IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Appliances
Views: 502
# 1
bretts
Old 19-07-2013, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Appliances

Hi all

Just wanted to know I am in the process of buying appliances and electrics for the house as I am renovating it, I went to wickes and they suggested me to look at best buy on which but i was wondering is there any other place we can get reviews on which is the best washing machine, fridge freezer and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
macman
Old 19-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Which? Online?
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 3
Biggles
Old 19-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Which? definitely. I'm not sure how much non-members are able to see online, though.

Otherwise, public libraries always used to keep paper copies of the monthly magazine, I don't know if they still do.
# 4
ic
Old 19-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Go with Which? Its 1 for a trial - you can easily cancel within the trial period, otherwise its something like 8.50+ per month to remain on subscription.

I haven't found any free sites that perform comprehensive test reviews across ranges. Most websites go off the look of an appliance and the manufacturer specs, and do little in the way of real testing, and assessing owner feedback.
* my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
# 5
shays_mum
Old 19-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Keep to the branded ones, bosch, aeg (i like them personally compared to the other branded ones)miele etc. Then appliances direct, which i think is quite cheap & well recommended on this site.
HTH
No one said it was gonna be easy!
The Following User Says Thank You to shays_mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Myser
Old 19-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Arrow Reevoo

http://www.reevoo.com/shopping
If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button!
# 7
tracey3596
Old 19-07-2013, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another "+" for Reevoo as above post ...... having recently replaced many of my major appliances, I found trawling through the reviews of people's ACTUAL EXPERIENCES time-consuming.
BUT ultimately of more real value (to me, anyway) than the supposed "what is the best ...? " - type of editorial from subscription material.
Simply - if 1200 people have actually bought "X" cooker and awarded it a total score of 4.9 out of a maximum 5, would I really want to risk a similar cooker that say 35 people scored 3.2?
As stated though, time-consuming.
# 8
CKdesigner
Old 20-07-2013, 9:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I agree that generally Which reports are generally fairly good and that review sites are also generally good, but I can't help thinking great reviews on review websites just 'snowball' by people that actually don't know a lot!

If a consumer needs a new washing machine, for example, they would typically read some positive reviews about it on a website, so they think they will buy one. After a week or 2 they also then write a good review on the washing machine, but what experience have they had of other comparable washing machines? How do they truly know they have the best washing machine for them and the money they have spent, other than the fact that equally knowledgeable consumers have also purchased it and thought it OK. There might be another washing machine out there that is significantly better for them but simply hasn't been reviewed.

However, constant reviews of products that rate them as poor I think have more weight, as ultimately many consumers have felt the product to be poor value for money.

CK
The Following User Says Thank You to CKdesigner For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
MoneyMate
Old 20-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thumbs up Also use Money Back Sites if available

Don't forget to look at using Cashback Sites for purchases Example http://www.topcashback.co.uk/search/merchants/?s=Wickes

Cash BACK IS never GUARANTEED
There are more questions than answers
# 10
VfM4meplse
Old 09-08-2013, 7:59 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shays_mum View Post
Keep to the branded ones, bosch, aeg (i like them personally compared to the other branded ones)miele etc. Then appliances direct, which i think is quite cheap & well recommended on this site.
HTH
It does - you've answered the question I had in mind this morning ("Is Appliances Direct recommended by MSE?") but if you could point me to where on site that would be great.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!