Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Cancelling Vodafone Contract does it have to be w... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cancelling Vodafone Contract does it have to be written
Closed Thread
Views: 68,690
# 1
Simon_B
Old 05-06-2007, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Cancelling Vodafone Contract does it have to be written

They are informing me that it does but this seems like a bit of a drag and i can't remember having to do it before? :confused:

Also are there standard forms for this anywhere on the web?
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon_B For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
billymac
Old 05-06-2007, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You do have to write; here's the response I got when I asked what the process was. I sent the letter recorded delivery and had phone confirmation of receipt a week letter when they phoned me up to offer me a cheaper rental on renewal which I declined.

"Thank you for contacting the Vodafone Customer Service regarding the cancellation of your phone contract. I知 sorry to learn that you wish to leave Vodafone. To cancel your account, you will need to send us a 30-day written notice including the following information:

Name
Account number
Mobile number
Payment Method
Signature

You can send your notice to the address mentioned below:

Vodafone Disconnection Department
Vodafone Ltd
PO Box 549
Banbury
Oxon
OX17 3ZJ

You can also fax it to us on 087 0161 6500.

Your cancellation request will be processed within 30 days from the day we receive your notice.

I want to tell you that you will be charged monthly rental until your account is cancelled.

If you are worried about the monthly bills you can also transfer your mobile number to Pay As You Talk and retain your existing mobile number. You will be able to use your same SIM card and phone. If you wish to transfer your number to Pay As You Talk, just mention this option in your written request.

Did you know that you can retain your existing mobile number and transfer it to another service provider? To transfer your number to another network you値l need a PAC (Port Authorisation Code). Once the PAC is requested, it will be posted to you within 7 working days. It will be valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

When you receive it, you値l need to advise your new service provider about the PAC, who値l process it and provide you with a port date. As soon as your number ports to your new service provider your account with Vodafone will close.

If your PAC hasn稚 been used your account with Vodafone will remain active until you instruct us further. You will then need to resend the cancellation request in writing to the above mentioned address or request the PAC if expired.

You値l receive your final bill about 3 weeks after your number ports out and I would advise you not to cancel your Direct Debit until your final bill has been paid.

To get the PAC all you need to do is call 191 free from your phone or 08700 700191 from any fixed-line phone (Monday to Friday between 08:00 and 20:00, Saturday between 09:00 and 18:00, Sunday between 09:00 and 17:00) and select option 4 then 3."
The Following User Says Thank You to billymac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Simon_B
Old 05-06-2007, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for that i'll fax it to them and chase it up on Friday saves the postage
# 4
strog25
Old 06-06-2007, 7:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

I am in the process of cancelling my contract with VF, (charging £1 per day for VF Live and other concerns!). I phoned them up and they said in writing or an email. So I sent an email yesterday morning to porting.out@vodafone.co.uk. By yesterday afternoon I had my PAC by return of email. So its off to T-Mobile this weekend for a new ohine and contract (Web'N'Walk 35).

No phone call from Vodafone as yet, cant see that they can match the T-Mobile Flex-T, webnWalk deals anyway, not with the free Evening and weekend calls.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strog25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Simon_B
Old 06-06-2007, 7:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cheers for that i'll email in my letter as well make sure that they have it from both angles i've moved to T-mobile to but there 3p text deal on PAYG, trying to cut costs a little been on it for nearly 3 months now and have yet to spend £10
# 6
Rich_P_Biscuit
Old 01-05-2009, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default No word from Vodafone...

Hello,
I'm currently attempting to cancel my Vodafone contract so's I can get a shiny I-Phone from O2. (yes, I'm an idiot)
I've e-mailed all the details I need to, (name, account number, payment method etc...), to the e-mail address listed in this thread, (porting.out@vodafone.co.uk), but have yet to receive a reply from Vodafone. Is that e-mail still valid? I haven't received any messages via my hotmail to let me know otherwise so I'm guessing it's gone somewhere. Any tips to gee them up a bit?
Also, do I have to wait until my contract has expired or will the 30 day notice thing override that? I'd rather not pay a cancellation fee.
Thanks!

Last edited by Rich_P_Biscuit; 01-05-2009 at 2:47 PM. Reason: I meant thread, not forum.
# 7
PNEfan
Old 01-05-2009, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

To avoid the 30 day notice, ring and ask for a PAC and transfer number (maybe to a PAYG sim with another network if you aren't transferring it to another contract). Vodafone take up to 7 days to send it to you in the post (unlike other networks that give it instantly over the phone), but once you use it the account stops instantly. Porting now only takes 2 days. If you have credit on your final bill because you pay in advance, you can ask Vodafone to pay you back. They do this by bank transfer to the account your DD comes from.
# 8
KettleFish
Old 01-05-2009, 3:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As mentioned, you CAN email your cancellation request. Simply send an email via the routine contact form.
# 9
Stubert
Old 01-05-2009, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When I cancelled my Vodafone contract, just asked to be moved to PAYG. Just had to give 30 days notice over the phone and it was done.
# 10
Rich_P_Biscuit
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

OK thanks for suggestions. I basically just want to leave Vodafone as quickly as possible without incurring any charges. The switching to PAYG idea sounds good, I might give that a try.

