Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 537
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 28th Aug 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    The runway was closed causing a lot of delays, diversions and cancelllations and EU261 compensation isn't due for extraordinary circumstances.

Instead of approaching the airline for delay compensation which was never going to be applicable you should have tried approaching the tour operator about compensation for the lost day. You could always try that now.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 28th Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 10,847 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    also worth checking your travel insurance delay section, there is often a token amount there...eg £20 for each 12 hour delay or similar..
    • Kernowanya
    • By Kernowanya 28th Aug 17, 7:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kernowanya
    Hi
    Our flight last night was cancelled from berlin S to Luton. Easyjet were as helpful as a chocolate fireguard and just handed out leaflets. No Explanation, no compassion...the response was tough you will have to find your own way back. Admittedly they did put people up in a hotel, but there were many of us who needed to get back. We tried to get on the next fight (no flights available tis thursday!!!!!!!) So me & my OH booked ourself onto a BA flight from another berlin airport to heathrow.
    I know we can claim back the flight cost as we were told that last night, but can I get the cost of the hotel we were meant to stay in in Luton last night, which we missed due to being stranded?
    Twas a fun night!
    • akf1006
    • By akf1006 30th Aug 17, 7:56 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    akf1006
    I was delayed recently >24 hours flying from Larnaca to Manchester, due to 'something' hitting the aircrafts engine when landing. This is obviously due to procedures not being followed as the airstrip should be clear of debris at all times. We weren't given any food or drink at all until we were transferred to a hotel and that was 5-6 hours after we should have taken off! I have raised a claim with Thomson around three weeks ago using the resolver tool and heard nothing since. How long should I wait before escalating?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 30th Aug 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I was delayed recently >24 hours flying from Larnaca to Manchester, due to 'something' hitting the aircrafts engine when landing. This is obviously due to procedures not being followed as the airstrip should be clear of debris at all times. We weren't given any food or drink at all until we were transferred to a hotel and that was 5-6 hours after we should have taken off! I have raised a claim with Thomson around three weeks ago using the resolver tool and heard nothing since. How long should I wait before escalating?
    Originally posted by akf1006
    Hi akf1006,

I would escalate now, they have had time to reply.

If that 'something' hitting the aircraft was a bird, then it will be considered as an 'extraordinary circumstance' and no compensation will be due.

However, you are due a 'duty of care' so if you bought anything to eat or drink while you were waiting you can claim that back along with relevant receipts.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Lynthejock
    • By Lynthejock 30th Aug 17, 4:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lynthejock
    Having now sought advise from this brilliant forum I have got my letter all ready to send to the airline seeking compensation for flight delay of 5hrs and 55 mins. Try to find address of ASL Airlines France online and only French address so go to Thompson who my mum and dad dealt with for the flight and subsequent cruise following the flight. They only have email address so I send my letter off through email and it bounces back. I get in touch with Thompson so they try and it also bounces back. Thompson say theres nothing we can do. Eh?? They are dealing with an airline company they cant get in touch with. Anyone have any UK addresses or emails for ASL airlines france. It is part of the ASL group based in Ireland.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 30th Aug 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    They're a French airline so not surprising their contact address is in France. They are part of the ASL Aviation Group, but the French airline is a separate airline to the Irish one so no good contacting them. ASL France have got a claims form on their website.
    • scolston
    • By scolston 6th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scolston
    Iberia Airlines....
    I am in exactly the same position. I used the Resolver tool (very good!) and the Spanish regulator eventually found in my favour but Iberia will not acknowledge it. How do I get them to pay? There are no 'Claims' companies able to take it on (no jurisdiction or similar) so I do not know what to do next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I see that another forum member used the services of a lawyer in Spain but costs could not be recovered.

Thanks.
    Last edited by scolston; 06-09-2017 at 8:21 AM.
    • scolston
    • By scolston 6th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scolston
    Iberia Airlines....
    Iberia is not listed on the 'Flight Delay Compensation' / 'Make a claim' list so I am letting you know as suggested.

Unable to post a link, sorry.

Thanks.
    Last edited by scolston; 06-09-2017 at 2:29 PM.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 6th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 10,847 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    How do I get them to pay?
    Originally posted by scolston
    court probably - have a read of "Vauban's Guide"
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 6th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,638 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    111KAB
    I am in exactly the same position. I used the Resolver tool (very good!) and the Spanish regulator eventually found in my favour but Iberia will not acknowledge it. How do I get them to pay? There are no 'Claims' companies able to take it on (no jurisdiction or similar) so I do not know what to do next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I see that another forum member used the services of a lawyer in Spain but costs could not be recovered.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by scolston
    http://www.retrasos.net/contacto/

BUT....watch their costs ~ better to do yourself.
    • FieldingMellish
    • By FieldingMellish 6th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FieldingMellish
    Short Distance but Long Delay?
    I understand that the amounts you can claim for a delayed or cancelled flight are determined by flight distance (and cancellation notice period), but what happens when there is a long delay? I just came back from Hamburg to Manhcester (UK), which is a light distance of less than 1500 km. We were told that our flight had been cancelled around half an hour before boarding - we were in the departures lounge at the time. EasyJet would only provide us with replacement flights 48 hours after our original flight - so we were stuck at Hamburg airport for two days! Do the EU directives take account of how long you were delayed?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 6th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    JPears
    No. 4 hours or 48 hours, same compe. However, 48 hours is unreasonable, so you could have requested rerouting with Ej but different route. They probably wouldn't have done either. You can request a refund on your unused ticket, make your own arrangements and reclaim the difference from EJ. I bet they didn't give you that in written or verbal notice? All assuming the cancellation was not an EC.
    I presume EJ found and paid for your accommodation and meals over those 48 hours?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • foxpro
    • By foxpro 6th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    foxpro
    Successful claim with scant proof
    For a long time I was seeing advice from MSE to claim for flight delays, but had virtually no evidence that I was on the flight, back in 2012. So I didn't think I had a chance. The flight was BA from Heathrow to JFK and met the maximum distance for claims and the delay was 12 hours due to an engine fault.The flight departed on time and traveled almost to the half way point before u-turning to return to Heathrow. BA gave us £10 vouchers each at the airport while we waited for a replacement aircraft.
    Cutting a long story short I only had a brief itinerary from the original booking that was relating mainly to the included cruise from NY with only a couple of lines stating the flight number and arrival/destination airports and a separate email copy confirmation for extra baggage purchase.
    I recently decided to use the claim template here and sent what I had. By the 14 days deadline I heard nothing and thought they were ignoring me. After a further 2 weeks I received a letter from BA apologising for the delay in responding and also apologising for the original flight delay. They informed me that I would be receiving the full amount (600 euros) for me and my wife and a cheque for 1200 euros would follow shortly.
    I decided to post this for anyone who may also think they have 'insufficient' evidence.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 6th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    • Helenabaker1
    • By Helenabaker1 6th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helenabaker1
    Thomas cook
    We flew from Birmingham to dalaman on 29th July, with Thomas cook, had a 5 and half hour delay, no explanation as to why there was a delay. The next day I filled in a complaint form direct with Thomas cook, two weeks later we got £1095 back in compensation.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 6th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    How many of you were there
    • Johnharry
    • By Johnharry 6th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnharry
    Adverse weather conditions
    If the weather conditions delay your flight for more than a day is there an argument for compensation?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 6th Sep 17, 9:07 PM
    • 10,847 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    If the weather conditions delay your flight for more than a day is there an argument for compensation?
    Originally posted by Johnharry
    weather delays are extraordinary circumstances so no compensation payable. However, the airline will need to provide Duty of Care for the duration of the delay
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 6th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Aced2016
    Wondering if anyone can help. Booked a package holiday through BA from Edinburgh to New York. Flight had a BA number etc however was AA plane. I was delayed over 3.5 hours last week due to maintenance. Can I claim from BA ? And does anyone know how much, Google seems to have so much different information !

Thankyou
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,657Users online

Martin's Twitter