Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soupdragon10
    • By soupdragon10 30th Jul 13, 10:45 PM
    • 908Posts
    • 3,316Thanks
    soupdragon10
    peugeot partner vs berlingo or kangoo?
    • 30th Jul 13, 10:45 PM
    peugeot partner vs berlingo or kangoo? 30th Jul 13 at 10:45 PM
    I am considering purchasing one of the above and wondered which was the best option running cost wise. I specifically want one of these both for the space and the higher driving position (plus more space for my disabled husband).

Also advice on which are the best diesel models.
Page 1
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 31st Jul 13, 12:57 AM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    • 31st Jul 13, 12:57 AM
    • 31st Jul 13, 12:57 AM
    I am considering purchasing one of the above and wondered which was the best option running cost wise. I specifically want one of these both for the space and the higher driving position (plus more space for my disabled husband).

Originally posted by soupdragon10
    Personally I would try and find a non French alternative, due to reliability problems.
    • GolfBravo
    • By GolfBravo 31st Jul 13, 10:10 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    GolfBravo
    • 31st Jul 13, 10:10 AM
    • 31st Jul 13, 10:10 AM
    Personally I would try and find a non French alternative, due to reliability problems.
    Originally posted by Jamie Carter
    Yes. Get a Mercedes Citan instead.

It's German.

The only "non-French" alternatives are Fiat Doblo (assembled in Turkey, also sold as Opel/Vauxhall) and VW Caddy (assembled in Poland).
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
    • jase1
    • By jase1 31st Jul 13, 10:36 AM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    jase1
    • 31st Jul 13, 10:36 AM
    • 31st Jul 13, 10:36 AM
    Please, pleeeeeease don't drive it on the motorway if you get one.

These things are the bane of my life. Usually that vile metallic green and stuck in the right hand lane at 58mph for mile after mile of the 2-lane A1M.
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 31st Jul 13, 12:08 PM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    • 31st Jul 13, 12:08 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 12:08 PM
    Yes. Get a Mercedes Citan instead.

It's German.
    Originally posted by GolfBravo
    Yeah right. It's a Citroen with a Mercedes badge. I think Mercedes have really let themselves down on this one.

The only "non-French" alternatives are Fiat Doblo (assembled in Turkey, also sold as Opel/Vauxhall) and VW Caddy (assembled in Poland).
    Or possibly the Ford Fusion
    • flea72
    • By flea72 31st Jul 13, 1:28 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    flea72
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:28 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:28 PM
    Why diesel, do you do very high mileage?

I have a berlingo 1.6 petrol. Love the car. Dont know about reliability problems mentioned by JamieCarter, mines 10yrs old and sailed through MOT yesterday and havent had an major problems with it. Just general wear and tear stuff

Had a merc vaneo prior to that, biggest pile of c*#p, so that would put me off the citan personally
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 31st Jul 13, 1:33 PM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:33 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:33 PM
    Why diesel, do you do very high mileage?

I have a berlingo 1.6 petrol. Love the car. Dont know about reliability problems mentioned by JamieCarter, mines 10yrs old and sailed through MOT yesterday and havent had an major problems with it. Just general wear and tear stuff

Had a merc vaneo prior to that, biggest pile of c*#p, so that would put me off the citan personally
    Originally posted by flea72
    The Citan is a Citroen Berlingo
    • tedted
    • By tedted 31st Jul 13, 1:35 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    tedted
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:35 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:35 PM
    i think you will find it is a renault kangoo
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 31st Jul 13, 1:43 PM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:43 PM
    • 31st Jul 13, 1:43 PM
    i think you will find it is a renault kangoo
    Originally posted by tedted
    Not according to a senior manager at Mercedes UK headquarters, who was discussing it with me whilst looking at one, even before they were released in this country. And he actually agreed with me, that it was a big mistake to use the Citroen.

I know Autocar said that it was Kangoo based. So either Autocar or Mercedes senior management, don't have a clue.
    Last edited by Jamie Carter; 31-07-2013 at 1:46 PM.
    • jase1
    • By jase1 31st Jul 13, 1:50 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    jase1
    Not according to a senior manager at Mercedes UK headquarters, who was discussing it with me whilst looking at one, even before they were released in this country. And he actually agreed with me, that it was a big mistake to use the Citroen.

I know Autocar said that it was Kangoo based. So either Autocar or Mercedes senior management, don't have a clue.
    It's definitely the Renault.
    • GolfBravo
    • By GolfBravo 31st Jul 13, 2:12 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    GolfBravo
    Not according to a senior manager at Mercedes UK headquarters, who was discussing it with me whilst looking at one..
    OMG, is that what he said? And he's a senior manager there?

Just look at the photo in the post above, and the photo below.

