Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 494
    • richardw
    • By richardw 14th Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    • 16,934 Posts
    • 6,804 Thanks
    richardw
    Opodo aren't an 'air carrier' so EU261 2004 doesn't apply to them.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • malid
    • By malid 15th Sep 16, 8:57 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    malid
    Any views on post 9856 re Aer Lingus please?

Cheers
    Don't let them grind you down; fight for your rights
    • Kangear
    • By Kangear 16th Sep 16, 9:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kangear
    I would just like to let people know that through this site we have been successful in claiming our money back for a cancelled flight from Alicante, Spain. They first tried to only pay for our additional costs which included taxi and food in the airport the following morning from another airport. Stick to your guns and donīt give up as they did eventually pay 250 per person in compensation for the cancelled flights as the situation was within their control that caused the cancellation. Before coming to this site I was going to use a flight compensation site but after reading the terms and conditions I realised they take 25% of the money as their fee. Good luck
    • JohnMcA
    • By JohnMcA 19th Sep 16, 7:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnMcA
    Have we a case or is this just a rant?
    My wife and I flew from Aberdeen to Prague via Frankfurt last Thursday with Lufthansa. The flight was due to leave at 05:35, with the connection to Prague at 09:55. When we dropped our car off at the car-park we found that Lufthansa had sent us a message just after 04:00 informing us that there was a nearly 8 hour delay on our flight.

It transpires that a hole had been identified on Aberdeen runway late the previous afternoon. The situation was resolved late that evening, but the incoming flight from Frankfurt was cancelled with the result that the plane for the morning flight wasn't in Aberdeen. We believe that Lufthansa decided to fly in the plane immediately before the 05:35 departure, rather than several hours earlier when the runway had re-opened. However, fog in the early morning then delayed the incoming flight until 12:45. Passengers were not able to board the aircraft until nearly 14:00.

Our connecting flight to Prague was long gone and we had to wait another 4 hours in Frankfurt, eventually arriving in Prague over 12 hours later than planned.

So, as I said, do we have a case or is this just a (therapeutic) rant?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 19th Sep 16, 8:14 PM
    • 16,934 Posts
    • 6,804 Thanks
    richardw
    Would you have been OK if they'd bussed you to a nearby Scottish airport for a flight on a diverted plane?
    Last edited by richardw; 19-09-2016 at 8:18 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • JohnMcA
    • By JohnMcA 20th Sep 16, 11:25 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnMcA
    If we'd been transferred to Edinburgh (about 3 hours) we could possibly have been in Frankfurt by late morning or early afternoon and possibly Prague by mid afternoon. So a 12+ hours delay would have been reduced to about 6. Assumes of course that the decision to transfer us was made around the scheduled departure time (05:35) and a plane was available.
    • City Hall
    • By City Hall 21st Sep 16, 2:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    City Hall
    Am I being fobbed off?
    Hi, I was scheduled to fly from Budapest to Gatwick at 14.10 on Thursday 15th September 2016,on flight EZY 8424. In the event ,the plane left about three and a half hours late and arrived at Gatwick 3 hours and 9 minutes late. We were told there was a technical problem with our plane which was stranded in Jersey. I applied for compensation on Easyjet's website and have now received a reply that because the delay was due to a bird strike, I am not entitled to any compensation because a bird strike is considered an 'extraordinary' event outside of Easyjet's control.
    Do I accept this explanation at face value?
    Do I ask for proof that the delay was really caused by a bird strike?
    Is in indeed true that no compensation is paid for a bird strike delay?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    City Hall.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 21st Sep 16, 2:50 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Justice13075
    They are talking Bovine excrement. The delay was on the aircraft coming to pick you up so was in fact a knock on effect. Euclaim say you are due Ä250 per passenger. Put the details into Bottonline see what they say. Google then download "Vaubans guide" All explained in there. Good luck
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st Sep 16, 2:55 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    JPears
    Bird strike is not an EC, so you are probably due compensation.
    Please read Vauban's most excellent guide and write back to EJ, making your letter an NBA. Then commence legal proceedings if no joy from that.
    And repost this on EJ thread please.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • xssc32x
    • By xssc32x 21st Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xssc32x
    Hi update on claim against Wizz Air:, bott and co emailed today stating
    "We're writing to let you know that we have received confirmation from the court that they have issued formal court proceedings to the airline."
    Is anybody in a similar position using Bott and Co against Wizz Air and has anybody been successful after court have issued formal court proceedings?
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 22nd Sep 16, 12:12 AM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 1,935 Thanks
    Vauban
    Hi, I was scheduled to fly from Budapest to Gatwick at 14.10 on Thursday 15th September 2016,on flight EZY 8424. In the event ,the plane left about three and a half hours late and arrived at Gatwick 3 hours and 9 minutes late. We were told there was a technical problem with our plane which was stranded in Jersey. I applied for compensation on Easyjet's website and have now received a reply that because the delay was due to a bird strike, I am not entitled to any compensation because a bird strike is considered an 'extraordinary' event outside of Easyjet's control.
    Do I accept this explanation at face value?
    Do I ask for proof that the delay was really caused by a bird strike?
    Is in indeed true that no compensation is paid for a bird strike delay?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    City Hall.
    Originally posted by City Hall
    http://www.euclaim.co.uk/blog/advocate-general-advises-european-court-bird-strike-is-not-an-extraordinary-circumstance
    I used to link to my guide - but MSE stopped such malfeasance. I may not have my link (you can still google it) but I retain a magnificent hat!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 22nd Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    JPears
    Off topic - how do I get old style forum back?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • City Hall
    • By City Hall 22nd Sep 16, 3:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    City Hall
    Thanks to Justice 13075,J Pears and Vauban for your replies and apologies for delay in replying.As you can see by my number of posts, I am new to this site.Indulge me while I ask a number of basic questions.
    Is bottomline an advisory website?
    EC stands for Extraordinary ????
    Can someone provide a link to the EJ(Easyjet? )thread to re-post my original query(as requested by J Pears) ? I cannot find it!

I certainly want the compensation I feel I am entitled to, but I am daunted by the thought of entering into a prolonged stalling campaign by Easyjet.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 22nd Sep 16, 4:13 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Half way down page 5 at present
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 22nd Sep 16, 4:15 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    ibizafan
    We have just submitted a claim to BA for a three plus hour delay from Heathrow to Denver because of "technical problems" on September 5th. Hoping for a good result.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 22nd Sep 16, 5:08 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Bottonline is advisory in so much as you can put your details into their checker with no obligation on you to use them for claiming.
    EC stands for Extraordinary Circumstance
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 22nd Sep 16, 8:41 PM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 1,935 Thanks
    Vauban

I certainly want the compensation I feel I am entitled to, but I am daunted by the thought of entering into a prolonged stalling campaign by Easyjet.
    Originally posted by City Hall
    Either get a no-win no-fee company to do your claim, or read my guide (google it) for how to do it yourself. This is a self-help forum, so get reading up!
    I used to link to my guide - but MSE stopped such malfeasance. I may not have my link (you can still google it) but I retain a magnificent hat!
    • Wanderer71
    • By Wanderer71 24th Sep 16, 6:38 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wanderer71
    I submitted a claim against Small Planet after being delayed on 7 August 2016. I've heard nothing back apart from an acknowledgement email. What is the average timescale for resolving things? Is it time to start pushing?

Thanks
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 24th Sep 16, 7:29 AM
    • 3,490 Posts
    • 1,397 Thanks
    111KAB
    Wanderer - Small Planet are a nightmare and although you don't say when you actually submitted the claim if over 4 weeks ago then I suggest NBA and as you say get 'pushing'. Vauban's Guide is your friend, read it, take it all in hopefully some time in the future you can pocket the dosh they owe you.
    • Wanderer71
    • By Wanderer71 24th Sep 16, 7:48 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wanderer71
    Thanks. Claim was submitted and autoreply received 15 August. I'll email now asking for an update. What's NBA?

Cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,417Posts Today

6,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin