Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    • 1,154Posts
    • 461Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD) 4th Aug 13 at 9:30 PM
    Hello and welcome!

This is a post that contains the hottest sim only deals right now. It also contains a link to a spreadsheet with a full list of every networks best sim only deals with cashback rates updated every week. This is a great way to compare Sim Only deals between providers and get the best bang for buck.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE NEW WEBSITE AND SIM ONLY DEALS

The website can be bookmarked and viewed from any device at any time. The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom of the page for different types of deals, there is also an FAQ page. Please read it (FAQ also on second post of this thread)

Visit the HUKD thread for more:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/best-sim-only-deals-megathread-1623625

Apologies for any mistakes in the above post.

On August 4th 2013 i created a thread on HUKD and MSE that compiled a list of the best sim only deals in the UK from major and minor networks. The deal was received well on HUKD with over 65,000 views and 5,000 degrees of heat within the first 24 hours. One month on the thread has been viewed over 100,000 times

The thread was a continuation of HUKD member QyestionMarks sim only thread which he had started 18 months earlier and closed down at the end of June. He was happy for me to take over and create my own take on an ultimate sim only guide. This led to the creation of the ultimate sim only deal spreadsheet which a lot of you will have seen by now. Maybe even used.

The goal of the spreadsheet is to create a concise and up to date guide with all sim only deals from major and minor networks. The first page deals with 2G and 3G deals. It also filters in cashback into the deals, shows the best rates for international calls, includes a selection of recommended apps to save money and it has 2 honourable mentions of pay as you go deals that may be useful to those who don't want a sim only or who are low users.

My goal is to create an ultimate sim only guide that is maintained and up to data at all times and that anyone can open and view on any device at any time.

Please view the 2G/3G Sim Only deals here-
    CLICK HERE FOR SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Are you ready for 4G?
    Starting from September i've updated the sim only deals spreadsheet to include 4G Sim Only tariffs from EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three.

At the moment Vodafone offer the best 4G tariffs due to cashback of over £130 from both Quidco and TCB. Three offer the best 4G deals for data but their 4G network won't launch until December. The page also contains a handy FAQ as well as a section on 4G handsets and why 4G won't work on the iPhone 5 on O2 and Vodafone.

Feel free to have a look through the 4G Ready Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR 4G SIM ONLY TARIFFS

And now i've included the best data sim only deals. This is a list of all networks that provide data sims for your Dongle, Mi-Fi or iPad/Tablet. This is very useful for those who need data on the go in the form of mobile broadband and already have a mobile broadband device.

The deals include some little known deals from Ovivo and Samba who provide a virtually free data service.

Feel free to have a look through the Data Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR DATA SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Written 05/09/2013
    Last edited by ZhugeEX; 03-10-2015 at 8:33 PM. Reason: 1
Page 23
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 16th Sep 16, 11:31 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    strawberries1
    Suggestions For PAYGS That Doesn't Expire Credit.
    I also I'm looking for a pay as you go sim that doesn't expire the credit after 30days.

I have a contract phone and wifi at home so I don't need data, calls or text. I just need it to receive calls and texts, I might use it to respond to texts sometimes but will probably use whatsapp via wifi at home.

Thank you.
    • J B
    • By J B 17th Sep 16, 12:44 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    J B
    I also I'm looking for a pay as you go sim that doesn't expire the credit after 30days.

I have a contract phone and wifi at home so I don't need data, calls or text. I just need it to receive calls and texts, I might use it to respond to texts sometimes but will probably use whatsapp via wifi at home.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by strawberries1
    I've had a Three PAYG sim here on my desk that is just used for incoming calls.
    It has never had any credit on it.
    We use it for receiving calls, that's all.
    It's been here for several years. Some say I'm lucky, but if it dies, then so be it.
    • jonny_power
    • By jonny_power 19th Sep 16, 3:15 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    jonny_power
    any reason why O2's sim only prices seem completely out of whack compared to EE/3/BT?

I've been on O2 for years and only bothered to look into upgrading my old partly-broke iPhone 5S that I've had on an O2 simplicity 30 day contract for the last year or so. Phoned up to cancel and to get my PAC and they didn't even really bother to try and keep me when I mentioned 3's much better prices and their decent Feel At Home service.

Also if you buy an iPhone 7 128GB direct from Apple it's £699, the 'pleasure' of buying outright with O2 will cost you an extra £81 (£780).
    • IGotRippedOff
    • By IGotRippedOff 30th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    IGotRippedOff
    any reason why O2's sim only prices seem completely out of whack compared to EE/3/BT?

I've been on O2 for years and only bothered to look into upgrading my old partly-broke iPhone 5S that I've had on an O2 simplicity 30 day contract for the last year or so. Phoned up to cancel and to get my PAC and they didn't even really bother to try and keep me when I mentioned 3's much better prices and their decent Feel At Home service.

Also if you buy an iPhone 7 128GB direct from Apple it's £699, the 'pleasure' of buying outright with O2 will cost you an extra £81 (£780).
    Originally posted by jonny_power
    02 deals are crap, charging way too much compared to others. I requested a PAC code, and retention's tried to keep me in, but they couldn't as they offered sh** deals.

I see that a lot of the Virtual Networks do good deals, but I guess the catch is they are on a lower tier from their provider.
    • Norman-B
    • By Norman-B 12th Oct 16, 7:16 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Norman-B
    I have two Sim only with Vodafone for my wife and self. Both cost me £8 each for 600 mins, UL text and 1 GB of Data (plus an extra 1GB as a promotion offer on renewal last March).
    I contacted Vodafone last Friday about adding another Sim only for my grandson. I pay TalkTalk £5.50 per month for that Sim and they offered me 1700 mins, UL text and 4 GB to renew for next 12 months. I'm not interested in staying with them as they are unable/unwilling to Cap and my grandson has exceeded his allowances nearly every month!
    So on Friday, I spoke with Vodafone/Michael in Belfast and he offered me
    UL Mins and Text and 4GB of Data for £11 PM and the first 4 months FREE! As I had my other grandchildren just walk in the door, I asked him to call me later, which he promised and a time was arranged for midday Monday.
    So Monday and Tuesday came and went, no call from nice young Michael!! So I contacted Vodafone this afternoon and after speaking to 3 depts, I ended up chatting to a lovely girl in 'Save' dept. She informed me that there was no way that I should have been offered that deal by Michael and the best she could offer was, UL Mins and Text and 4 GB of Data for £10 PM with no free month or any other extra (ie Spotify etc) and as I was into my contract she offered me the same on a new 12 month deal.

Moral of the story, I should have bitten Michael's off on Friday!

Am I getting a decent deal at £10 per month for the above from Vodafone?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Count your blessings. "Michael" promised you one thing; with Vodafone you'd have almost certainly ended up tied in with something much worse.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 13th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    Pound
    I asked O2 for an upgrade to my plan which was done. I also had a text saying a SIM was going to be delivered.

Since the new tariff has already been applied can I use both SIMs for the same account?
    Last edited by Pound; 13-10-2016 at 7:53 PM.

• d123
    • By d123 13th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    I asked O2 for an upgrade to my plan which was done. I also had a text saying a SIM was going to be delivered.

