Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion
    • 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion 5th Jul 13 at 4:56 PM
    Hi all,

We've written a new guide on Free Boilers and Insulation, and it would be great to hear your feedback. Please do share your experiences and any extra tips to help others.

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection:
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions):
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed:
    - How you found the experience:

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-07-2013 at 4:59 PM.
Page 56
    • roseview
    • By roseview 20th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    roseview
    What is the situation re like for like? We had a company around and are eligible for an oil boiler. However, they want to take our Worcester Bosch and replace it with a Firebird which my heating engineer says isn't such a good quality boiler. The company now say that we will have to pay a contribution to get the Worcester.
    • drewuk1
    • By drewuk1 5th Sep 17, 12:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    drewuk1
    9 month npower dyson free boiler install
    We qualified for a free eco boiler from npower
    in october 2015 the install started
    the boiler did not work properly
    we had dyson out and baxi boilerrs and npower
    they came out 14 times over the next 9 months
    they blamed the problem on a faulty thermostat tat was damaged by my pet labrador
    we had a reprt done by baxi after it was found dyson installed the boiler incorrectly
    we made 91 calls and were still told after a reinstallation thatit was our fault that our dog chewed the termostat
    eventually they replaced the prorammer after another report from baxi saying it was a good will gesture
    we contended and s did baxithat tere was a prorammer problem
    we eventually sent the old programmer and thermostat back to honeywell for inspection
    turns out that the programmer was at fault and not the thermostat
    even after a manufacturer report stating the programmer was at fault, n power still states the termostat is ay fault
    we are taking npower to court to cover our expensis due to we had to have the heating on 24 hours a day as we could not control the boiler and we had to get electric heaters for when the boiler stopped, this was a house of a 90 years old ulnerable lady who cannot afford to pay te extra heat
    thanks npower for your compassion, and we will see yuo in court
    beware of dyson and npower
    • keiran
    • By keiran 12th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    keiran
    Hello esteemed MSEr's

I wonder if I can pick your brains about my boiler situation?

I have a buy-to-let property in Kent which has a Worcester Bosch combo boiler approaching its 20th year...
    It works well and is serviced annually (as well as getting the mandatory gas safety certificate).

But it must be inefficient, I suppose, and I'd rather replace it in good weather than wait for it to die during a cold spell

My tenants are in their mid 60s. One continues to work in a highly-paid job, and the other has been retired for a number of years and will probably be in receipt now of whatever pension he had accrued. I do not know the details of their finances, but think it's highly unlikely that they are in receipt of any benefits.

I assume that my boiler is exactly the sort of boiler which the government would be wanting to have replaced.

Can I avail of any schemes to replace this old boiler?
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 12th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Tiners
    Keiran. Can you expand further on just why you feel tax payers should subsidise the replacement of what is, ultimately, YOUR boiler in YOUR property, regardless of the benefits eligibility of your tenants?
    • Lesley Bracey
    • By Lesley Bracey 15th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lesley Bracey
    I have applied to numerous companies who say they are in the free boiler scheme only to keep being told unavailable in my area or has to be home with at least 3 bedrooms or only electric or LPG gas boilers provided. I'm now at my wits end as to who to approach next. Any advice would be welcome!
    Last edited by Lesley Bracey; 15-09-2017 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Mis spelt word.
    • Blue_Max
    • By Blue_Max 15th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Blue_Max
    Myself, like many others at MSE found that there are many shady installers got in on the scheme. They try all sorts of dirty tactics.
    Worcester Bosch boliers were 'Best Buys' by the Which? magazine for many years.
    Contact them for details of their dealer/installer in your area.
    Last edited by Blue_Max; 15-09-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 15th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    darren72
    Can anyone suggest any companies that are actually offering the free boilers at the moment? - A relative meets the requirements if we could find somewhere actually offering it.