Is it unusual that I've heard nothing from the e-mail address, porting.out@vodafone.co.uk though? I don't want to confuse the issue by telling them to do two different things.

Thanks again for the help.
# 11
soppy05
Old 07-07-2010, 7:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default vodafone

hi there, im wondering if anyone can help me or give me some advice i got my vodafone contract last march it is a 24 month contract i was with my daughters father then and working. My circumstances have changed iam now a single parant and struggling to keep on top of all my bills i really need to get out of this contract as i have so many bills to pay. im just totally un sure of what to do as i dont want to get any further behind with my payments and im worried that im going to end up in debt.
# 12
imr4n
Old 07-07-2010, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There no way to get out of it without paying the cancelationh charges.

Some may say that you can tell vodafone your circumstances and they may be able to do something. But i cant personally see this happening as vodafone are here to make money, not friends.
# 13
sam1970
Old 07-07-2010, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi guys..please i need help...my VF contract was due to end on 2/7/10..I phoned two weeks earlier to ask for the PAC code..they sent it and then called me twice to offer me other deals but i refused...the third time they called they said i should give 30 days notice..I went mad at them as no one told me that in the previous calls..they said as a good will gesture they will terminate the contract on 2/7 without the notice...on the day they changed my sim to Pay as u go..the PAC code will expire on 26/7 but it is unlikely that i will use before then as i am waiting for iphone so what will happen then? will they charge me monthly rent again? looking at my VF account on line all my details have disappeared and showing as pay as u go
something missing
# 14
atalanta
Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile New Fax Number

Hi,

fyi, the number for faxing your cancellation details is 08701699660, the number below wasn't recognised.
# 15
suddenimpact
Old 28-06-2011, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I had a PAYG (Orange) mobile for emergencies, which was kept in the car and rarely used. My young daughter kept on about a mobile, so I said have that one and I'll get a contract for it.Now you have to bear in mind that I'm a complete novice on mobiles. Haven't a clue. Looking on Vodafone, I noticed they did a better deal than Orange (50 mins a month more) so I obviously signed up for a 12 month contract. Their advert said "Just pop in the sim and your ready to go" When the sim arrived , it wouldn't work, they then imformed that I had to contact Orange and Pay 」20.00 to get it unblocked.This after I'd been holding onto the V/fone switchboard for 10 mins at, I found out after, 」1.53 a min, then the same with Orange. I'd had enough, I sent V/fone an e-mail and also posted a copy of the e-mail to them, imforming that I was cancelling (within the 7 day cancellation time.) They have now got in touch telling me that I should have called their number and will have to pay 」90. odd. I did try to ring this cancellation number and was just holding on forever. Is this right, do they have me over a barrel. P.S. Orange a few days later matched V/fones 300 mins. Typical. Many Thanks.
# 16
grumbler
Old 28-06-2011, 3:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Saying that you have to pay for unblocking a new sim card is rubbish.
If you had the sim activated and used it for making calls you have to pay for this. Some numbers can be very expensive.

As a side note, make sure that you know what you are doing by giving a contract phone to a 'young' daughter. There are no any limits on the amount she can spend by calling to some expensive numbers of subscribing to some premium services.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 17
macman
Old 28-06-2011, 3:42 PM

I think there's some confusion here. The OP had an old Orange PAYG handset that (unsurprisingly) is locked to Orange. They bought a SIM-only contract with Voda to use in the Orange handset. The Voda SIM isn't locked, it's the handset that's locked.
Quickest way to resolve this was to pop down to your local market phone stall or independent phone shop where they'll probably unlock it for you for a fiver if it's an old model.
Why throw your toys out of the pram with Voda over this issue? It's not their fault.
Totally agree with grumbler on the risk of teens (or younger) with contract phones, too many horror stories on here!
No free lunch, and no free laptop
The Following User Says Thank You to macman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
suddenimpact
Old 28-06-2011, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi there. Thanks for the swift replies. I think we're at crossed purposes here. It was the phone that was locked not the sim. Since I'm a novice on mobiles, I thought you did what vodafone said in their advert and just pop the sim in and away you go. That was my grumble. Suddenly paying 」20.00 on top for an unlock and holding on at your expense at prime rate, then after imforming them, being told you still have to pay didn't help either. What I wanted an answer for, was, are they right in charging the rest of the contract after I contacted them within the 7 days. Thanks for the advice on the daughter by the way but when I say young I mean 15 and she wanted it to text her friends and for picking up. Cheers Guys anyway.
# 19
grumbler
Old 28-06-2011, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenimpact View Post
are they right in charging the rest of the contract after I contacted them within the 7 days.
Normally 7 days period applies only to distance selling, but Vodafone have the same policy for shop purchases: I've changed my mind and want to return my product, what is Vodafone's returns policy?

No, they are not right in charging for the rest of the contract. They can charge you only for the services you have used.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 20
suddenimpact
Old 28-06-2011, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Grumbler, Haven't even used the card, as the phone is still locked. Since this, I've had untold people telling me that you have to get the phone unlocked. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'll have to get onto Vodafone, but I can't see me getting much joy. Cheers.
Closed Thread