Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    • 1,216Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion
    • 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion 5th Jul 13 at 4:56 PM
    Hi all,

We've written a new guide on Free Boilers and Insulation, and it would be great to hear your feedback. Please do share your experiences and any extra tips to help others.

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection:
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions):
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed:
    - How you found the experience:

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-07-2013 at 4:59 PM.
Page 53
    • bigpappa
    • By bigpappa 2nd Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    bigpappa
    In a terraced house what type of foam insulation is best. Is it myth that it can cause damp?

Stone terraced house, circa build 1920.
    • groke
    • By groke 13th Sep 16, 1:17 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    groke
    Room in roof insulation?
    Hi everybody. I live in a privately-rented, pre-1920 flat with a loft conversion, and am in receipt of income-based ESA.

The loft conversion is very badly-insulated, making cold winters totally unbearable. I rang British Gas about having it insulated but they said my flat is unsuitable because I have rooms in the roof. I've since heard about "room in roof" insulation but can't find much information about it. I've found a few websites but they look a bit dodgy. I was surprised to see that the MSE guide didn't make any mention of this kind of insulation - loft conversions aren't exactly rare anymore. Where can I get more info? Thanks
    • happyadrian
    • By happyadrian 17th Sep 16, 2:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    happyadrian
    Room in roof insulation
    A lot of energy companies are now funding room in roof insulation. Where they can, the installers slide insulation boards up between the tiles and the sloping ceilings and add fibre glass to the upright stud walls and flat ceiling areas if they are there. The work may not always be free though, it depends on how tricky your property is to insulate. The energy companies tend not to get involved in this work so you need to find an accredited room in roof installer. You need to search for a website called Green Deal ORB, then go to the participant register, select "installers only" then "room in roof insulation" from the services section

We are a company that has funding from energy companies for this work but we don't install directly, we give the money to the installers. If you don't have any joy let me know and I will try and recommend someone
    • JOHNT
    • By JOHNT 27th Sep 16, 9:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JOHNT
    Free boiler help
    Hi, I notice that the free boiler grant seems to be for a replacement boiler, what if this is your first ever boiler? I have just had gas connected to my house is their anything I can do to help with the cost of installing gas central heating
    • happyadrian
    • By happyadrian 28th Sep 16, 4:15 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    happyadrian
    Free Boiler
    Hi John

Yes you can still get a grant if you are in receipt of benefit but the amount you will get will only cover part of the cost of the works. The grant will vary depending on your existing heating and insulation levels but you might be looking at £1000-1500 towards a job that would cost maybe £4000.
    • Nyla_
    • By Nyla_ 28th Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nyla_
    Had a Free Boiler Installed
    Hello

I just wanted to let you know I have recently had a new boiler fitted.

It started off with being approached by a man in a street, which i can already hear you saying is extremely dodgy. He gave me a leaflet, it mentioned if i earn less than £16,000 then I qualify.

I then went onto the internet and did a quick search, found a website call Rothwell Plumbing

I filled in the form online, received a phone call a week later to say that i qualified for a free boiler , another week later they came and did a survey. 3 weeks after that they came and fit my free boiler.

Please see details below:

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection: 20 mins
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions): No the grant was for boilers only.
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed: All day, engr came at 08:00 and completed the work by 15:00 hrs
    - How you found the experience: They were brilliant, the installation took longer because the boiler needed to be moved as the current location was not adequate, the engr moved my boiler and gas meter so they were next to each other. I cannot thank him enough for that .
    He used covers and cleaned up afterwards. The house is boiling now where as before I couldn't tell when the heating was on and I have external insulation.

I would definitely recommend them.
    • janeken
    • By janeken 28th Sep 16, 3:24 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    janeken
    Boiler replacement
    Does anybody know if it is possible to get a replacement back boiler under this scheme? It is for my son and daughter-in-law who have a back boiler in excess of 15 years old and they can't afford much at the moment to pay for any extra work.
    • DSD2016
    • By DSD2016 10th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DSD2016
    Alarmed
    I looked into this scheme back in the summer for my mother, she rang thru to the helpline, provided the documents they asked for and arranged for a guy to come round to do the survey.

Guys pitches up, spends a good couple of hours counting radiators, checking piping etc and promptly tells my mum that for an £800 contribution to the job (approx £3000 in total) we could get a boiler fitted blah blah blah - "but we need an answer this week as the funds are running out".

Needless to say, we thought about it for a while and when my mum rang back with some questions she was told the scheme was over and that the initial tranche of funding was done, she'd have to wait and see if it would be continued or not.

Now, we've heard nothing since so I 'd guess they either have enough work to do, or they have no access to the scheme funding anymore, however, fast forward to today where the 25 year old boiler has packed up. I have a friend in the heating trade who has visited the property and condemned the boiler, needs replacing. He's verbally quoting for a Worcester Boiler at £850 and the total job at £1300.

I'm assuming that the companies involved in this apply some level of mark-up to the jobs anyway so as to get some of their money back and as others have said, they only seem to fit certain models of boiler? I'm of the mind to just get my friends company to fit one as a lot of people seem to be having to contribute the same or more to the job than i'm being quoted for the entire thing without the grant?

Does anyone know if the scheme has come to an end or funding has been withdrawn and why the heck does it seem to be such a faff to get the info about it? cant the energy company tell straight up what the level of support is?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    There's bound to be a higher price in these schemes, as the 'approved' subcontractors will have to pay the scheme for the guaranteed trade it provides for them; rather like brand approved installers have to pay the brand an annual fee for the recommendation.

The local man's quote is a good one.
    • happyadrian
    • By happyadrian 11th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    happyadrian
    Cost of "free" boilers
    The Government changed the rules for the ECO grant scheme back in around June which meant that there was a lot less funding around for gas boiler replacements so it might be true that the funding has run out. Funding is now mainly available for oil and LPG boilers or storage heater upgrades but there is a little bit of funding still around for gas boilers.

All heating companies can charge what they like even though the grant amount paid would be roughly the same so it is probably worth shopping around to get 2 or 3 quotes from companies that have the grant funding. A straight boiler swap should be no more than £1500-£2000 so it really depends on what the grant amount is as to what the contribution would be
    • cjane
    • By cjane 12th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cjane
    I had a new boiler installed in June 2016 by Northern Heating and haven't used the actual heating of the radiators up until last thursday. We tried the boiler and the radiators wouldn't heat up so since last thursday I have rang the company two or three times a day and no one will sort the problem out, they just fob me off with someone from our customer service department will ring you back. I have written on there facebook site and messaged them also but nothing. What should I do? anyone any ideas?
    • groke
    • By groke 14th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    groke
    A lot of energy companies are now funding room in roof insulation. Where they can, the installers slide insulation boards up between the tiles and the sloping ceilings and add fibre glass to the upright stud walls and flat ceiling areas if they are there. The work may not always be free though, it depends on how tricky your property is to insulate. The energy companies tend not to get involved in this work so you need to find an accredited room in roof installer. You need to search for a website called Green Deal ORB, then go to the participant register, select "installers only" then "room in roof insulation" from the services section

We are a company that has funding from energy companies for this work but we don't install directly, we give the money to the installers. If you don't have any joy let me know and I will try and recommend someone
    Originally posted by happyadrian
    Hey Adrian, thanks for the reply! I've found the website you mentioned. Is it a government website? Because it ends in .gov.uk

I performed a search and returned 27 companies working in my area (Hull) but I have no idea which one to pick. Can you help? You said "we are a company" but I don't know which company you are, haha
    • Blue_Max
    • By Blue_Max 14th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Blue_Max
    I had a new boiler installed in June 2016 by Northern Heating and haven't used the actual heating of the radiators up until last thursday. We tried the boiler and the radiators wouldn't heat up so since last thursday I have rang the company two or three times a day and no one will sort the problem out, they just fob me off with someone from our customer service department will ring you back. I have written on there facebook site and messaged them also but nothing. What should I do? anyone any ideas?
    Originally posted by cjane
    You have your rights as a consumer. Since they keep fobing you off, it is time to write to them asking to repair or replace the installation; failing which you intend to issue a County Court summons in your local court.
    If there was an energy supplier involved, you could also write to them.
    • happyadrian
    • By happyadrian 15th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    happyadrian
    Room in roof insulation Hull
    Hi There

Yes that is the website with the authorised companies. Unfortunately the search facility is pretty rubbish and when I did the same search in your area I noticed a lot of companies that are miles away from you and also there were some companies missing from the list. We are called Happy Energy but although you will find us on the website for other things we are not installers of room in roof so won't be on your list of 27 companies. The companies that I know who install room in roof and would cover your area are Think Energy Yorkshire in Osset, UK Green Deal Installers in Doncaster who probably did come up on your list and Urban Renewable Power in Sheffield. If you Google those 3 names you should find the websites, I know the owners of all 3 companies and would be happy to recommend any of them. Remember to mention you receive benefits as they can then check if you are eligible for the higher grant
    • saraht1234
    • By saraht1234 18th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    saraht1234
    'free' boiler grant survey - trueco
    Hi just wanted to post my experience and see feedback from others. I have had 3 different companies out to do the initial home survey under the 'free' boiler grants scheme. The first 2 companies - RED2 and Valley heating services, didn't quote me despite me chasing them. the 3rd company Trueco have called me to ask for a £208 contribution. They want this payment before the technical survey and the boiler they have suggested is for a flat (mine is a 4 bed house) I have seen other threads where companies ask for a further significant contribution following the technical survey. Any comments /experiences welcome. thanks
    • Blue_Max
    • By Blue_Max 18th Oct 16, 6:31 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Blue_Max
    Thats a trap!
    Two companies that I approached did not ask for any 'contributions'. Another one did.
    What if you can not afford to go ahead, when you are told of the total cost? Would they refund the 'contribution' ?!
    For work such as this, it is normal procedure to get three quotes. Make sure that the quotes are comprehensive and cover all of the work and materials; and include details of warranties.
    If a company refuse, there are many others you can go to.
    • happyadrian
    • By happyadrian 19th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    happyadrian
    Free boiler prices
    Yes good advice from Blue Max to get 3 quotes and also you need to watch out for companies that try to install the smallest cheapest combination boiler they can to maximise their profits which leave you with an under heated house and a poor hot water flow rate.

Valley Heating are a good outfit, shame they didn't get back to you
    • AlanBart
    • By AlanBart 1st Nov 16, 3:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanBart
    Hello

Can someone advise me who are recommended installers in the Huddersfield area. I seem to have people knocking on my doors on a monthly basis.

Is there a website I can find out who is part of this scheme and get quotes from them? I just dont like the hard sales push from the door canvassers.

Also what happens to the info on my pension? Do they check with the Dept of Work Pensions? I mean am I allowed to get multiple quotes because as each time I will give the same information and would that look like fraud if they keep on checking that I am on Pension Credit?
    • southwalesgirl
    • By southwalesgirl 19th Nov 16, 9:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southwalesgirl
    We have never taken advantage of anything like this before. Our boiler is 21 years old it broke down in September. My husband is out of work I am working but had my hours and wages cut earlier in the year. No savings no loan available. We decided to apply thru an online link. They were on the phone before I had even finished filling in the form. Explained our situation and was told we qualified and put me thru to my local installer. British gas, who booked an engineer. We had to wait 8 weeks. He arrived, asked to see the necessary paperwork and said we didn't qualify as we were £100 over the limit and promptly left. What they failed to say at the enquiry stage was it is based on your total earnings for the previous tax year and not your current circumstances. We are now left with no heating or hot water with two kids at home. Total waste of time, we haven't heard of anyone who is yet to qualify
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 19th Nov 16, 2:58 PM
    • 5,244 Posts
    • 2,436 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Hi, I notice that the free boiler grant seems to be for a replacement boiler, what if this is your first ever boiler? I have just had gas connected to my house is their anything I can do to help with the cost of installing gas central heating
    Originally posted by JOHNT
    This was me 2 & half years ago. Tried to get Green Deal from a scheme set up by the council, but the money they wanted up front I could have just gone private in the first place. Either that or they made a massive mistake with my quote.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

611Posts Today

3,658Users online

Martin's Twitter