Thanks in advance
    • keithw38
    • By keithw38 25th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    keithw38
    no free gas boilers?
    Been told due to funding gas boilers are not free i'm on income related esa in support group and they want £800, its a reduction yes but not free and my boilers broken down be good if i could get a grant from someone to even cover part of it.
    its a company called moneysaver+
    • Binsy0
    • By Binsy0 6th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Binsy0
    boiler scheme
    Unfortunately the scheme is aimed at tenants and homeowners on low incomes. If you have a tenant of a high income they wont qualify for the funding. You need to have a low income tenant who is on income based benefits.
    • Binsy0
    • By Binsy0 6th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Binsy0
    no free gas boilers?
    Unfortunately the scheme is more aimed at Oil and LPG or Electric storage heating. There is less funding on gas boilers. You could try hhcro website they run the Home heating Cost Reduction Obligation but unless you live in a stone house with solid walls and very poor insulation and lots of bedrooms you are likely to have to make a contribution
    • Binsy0
    • By Binsy0 6th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Binsy0
    boiler scheme
    Unfortunately most of the funding is aimed at OIL, LPG and electric storage. Most of the gas funding has finished now. They are right if you live in a large , solid wall, poorly insulated home you may get some funding but unlikely to be completely free
    • Binsy0
    • By Binsy0 6th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Binsy0
    boiler replacement
    The problem is that there is only a limited amount of funding available for what is called the "life time savings". Some properties are very large and poorly insulated and thus attract greater funding than a smaller property that is well insulated.

There are also costs related to installing a boiler and if the amount of funding available is less than the cost of a more expensive boiler then the installer has to charge for the difference. If a customer wants it free without a contribution then the option is to put in a lesser known brand. The option is always open to customer to make a contribution. A Firebird is actually a good oil boiler. It just doesn't have the same brand marketing spend as Worcester bosch
    • cellbar
    • By cellbar 11th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cellbar
    Hi - gone through the set-up and qualify for a survey - but what exactly is the criteria for a replacement boiler? Currently have an old gas back boiler older than 20 years - AND - what is the 'Technical Survey' and what does it consist of the engineer carrying out? They cannot access the boiler so what do they do? TIA
    We are the only ones who make life difficult!
    • CharlotteM
    • By CharlotteM 11th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CharlotteM
    What help is impossible
    I'm in my mid 70's and on my own. I have very old and not effective night store heaters. Is there any help I can get to improve my heating?
    • REWIND
    • By REWIND 11th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    REWIND
    Addresses
    I tried both Eon and Npower by filling in the eligibility form but neither supplier could recognize my address despite it being on their system, thus failed to submit. I then phoned Eon and left message (no reply) and then phoned Npower and they DON'T carry out solid wall insulation and to have a new boiler you MUST be on benefit. Brick wall as usual - no surprise there. I live in the back end of Wales so the utility providers aren't interested.
    • carpy
    • By carpy 19th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    carpy
    Cavity wall insulation - Free for all?
    is cavity wall insulation really completely free for all even if not in receipt of any benefits?

i'm a bit confused as some firms websites are saying there might be a contribution to pay??

can anyone recommend any firms they've used where it was completely free and they were completely happy with the service?

also as my house was built 2003 it would already have some sheets of insulation in the cavity but i have heard it's still possible to some extra insulation put in?

can anyone confirm who has had this done on a 'newish' property?

many thanks
    • al_UK
    • By al_UK 3rd Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    al_UK
    Horrid boiler replacement service from nPower
    I am disabled.
    I had my old boiler replaced by nPower, their contractors Synergy Gas.
    One of the central heating pipes is leaking now so I cant use heating for over a month and nobody available to look / repair it for another week. Horrible service, not recommended.
    • Gwar
    • By Gwar 4th Nov 17, 1:09 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gwar
    I am in a bit of an awkward position. My ex husband removed the boiler from our house around 8 years ago, drained down the radiators and removed the radiator from the bathroom. He is not Corgi registered. He has now gone off with someone else and I am left with a wood burning stove to heat the bungalow, which being disabled and on various benefits is a struggle to keep going and maintain and now it seems to have a problem that it burns up even with the vents shut.

I have contacted the government helpline and warmandsafe Wiltshire but seem no further forward. The predicament I have is that there is no boiler to replace and the radiators and microbore pipes probably have lots of sediment in them and won't work properly, and there is no grants available to replace the whole central heating system.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will try to keep warm in my 13.5 tog quilt!
    • Angry_kittens
    • By Angry_kittens 14th Nov 17, 9:44 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Angry_kittens
    Has anyone had experience with free "Solid wall" Insulation. I live in a pre-1920's End Terrace, all exterior walls are solid with no Cavity. I do not qualify under the terms of ECO as I am not in receipt of benefits, but I also don't have the money to get either interior or exterior insulation fitted (looking at minimum of £4000 for interior). Does anyone know of any schemes or grants that may apply?

I've been through the guide here at MSE but it looks like I am out of luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,346Posts Today

6,954Users online

Martin's Twitter