Since the new tariff has already been applied can I use both SIMs for the same account?
    Originally posted by Pound
    The old sim will deactivate once the new sim is active, you can't have 2 sims with the same number, no.
    Dave
    ====
    • twistedone
    • By twistedone 16th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    twistedone
    Beware cheep sim only deels! Freedompop
    Hade an offer of free contract & mins,texts/and 500mb,sounds good! but on looking further into it, the terms and condition's is your contract in an other language, they send you a simm of your choice (3 to pick from) £0.99 activation fee on a recurring pay ment plan so you have to give them your card number for the ongoing payments first.in dispute there word is final (company is in America so who's laws apply) so if you receive an e-mail from FREEDOMPOP please look closely at its small print. PS IT ALSO STATES WHILE IN USE YOU CANT SAY NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THEM.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 16th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Actually they often offer sims with absolutely no set-up charges (I have two of those) and you can stop the automatic payments easily enough. Maybe you have to suss things out to know whether they are free or not. Mine most definitely have been, though I use them very little.
    • adpeace
    • By adpeace 18th Oct 16, 2:07 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adpeace
    In case it's useful to anyone, it appears EE are currently matching the £9/month Three offer in retentions. I was a T-Mobile customer, prepared to move to Three to get that deal, spoke to EE and asked for PAC, and was immediately given a matching offer for 12 months. With the EE deal, it will go up after 12 months so renegotiation will be required, but I did have a preference for staying with them anyway so pleased with that overall.
    • asset2004
    • By asset2004 18th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 17,496 Thanks
    asset2004
    Looking for a cashback deal, either sim only or if possible with phone included, but needs to work out very cheap or free.
    Got an offer 2 years ago and worked out free over the 2 years, but can no longer find this offer.
    Got one for a family member last month for 2 years, works out at 50p/mpnth and went to get it for another family member and since discover it too has gone.
    Surely there must be some decent offers about?? Not too bothered with large quantities of minutes or data.
    TIA
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 19th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    The lowest I've seen on the comparison sites I use works out at £1.50 after cashback. Up to last week the 50p deal was still around with a basic phone. Re3cently I came across a free sim only, but with a very limited package - 100 mins.
    • asset2004
    • By asset2004 19th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 17,496 Thanks
    asset2004
    The lowest I've seen on the comparison sites I use works out at £1.50 after cashback. Up to last week the 50p deal was still around with a basic phone. Re3cently I came across a free sim only, but with a very limited package - 100 mins.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    yes saw the 50p one was still around, 2 days later when I went back to order it it was gone!
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 19th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Lesson 1. IF you know what you're doing and see a deal like that get it and worry about it late; never try to time it too near the end of an existing contract. Unless you're like me - where I always like to make a decent guaranteed profit on every contract and already have more contracts than networks or dealers normally allow, of course.

I haven't checked to see if the free deal is still around, which might suit you if what you said about your needs is accurate. The 50p deal never appeared on the comparison websites I watch every day, even though it was around for weeks (at least). It may come back - or better, which is when I grab mine.
    • patchman
    • By patchman 23rd Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    patchman
    In case it's useful to anyone, it appears EE are currently matching the £9/month Three offer in retentions. I was a T-Mobile customer, prepared to move to Three to get that deal, spoke to EE and asked for PAC, and was immediately given a matching offer for 12 months. With the EE deal, it will go up after 12 months so renegotiation will be required, but I did have a preference for staying with them anyway so pleased with that overall.
    Originally posted by adpeace
    My 2 x EE SIM only contracts were ending next week so I rang EE yesterday, went straight through to retentions and was offered the same deal for 8.99/month no problem at all.
    • juliafreitaslove
    • By juliafreitaslove 26th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    juliafreitaslove
    Well! I have analyzed the whole list from the link ZhugeEX, and going to make some facts that will make user easier to understand and to decide what deal they should go for.

As of minutes Virgin offering the best deal
    As of Data Package 3 Sim Deals offering best packages
    Virgin Sim Deals are leading in the Total Contract Cost
    • eludlow
    • By eludlow 28th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eludlow
    Moving to SIM only
    Hi all. Hope this post is permitted, if not please say and I will remove.

I'm going to move onto an iPhone sim only deal (using the Apple upgrade program).

Requirements are:
    minimum 2GB data
    low number of minutes (averaging <100 mins per month over last six months)
    low number of SMSs (average <100 SMS per month over last six months)
    have to be able to tether
    decent roaming deals
    Visual voicemail would be nice

I've been a long time EE / T-mob customer (15+ years) so am going to go and talk to them and see what they can do, but their deals look expensive.

Three look v promising but concerned about tether (and lack of visual VM is annoying).

Any other points / suggestions? Many thanks.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 28th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Welcome; your post is exactly what this forum is about. I'm sure others will be able to answer it.
    • blueincubus
    • By blueincubus 1st Nov 16, 1:04 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    blueincubus
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could comment on data speeds with Lycamobile please? I'm currently with GiffGaff and their 4g speed is dire, for decent signal at home I need to be on O2 - and Lycamobile look very cheap at 4gb data on 4g for £15 per month on a 1 month contract. Thanks for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter