Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hardpressed
    • By hardpressed 5th Jun 07, 11:07 PM
    • 2,066Posts
    • 1,508Thanks
    hardpressed
    How do you sterilize glass bottles?
    • 5th Jun 07, 11:07 PM
    How do you sterilize glass bottles? 5th Jun 07 at 11:07 PM
    I've got a batch of elderflower cordial brewing and need to sterilize some empty wine bottles to put it in. How do I do it? Can't get to the shops to buy Milton. I was thinking of boiling water but wouldn't that crack the glass?
Page 1
  • MRSMCAWBER
    • 5th Jun 07, 11:13 PM
    • 5th Jun 07, 11:13 PM
    Hi there
    if you wash them out, and then put them in a warm oven to dry - that should do it....thats what a lot of people do to sterilise jam jars...
    regards jill
  • mandy_moo_1
    • 6th Jun 07, 7:50 AM
    • 6th Jun 07, 7:50 AM
    i do a lot of home brewing, and if i've run out of steriliser, i put a tiny drop of bleach in each bottle,fill it right to the top with warm water, leave it for about half an hour, then rinse with cold running water. just keep rinsing them till you can't smell the bleach any more

i've done this loads of times, and my brews have always worked and i'm still here!

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Jun 07, 8:16 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 6th Jun 07, 8:16 AM
    • 6th Jun 07, 8:16 AM
    Hi there
    if you wash them out, and then put them in a warm oven to dry - that should do it....thats what a lot of people do to sterilise jam jars...
    regards jill
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    That's what I do but another option is to pour the cordial into freezer tubs or bags and freeze. I've only got one decent 'pop' bottle with a stopper so I defrost the cordial and decant it into my bottle and store in the fridge.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 6th Jun 07, 9:09 AM
    • 6th Jun 07, 9:09 AM
    Does anyone do the oven thing with their slow cooker to sterilise it for making yoghurt? How long does it need to be in there to make it sterile?

A friend gave me some milton tablets yesterday but if there's a way of doing it without that's got to help!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 6th Jun 07, 9:57 AM
    • 13,031 Posts
    • 114,296 Thanks
    lil_me
    • 6th Jun 07, 9:57 AM
    • 6th Jun 07, 9:57 AM
    As long as you don't put them from being really cold to boiling doesn't usually crack, for example milk bottle straight from fridge into boiling water.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    • liney
    • By liney 6th Jun 07, 12:45 PM
    • 4,878 Posts
    • 8,232 Thanks
    liney
    • 6th Jun 07, 12:45 PM
    • 6th Jun 07, 12:45 PM
    Wash in the dishwasher and use while still warm.

HV said it was good enough for babies bottles, so should be fine.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 6th Jun 07, 7:00 PM
    • 6th Jun 07, 7:00 PM
    I don't have a dishwasher.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • liney
    • By liney 6th Jun 07, 7:41 PM
    • 4,878 Posts
    • 8,232 Thanks
    liney
    • 6th Jun 07, 7:41 PM
    • 6th Jun 07, 7:41 PM
    Then the oven it is for you, or milton.

Oven is 1/2 hour on the lowest setting iirc from my Nan making jam. Use while still warm.
  • grannybroon
    Hi

I am lucky, I have a microwave steriliser from ToysrUs for DGS's bottles when wee (another due imminently!) Hot wash and then rinse and then in the steriliser for whatever time it says - sorry haven't used it for ages so can't remember for how long. When I bring out for jam just give a good hot wash and then heat in oven before pouring in jam (or marmalade).

GB
  • Hapless
    I use the "brewers sterilizer" from a brewing book. I can't remember the mix but it's citric acid and campden tablets in 1 pint of water......I wish I could remember the proportions!
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • kodokan
    Freeze it in a large plastic tub. Because it's got so much sugar in, it doesn't freeze quite solid, so can be scooped out, put into glasses and topped up with water, doesn't even need defrosting first. AND this way it can be eaten as elderflower sorbet (in small quantities, as it's shudderingly rich).

I'm still eating last year's batch from the freezer (went a bit mad on this, and the elderberry cordial later in the year).

kodokan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,994Posts Today

5,751Users online

Martin's Twitter