Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Where to buy cheap fabric for sewing / fabric rem... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Where to buy cheap fabric for sewing / fabric remnants?
Views: 95,235
# 1
lizzeena
Old 27-05-2007, 10:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Where to buy cheap fabric for sewing / fabric remnants?

In Liverpool and the North West there are fabric shops called Abakhan where you can buy pieces of fabric by weight and cheap fabric on the roll.

Does anybody know a shop like this in London or the South East? Especially somewhere that has fabric pieces by weight.

Thanks Moneysavers.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizzeena For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
topmum
Old 27-05-2007, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

oo spooky - I was about to post to ask if anyone knew where I can buy reasonably priced material online? Also dressmaking pattens online?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lizzeena
Old 27-05-2007, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

That is spooky!

I really miss having somewhere cheap to rummage for a fabric pieces, so I hope somebody can help!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzeena For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Addiscomber
Old 27-05-2007, 1:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Walthamstow Market has been recommended to me, but I have not managed to get there yet. I understand that it is on the Victoria tube line and also mainline train from Liverpool Street.

Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays are supposed to be best, but the person who told me about it tends to buy from the shops there mostly, so the day is not critical. Prices from 75p with the average around 1 -1.50. Saturdays are really busy.

Patterns can be bought from http://www.jaycotts.co.uk/ Whenever I have bought from them the service has been very good. http://www.sewingpatterns.com/ is also supposed to be good but I have not tried it myself yet.

You might find http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/ helpful for sewing matters.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Addiscomber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
lazy_daisy
Old 27-05-2007, 2:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Wow this is spooky!
I have been looking for dress fabric websites for the last few days but not much luck. I have been given a new sewing machine and want to make the kind of clothes that White Stuff and Fat Face sell for silly money, but it is difficult to buy the lovely fabrics that they use. The clothes themselves would be so easy to make if I could find these fabrics as they are often just unlined A-line skirts or simple fitted sleeveless blouses but it is the material that makes them look special. Oh well, if anyone knows, you lot will! I live in a bit of a retail backwater so have trouble finding anything decent around here....:confused:
Thanks, and good luck,
Lazy xx
Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
Lose a stone start weight 8/8/12 - 10st 12lbs, now 10st 9lbs. Size 12 here I come....eventually....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazy_daisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lizzeena
Old 27-05-2007, 5:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There are lots of pieces of fabric on ebay but there are some materials you really need to feel before you can buy. Might be good for spotting patterns a la Fat Face though.

I've been looking on the internet today and found a shop on Old Brompton Street in London (...near Gloucester Road, I think) which sells remnants from Liberty which is quite exciting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizzeena For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
wendym
Old 27-05-2007, 5:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Search on Ebay for Voyage Sale in fabrics (link won't work for some reason) -not dirt cheap, but fair prices for amazing fabrics, and a lovely seller.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wendym For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
raeble
Old 27-05-2007, 6:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Croft Mill is very good for mail order - I think you can also buy in person if you live in the North. The catalogue is a hoot - the current one is entitled Defence of the Realm and the writer starts by having a whinge about the budget before mentioning in the description of the first bit of fabric for sale that we've got one over on Gordon there (the fabric is ex-mod and they are selling it for £2pm, it cost at least £5pm to make). http://www.croftmill.co.uk/ Click on JW Coates to request a catalogue. They have lots of fabric priced quite cheaply. Most of the fabric is under £6 a metre I think. There is quite a bit that is £1. The most expensive fabric in the current catalog is some Fake Fur at £12.50 per metre. The only thing that may put some off is you don't get any photographs, you can request samples though.

Last edited by raeble; 27-05-2007 at 6:17 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to raeble For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
madmum33
Old 27-05-2007, 7:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeble View Post
Croft Mill is very good for mail order - I think you can also buy in person if you live in the North. The catalogue is a hoot - the current one is entitled Defence of the Realm and the writer starts by having a whinge about the budget before mentioning in the description of the first bit of fabric for sale that we've got one over on Gordon there (the fabric is ex-mod and they are selling it for 2pm, it cost at least 5pm to make). http://www.croftmill.co.uk/ Click on JW Coates to request a catalogue. They have lots of fabric priced quite cheaply. Most of the fabric is under 6 a metre I think. There is quite a bit that is 1. The most expensive fabric in the current catalog is some Fake Fur at 12.50 per metre. The only thing that may put some off is you don't get any photographs, you can request samples though.
This sounds like the same company that used to advertise fabric in Prima, lots of funny descriptions of all the fabrics but no pictures!
The Following User Says Thank You to madmum33 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
beemuzed
Old 27-05-2007, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeble View Post
Croft Mill is very good for mail order - I think you can also buy in person if you live in the North. The catalogue is a hoot - the current one is entitled Defence of the Realm and the writer starts by having a whinge about the budget before mentioning in the description of the first bit of fabric for sale that we've got one over on Gordon there (the fabric is ex-mod and they are selling it for 2pm, it cost at least 5pm to make). http://www.croftmill.co.uk/ Click on JW Coates to request a catalogue. They have lots of fabric priced quite cheaply. Most of the fabric is under 6 a metre I think. There is quite a bit that is 1. The most expensive fabric in the current catalog is some Fake Fur at 12.50 per metre. The only thing that may put some off is you don't get any photographs, you can request samples though.
Thank you, thank you for this! Used to get the Croft Mill catalogue about 15years ago, but thought they'd gone out of business - used to have loads of really good bargains and the funny descriptions are a scream. I've sent for the catalogue now and am really looking forward to it dropping on the mat.
Resolution:
Think twice before spending anything!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beemuzed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
lazy_daisy
Old 27-05-2007, 9:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes I get Croft Mill and they are very good but as you say- no pictures.
V. good value for things like curtain lining, curtain tape, etc.
I may have to take the plunge with their dress fabrics but it's difficult when you can't see them.
Thanks wendym, will look for voyage.
xxx
Up Jacob's Creek without a paddle!
Lose a stone start weight 8/8/12 - 10st 12lbs, now 10st 9lbs. Size 12 here I come....eventually....
The Following User Says Thank You to lazy_daisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Little_Plum
Old 29-05-2007, 11:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I use Croft Mill, and yes, I have had some surprises when my order's arrived! They will take unwanted fabric back, though. Be careful of the remnant packs - I've had a couple of good pieces, but some are just grim.

An online site I use has pictures of the fabrics, and they're even cheaper than Croft Mill. It's www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk

There's fabrics there from 99p.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little_Plum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
polkadot
Old 31-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Can I dredge up this old thread (pun?) Ive been referred to Deptford market and wondered if anyone else has experience of it. Why is fabric so hard to find in London?
LBM 18 May 2010-Total debt shared with DH 15016.7614930.2014769.9214571.5511424.88
2nd purse: 23.85/100.00 3rd purse: 0/200.00 Stockpile value: 781.98

The Following User Says Thank You to polkadot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
polkadot
Old 31-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy_daisy View Post
I may have to take the plunge with their dress fabrics but it's difficult when you can't see them.
Thanks wendym, will look for voyage.
xxx
I just tried to get a catalogue and discovered that the mail order service has closed down I was so looking forward to it
LBM 18 May 2010-Total debt shared with DH 15016.7614930.2014769.9214571.5511424.88

# 15
MrsE
Old 31-07-2008, 10:21 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ikea

Dumlemn Mills

Cath Kidson (discount store) in Bicester Village.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ivyleaf
Old 31-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Hi polkadot!

One of my former colleagues makes (or made - this was several years ago) all her own clothes, and always bought her fabric from Deptford market. At that time she said there were, I think, two stalls selling all their fabrics at 1 per yard and one where it was all 2 per yard. I'd bet it would be well worth going to have a look although the prices have probably gone up.

There's also a good shop in Lewisham High Street called "Rolls 'n' Rems" which is also very good value.

I know that quite a number of people on here who sew, order fabric and patterns from the US or Canada. There's a thread called "Does anyone sew their own clothes?" (sorry, I can't do links!) which you would enjoy.

HTH!

ivyleaf.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivyleaf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Penelope Penguin
Old 31-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Here it is - Does anyone sew their own clothes?

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
polkadot
Old 31-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks Ivyleaf

Ive been to rolls and reems 3 times and am now trying to stay away from there. Each time Ive been in they have made it very clear that my child and his buggy are in the way. To me, sewing should be fun and happy and when I cant get in to have a good look or am made to feel uncomfortable it sort of taints the project. I went in one saturday (so I could leave LO at home). I waited 20 minutes because I wanted to look at a fabric that was too high for me to reach. I never got to look at at as no one seemed to have the time to help. When I jokingly said it would likely be easier to pay a babysitter and come back in the week I was told it was a very good idea.
I think I'll try deptford market anyway.

# 19
FairyElephant
Old 31-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Please can someone tell me what is a 'fat quarter'? It is a term on fabrics-n-stuff, but I can't find an explanation?!?

Thanks in advance,

FE
The Following User Says Thank You to FairyElephant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Churchmouse
Old 31-07-2008, 11:32 AM

It's basically a quarter of a yard of fabric. But instead of just cutting 9 inches across the width, a whole yard is cut off then the piece cut into four quarters, hence *fat quarter*. So you get a sort of square rather than a thin strip. They are used a lot by quilters.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Churchmouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>