Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > Britannia Parking Notice: Confused, ignore or POP... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Britannia Parking Notice: Confused, ignore or POPLA?
Views: 505
# 1
NotYourStar
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Britannia Parking Notice: Confused, ignore or POPLA?

Hi all,

This evening I received a PCN from Brittania Parking, for being "parked in a restricted area". I was parked in a car park, not within a marked bay, but not on any lines that signified parking was not allowed and not blocking any entrances or exits or any other cars. No payment was needed as I had registered my details with the bingo hall my friends and I were at.
I'm just writing this as I'm a little confused. I've had a PCN in the past from another company and ignored it thanks to advice here, and they did eventually leave me alone. Problem is, I've been reading about this new thing that's come in in October 2012 about Popla appeals and I'm not sure what to do? Do I ignore or do I appeal?

Technically, I was in the wrong as I wasn't in a marked bay....but my car fit in the space without blocking anything or getting in the way of anybody, so I was causing no harm by being parked there. There were no markings on the ground stating parking wasn't allowed there.

Anyone have any advice please? I'm useless at appealing against anything and getting a little worried
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Guys Dad
Old 02-08-2013, 7:03 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Do nothing till you get a Notice to Keeper. If you get one, do a simple apply appeal stating you were a customer and you parked without any obstruction in an authorised place and demand photographic evidence.

If car park was full, say that too. Ask them to cancel ticket or send you a POPLA code.

You will probably get a refusal but then we hit them with other points at that point.

In parallel see if the bingo hall can do anything.
# 3
Coupon-mad
Old 12-08-2013, 1:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYourStar View Post
Hi all,

This evening I received a PCN from Brittania Parking, for being "parked in a restricted area". I was parked in a car park, not within a marked bay, but not on any lines that signified parking was not allowed and not blocking any entrances or exits or any other cars. No payment was needed as I had registered my details with the bingo hall my friends and I were at.
I'm just writing this as I'm a little confused. I've had a PCN in the past from another company and ignored it thanks to advice here, and they did eventually leave me alone. Problem is, I've been reading about this new thing that's come in in October 2012 about Popla appeals and I'm not sure what to do? Do I ignore or do I appeal?

Technically, I was in the wrong as I wasn't in a marked bay....but my car fit in the space without blocking anything or getting in the way of anybody, so I was causing no harm by being parked there. There were no markings on the ground stating parking wasn't allowed there.

Anyone have any advice please? I'm useless at appealing against anything and getting a little worried

When you get the postal Notice to Keeper, as Guy's Dad says, (NOT BEFORE) send a challenge to that letter (not mentioning the actual PCN nor the driver nor what happened). Here are some examples:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...38357&posted=1

But usually a strong complaint to the retailers/managers on site, showing that you were a genuine customer, can get these fake PCNs cancelled. And Britannia are as tame as you get and should cancel fairly easily IMHO.

If they don't, post back when you get a POPLA code and in the meantime I urge you to read other threads about POPLA appeals (loads and loads from page 1 backwards have links to POPLA appeal wording!). And read the 'POPLA appeals' success sticky thread at the top of the forum, mainly reading the most recent updates on wins and what the adjudicators said. This will NOT be a short appeal at POPLA stage about mitigating circumstances or 'what happened' (you'd lose if you did that!) so read up on it while waiting, if the bingo hall are useless when you assertively complain about this harassment.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
# 4
NotYourStar
Old 11-09-2013, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Notice to keeper arrived this morning so now where do i go?
# 5
Hovite
Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

You appeal using the PPC's process. Use the link Coupon Mad has posted for examples.
# 6
NotYourStar
Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ok. They have attached an appeal form, so shall I fill that out too? Also have sent me photos of my car that clearly shows no hashed markings or signs saying I can't park there!
# 7
Hovite
Old 11-09-2013, 12:33 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Personally I prefer to use electronic ways of appealing because it's free but you'll need to read what they've sent you to see what ways of appealing are offered. If you do send the form then make sure you get free proof of postage.

The photos are worthless.
# 8
NotYourStar
Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

They've said they accept this form attached to an email so I will do that
I was hoping the photos would work in my favour showing I'm not actually blocking anything or in any restricted area?
# 9
Guys Dad
Old 11-09-2013, 1:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 5,576 Times in 3,499 Posts

Make sure you get an acknowledgement as well and if not, send a copy by surface mail with a cert. of posting.

Your appeal point should state that the area where you parked had no restriction notices or lines and that their signage on parking in marked bays was deficient.
# 10
Coupon-mad
Old 11-09-2013, 2:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 36,585 Times in 15,421 Posts

Quote:
Notice to keeper arrived this morning so now where do i go?
Corrected that to a smiley grinning face for you...because this is where you will win if you word it right!

Quote:
They've said they accept this form attached to an email so I will do that
I was hoping the photos would work in my favour showing I'm not actually blocking anything or in any restricted area?

Yep but that's not how you word a winning POPLA appeal. You could include the photos but it would be one point of many. Check the linked thread below:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...80281&posted=1

HTH
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 11-09-2013 at 2:37 PM.