Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • topmum
    • 27th May 07, 11:43 AM
    • 27th May 07, 11:43 AM
    oo spooky - I was about to post to ask if anyone knew where I can buy reasonably priced material online? Also dressmaking pattens online?
  • lizzeena
    • 27th May 07, 12:57 PM
    • 27th May 07, 12:57 PM
    That is spooky!

I really miss having somewhere cheap to rummage for a fabric pieces, so I hope somebody can help!
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 27th May 07, 1:17 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    • 27th May 07, 1:17 PM
    • 27th May 07, 1:17 PM
    Walthamstow Market has been recommended to me, but I have not managed to get there yet. I understand that it is on the Victoria tube line and also mainline train from Liverpool Street.

Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays are supposed to be best, but the person who told me about it tends to buy from the shops there mostly, so the day is not critical. Prices from 75p with the average around £1 -£1.50. Saturdays are really busy.

Patterns can be bought from http://www.jaycotts.co.uk/ Whenever I have bought from them the service has been very good. http://www.sewingpatterns.com/ is also supposed to be good but I have not tried it myself yet.

You might find http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/ helpful for sewing matters.
    • lazy_daisy
    • By lazy_daisy 27th May 07, 2:43 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    lazy_daisy
    • 27th May 07, 2:43 PM
    • 27th May 07, 2:43 PM
    Wow this is spooky!
    I have been looking for dress fabric websites for the last few days but not much luck. I have been given a new sewing machine and want to make the kind of clothes that White Stuff and Fat Face sell for silly money, but it is difficult to buy the lovely fabrics that they use. The clothes themselves would be so easy to make if I could find these fabrics as they are often just unlined A-line skirts or simple fitted sleeveless blouses but it is the material that makes them look special. Oh well, if anyone knows, you lot will! I live in a bit of a retail backwater so have trouble finding anything decent around here....:confused:
    Thanks, and good luck,
    Lazy xx
    Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
  • lizzeena
    • 27th May 07, 5:46 PM
    • 27th May 07, 5:46 PM
    There are lots of pieces of fabric on ebay but there are some materials you really need to feel before you can buy. Might be good for spotting patterns a la Fat Face though.

I've been looking on the internet today and found a shop on Old Brompton Street in London (...near Gloucester Road, I think) which sells remnants from Liberty which is quite exciting.
    • wendym
    • By wendym 27th May 07, 5:57 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    wendym
    • 27th May 07, 5:57 PM
    • 27th May 07, 5:57 PM
    Search on Ebay for Voyage Sale in fabrics (link won't work for some reason) -not dirt cheap, but fair prices for amazing fabrics, and a lovely seller.
  • raeble
    • 27th May 07, 6:13 PM
    • 27th May 07, 6:13 PM
    Croft Mill is very good for mail order - I think you can also buy in person if you live in the North. The catalogue is a hoot - the current one is entitled Defence of the Realm and the writer starts by having a whinge about the budget before mentioning in the description of the first bit of fabric for sale that we've got one over on Gordon there (the fabric is ex-mod and they are selling it for £2pm, it cost at least £5pm to make). http://www.croftmill.co.uk/ Click on JW Coates to request a catalogue. They have lots of fabric priced quite cheaply. Most of the fabric is under £6 a metre I think. There is quite a bit that is £1. The most expensive fabric in the current catalog is some Fake Fur at £12.50 per metre. The only thing that may put some off is you don't get any photographs, you can request samples though.
    Last edited by raeble; 27-05-2007 at 6:17 PM.
    • madmum33
    • By madmum33 27th May 07, 7:05 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    madmum33
    • 27th May 07, 7:05 PM
    • 27th May 07, 7:05 PM
    Croft Mill is very good for mail order - I think you can also buy in person if you live in the North. The catalogue is a hoot - the current one is entitled Defence of the Realm and the writer starts by having a whinge about the budget before mentioning in the description of the first bit of fabric for sale that we've got one over on Gordon there (the fabric is ex-mod and they are selling it for £2pm, it cost at least £5pm to make). http://www.croftmill.co.uk/ Click on JW Coates to request a catalogue. They have lots of fabric priced quite cheaply. Most of the fabric is under £6 a metre I think. There is quite a bit that is £1. The most expensive fabric in the current catalog is some Fake Fur at £12.50 per metre. The only thing that may put some off is you don't get any photographs, you can request samples though.
    Originally posted by raeble
    This sounds like the same company that used to advertise fabric in Prima, lots of funny descriptions of all the fabrics but no pictures!
    • beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 27th May 07, 7:27 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    Originally posted by raeble
    Thank you, thank you for this! Used to get the Croft Mill catalogue about 15years ago, but thought they'd gone out of business - used to have loads of really good bargains and the funny descriptions are a scream. I've sent for the catalogue now and am really looking forward to it dropping on the mat.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
    • lazy_daisy
    • By lazy_daisy 27th May 07, 9:04 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    lazy_daisy
    Yes I get Croft Mill and they are very good but as you say- no pictures.
    V. good value for things like curtain lining, curtain tape, etc.
    I may have to take the plunge with their dress fabrics but it's difficult when you can't see them.
    Thanks wendym, will look for voyage.
    xxx
    Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
  • Little_Plum
    I use Croft Mill, and yes, I have had some surprises when my order's arrived! They will take unwanted fabric back, though. Be careful of the remnant packs - I've had a couple of good pieces, but some are just grim.

