IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area
Views: 746,700
# 7141
Muddy700
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Continental Airlines?? How to apply

Does anyone know how to proceed re Continental? They merged with United Airlines I think. Does anyone have any advice in terms of applying for comp for a 22 hour delay that was with Continental?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 7142
Alan Bowen
Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 825 Posts

So long as the delay was on your flight to the US and not back, and was not outside the airline's control, write to United Airlines at the following address: United House, Southern Perimeter Road, Heathrow Airport, Middlesex TW6 3LP
# 7143
kingjs
Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Can anyone help regarding a claim I wish to make?

I was travelling to china from london in april via HK on cathay pacific

The plane departed an hour late from London due to a repair that needed to be made and as a result I was unable to board the connecting flight from HK to China.
The airline put us in a normal coach to the airport which we were meant to arrive in, all in all the time it took to get from the airport in HK , going through immigration, baggage reclaim etc to the airport in Guangzhou was approx 4 hours.
The flight time would of been 55 mins. I wrote to cathay pacific and they offered 10,000 miles which I replied back to say I did not want , they did not reply to this message and I contact them again, with no response , I then emailed about 3 other offices and still have had no reply. Can I do anything more?
# 7144
David_e
Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjs View Post
Can I do anything more?
You need to read the FAQs; it's all there.
# 7145
Chrisinemoreira
Old 08-08-2014, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry 5 Hour Delay Barca to London with Monarch

Hi Martin

Myself and 7 others in my group were left to wait for 5 hours at Barcelona Airport with very little information as to why we were delayed.
We were initially told it would only be 2 hours and were given vouchers to buy a sandwich and a drink (to keep us quiet) - We took off 5 hrs later. Apparently there were problems with our plane so we had to wait for another one to leave Portugal, drop the passengers in London then come to Barcelona. We received this information from the cabin crew. Not Acceptable.
On my return i decided to complain and found a template on your site which i adapted to suit and sent. This was on the 23rd June and i still haven't received any reply from Monarch.

Could you advise me as to what my next move should be please?
# 7146
Caz3121
Old 08-08-2014, 3:30 PM

Thanked 4,639 Times in 2,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinemoreira View Post
Hi Martin

Myself and 7 others in my group were left to wait for 5 hours at Barcelona Airport with very little information as to why we were delayed.
We were initially told it would only be 2 hours and were given vouchers to buy a sandwich and a drink (to keep us quiet) - We took off 5 hrs later. Apparently there were problems with our plane so we had to wait for another one to leave Portugal, drop the passengers in London then come to Barcelona. We received this information from the cabin crew. Not Acceptable.
On my return i decided to complain and found a template on your site which i adapted to suit and sent. This was on the 23rd June and i still haven't received any reply from Monarch.

Could you advise me as to what my next move should be please?
The Monarch thread is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4384583
you will also find details on the court process int he FAQs
# 7147
Mla
Old 08-08-2014, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Success

We were delayed for 7 hours coming out of Turkey, with Thomas Cook.

We used your template and were offered 1291 for four of us, in vouchers. Declined these and have had payment direct into my account. All within 6 weeks.

Thomas Cook were quick, polite and helpful, throughout.
# 7148
knighter
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I must be having a bad morning - I cannot see where on the Flightstats website you find if a specific flight arrived late and by how much - can anyone help?

I have created an account and logged in.

Thanks.
# 7149
Caz3121
Old 09-08-2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighter View Post
I must be having a bad morning - I cannot see where on the Flightstats website you find if a specific flight arrived late and by how much - can anyone help?

I have created an account and logged in.

Thanks.
there is a Flight Status box on the right hand side of the home page
The Following User Says Thank You to Caz3121 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7150
knighter
Old 09-08-2014, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz3121 View Post
there is a Flight Status box on the right hand side of the home page
Thanks, when I clicked on the calendar icon it only offered me dates from around now - didn't realise you could edit the text date.

Thanks again!!
# 7151
shell69
Old 09-08-2014, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bowen View Post
So long as the delay was on your flight to the US and not back, and was not outside the airline's control, write to United Airlines at the following address: United House, Southern Perimeter Road, Heathrow Airport, Middlesex TW6 3LP
Hi,

I have just filled in my small claims court form and used the United address in Chicago - is this wrong then? I couldn't find a UK one.

Thanks
# 7152
Vauban
Old 09-08-2014, 9:56 PM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell69 View Post
Hi,

I have just filled in my small claims court form and used the United address in Chicago - is this wrong then? I couldn't find a UK one.

Thanks
Yes. It has to be a UK address or it will be struck out. You may have just lost your application fee.
For general advice on how to claim EU 261/04 flight delay compensation, please see my guide (last link on the "flight delay forum" sticky).
# 7153
shell69
Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauban View Post
Yes. It has to be a UK address or it will be struck out. You may have just lost your application fee.
Thanks for that - luckily I haven't posted it yet!! Will amend the details on the form.
# 7154
V6Jim
Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bowen View Post
Just returned from San Francisco on United flight 901. Due to leave at 12.55pm (Local time SF). It was due to land at 07.10am (Following day UK time).

We boarded about 30 minutes late then sat on the stand at SFO for more than 2 hours due to a battery charging problem. We were pushed back at 3.49pm and finally left SFO at 4.16pm.

However, we actually landed at Heathrow at 10.09am and at (the wrong) gate at 10.29am. So 3hrs 19mins late.

There are lots of other irritating details I'll not bore you with here, but can I ask if I have any kind of claim?

I realise this is a US Airline, but the flight was into an EU airport.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jimmy
# 7155
rob3770
Old 11-08-2014, 2:07 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Given free return flights

Hi, we were delayed for 3 days due to, plane leaving late from the UK to get to us, then because the crew had worked too many hours, then there was a hurricane!!

Virgin have sent us a letter for a free return flight to any destination but trying to get a flight for my wife and myself to anywhere apart from NYC is proving very hard as they only have a very small number of seas for compensation customers.

Can we claim for the EU money instead even though these letters have been sent?

PS, the flight was the return leg from Cancun to Gatwick last June.

Cheers.
Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
# 7156
Caz3121
Old 11-08-2014, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jim View Post
I realise this is a US Airline, but the flight was into an EU airport.
With a non-EU airline the affected flight has to be departing from an EU airport to qualify

Departing EU airport - any carrier
Departing outside EU for flight to EU - EU carriers only
Departing outside EU for destination outside EU - no carriers

Last edited by Caz3121; 11-08-2014 at 5:53 AM.
# 7157
shell69
Old 11-08-2014, 8:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default United airlines

Quote:
Thanks for that - luckily I haven't posted it yet!! Will amend the details on the form.
Just thinking Vauban, I've sent all previous correspondence to the USA - basically filled in the online customer service form first, and then replied to whoever replied to me. I sent the NBA to the CEO of customer care and refunds in Chicago. Is this ok, or do I need to start the whole process again, going through the UK address.

Thanks for any advice you can offer
# 7158
shell69
Old 11-08-2014, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default united airlines

Quote:
Just thinking Vauban, I've sent all previous correspondence to the USA - basically filled in the online customer service form first, and then replied to whoever replied to me. I sent the NBA to the CEO of customer care and refunds in Chicago. Is this ok, or do I need to start the whole process again, going through the UK address.

Thanks for any advice you can offer
Anybody got any ideas on this - desperately want to post my envelope but want to make sure I've done the right thing

Thanks
# 7159
Vauban
Old 12-08-2014, 8:17 AM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Anybody got any ideas on this - desperately want to post my envelope but want to make sure I've done the right thing

Thanks
If your NBA went to Chicago, and Chicago were dealing with the claim, then that's fine.
For general advice on how to claim EU 261/04 flight delay compensation, please see my guide (last link on the "flight delay forum" sticky).
# 7160
WPC123
Old 12-08-2014, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Telegraph today ........... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...u-due-480.html

General advise on this forum is not to use the CAA.