Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • easylife73
    • By easylife73 25th Jun 13, 7:36 PM
    • 322Posts
    • 938Thanks
    easylife73
    Easylife73’s looong journey to…well…hopefully an easy life!
    • 25th Jun 13, 7:36 PM
    Easylife73’s looong journey to…well…hopefully an easy life! 25th Jun 13 at 7:36 PM
    Have been lurking for some time, and getting inspiration from other people’s diaries, especially those of Tilly, Megela and Fortune Smiles (who has inspired me to make some muffins with the rhubarb growing in our garden tonight!)

So, some background information…DH and I have both had a tombola birthday this year (40) and I for one found it hard to accept that I am no longer in the first flush of youth! We have two kids together, DS1 who is 13 next month and DS2 who is 10. DH also has a son from a previous relationship who is 16. Other members of the household are our lovely dog and parrot (did have a rabbit as well but he did a runner couple of weeks ago…)

We have two mortgages, due to end in August/September 2036. The amount owed on the first mortgage is currently £87,980.72 and the second is £27,062.24 making a total owing as £115,042.96. The second mortgage was taken out a few years ago to extend the upstairs of our house to make three bedrooms and a bathroom instead of just two bedrooms. We currently have a little over 23 years left on these two mortgages.

I have started making a few tiny overpayments, originally to test how to do it and whether it works, but boy is it addictive!! I love spreadsheets anyway, so have had great fun playing with my overpayment spreadsheet!

However….we may well be taking out a third mortgage in the next year, which will obviously undo all of my good work! We desperately need to sort our kitchen out, as it is literally falling apart, and the conservatory leaks whenever it rains. In fact, when we had rain the other day we actually had a layer of water over half of the floor, so sorting the conservatory out is also becoming urgent. What we would really like to do is knock through between the kitchen and conservatory and turn the conservatory part into a proper room so that we can use it all year round, but the quotes for this have all come in at around the £30k mark. So that would increase our mortgage debt to the truly horrifying amount of about £145,000.

DH is supportive in principle, but really just wants me to stop talking about it all the time! He also likes to spend money on doing stuff now, so has a tendency to undermine my efforts. That said, rather than buy each other more “stuff” for our big birthdays we decided that life begins at 40 and wrote a list of things we wanted to do or try, and places we wanted to go, and the intention is to start working our way through some of these things (within reason!) So some money will be diverted into this. I also can’t bear to not have a holiday or do Christmas well!

So that’s where we are at the moment…hopefully writing it all down here will (a) help to keep me motivated as it’s going to be a long, hard slog, and (b) stop me telling DH the minute detail when he’d rather I just shut up!
    Last edited by easylife73; 22-12-2014 at 9:29 AM.
Page 4
    • easylife73
    • By easylife73 18th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    easylife73
    Have just been reading through some other diaries, and it's made me realise how much has changed in the last two years, and also how much will be changing in the near future...

Positives
    • I'm working full time so more money coming in from my earnings
    • DH is now top of scale in his job after a period of pay freezes
    • We are no longer paying maintenance each week for DH's son, as he is now 20

Negatives
    • DS1 will be starting driving lessons in a month or so which cancels out the money saved by not paying maintenance. It will also mean increased insurance costs to have him on my car insurance.
    • Which leads on to my car...previously we only had the one car, which meant a lot of driving each other around in order to make sure everyone had transport when they needed it. Last year we bought a small second car (no RFL, low insurance and a few years of transferrable warranty left on it), partly to make things easier but also so that DS1 could practice when he starts learning to drive, as the main car is an automatic. Unfortunately we didn't quite have the money at the time, so we borrowed from the very generous bank of mum & dad and are paying that back at £400 per month for the rest of this year.
    • Which leads on again to the main car...still fine (touch wood) but is now out of it's warranty period so if something goes wrong we'll need to find repair money.
    • As soon as DS1 has learnt to drive we'll probably be looking at him going to university (next year) so there will be costs there...no idea how much as he is not the type to go out much so hard to guesstimate how much he'll need. He should qualify for a maintenance loan to some degree, so we'll see. I've put a figure in the budget for £1,200 per term initially, but with provision for a further £450 or so if necessary.
    • Our lovely dog, who has previously had all his costs paid for by the charity he is a stud dog for, is being retired in August, so we will need to pick up the costs from then (or give him back, but I don't think DS2 would ever forgive me for that!) So we'll need to pay for food, vets bills, insurance, kenneling etc...I've estimated about £100 a month but as we've never had to pay it before I've really no idea.
    • Overtime appears to have dried up for DH.
    • Kind of a positive as well as a negative, but as we're not getting any younger we've set up income protection policies, so another £100 or so going out each month. Should the worst happen and we become ill it will be worth it's weight in gold, and the peace of mind factor is important, to me at least.