An online site I use has pictures of the fabrics, and they're even cheaper than Croft Mill. It's www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk

There's fabrics there from 99p.
    • polkadot
    • By polkadot 31st Jul 08, 10:00 AM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 16,238 Thanks
    polkadot
    Can I dredge up this old thread (pun?) Ive been referred to Deptford market and wondered if anyone else has experience of it. Why is fabric so hard to find in London?
    LBM 18 May 2010-Total debt shared with DH £15016.76£14930.20£14769.92£14571.55£11424.88
    2nd purse: £23.85/£100.00 3rd purse: £0/£200.00 Stockpile value: £781.98

• polkadot
    • By polkadot 31st Jul 08, 10:17 AM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 16,238 Thanks
    polkadot
    I may have to take the plunge with their dress fabrics but it's difficult when you can't see them.
    Thanks wendym, will look for voyage.
    xxx
    Originally posted by lazy_daisy
    I just tried to get a catalogue and discovered that the mail order service has closed down I was so looking forward to it
    LBM 18 May 2010-Total debt shared with DH £15016.76£14930.20£14769.92£14571.55£11424.88

• MrsE
    Ikea

Dumlemn Mills

Cath Kidson (discount store) in Bicester Village.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 31st Jul 08, 10:27 AM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 33,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hi polkadot!

One of my former colleagues makes (or made - this was several years ago) all her own clothes, and always bought her fabric from Deptford market. At that time she said there were, I think, two stalls selling all their fabrics at £1 per yard and one where it was all £2 per yard. I'd bet it would be well worth going to have a look although the prices have probably gone up.

There's also a good shop in Lewisham High Street called "Rolls 'n' Rems" which is also very good value.

I know that quite a number of people on here who sew, order fabric and patterns from the US or Canada. There's a thread called "Does anyone sew their own clothes?" (sorry, I can't do links!) which you would enjoy.

HTH!

ivyleaf.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 31st Jul 08, 10:30 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 132,559 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Here it is - Does anyone sew their own clothes?

Penny. x
    Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
    • polkadot
    • By polkadot 31st Jul 08, 10:51 AM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 16,238 Thanks
    polkadot
    Thanks Ivyleaf

Ive been to rolls and reems 3 times and am now trying to stay away from there. Each time Ive been in they have made it very clear that my child and his buggy are in the way. To me, sewing should be fun and happy and when I cant get in to have a good look or am made to feel uncomfortable it sort of taints the project. I went in one saturday (so I could leave LO at home). I waited 20 minutes because I wanted to look at a fabric that was too high for me to reach. I never got to look at at as no one seemed to have the time to help. When I jokingly said it would likely be easier to pay a babysitter and come back in the week I was told it was a very good idea.
    I think I'll try deptford market anyway.

• FairyElephant
    Please can someone tell me what is a 'fat quarter'? It is a term on fabrics-n-stuff, but I can't find an explanation?!?

Thanks in advance,

FE
    • Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 31st Jul 08, 11:32 AM
    • 2,956 Posts
    • 20,554 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    It's basically a quarter of a yard of fabric. But instead of just cutting 9 inches across the width, a whole yard is cut off then the piece cut into four quarters, hence *fat quarter*. So you get a sort of square rather than a thin strip. They are used a lot by quilters.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

8,525Users online

Martin's Twitter