B_M's thread @http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680677

Plusnet deals :-

1000 minutes
    1000 texts
    1.5gb 4g data

All for only £5 per month on a 30 day rolling contract

https://plus.net/mobile/deals/5/1-5gb/huk/jul17?

Or for an extra squid

2000 minutes
    1000 texts
    1.5gb 4g data

All for only £6 per month on a 30 day rolling contract

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only

Don't know about cashback.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/plusnet-mobile/

Apparently, all of £3

Still, every little helps, and that works on both the £5 and £6/mnth deals.
    Long-Term Goal: £14'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
    • Lingua
    • By Lingua 19th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Lingua
    In looking up the above, I found:
    3 1-Month SIM

8GB data, 600 minutes, unlim. texts, £13 for 1mnth contract.

TCB have a £15 cashback on that option, so ... they pay you £2?
    TopCashBack

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £14'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 20th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 4,174 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    bengalknights
    3 1-Month SIM

TopCashBack

Lingua
    Originally posted by Lingua
    As long as you give notice on day 1 to close account or port out then yes
    • d123
    • By d123 20th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    3 1-Month SIM

TopCashBack

Lingua
    Originally posted by Lingua
    As long as you give notice on day 1 to close account or port out then yes
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    I don't think so, the account has to be active for at least 90 days after activation for the cashback to be paid, so giving notice on day 1 would have the cashback declined.

From the above TopCashback link:

Cashback will be validated for active Three accounts after approximately 90 days.
    ====
    • AG47
    • By AG47 22nd Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    AG47
    Best sim only
    What the best sim only deals pleased
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 22nd Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Any idea what network u want?
    Phone locked ?

I like plusnet or virgin.

Cheap or lots of mins and data ?

It's almost like there should be a sticky for this
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 22nd Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Open a Topcashback account and get £45 cashback for the following, only £9 per month over 12 months total £108 for the year with £45 cashback meaning you only pay £63 for a 12 month contract,

Three Essential Plan.
    4GB data.
    All-You-Can-Eat minutes.
    All-You-Can-Eat texts.
    12 months contract length.

Not included:
    Personal Hotspot Allowance
    Feel At Home Around the World, but you can use it in the EU on your contract. Some providers will allow up to 12 GB when you are in the EU of data before charging extra but this contract is only 4 Gb so should be OK. Cannot be beat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

498Posts Today

2,892Users online

Martin's Twitter