Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 539
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 23rd Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    111KAB
    Jkhen - no claim as you arrived back at the correct airport within the 3 hour threshold period.
    • srikanthrv
    • By srikanthrv 25th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    srikanthrv
    No compensation for aircraft damage ?
    My flight was delayed for more than 4 hours. When i tried to claim compensation they said "was delayed because of aircraft damage which wasnít caused by us, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled."

When i read the MSE forums and FAQs there was no mention of this flight damage. So I want to know if this is a valid reason for compensation or not?
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 25th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    111KAB
    My flight was delayed for more than 4 hours. When i tried to claim compensation they said "was delayed because of aircraft damage which wasn’t caused by us, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled."

When i read the MSE forums and FAQs there was no mention of this flight damage. So I want to know if this is a valid reason for compensation or not?
    Originally posted by srikanthrv

No not a valid reason to deny legitimate compensation more a fob off or indeed outright lie. Report airline to the CAA and request CAA consider withholding their licence to operate. In the meantime tell them to Foxtrot Oscar and future posts should be on relevant airline thread please.
    • EGL467
    • By EGL467 25th Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EGL467
    Ryanair Flight Cancelled- Arrived earlier than scheduled flight but different airport
    Hello

My flight to Bordeaux was cancelled by Ryanair. I then took a flight to Toulouse which landed 2 hours earlier than the scheduled flight to Bordeaux. I am wondering if I can still claim compensation as my arrival at my final destination was still more than 3 hours later than expected as I had to arrange travel from Toulouse.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 25th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hello

My flight to Bordeaux was cancelled by Ryanair. I then took a flight to Toulouse which landed 2 hours earlier than the scheduled flight to Bordeaux. I am wondering if I can still claim compensation as my arrival at my final destination was still more than 3 hours later than expected as I had to arrange travel from Toulouse.
    Originally posted by EGL467
    Hi EGL467,

Probably.

How much notice did RA give you prior to the cancellation?

Have RA agreed to pay your onward costs to travel from Toulouse to Bordeaux?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Becciboo1981
    • By Becciboo1981 27th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Becciboo1981
    Unpaid Compensation
    Had a delayed flight coming back to Stansted from Zante in August. Complained via their online form which was easy enough. Got an email fairly quickly back saying I was entitled to compensation and they'd initiated a BACS payment of £1500 into my account and I should receive it within 10 days. The 10 days came and went so I rang and they said that had been a mistake and it should have said 28 days. I was annoyed but thought ok. Now 28 days has come and gone, I've rung again and they aren't in the least bit bothered. They tell me there is nothing wrong on their end, we've checked the a/c number and sort code and that's right and just to wait. Does this mean they have an infinite amount of time to pay me? Not sure what my next step is? Any help would be appreciated.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 27th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    Caz3121
    you don't mention the airline but there is likely a thread for that airline. If you read the last few pages of the thread you should get an idea if this is typical and how long others have waited, what they did etc
    • darylcarter58
    • By darylcarter58 30th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darylcarter58
    Help need to know where i stand
    Hi we were due to fly to Orlando on Saturday 9th September but due to hurricaine irma i could see our flight would get cancelled so on the Thursday 7th i rang the airline (Norweigen) to re arrange the flights for September the 14th, They did this free of charge. On Friday 8th September Norweigen cancelled the original flight which i new was coming! I have travel insurance with American Express and they said earlier in that week that i was covered with the hurricaine. Im wondering if i am able to claim back some money from my TRAVEL insurance not the airline as i had to re arrange my hotel and it cost us about £500 more to do this am i covered for a cancelled flight? i have american express silver cover if any one is familiar and under what code would i claim. Thanks for any help really apprieciated.
    • RUTHIEC
    • By RUTHIEC 4th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    RUTHIEC
    Thomson Holiday - Freebird Flight
    Hi we booked our holiday with Thomson and paid Thomson but they changed our flight to Freebird which is a Turkish based airline. The flight home was delayed over 5 hours and Thomson say it's not their issue we have to take it up with Freebird. Surely if we paid Thomson our contract was with them? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 4th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Hi we booked our holiday with Thomson and paid Thomson but they changed our flight to Freebird which is a Turkish based airline. The flight home was delayed over 5 hours and Thomson say it's not their issue we have to take it up with Freebird. Surely if we paid Thomson our contract was with them? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by RUTHIEC
    It's the operating carrier that is responsible, so what Thomson are telling you is correct. It makes no difference who your contract is with.
    • RUTHIEC
    • By RUTHIEC 4th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    RUTHIEC
    Thanks for your reply. So does that mean we would be wasting our time trying to claim the compensation since they are not EU based?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 4th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Thanks for your reply. So does that mean we would be wasting our time trying to claim the compensation since they are not EU based?
    Originally posted by RUTHIEC
    It depends whether your affected flight was departing from an EU airport or not. If an EU airport you can still submit a claim, if a non-EU airport there is no EU261 coverage
    • caffsean
    • By caffsean 4th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    caffsean
    Hello,

Have you received your payment yet? We're in the same boat - they've agreed to pay us compensation for a delay from Orlando to Stansted by not actually paid it yet.

Can anyone give some advice is there is a time limit by when they have to pay it by and can you escalate an issue like this to someone?

Thank you.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 4th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    legal magpie

Can anyone give some advice is there is a time limit by when they have to pay it by and can you escalate an issue like this to someon.
    Originally posted by caffsean
    The longer you give them the longer they'll take.
    • suzetommo
    • By suzetommo 5th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    suzetommo
    I was delayed 4 hr 34 with ASL France 2/9/17, I have used their online claim form and submitted the letter they handed me when I got off the aircraft which states they are responsible for delay. I still haven't heard back from them, what can I do now? I submitted the claim 3/9/17
    • twinkle007
    • By twinkle007 6th Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    twinkle007
    2 hours 59 minutes delay!
    Hi

I wondered if anyone could advise which sources airlines use to determine length of delay please?

I flew with Easyjet on EZY1923 on 24/09/17 from MAN to Malaga. Our flight took off over 3.5 hours late and landed at 14:00. Our scheduled arrival time was 11:00. Different websites give different landing times.

Thanks in anticipation
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 6th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi

I wondered if anyone could advise which sources airlines use to determine length of delay please?

I flew with Easyjet on EZY1923 on 24/09/17 from MAN to Malaga. Our flight took off over 3.5 hours late and landed at 14:00. Our scheduled arrival time was 11:00. Different websites give different landing times.

Thanks in anticipation
    Originally posted by twinkle007
    Hi twinkle007,

Hope I get better luck than you as I am on the same flight in a few days time.

I've looked at the arrival time and it's too close to call but it looks like you may have a claim. There is only one way to get an accurate time for doors open, which is the time that counts. Taxiing to the gate normally takes 4 or 5 minutes and then a couple more till the airbridge is positioned to the door. Only then can the door be opened and the delay clock then stops.

The way forward would be to make a claim via EJ and then await their refusal, at which point you can ask for it to be referred to CEDR. They can ask EJ for a copy of the flight log with the door opening time. You could ask them for that time when making your claim and it should be supplied.

P.S
    Last time I used that flight I was also delayed by over two hours.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 06-10-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • jetsetgem
    • By jetsetgem 8th Oct 17, 12:29 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    jetsetgem
    Advice needed ......
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice on eligibility for compensation and without prejudice please.

The facts are:

Departed 50 mins late from Cancun, Captain cited that there was not enough fuel on board and we were having to refuel on the runway before take off.
    Passenger became ill and the plane was diverted to a different airport, unfortunately passenger passed away on landing.
    We were then informed by Captain that the flight needed further diversion to another airport due to crew exceeding hours.Also advised plane had refuelled.
    Landed at another airport and were given very limited information and told to take minimal belongings off the plane, we were put into an airport gate lounge and hot drinks and sandwiches were provided this was for approx 3hrs 15 mins.
    On the plane we were told the crew had been put on a flight to where we were as there was no crew nearby.
    Flight landed at Gatwick at 3pm - 7 and half hours later than planned

I appreciate that the passenger falling ill on board was very unfortunate and somewhat out of anyone's control. Would we be eligible for compensation based on the delays regarding change over of crew and the plane not having been fuelled appropriately before originally boarding?

Thanks for all advice in advance.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 8th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice on eligibility for compensation and without prejudice please.

The facts are:

Departed 50 mins late from Cancun, Captain cited that there was not enough fuel on board and we were having to refuel on the runway before take off.
    Passenger became ill and the plane was diverted to a different airport, unfortunately passenger passed away on landing.
    We were then informed by Captain that the flight needed further diversion to another airport due to crew exceeding hours.Also advised plane had refuelled.
    Landed at another airport and were given very limited information and told to take minimal belongings off the plane, we were put into an airport gate lounge and hot drinks and sandwiches were provided this was for approx 3hrs 15 mins.
    On the plane we were told the crew had been put on a flight to where we were as there was no crew nearby.
    Flight landed at Gatwick at 3pm - 7 and half hours later than planned

I appreciate that the passenger falling ill on board was very unfortunate and somewhat out of anyone's control. Would we be eligible for compensation based on the delays regarding change over of crew and the plane not having been fuelled appropriately before originally boarding?

Thanks for all advice in advance.
    Originally posted by jetsetgem
    Was it an EU airline? If not compensation wouldn't apply irrespective of the reason. The original delay was 50 mins and it sounds like the rest was caused by the knock on effect from the very unfortunate passenger that died. The passenger being taken ill was obviously completely out of the airlines control.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 8th Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi jetsetgem,

There are two issues here which combined to cause the delay, your initial delay for fuel, which seems to have delayed the flight by 50 minutes.

Followed by the unfortunate incident of the PAX becoming ill. It is generally regarded that illnesses or death, which cause a diversion and, therefore, a delay are 'Extraordinary Circumstances' (EC's) beyond the control of the airline. In that case no compensation is due. This appears to have caused the vast majority of your delay.

You need to apportion how much of the delay would be considered as an EC and how much is none EC. If the none EC time comes to more than 3 hours you have a claim, provided you were on an EU airline.

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin