Juice Fasting?

Comments

• GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    I have to say, I think a blender would do the job well (may not last a lifetime though, what does nowadays?). If the blades and power of mine can do it, I am sure that a more up-to-date version could.

Using a blender just means a little more preparation of the fruit and veg, which I find quite pleasant anyway.

I should mention too that I don't necessarily think that the smoothie can be said to provide the five-a-day but certainly 2-3 of the requirement/aim. I would usually also eat a serving of salad or chick pea/pepper/courgette combo and maybe vegetable soup, canned fruit or another peice of fruit or small glass of fruit juice. It is amazing how much a person can eat (and I do struggle with that [eating enough, believe it or not, haha] and timings etc.) when the food is all of this nature - although watch out for fruit juices - and still come in under the calorie allowance and yet meet nutritional needs.

:)

( Disclaimer: I worked in food manufacture (ugh, processed foods) and research & development (major US food corp) for a few years, so a lot of my beliefs stem from that experience and the sheer horror of what is happening to the human species (including myself) due to what we put into our bodies..... Athough I have a keen interest in nutrition and health, I am no expert, just blundering along :o.)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have amount other things a thyroid problem and have juice fasted, love it but actually made my 'metabolism' problem worse, as my body 'down shifted' to reduce to decreased calorific intake. So, any deviation to a higher calorie food is felt very, very heavily indeed. :(

What is helping, very slowly but with no rebound is intermittent fasting. While I am not having the dramatic impact most people report, I didn't really expect to with fairly profound health issues and metabolic problems. However, its the first time a small loss has been sustained for a year and its for me a very easy and natural way to eat. There is no reason why one could not 'micronutrient' juice in combination with that.
  • cardi80
    cardi80 Posts: 426 Forumite
    A friend introduced me to juicing - I thought it would be a fad so got a cheaper cookworks whole fruit Juicer to start with using nectar points. It's pretty good.

I watched the program and thought it was so inspiring but not enough to get me to give up my food! :rotfl:I've been having 1 or 2 juices a day for the last couple of months and feel great. I find it good for this heat too when I know I should eat something but really can't be bothered. I also only have them at home so I can brush my teeth straight after.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    cardi80 wrote: »
    I also only have them at home so I can brush my teeth straight after.

Brushing your teeth straight after will make erosion worse.

If you imagine the acid in the drink softening the surface layer of your enamel. Over about 45mins, calcium in your saliva will harden up that layer again, and repair it.

If you attack it with a toothbrush straight away, then you'll rub off that soft layer, and gradually you'll have less and less tooth!

If it is only one or two juices a day, then it's not really anything to worry about dentally - especially if there are not any meals or other sugary or acidic attacks at other times (This may not be good nutritionally - but that's not the issue of this post).

The problem comes if there are more than 4 or 5 attacks per day.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • I bought a great little blender. It's the Kenwood Smoothie 2 Go.

You get two decent size travel style mugs with it. So no need for extra washing up lol.

I use mine mostly to make fruit smoothies, which usually consist of banana & some frozen fruit, oh and milk. However, you could use it to make all sorts of drinks.
  • HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr H and I watched the programme and seriously considered it BUT we took advice, spoke to a knowledgeable friend who said that it is not a good way to lose weight. It damages muscle mass, the weight will go back on as soon as you stop unless you change your diet and there was no way Mr H would be able to do his job.

So instead, I've changed what I eat and I now have fruit for breakfast. More fruit for lunch or a simple salad, then a healthy dinner (cutting out potatoes and reducing the fats) with plenty of vegetables.

I will allow myself a cheat day where I can have what I want (within reason! never a good idea to gorge on chocolate as much as I would want too :D )

Weighed myself yesterday...I've lost 3lbs! :T only another 4 stone to go :eek:

Slow and steady wins the race....and everything in moderation.

HP x
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • cardi80
    cardi80 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Brushing your teeth straight after will make erosion worse.

I did not know that. Thanks for letting me know!
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Fredandwilma, do you have a lot of weight to lose? I would say to try a juice diet for 3 days or 5 days as it may take a lot of stamina to aim for longer.

You may feel exhausted on the 3rd day and start to feel more energetic after that.

Be careful how you "break" that fast as your stomach will shrink and will find it difficult to digest a lot of food (I've heard soaked prunes are recommended to break the fast).

There's lots of videos on youtube relating to juice fasting, video diaries etc. If you get a chance to look up reach4raw, I find her videos very entertaining and inspirational. She has a long way to go weight-wise but juicing has improved her mental health for starters.

I juice quite a lot but haven't just consumed just juice for days at a time as I'm not overweight. Green juices are good as they contain less sugar, add some apples and carrots for sweetness.

A good transition might be, first eliminate coffee, tea, alcohol, sugar and processed food from your diet for a couple of weeks, increase your fruit and veg intake and have a juice a day in the mornings on an empty stomach and then work your way to juice fasting as if you plunge straight in the detox process might be painful.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!

( Disclaimer: I worked in food manufacture (ugh, processed foods) and research & development (major US food corp) for a few years, so a lot of my beliefs stem from that experience and the sheer horror of what is happening to the human species (including myself) due to what we put into our bodies..... Athough I have a keen interest in nutrition and health, I am no expert, just blundering along :o.)

A great motivation for a food lifestyle change?
    I bought a great little blender. It's the Kenwood Smoothie 2 Go.

You get two decent size travel style mugs with it. So no need for extra washing up lol.

I use mine mostly to make fruit smoothies, which usually consist of banana & some frozen fruit, oh and milk. However, you could use it to make all sorts of drinks.

Thanks for this.The cheapest i've found is £19.99. Bargain. Two travel mugs and an ice crusher function, hmmmm

It's a strong mse contender.

Jox wrote: »
    Fredandwilma, do you have a lot of weight to lose? I would say to try a juice diet for 3 days or 5 days as it may take a lot of stamina to aim for longer.

You may feel exhausted on the 3rd day and start to feel more energetic after that.

Be careful how you "break" that fast as your stomach will shrink and will find it difficult to digest a lot of food (I've heard soaked prunes are recommended to break the fast).

There's lots of videos on youtube relating to juice fasting, video diaries etc. If you get a chance to look up reach4raw, I find her videos very entertaining and inspirational. She has a long way to go weight-wise but juicing has improved her mental health for starters.

I juice quite a lot but haven't just consumed just juice for days at a time as I'm not overweight. Green juices are good as they contain less sugar, add some apples and carrots for sweetness.

A good transition might be, first eliminate coffee, tea, alcohol, sugar and processed food from your diet for a couple of weeks, increase your fruit and veg intake and have a juice a day in the mornings on an empty stomach and then work your way to juice fasting as if you plunge straight in the detox process might be painful.

No, i don't have alot of weight to lose, and it's not my primary reason for considering the juice fast, although a small weight loss is all good. :)

I think weight loss is proportionate to body weight in the first place, i.e. someone who weighs say 9 stone, is hardly going to lose 5 or 6 stone stone on a 60 day juice fast?

To be honest it's been over a considerable period of time watching how the food industry has changed, how our lifestyles have changed, how the food industry has "adapted" accordingly, how our food has become so processed etc, which has led me to take the final step and try a complete food lifestyle change?

I've already eliminated coffee, alcohol, sugar, milk (except with oats,) processed cereals, spreads, processed bread (homemade wholemeal bread on occasion,) i have one cup of tea a day for breakfast, other than that, i drink water which has come straight from the spring, i already eat largely fresh fruit and veg, (not from a supermarket,) pulses, lentils etc, so i don't feel it should be too difficult to make the final step toward an as healthy eating lifestyle as is possible? I haven't bought ready meals for years, (decades.) It's not just something i'm jumping into blindfold or without any thought?

I think more and more people are questioning what they eat, where their food is sourced, what it contains etc?

I'm going to try the juice fast and juicing on a regular basis just to see the "wellbeing" benefits it provides?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Mr_helpful
    Mr_helpful Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    A great motivation for a food lifestyle change?

Thanks for this.The cheapest i've found is £19.99. Bargain. Two travel mugs and an ice crusher function, hmmmm

It's a strong mse contender.

No, i don't have alot of weight to lose, and it's not my primary reason for considering the juice fast, although a small weight loss is all good. :)

I think weight loss is proportionate to body weight in the first place, i.e. someone who weighs say 9 stone, is hardly going to lose 5 or 6 stone stone on a 60 day juice fast?

To be honest it's been over a considerable period of time watching how the food industry has changed, how our lifestyles have changed, how the food industry has "adapted" accordingly, how our food has become so processed etc, which has led me to take the final step and try a complete food lifestyle change?

I've already eliminated coffee, alcohol, sugar, milk (except with oats,) processed cereals, spreads, processed bread (homemade wholemeal bread on occasion,) i have one cup of tea a day for breakfast, other than that, i drink water which has come straight from the spring, i already eat largely fresh fruit and veg, (not from a supermarket,) pulses, lentils etc, so i don't feel it should be too difficult to make the final step toward an as healthy eating lifestyle as is possible? I haven't bought ready meals for years, (decades.) It's not just something i'm jumping into blindfold or without any thought?

I think more and more people are questioning what they eat, where their food is sourced, what it contains etc?

I'm going to try the juice fast and juicing on a regular basis just to see the "wellbeing" benefits it provides?
    Dont forget that fruit sugars are Fructose and juicing can mean you are concentrating this sugar. fructose doesnt trigger insulin and leptin responses in the same way that glucose does so you still feel hungry and your body doesn register it has just has x number of calories, Fructose also is metabolised differently and tends to end up as fat. however agree with rest of your post
    I like to give people as many choices as possible to do what I want them to. (Milton H Erickson I think)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure