IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
James Wellbeloved
Closed Thread
Views: 3,579
# 1
Tori Bellatrix
Old 26-05-2007, 3:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default James Wellbeloved

Hi

I've heard lots of things about James Wellbeloved so I went to my local pet store to buy some for my 2 cats and was surprised to see how expensive it was. I think it over £10 for a bag.

Does anyone here use it and is it worth the money?

I have ordered some samples from the JW website but not received them yet.

Thanks All ...
Tori Bellatrix

.:**:..:**:..:**:.

Last edited by Tori Bellatrix; 26-05-2007 at 4:24 PM.
# 2
Kimitatsu
Old 26-05-2007, 3:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

We used to use JW and I have to say it was great BUT it was very expensive!

We looked after my bosses dog last year as he had colitis, long story but the poor little poppet just needed a gluten free diet rather than the tablets the vet was giving him. We started on JW to get him right in the first place, but have since discovered Alpha dog foods who do one at 1/5th of the cost, and also our local pet shop does its own brand of gluten free food for about 1/4 of the cost of JW.

Its worth seeing if you have an agricultural feed merchant near you, as they stock a huge variety of foods at far cheaper prices than the conventional pet stores, or see if you have an independant pet shop that does its own food.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimitatsu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
kr15snw
Old 26-05-2007, 4:46 PM

Our two springers were on this as they are allergic to wheat and gluten (picky sods:P). But we did also find it very expensive. We then went to a local farm shop (mainly horse stuff but some hunting stuff as well) and they sold a working dog food. It has no VAT on it so its super cheap. The dogs havent noticed any difference to be honest!

But we still get the james wellbeloved treats as they love them sooooo much. Oh we also get the cat treats aswell now, as the kitten likes them.

Although its good, if your in the countryside then you may be able to find a much cheaper alternative.
Green and White Barmy Army!
The Following User Says Thank You to kr15snw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Noozan
Old 26-05-2007, 5:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Noozan

I've been buying our JWB cat food from Focus DIY for over 2 years now as they sell it for £9.99 but always have the bags where you get an extra 1kg free. (so 3kg for £9.99) I have to rummage for these though as they seem to like stuffing them right at the back of the shelves and put the normal 2kg bags in front. Our dog's JWB comes from a local animal feed merchant as it's been the cheapest I could find - £28 for a 15kg sack but we often get the sacks where you get an extra 3kg free.
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
The Following User Says Thank You to Noozan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
spookylukey
Old 26-05-2007, 6:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Pets at Home have an offer on at the moment - the 5kg adult variety of JWB is half price... Think the offer ends 31st May.
The Following User Says Thank You to spookylukey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Hoopylass
Old 26-05-2007, 9:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was advised by my vet to use JWB and so I duely started buying it from pets at home, until one day I spied there own brand on hypo-allergenic dog food. I compared the ingrediants and there is no difference! I buy one of the large bags and it does me around 3 mths, I keep it in a bin in one of my kitchen cupboards.

I still buy the JWB treats tho as my dog needs the fish treats but still a saving!
Total Debt
Was 4145.81now 0.00
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Tori Bellatrix
Old 27-05-2007, 1:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks everyone so far .. Unfortunately, I don't live in the country so no
farm shops nearby ...

I will check PAH for their 5kg special offer though ...
Tori Bellatrix

# 8
Guinea
Old 27-05-2007, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi there

We have used all variaties of JWL and after a couple of months our dog just turned her nose up at them! Won't go near the stuff now and I have a big bag left over!!
Baby Bump born 4th March 2010!

The Following User Says Thank You to Guinea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
anniestar
Old 27-05-2007, 8:37 PM

We have 7 cats and 6 of them are fed exclusively on James Wellbeloved(the ohter one is currently on a perscription diet) We were advised to put one of our cats(my avatar) on to it as he has serious digestive problems. Obviously in a multi cat household its all or nothing so we bit the bullet and switched. After 2 weeks Livingstone was a different cat, had stopped shedding tons of hair all the time, coat better, firm stools that didn't reek(sorry) his tummy wasn't distended any more and he was putting on muscle tone.6 years later it was withou doubt the best thing we ever did for our cats. We get ours delivered(free) from a place called North West Discount Petfoods. They are based in Blackpool and deliver to Scotland, all of the North of England, The Midlands and Wales. I think they keep increasing the areas they deliver to. They are dead cheap. We pay something like £45 for 20 KILOS which lasts us for ages. Hope this is of some use to you.
Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

Level 42- the reason I exist.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anniestar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
wolfehouse
Old 28-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i've been using burns as it seems similar in composition to jwb as far as i can tell but is a bit cheaper. if i could find jwb for a better price might try my cat on it though. my cat has flakey skin and i feel a good dry food is important( she gets some wet food too though)- cheaper in the end than the vet would be.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolfehouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
bulchy
Old 28-05-2007, 4:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea View Post
Hi there

We have used all variaties of JWL and after a couple of months our dog just turned her nose up at them! Won't go near the stuff now and I have a big bag left over!!
If you have a dog rescue centre nearby, they will be grateful for this left over bag.

Our cats are fed JWB, it is expensive, so we usually try to stock up when PAH have it on promotion. Our current bag has 50% free. Its the only food I know my cats will definitely eat. I buy them tins, they will eat them for a few weeks, then decide they dont like them, just when I've stocked up, my local cat rescue centre dont complain though

Sue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bulchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Tesco points addict
Old 28-05-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori Bellatrix View Post
Hi

I've heard lots of things about James Wellbeloved so I went to my local pet store to buy some for my 2 cats and was surprised to see how expensive it was. I think it over 10 for a bag.

Does anyone here use it and is it worth the money?

I have ordered some samples from the JW website but not received them yet.

Thanks All ...
I have found this food fantastic for my cat. They also do a low calorie option...great for my pork pie of a puddy cat!!
It looks expensive but when you measure it out and work it out cost per meal its actually quite good value
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tesco points addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Noozan
Old 29-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Noozan

Just to add that until I changed our cat over to JWB, he was constantly plagued by urine infections. I was taking him to the vets every 8 to 10 weeks or so and it was costing me a fortune in both fees and antibiotics. Since the changes of diet just over 2.5 years ago, he's never had any problems.
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noozan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
keelykat
Old 29-05-2007, 2:09 PM

Compare it to tins of meat etc, and it actually isnt that expensive. beware of cheap brands with all sorts of crap in them, which arent any good for your cats. compare labels, and you'll see. We use several brands-depending whats on offer, james wellbeloved is a fave with our cats i have to say!

Keely.
Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keelykat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
liz545
Old 29-05-2007, 4:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We were using JWB food, as it has good quality ingredients and as my cat is an indoor cat, I wanted to use something with ingredients designed to minimise the risk of urinary tract infections. However, this weekend we went to Pets @ Home and it appears their adult dry complete food has virtually identical composition, so we're giving that a try. As it's on BOGOF, we got 2 x 4kg bags for £12 - that's £1.50/kg, which is pretty inexpensive, and should keep us going for a while!
2014 comp wins - 548
Recent wins: riding gloves, meal for four, camping mug
Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liz545 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Tori Bellatrix
Old 29-05-2007, 5:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks Liz545 - I''ll have a look for that as well ...
Tori Bellatrix

# 17
LucyLoo2
Old 30-05-2007, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

All you need to do is compare nutritional values and you can see why there is a price difference! A 5kg bag of JWB will probably last 3 times longer than a 5kg bag of Whiskas complete (which is full of cereals and fillers, which contain no nutritional value - stops your cat from feeling hungry though = more poo!) check out the feeding guides.

As for the dog food my 2 pups are on Wainwrights (Pets at homes JWB equivalent) 15kg bag currently on offer at 19.99 normally 27.99 think it may finish tomorrow though, just got stocked up this morning! One bag lasts about 6 weeks for 2 7 month old collies! Bargain!
The Following User Says Thank You to LucyLoo2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
little bear
Old 30-05-2007, 8:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, well I won't feed 4 of our 5 cats anything else to be honest. jefferson is on aprescription diet for crystals and at the moment I have Xena on a hairball diet but normally with the others she is on JWB

Yes at first the dry food seems expensive but it is superb but you do have to be strict with the weighing out to make it cost effective. Our guys all get 3/4 ounce twice a day and we keep a variety of flavours in although duck and rice and ocean white fish are the favourites. You can also moisten the food with a bit of water if your cat struggles to adapt to a dry food. We have to do this with Jeffeersons diet for his crystals if he has a flare up.

Just make sure that if you feed your cat dry food it has access to plenty of water.

Over our 11 years of owning cats we have been through a lot to do with diets. Amber had an allergy to protein in red meat etc and it was tough and then we discovered JWB. Like you we got samples first then got a small bag and then get a large bag and store it in a container to keep it fresh and dry.

Good luck and if I can be of any further help please let me know
The Following User Says Thank You to little bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread