IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Loaf Tin sizing help
Views: 42,571
# 1
nell2
Old 29-05-2007, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Loaf Tin sizing help

Feel like making some dough in breadmaker and then baking it in oven later on. Only problem is ... don't know what size tin to use.
Please could someone who knows tell me the dimensions of a 1lb tin and a 2lb tin. I've got a loaf tin but I've got no idea which size it is.
Any help much appreciated
Nell
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to nell2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Penelope Penguin
Old 29-05-2007, 6:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi, Nell, and welcome to Old Style!

Mine are 22cm x 12cm (at the top) x 6cm deep. They're 2lb.

HTH, Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge

Last edited by Penelope Penguin; 29-05-2007 at 6:19 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
angelavdavis
Old 29-05-2007, 7:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I just make mine into a sausage shape and cook on an oiled baking sheet!
Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelavdavis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
vfairbrass
Old 29-05-2007, 8:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'd love an answer to this question too.
I have a tin that I think is half a pound size (l*w*d) 6 inch*4.5 inch*2.5 inch
One that I take to be one pound at 8 inch*4.5 inch *2.5 inch
One that I take to be two pound 10 inch *5.5 inch * 3 inch

None have their sizes on them so I've always had to guess.
Valerie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vfairbrass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Solwaykid
Old 29-05-2007, 9:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My 2lb loaf tin holds exactly 1 litre of water, full to the brim,if you don't have a tape measure handy. Sorry to mix metric and imperial!
One debt v 100 days Part 14 400/400
One debt v 100 days Part 13 329.66/380
One debt v 100 days Part 12 380/450

One debt v 100 days Part 11 392.50/400

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Solwaykid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
madmum33
Old 29-05-2007, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I like baking bread on a tray, makes a nice change from standard loaf shaped loaves!

You could make a cob loaf (round, cut a cross in the top), a plait (long sausage, cut almost all the way along the length then plait like hair), a bloomer (long sausage, diagonal cuts in the top).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madmum33 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
nell2
Old 29-05-2007, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to make baguettes with a French bread recipe and it worked really well.
However, I am now off to measure my loaf tin to see what size it is for future reference. Liked the idea of measuring it by volume Solwaykid!
Am also feeling inspired to try some different shapes. Just another quick question though, do you brush a bit of vegetable oil on the tray to stop the bread sticking if you are doing a bloomer or the like, or is that not necessary? Also, do you oil your loaf tins?

Last edited by nell2; 29-05-2007 at 11:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nell2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
nell2
Old 29-05-2007, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well I've measured it and checked its volume. It's 12.5 x 22.5 x 6 and it holds about 1050 ml of water so I guess that makes it a 2lb one. It doesn't look very big to me, but I've got nothing to compare it to.
Thanks for your helpful measurements once again everyone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nell2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
JennyB
Old 03-11-2007, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile Loaf Tin Size for Bread Making

Hello

A slightly odd question but I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help out.

I've recently purchased a long desired Kenwood Chef which has boosted my enthusiasm about making bread to use for my daily lunchtime sandwich. Pret are going to miss my custom but my wallet is going to love this change!

The problem is that my current loaf tins are really for making cakes and when I make bread in them I end up with really small slices which aren't a lot of use for sandwiches.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good size of loaf tin to use for making bread for sandwiches?

I'm hoping to find a tin that will make "proper" sized sandwiches!

Any suggestions on where to buy such tins would also be appreciated. All the shops I've located so far are more geared towards cake baking so the choice of potentially suitable tins is limited.

Thanks for your help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JennyB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
thriftlady
Old 03-11-2007, 6:28 PM

Hi Jenny,
I use standard 2lb loaf tins. These are widely available, but it sounds like they're the sort you already have. If you want your bread to be the same size as a sliced packet loaf then I'm not sure I can help, sorry.

Anyone else know?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thriftlady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
MRSMCAWBER
Old 03-11-2007, 6:51 PM

Hi there

I generally use a 2lb tin, i do have a bigger one but it makes huge slices..
if you leave your bread to rise to about 1-2" above the top or the tin and then slash it length ways (it stops it going wonky, and leaning when it bakes).... you should get "proper sized slices"... how much dough are you putting in your tin? could it be that there isn't enough to make a big loaf? I use 500g flour in a 2lb tin... hope it helps.. let me know if you want the recipe..i make it by hand and its a doddle
-6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MRSMCAWBER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
needaspirin
Old 03-11-2007, 6:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have the same problem. I find my sliced bread has the profile of a mushroom as the tins aren't tall enough and the dough sags over the sides. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :confused:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to needaspirin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
thriftlady
Old 03-11-2007, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaspirin View Post
I have the same problem. I find my sliced bread has the profile of a mushroom as the tins aren't tall enough and the dough sags over the sides. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :confused:
This was the problem I had. I was making a triple batch and putting it in 3 tins. The loaves did mushroom rather. So I put the same amount of dough in 4 tins. Now my loaves are quite short, but they are easy to slice and make a decent sized sandwich. It also lasts longer because, of course, we still eat the same amount of slices-they're just a bit smaller
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thriftlady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
MRSMCAWBER
Old 03-11-2007, 7:02 PM

Hi there
Just been and measured.. yes im THAT sad

My tin is :- 8.5x4.5" and 2.5" deep

My loaf is 6" tall and the bit above the tin is 6" at its widest point ..although that is because i was busy rattling on the phone and let it prove a bit too much .. mind you i would rather have bread that looks "rustic" and tastes gorgeous..than it look perfect and taste yuk...

Needasparin... if it is "mushrooming" as mine does sometimes - it could be that your dough is a little too soft, or you have a little too much yeast in it.. it makes it so the dough can't support its self....

hope it helps
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MRSMCAWBER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Addiscomber
Old 03-11-2007, 7:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have a couple of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class...117323&sr=8-33

although they are non stick, I always oil them anyway. The bread needs to be sliced when cooled and then frozen, otherwise it goes stale given the size of loaf. Quantity wise a whole bag of flour will make 2 loaves of this size. There are a couple more 3lb tins on Amazon, but much more expensive.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Addiscomber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
rev229
Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

John lewis sell large loaf tins but are about 12.00 they are part of their anolon professional range. Too big for cakes but would be perfect for bread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rev229 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
D&DD
Old 03-11-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiscomber View Post
I have a couple of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class...117323&sr=8-33

although they are non stick, I always oil them anyway. The bread needs to be sliced when cooled and then frozen, otherwise it goes stale given the size of loaf. Quantity wise a whole bag of flour will make 2 loaves of this size. There are a couple more 3lb tins on Amazon, but much more expensive.
Nooooooooooooooooo I just spotted a really cool french stick tin now *sits on hands to stop buying it*
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
The Following User Says Thank You to D&DD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
blackvelvetshoes
Old 04-11-2007, 4:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSMCAWBER View Post
Hi there

I generally use a 2lb tin, i do have a bigger one but it makes huge slices..
if you leave your bread to rise to about 1-2" above the top or the tin and then slash it length ways (it stops it going wonky, and leaning when it bakes).... you should get "proper sized slices"... how much dough are you putting in your tin? could it be that there isn't enough to make a big loaf? I use 500g flour in a 2lb tin... hope it helps.. let me know if you want the recipe..i make it by hand and its a doddle

I would like your recipe please for making bread by hand if you wouldn't mind posting it,thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to blackvelvetshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
jinny
Old 04-11-2007, 7:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.as...read!5624_5625

I use these, they are quite tall and make a traditional size loaf. Would like your bread recipe too please Mrs Mccawber.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
MRSMCAWBER
Old 04-11-2007, 8:58 AM

Hi there

I have a bread machine - but only ever used it on the dough cycle as i like my bread done in the oven... but i have now gone to doing it by hand as it seems so much quicker - this recipe has never failed me..hope you get good results

500g bread flour
2tsp salt

350ml luke warm water
20g fresh yeast
1tsp sugar
  1. mix the salt n flour in a large bowl
  2. make a well in the centre
  3. mix the yeast, sugar and water together and when dissolved -pour into the well.
  4. sprinkle the flour from around the sides over the liquid
  5. cover with a tea towel and leave until the liquid starts to break through the top
  6. I then stick the bowl in the sink to save mess and use 1 hand to start mixing ( make your hand like a spider and swish around, drawing in the flour from the sides-if that makes sense)
  7. depending on your flour - you may need a little bit extra if it feels too wet...
  8. then start to knead it in the bowl
  9. tip out and knead until smooth
  10. place back in bowl and use a carrier bag to make a dome over the top - it works better than a cloth
  11. when doubled in size tip out, knead again and shape and place into an oiled 2lb tin
  12. cover again with the carrier bag.... so it forms a big dome and leave to rise.. about 1.5-2" above the tin
  13. then with a sharp knife - slash length ways - not very deep-just enough to break the top.. but it stops the loaf from raising wonky - you don't have to do this
  14. place in the middle of a pre-heated oven - gas 7 for about 30 mins or until golden
  15. tip him out of the tin and if you "knock" on the bottom with your knuckles he should sound hollow - if not pop back on the shelf for a few more mins - either in or out of the tin
  16. take out and cool - uncovered...unless you want a softer crust..then throw a tea towel over
You can use part milk/part water too if you want a softer crust - all water makes it crustier, and if you like it really crusty, dissolve a bit of salt in some hot water and when the loaf is done-brush over the top crust and place back in oven for a minute....

you can also add 1oz of melted butter to the liquid stage - this helps keep it fresh longer, but i slice and freeze mine as soon as its cold so i don't bother - plus its less cals ... you can also use a drizzle of oil for the same reason - but i find it makes the texture a bit more dense..

this dough also worked in my BM on the dough cycle..

hope it helps
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MRSMCAWBER For This Useful Post: Show me >>