Wish List
    As always, there's an ever growing list of things to spend money on!
    • Need to redecorate our bedroom, a downstairs room and the stairs and landing...the stair carpet that I mentioned two years ago that needed replacing still needs replacing!
    • Would really like to buy a caravan...would like to be able to make the most of the few weekends DH does get off (he works an odd shift pattern) and would also like to be able to take the dog away with us, as we won't have free kenneling after this year's main holiday. We usually camp in France, but it wouldn't be realistic to take the dog abroad with the tent.
    • In my dream world I'd like to be able to take the kids on a big holiday before they fly the nest...I think we'd really enjoy a cruise round the Med with Royal Caribbean - their ships look amazing!

There's more, but it's so un MSE I can't put it down in writing

No idea how I'll be paying for all this...
    Last edited by easylife73; 18-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    • easylife73
    • By easylife73 22nd Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    easylife73
    Have tried to get organised a bit this week...I've downgraded our bank account as we were paying £25 a month which gave us travel insurance, breakdown cover and home emergency cover. I've included the home emergency cover in our house & contents, bought breakdown cover for about £40 (minus 20% cashback) and travel insurance for £29, so a saving. The new downgraded bank account doesn't have any fees and also gives us 6 free cinema tickets, which is the equivalent of giving us £70!

DH has also cancelled a small policy that no longer meets our needs, and I have tried to take over the grocery shopping as this is an area we spend a ridiculous amount of money in. Used up a few random bits from the freezer for dinner last night and put an order in for Asda using a £6 off a £60 shop voucher.

I also applied for a Halifax Clarity card for when we go to France in August, as we will get £20 off the first bill apparently.

No actual OPs as I think I need to concentrate on reining in the spending/budget first...plus our new mortgage isn't set up yet so I don't want to confuse matters!
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 22nd Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 7,749 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    I'm new to your diary and only read the last page! I'll definitely be catching up this evening though! Our top amount was similar to yours at £136k and a finish date of 2036, so a similar journey.

Good decision on bank account and when you put it all like that it makes total sense and i love your positive, negatives and wish list technique which i may well be pinching for my half year review at the weekend!!
    MFW: Original June 2036 // Aim March 2025 - 27//120 payments // Avg Daily Interest £4.84
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Aug 2012: £146,818 // Aug 2015: £131,010 Current: £107,618.31
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 42.45% of £41,000
    • easylife73
    • By easylife73 22nd Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    easylife73
    Thanks shangaijimmy...I need to get back on the wagon, but have scared myself tonight by looking at my 10 year+ budget planner It is not a pretty picture so definitely have to try to make savings where I can.

Have done an Ocado order tonight as we had a voucher for £20 off an £80 spend...tried to only buy things that were cheaper at Ocado, which was quite hard, but have bought a lot of things like shampoo and toothpaste which can be stored longer term but which will definitely get used eventually.

Checked our last two Asda orders online to see if we were due anything back on the price match, and managed to get about £5 back there. Also put an order in on Amazon for 1200 teabags with an add-on item of some laminate floor cleaner for £1 which would otherwise have been £5 or so - rock and roll

And finally got the news that the new mortgage will hopefully be completing next week, so I'll be able to set up a new mortgage spreadsheet then
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,976Users online

Martin's Twitter