Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WHA
    • By WHA 30th May 07, 12:54 PM
    • 1,334Posts
    • 1,015Thanks
    WHA
    0 WOW
    Food in hand luggage?
    • 30th May 07, 12:54 PM
    0 WOW
    Food in hand luggage? 30th May 07 at 12:54 PM
    Someone has told me that they had food items taken away which they had in their hand luggage, apparently for "security reasons". I thought that it was liquids which were restriced, and that food was ok - we are talking about a sandwich, crisps and a chocolate bar. We are going to Spain shortly and planned to take our own "picnic" for the flight rather than suffer the in-flight meal - are we OK to do this or will it be confiscated?
Page 1
  • bouquiniste
    • 30th May 07, 1:00 PM
    • 30th May 07, 1:00 PM
    Unless it's one of the products banned for health reasons (e.g. avian flu) then generally no, they shouldn't take it from you but check with the airline to be on the safe side, and maybe with Spanish Customs rules. Consuming your own alcohol on flights is a no-go, however.

See here for liquids rules:
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/airtravel/airportsecurity
    Last edited by bouquiniste; 30-05-2007 at 1:14 PM.
  • cundall
    • 30th May 07, 1:42 PM
    • 30th May 07, 1:42 PM
    yesterday on Jet2 no problems,
    2 weeks ago on ryan air no problems and
    3 weeks ago on thompson no prolems with food

They were flown from Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester if that makes any difference (ane two did contain chicken though no for me!)

Should really have no problems... though you always get one person who is in a bad mood!
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 30th May 07, 2:10 PM
    • 3,016 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    • 30th May 07, 2:10 PM
    • 30th May 07, 2:10 PM
    Among the liquid and semi-liquid things that are not allowed, ‘soft cheese’ is on the list.

I have no idea, if they lift up the top slice on a sarnie to check, whether or not the camembert is too runny.
    • WHA
    • By WHA 30th May 07, 2:29 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    WHA
    • 30th May 07, 2:29 PM
    • 30th May 07, 2:29 PM
    Many thanks, that's put my mind at rest.
    • bestyman
    • By bestyman 30th May 07, 2:49 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    bestyman
    • 30th May 07, 2:49 PM
    • 30th May 07, 2:49 PM
    We flew from Liverppol a month ago and took food but there was a sign up at security banning food ( which we ignored)
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • Norman Davies
    • 30th May 07, 3:45 PM
    • 30th May 07, 3:45 PM
    Flew with Ryanair two weeks ago from Liverpool to Alicante. No problems taking food onto plane. Loads of people did it. Enjoy your hols
  • WiseInvestor
    • 30th May 07, 5:28 PM
    • 30th May 07, 5:28 PM
    there was a sign up at security banning food ( which we ignored)
    Originally posted by bestyman
    Do you drink and drive too? Or take things from shops without paying for them?

Airport security firms have no financial relationship with airport shops or the airlines, so they're not stopping you bringing your own food just to make you purchase theirs.

The Government (the Department for Transport to be precise) decides what you can and can't take through airport security - the least you could do is abide by the rules, whether you agree with them or not. Is it any wonder the queues are so long with the staff having to waste time checking/removing/rechecking items that shouldn't be taken through in the first place?!
  • moonrakerz
    • 30th May 07, 8:32 PM
    • 30th May 07, 8:32 PM
    Do you drink and drive too? Or take things from shops without paying for them?

The Government (the Department for Transport to be precise) decides what you can and can't take through airport security - the least you could do is abide by the rules, whether you agree with them or not.
    Originally posted by WiseInvestor
    What a sanctimonious response !

The Government has done many things, but they haven't banned you from taking food onto an aeroplane. Unless it contravenes the "liquids" rules.

It's bit rich to accuse someone who seems to know the law better than you - of drink driving and shop lifting !!!!
    • bestyman
    • By bestyman 30th May 07, 9:44 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    bestyman
    Thank you moonrakerz nothing much to add really other than like the OP we were unsure if food was allowed on or not so made enquiries that suggested that food was allowed as long as it was in solid form.
    Having made said sandwiches and arrived at security we see a sign saying that "no food was to be taken past this point". As we had now two sets of conflicting information we chose to ignore the sign as we thought a government website was more likely to be accurate than an old A4 word doc stuck up at Liverpool airport.

In response to your question I am not a thief nor a drink driver . In future to save yourself from further embaresment perhaps you should ask for further information before adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 .
    If you do have a point to prove on a forum simply stating your reasons would suffice, this way we can have a debate and help the OP. Implying I am a criminal is really not neccesary and serves no purpose.
    Regards
    Mark
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
    • PBA
    • By PBA 30th May 07, 11:03 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    PBA
    Actually I'm pretty sure that the security staff are employed by the airport, not the government. So if they've decided to have a "no food past security" rule chances are it has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with increasing retailers' and airlines' profits.
  • ukdoctor
    The no food beyond this point means that you cant keep on munching a burger and drinking coke/Tea/ coffee etc while passing through security.

All sealed food is okay as long it is kept in your hand luggage and is not liquid in nature. I travel a lot and have checked this with several airports in the UK in the last few months.

See this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=397309
  • moonrakerz
    Actually I'm pretty sure that the security staff are employed by the airport, not the government. So if they've decided to have a "no food past security" rule chances are it has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with increasing retailers' and airlines' profits.
    Originally posted by PBA
    More likely to be that strange British habit of going completely over the top on every thing.

No liquids = no drinks:- therefore no food , no nothing ! Mr Jobsworth takes over...................

I would agree with the comment about who actually employs the security staff - the airport operator.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Leicester win the DOUBLE... the Premier League and the World Snooker Championship. Everyone's a fox tonight!

• You do wonder if anyone has told Mark Selby yet... (the jester from leicester)

• RT @MCFC: Congratulations to @LCFC on winning the Barclays @premierleague title. Well deserved. #mcfc

• Follow Martin