Look at the logo on the bonnet.

Mercedes are using Renault's cars, engines and components, not PSA's.
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 31st Jul 13, 2:26 PM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    OMG, is that what he said? And he's a senior manager there?

Just look at the photo in the post above, and the photo below.

Look at the logo on the bonnet.

Mercedes are using Renault's cars, engines and components, not PSA's.
    That is interesting. I think a certain Mercedes manager is in for some serious pi## taking.

I have been looking at some photos, and trying to compare all three cars from the same angle. Especially things like wheel arches, and fuel filler locations. But all three seem to be different.

Anyway, Renault are also French, so I still wouldn't buy a Kangoo, Berlingo, or a Citan.

EDIT:
    It seems you are right, and the Mercedes manager was wrong: http://fleetworld.co.uk/news/2012/Feb/Mercedes-Benz-Citan-hopes-to-rival-Berlingo-and-Caddy-in-European-fleet-market-/0434004747/

One of the fruits of a joint venture between Renault and Daimler, Mercedes-Benz’s parent, Citan is based on a Kangoo platform, uses Renault diesel engines but has a significant Mercedes content. It includes a completely-restyled front,with a different grille, bumper, bonnet anddifferent headlamps, and a cab interior that is unique to the Three Pointed Star.
    'The seats, steering and suspension tuning are all pure Mercedes,' said worldwide head of Mercedes-Benz’s van operation,Volker Mornhinweg. @PREVIEWEND@
    It seems that all manufacturers are teaming together when it comes to vans. The Renault Traffic, the Vauxhall Vivaro, and the Nissan whatever are all made at IBC in Luton. The Mercedes Sprinter and the VW Crafter are made in the same factory. The Citroen Relay, the Peugot whatever, and the Fiat whatever are all made in the Iveco factory in Italy. And now Mercedes and Renault are teaming up to build the Kangoo and Citan. It's all a bit incestuous.
    Last edited by Jamie Carter; 31-07-2013 at 2:36 PM.
  • smashingyour...
    Yeah right. It's a Citroen with a Mercedes badge. I think Mercedes have really let themselves down on this one.

Wrong again Carter
    • jase1
    • By jase1 31st Jul 13, 3:09 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    jase1
    Wrong again Carter
    Originally posted by smashingyour...
    In fairness, Renault... Citroen... meh, they're all much of a muchness

Especially when it comes to vans -- white goods does anyone honestly care what they're driving when they're in a van?
  • Bradfield

Originally posted by soupdragon10
    I spent some time looking at these type of vehicles for the reasons that you mention.

I took a P.Partner out for a test drive and found the controls hard to handle. It had been used as a taxi so maybe the clutch and gears had taken some punishment.

Later I spotted a Vauxhall Agila outside a garage with over a 100k on the clock for a just over a grand. It is great for space and has high driving position. Economical to run and starts first time every time. Very easy to handle.
    • GolfBravo
    • By GolfBravo 31st Jul 13, 3:16 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    GolfBravo
    ... a Vauxhall Agila ... Economical to run and starts first time every time. Very easy to handle.
    Originally posted by Bradfield
    Because it's a Suzuki with Vauxhall badges.
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 31st Jul 13, 4:49 PM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    In fairness, Renault... Citroen... meh, they're all much of a muchness

Especially when it comes to vans -- white goods does anyone honestly care what they're driving when they're in a van?
    Originally posted by jase1
    They do when it's the car version, which is what the OP is after.
    • jase1
    • By jase1 31st Jul 13, 5:14 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    jase1
    They do when it's the car version, which is what the OP is after.
    Do they?

I have to say that the Citroen Berlingo MPV is the very definition of a car as a white good.

Forget all the slightly 'bland' Japanese cars, these designs are utilitarian, and do a job of work only.

It is completely impossible to get enthused in any way, shape or form by one for anything other than practical reasons.
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 31st Jul 13, 5:19 PM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    Do they?

I have to say that the Citroen Berlingo MPV is the very definition of a car as a white good.

Forget all the slightly 'bland' Japanese cars, these designs are utilitarian, and do a job of work only.

It is completely impossible to get enthused in any way, shape or form by one for anything other than practical reasons.
    Originally posted by jase1
    It is a car version, and not a van:
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=citroen+berlingo+mpv&qpvt=citroen+berling o+mpv&FORM=IGRE
    • jase1
    • By jase1 31st Jul 13, 5:23 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    jase1
    I said car!

I know what they are (evil things) -- I drove one once.

It's a van with windows and seats. It handles, drives and is about as refined as, a Berlingo van.

If you need the versatility of a part-time van, part-time MPV, they're fantastic. But you'd hardly buy one with your heart.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

8,289Users online

Martin's Twitter