Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 511
    • ebabe001
    • By ebabe001 13th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ebabe001
    Update on this. Easyjet are about a month late with payment, CEDR continued to chase and today I received an email from EasyJet requesting bank details.

Our flight was delayed by 4 hours. We were offered 2 lots of drinks vouchers and were told that bad weather had caused a delay much earlier that day.

We emailed Easyjet to see if we were able to claim compensation. Easyjet sent a number of responses but finally admitted there was a delay. They would not accept compensation was due giving the reason of extraordinary circumstance due to the weather issue.

I contacted the CAA who told me about CEDR. CEDR ruled in our favour. Poor weather on a previous flight which in turn affects your flight cannot be classed as an extraordinary circumstance.

Don't be put off by the airlines' first response.
    Originally posted by ebabe001
    • afranz
    • By afranz 14th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    afranz
    Hi forum,

Recently I was on a flight from Inverness-Gatwick that was delayed by 3hrs3mins. I applied for the delay repay under EU Regulation (250 euro for myself and my partner) using the standard Easy Jet repayment form.
    At first Easy Jet were extremely responsive, replying to my emails within hours, each time telling me that the flight report had not been updated and to come back 7 days later for an update. After the 4th email back to them (and about 2.5 months since the flight), all of a sudden they stopped replying.
    I am an advocate using to Twitter to reach brands, and so took to the Tweets (@'ing the Civil Aviation Authority in my tweets), and over the course of some DM's with Easy Jet they have confirmed liability for the delay. They asked that I resend the claim form (which I did instantly, including things like my bank details etc.).
    In the automated reply to this form they claim they will respond within 7 working days. We're now on day 8 of my second claim and they've completed ignored me again. They are also now ignoring me on twitter too.
    Each time I Tweet I receive replies from companies who claim they will help me sort the claim, but I suspect they will probably be after a cut of the compensation. What can I do now? I am essentially hitting a brick wall, and don't really want to give a cut of the compensation to a private company when I've already got confirmation from Easy Jet regarding their liability, in writing.
    It seems like their trying to smoke me out by completing ignoring me. Is there anything from a legal standpoint that says they have to compensate within a given time period after claiming liability?

I am guessing that I am not alone in this battle, and there were several people on the same flight as me who were keen to apply for compensation for the delay too.

Thanks!
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 14th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Download and read Vaubans Guide. Follow the advice and send a letter before action to them. All explained in the guide
    • Mary Byrne
    • By Mary Byrne 14th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mary Byrne
    Our flight was delayed taking off due to fog Dublin to Dubai so we missed connection to Sydney.Then the rescheduled flight was cancelled due to technical issues with plane . Would we be due compensation for the flight that was cancelled?
    • Bellamaria1234
    • By Bellamaria1234 15th Mar 17, 6:05 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bellamaria1234
    Good Morning,
    I filed a case for my flight delay just over a month ago via the Resolver page.
    I have a case number but have not had a reply yet from the airline.
    how long do I wait and what Is the next step.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 15th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    Vauban
    Good Morning,
    I filed a case for my flight delay just over a month ago via the Resolver page.
    I have a case number but have not had a reply yet from the airline.
    how long do I wait and what Is the next step.
    Originally posted by Bellamaria1234
    Resolver is just a letter writing tool, with a contacts database. The airline is no more obliged to respond to it than they would be to a letter from you directly. I've never used Resolver but people's experience of it seems to be a bit mixed: some airlines engage with it, others don't. Who were you flying with?

I think Resolver allows you to "escalate" your complaint after a while if it remains unresolved, but there's no guarantee that this will elicit a response - and a lot of airlines don't seem to be in a hurry to reply.

The only thing that is guaranteed to get their attention is if you start a court claim - which they cannot ignore. Alternatively, you could see if they are members of an arbitration scheme which might be quicker.
    • mthappy0
    • By mthappy0 16th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mthappy0
    Each passenger is entitled to claim separately, if required, so it doesn't matter who the lead passenger was.

Your claim will have to meet certain criteria to qualify tho, as Leyland says. Please read Vaubans guide to get the full sp.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Hi yes I have read the guide but I cannot see anything for claiming for a passenger who has now died. Also do I need to get each passenger to claim separately or can I claim on my son, daughter and wife's behalf?

Many thanks
    • Tilla Tech
    • By Tilla Tech 16th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tilla Tech
    Two weeks notice of cancellation
    Hi
    If British Airways told travel agents 16 days before flight of cancellation but travel agent tells us on 13th day before flight about cancellation.
    Can compensation be claimed?
    Thanks
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 17,537 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    Hi
    If British Airways told travel agents 16 days before flight of cancellation but travel agent tells us on 13th day before flight about cancellation.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Tilla Tech
    Not from BA.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 16th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Hi
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Tilla Tech
    The airline gave 16 days notice to the people that booked and paid for the flights. It's not BAs fault if those people delayed telling their customer. Better to book direct and then the airline have direct contact with you, rather than you relying on a middleman to relay information.
    • SJP123
    • By SJP123 17th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJP123
    Hi all,

I recently booked a flight from Manchester to Perth (aus) which had a stop over in Dubai. The flight from Dubai to Perth was delayed by 15 hours.

Emirates are stating that I am not entitled to compensation under EU law as the delay occurred between Dubai and Perth. Am I right in think that because I booked a journey from Manchester to Perth, and not as two separate flights that I am indeed entitled to claim under EU law?

Many thanks for anyone that can help,
    Sam
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 17th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi all,

I recently booked a flight from Manchester to Perth (aus) which had a stop over in Dubai. The flight from Dubai to Perth was delayed by 15 hours.

Emirates are stating that I am not entitled to compensation under EU law as the delay occurred between Dubai and Perth. Am I right in think that because I booked a journey from Manchester to Perth, and not as two separate flights that I am indeed entitled to claim under EU law?

Many thanks for anyone that can help,
    Sam
    Originally posted by SJP123
    Yes you are!

However, this has been a very disputed and vexed question, so far as Emirates and various others are concerned.

The CAA are in the process of taking Emirates to task over this very question, so I would keep your powder dry for the moment and await the outcome of the CAA action.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Billy Bonkers
    • By Billy Bonkers 17th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Billy Bonkers
    More about that here: http://www.caa.co.uk/News/Five-major-airlines-face-enforcement-action-for-denying-passengers-compensation-for-delayed-flights/

and here: http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/emirates-slams-uk-s-caa-action-over-flight-delay-compensation-1.1984202
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 17th Mar 17, 5:53 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    Vauban
    Am I right in think that because I booked a journey from Manchester to Perth, and not as two separate flights that I am indeed entitled to claim under EU law?
    Originally posted by SJP123
    Yes you are! ... The CAA are in the process of taking Emirates to task over this very question, so I would keep your powder dry for the moment and await the outcome of the CAA action.
    I don't think so. There needs to have been a least a short delay in the first (EU) leg - that's the professional consensus and also where the CAA are focusing. If the delay occurs entirely on the second non-EU leg, I don't think there's a claim under 261/04.
    • peadar
    • By peadar 17th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    peadar
    My Ryanair flight was cancelled due to a baggage handlers' strike in Berlin.

Ryanair say that no monetary compensation is due under EU Regulation 261/2004 because the cancellation was "unexpected and therefore outside Ryanair’s control".

Do baggage handlers work for the airport? So airlines have no responsibility for industrial relations?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 17th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I don't think so. There needs to have been a least a short delay in the first (EU) leg - that's the professional consensus and also where the CAA are focusing. If the delay occurs entirely on the second non-EU leg, I don't think there's a claim under 261/04.
    Originally posted by Vauban

Thats interesting. I believed that it was the delay at the final destination that counted, regardless of where that delay occurred.

What would happen in the case of a very short departure delay, say it was only 5 minutes or so?

What is the EC's view on the official departure time, when the final door closes? That would all help to complicate things, so would we need a ruling on that too! it's quite complicated.

I guess it will all become clear once the CAA have done their job.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 17th Mar 17, 10:16 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    Vauban
    Thats interesting. I believed that it was the delay at the final destination that counted, regardless of where that delay occurred.

What would happen in the case of a very short departure delay, say it was only 5 minutes or so?

What is the EC's view on the official departure time, when the final door closes? That would all help to complicate things, so would we need a ruling on that too! it's quite complicated.

I guess it will all become clear once the CAA have done their job.
    Agreed.

The CAA though do seem focused on this point:

“The airlines confirmed to the CAA they do not pay compensation to passengers who had experienced a delay on the first leg of a flight that cause them to miss a connecting flight and, as a result, to arrive at their final destination over three hours late. The airlines’ refusal to pay compensation in these instances fails to meet the legal passenger rights requirements for flight disruption.”
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 17th Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 8,291 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Delayed earlier in the year out of Miami ,or rather we offered to be bumped off an over bookedd flight, BA gaves us $800 each plus hotel and 3 meals , and next day they put us in business lounge as we were hoping to be bumped again lol. Last week delayed out of italy due to tech fault on Ryanair , sent a claim through resolver ,yesterday they emailed to confirm they were sending us a cheque for £680 ish .Think i will take it up as a career lol
    Last edited by pelirocco; 17-03-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • JoannaP
    • By JoannaP 20th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JoannaP
    Am I entitled to compensation if I had stopovers in non-EU countries?
    Hello,

I recently traveled from LHR to USM but had short stopovers at 2 airports. My first flight from LHR - AUH was delayed by around 2 hours due to the plane getting into LHR late. When we arrived at AUH we then found out that our flight from AUH to BKK was delayed by around 2 hours, we ended up missing our connecting flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui because of the delays and they weren't able to put us on another flight for another 6 -7 hours. All in all we missed a whole day of our holiday due to the delays, we were meant to arrive in Koh Samui at 9am and didn't arrive until 5:30pm..

I wrote to Etihad airways as this was the flight provider and they have responded saying that we are only entitled to 5,000 air miles for the flight from LHR to AUH because the rest of our flights did not depart from an EU airport despite the fact that we ended up missing a whole day of holiday. We were given a food voucher at Bangkok airport but the restaurants would not accept the voucher and we couldn't find anyone to help us so we ended up having to pay for the food at Bangkok airport ourselves.

Is this correct or should we be entitled to compensation for the full journey despite the stop overs? The full journey was booked on one ticket so I assumed that this would count for something.

Advice appreciated

Thanks,

Jo
    • Gertie100
    • By Gertie100 20th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gertie100
    Easyjet / CEDR timeframe
    Afternoon all

Our Easyjet flight was cancelled on the 12th March @ 9pm because of bird strike at Basel airport and we were rescheduled to fly the following afternoon. Eventually landed at Bristol 3.30pm 13th March.
    We have filed a compensation claim with Easyjet which has been declined so now want to appeal. I thought we had to use the CEDR system but it won't let me appeal because it;s been less than 8 weeks from date of complaint.

Should I be appealing back to Easyjet?

Thanks all
    G
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,204Users online

Martin's Twitter