Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 497
    • nyck
    • By nyck 7th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    nyck
    Claimng Via CDER £25 fee
    Our claim was turned down by easyjet , so going to the next step to claim via CDER
    Theres a £25 fee if you lose ,is that per a person or per a booking
    There were 6 people on our booking
    thanks
    • Beemerblue
    • By Beemerblue 7th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beemerblue
    B.A system crash
    Hi does anyone know if BA's computer glitch on 6th Sept 16 is being held liable for delayed compensation. I sent my claim a few days later and received the generic reply email but not heard anything since, I sent a further email asking how long for a reply and nothing heard since.
    • DrA_Harrogate
    • By DrA_Harrogate 7th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    DrA_Harrogate
    I'm thinking that those delayed by said glitch will be likely to qualify depending on individual circs of course. Read Vauban's Guide (google), come to an opinion as to whether you qualify, possibly check whether a nwnf company would take you on via their websites, then fire off an NBA letter to BA.
    • gordon_harris
    • By gordon_harris 7th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    gordon_harris
    Hi Gordon,

It's definitely worth pursuing as their excuse is not an EC.

You could involve the Danish regulator or you may be able to use the ESCP, see the link to the good Dr's guide on the Ryanair thread.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Many thanks, I've formally notified the Danish regulator so I'll keep the thread updated with any responses as I think it will be useful for others to know how Norwegian handle these cases.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 7th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    Vauban
    Many thanks, I've formally notified the Danish regulator so I'll keep the thread updated with any responses as I think it will be useful for others to know how Norwegian handle these cases.
    Originally posted by gordon_harris
    That would be good. I fear that "notifying" the Danish NEB is little better than writing a note to the tooth-fairy. But I look forward to being proved wrong!
    I used to link to my guide - but MSE stopped such malfeasance. I may not have my link (you can still google it) but I retain a magnificent hat!
    • Dudalbugs
    • By Dudalbugs 9th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dudalbugs
    Small Planet
    Wanderer 71

Did you claim via Small Planet's website and receive an email in reply like this:

Dear Passenger,

We confirm that we have received your claim, which was registered in our system and will be investigated as soon as possible.

Your registration number is SPA-CAO-XXXX.

We would like to draw your attention to the fact that the claim will be initiated only after consideration of all relevant documents, which have been asked to submit during the claim filing process. Therefore, if you have not added some documents or do not have access to do so at the moment, make sure that they would be delivered as soon as possible via e-mail claims@smallplanet.aero, indicating your registration number in the Subject field.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via e-mail claims@smallplanet.aero. Please do not forget to indicate your registration number the Subject field.

Thank you for choosing Small Planet Airlines for your holidays!

If you did I suggest you reply to the email enclosing all the information they require again even if you have already sent it to them. Dont forget the registration number as the subject.
    Good luck
    • DrA_Harrogate
    • By DrA_Harrogate 9th Oct 16, 6:04 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    DrA_Harrogate
    Jet2 news item
    I see Jet2 are still flying, or rather not flying, old aircraft that break down....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-37576217
    • ChrisChrisH
    • By ChrisChrisH 9th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChrisChrisH
    Had a 5 1/2 hour delay with Easyjet, for a 1 1/4 hour flight to Jersey (2 passengers). Claimed via Resolver on 22nd September, and received a cheque for £431 from Easyjet on 6th October! Thanks for the help, it was much less painful than I expected.
    • Alec B
    • By Alec B 10th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alec B
    Does it constitute 'extraordinary circumstances' if bad weather early in the delay causes some air traffic delays which leave a crew short of hours late in the day, the airline do not get in a reserve crew and the last flight is cancelled ?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 10th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Does it constitute 'extraordinary circumstances' if bad weather early in the delay causes some air traffic delays which leave a crew short of hours late in the day, the airline do not get in a reserve crew and the last flight is cancelled ?
    Originally posted by Alec B
    put your flight details into the free checkers EUClaim and Bottonline, you will then see whether the NWNF firms think there is a valid claim or not
    • nimetcalfe
    • By nimetcalfe 12th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nimetcalfe
    Hi,

does anyone have any update on the EU birdstrike ruling?
    I have recently returned from Mallorca and was delayed by over 12 hours, bird strike was the reason given for the delay, even though some ground staff referenced "technical issues" and not a bird strike. no record of a birdstrike on any of the aviation reporting websites either (I accept that those are not fully accurate).
    the airline in question was Condor (booked via Thomas cook) on the 6th October.
    I have noted that TC have paid out claims in the past over birdstikes in small claims courts and I have noted the EU Advocate ruling from July - is there anything official?

many thanks
    • Alec B
    • By Alec B 13th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alec B
    Many thanks. Useful. Seems these sites agree with airline that knock-on effects of bad weather on crew hours are special circumstances and that airlines don't have to have backup crews !
    • Ash_H21
    • By Ash_H21 16th Oct 16, 5:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ash_H21
    British Airways Interesting Response?
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could offer some help to a very confused person regarding some possible compensation for a flight delay.

My wife and I recently traveled to Johannesburg from Heathrow with BA. I was notified by text of a flight delay of ten hours on the morning of our departure (about 7 hours before we were due to fly), meaning that we would have missed our connecting flight in J'burg. Rang BA and was helpfully moved to an alternative flight Heathrow > Madrid > Johannesburg, which arrived in with only two and a half hours delay. Unfortunately, as a result of the delay, we had to run to catch our connecting flight on to Maun airport and our hold luggage didn't make it. We were joining a safari, so were unable to wait for the two days our luggage took to arrive in Maun airport. We were eventually re-united with our luggage after paying to have it couriered out to us and all was good.

On the return flight from Johannesburg to Heathrow we found out that we were recorded on the flight, but had no seats allocated as a result of over-booking. We had booked the tickets for the flight over ten months ago, so I was quite surprised to find this out.

Unfortunately my wife found this an extremely stressful situation (to the point of tears) as she had an interview for a job opportunity that had arisen whilst we were abroad scheduled for the day we were due to land - not ideal.

The BA staff were unable to offer us anything concrete and just kept repeating, 'I'm sure you'll be on the flight'. We did not get assigned a seat until arriving at the gate prior to departure and were then forced to sit separately, which further added to my wife's anxiety as she is not a fantastic flyer and gets quite travel sick.

Anyway, long story short - I wrote to BA, who admitted multiple failures in their standards, but denied any compensation as we did not match the criteria.

From reading the table in the Flight Delay Compensation section on MSE it would appear that for a flight of that length and delay we may be allowed E300 each, but I was wondering if I am reading this incorrectly?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 16th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    legal magpie
    On the given facts, the delay was less than 3 hours so no compensation under the EU regs

BUT IMHO you should pursue a complaint against them anyway under common law for breach of contract to include distress. If they still refuse to pay anything at all, you could issue a small claims case. Nuisance value might persuade them to pay something as might a sympathetic judge if you got one.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 16th Oct 16, 5:22 PM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    Caz3121
    which arrived in with only two and a half hours delay.
    Originally posted by Ash_H21
    the confusion may be due to there being 2 different criteria
    For delays the €300 would be due if you arrived between 3 and 4 hours late
    If your flight had been cancelled then it is different and the €300 may have been due
    Your flight was delayed but you voluntarily chose to be rerouted (I assume at no cost to yourself) so I don't believe compensation is due
    • EnisaP200
    • By EnisaP200 18th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EnisaP200
    Flight delay Norwegian airlines
    I was delayed by 5 hours back in September, all of that time was spent waiting on the aircraft at the side of the runway. The first 3 hours of the delay was due to bad weather at the destination therefore we were waiting on the go ahead to take off. When we were about to take off someone on the flight who was drunk fell ill which delayed us by a further 2 hours as we had to pull back into the terminal to allow paramedics on the plane who eventually took the ill person off the flight.
    I know that bad weather does not count as the airlines fault but what about the ill person on the plane? would this mean I could claim compensation?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 9,975 Posts
    • 6,526 Thanks
    Caz3121
    the non-weather element would need to be over 3 hours to qualify
    • richardw
    • By richardw 23rd Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 17,133 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    My flight was cancelled at the airport about half an hour before departure, I've now received €250 compensation, but I'm not happy that they did not re-route us at the earliest opportunity and failed to perform their obligations under Article 8.
    I suppose 'earliest opportunity' is a bit subjective, but they just didn't have enough staff at the airport to sort the chaos in a reasonable time.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 23rd Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Richard, we need more. Were you actually rerouted? Details please
    • richardw
    • By richardw 23rd Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 17,133 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    No, after 3.25 hours from the time of cancellation we sorted ourselves out and then claimed a refund. There was no offer of re-routing at the earliest opportunity. The aircraft was a 230 seat 'sardine' A321 and the queues at the airport were very very long and slow moving.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,742Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter