Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • nopot2pin
    • By nopot2pin 4th Nov 07, 9:28 AM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    nopot2pin
    Hi there

I have a bread machine - but only ever used it on the dough cycle as i like my bread done in the oven... but i have now gone to doing it by hand as it seems so much quicker - this recipe has never failed me..hope you get good results

hope it helps
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Gotta try this !! Cant wait till my next days off to get going !!
    TVM MrsMcawber
    • salster
    • By salster 4th Nov 07, 9:28 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    salster
    I too have been looking for larger bread tins but thanks to you all on here I've just bought one.

So when it comes over the next couple of weeks or so I can make a proper sized loaf. Weightwatchers will be having a day off for that one.

Thanks all.
  • blackvelvetshoes
    Hi there

I have a bread machine - but only ever used it on the dough cycle as i like my bread done in the oven... but i have now gone to doing it by hand as it seems so much quicker - this recipe has never failed me..hope you get good results

thank you so much for taking the time to post that,it's really kind of you. I look forward to trying that out once I can get hold of some fresh yeast. I live in a remote area and can only get dried sachets for breadmakers until I can go and do my monthly supermarket shop
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

Fresh yeast is best (well i think so) but you can use dried yeast if that is what you have for now...

mix 1 sachet of yeast into the flour and the sugar, pour in the warm liquid and mix - then add the salt and knead realy well ( mixing first protects the yeast..as salt can slow it down and sometimes kill it)...
    shape and put straight into the tin to prove.... dried yeast sometimes isn't strong enough to rise twice
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • blackvelvetshoes
    Hi there

Fresh yeast is best (well i think so) but you can use dried yeast if that is what you have for now...

mix 1 sachet of yeast into the flour and the sugar, pour in the warm liquid and mix - then add the salt and knead realy well ( mixing first protects the yeast..as salt can slow it down and sometimes kill it)...
    shape and put straight into the tin to prove.... dried yeast sometimes isn't strong enough to rise twice
    ooh you are brilliant,thanks for that
    • Angelraesunshine
    • By Angelraesunshine 4th Nov 07, 2:09 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    Angelraesunshine
    Nooooooooooooooooo I just spotted a really cool french stick tin now *sits on hands to stop buying it*
    Originally posted by D&DD
    well thanks everyone now i want one too lol Dh has been complaining as i keep making free form bread as the kids prefer it in there lunches but not enough sandwich bread as my tin is too small. Now i want the new bigger tin and the french stick tin cos that looks soo cool
    Still Trying
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

just a quick one.... here is a pick of todays loaf using the recipe i posted earlier..just to give you some ide of what size loaf it makes.... and i managed not to let it "mushroom today"

[img=http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6525/bread2dk8.th.jpg]
    • salster
    • By salster 4th Nov 07, 7:28 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    salster
    Hi there

just a quick one.... here is a pick of todays loaf using the recipe i posted earlier..just to give you some ide of what size loaf it makes.... and i managed not to let it "mushroom today"

[img=http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6525/bread2dk8.th.jpg]
    That looks lovely.
  • D&DD
    That looks brilliant MRSMC might try a freehand one myself tomorrow after seeing that
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 4th Nov 07, 11:32 PM
    • 16,616 Posts
    • 48,386 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Well. mrsmcawber... what can I say? Once again, I'm in awe. I have a fantastic bread recipe also, but that just looks so good, I can't not try it, lol.

Thank you for taking the time to post both the recipe and the picture

Lx
    • nopot2pin
    • By nopot2pin 17th Nov 07, 8:16 PM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    nopot2pin
    Hi there

hope it helps
    Well... I have finally gotten round to making some of this bread... and its lovely. I am just waiting for it to cool properly, so that I can slice it and freeze it. But I am not sure how much will make it to the freezer

I had to use dried yeast though. But it did seem to work.
    Where do you get fresh yeast from ?? As I would like to try using this to see if there is any difference
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

So glad it worked for you..

if you have an Asda near you, go up to the instore bakery and ask for some fresh yeast and they give it you for free ..if not i know morrisons sell it..but we like FREE best

break it up into the sized pieces for 1 loaf, wrap in clingfilm and throw in the freezer... when you want to use it... drop it into the jug you put your liquid in as it goes sticky when it defrosts - but still works fine
    it will defrost quickly too..a few mins should do it..

I much prefer bread made with fresh yeast...plus its cheaper here
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 29th Aug 08, 12:07 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    Loaf Tin Help
    I've acquired a loaf tin but they aren't any markings on it to say its size, I think its a 1kg / 2lb one can anyone confirm?
    it holds about a litre of water and measures about 8 inches long by 4 wide
    Thanks in advance!
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    I think Sami is right, as always!
    Originally posted by 3onitsway
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 29th Aug 08, 12:44 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Sami_Bee,

I've always been confused by this too. I have loaf tins that I use for baking that hold just over a litre of water but I've been lead to believe that they are 2lb tins. These tins make a boiled cake about the average size you would buy in a bakery. Yet the tin in my breadmaker makes a 2lb loaf but holds just over 3 litres of water.

I still can't make sense of it, but over the years have adjusted recipes to suit my tins even if I'm not sure what size they are. :confused: There's an earlier thread that may help so I've added your post to it.

Pink
    • thenanny2die4
    • By thenanny2die4 13th Jan 09, 10:24 AM
    • 2,344 Posts
    • 53,980 Thanks
    thenanny2die4
    What size is my bread tin?
    Can someone please tell me if the loaf tin I'm about to use is the 1lb size? It measures about 8.5 x 4.5 inches at the top.

Sorry to be dim but I've never known how to tell. Why can't it say on the tin?
    Oh no, I'm comping again.

Goodbye life.

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 13th Jan 09, 11:23 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi thenanny2die4,

Yes, that sounds like a 1lb tin to me....assuming it's about 3 inches deep? It's something I've always found confusing too.

There's an earlier thread on loaf tin sizes so I'll add your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 24th Sep 10, 12:39 PM
    • 8,237 Posts
    • 31,264 Thanks
    ampersand
    Loaf tin capacity / dimensions
    I'm finally asking - have muddled along for years, but it would be better to know which, when recipe says to put mix into a particular weight tin.

It can matter.

What dimensions are the following please?
    - a 1lb loaf tin.
    - a 2lb loaf tin.

Thankyou.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Sep 10, 12:48 PM
    • 17,084 Posts
    • 132,744 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I'm finally asking - have muddled along for years, but it would be better to know which, when recipe says to put mix into a particular weight tin.

It can matter.

What dimensions are the following please?
    - a 1lb loaf tin.
    - a 2lb loaf tin.

Thankyou.
    Originally posted by ampersand
    Here you go I'll merge this later.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
  • f10nal
    F10nal
    I just put tin on scales, zero it, and fill with water to see how big it is. Fluid ounces are the same as ounces, grams are the same as mls if you're weighing fluids like water.
    • twohanded
    • By twohanded 9th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    twohanded
    Bread tin sizes
    When you buy your tins there usually is a label attached. I always keep mine.......might be a good idea to do the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin