Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Madmel
    • 26th May 07, 12:58 PM
    • 26th May 07, 12:58 PM
    I'm surprised your mortgage lender hasn't demanded them! Whenever I've had a mortgage, the lender has always kept the deeds, and as far as I know, has never charged any extra for them.

When we bought this place, we didn't need a mortgage and enquired about retention of the deeds with our solicitor. This firm offers free storage of house deeds providing you have used them for conveyancing, which of course we had.
    • runmartin
    • By runmartin 26th May 07, 1:02 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    runmartin
    • 26th May 07, 1:02 PM
    • 26th May 07, 1:02 PM
    If you bought the house recently then the Land Registry has all the details (scanned deeds) and you will be the registered owner, therefore the deeds your solicitor has are not required anymore.
  • Aliss
    • 26th May 07, 1:04 PM
    • 26th May 07, 1:04 PM
    I have mine in a locked fireproof filing cabinet in the house. I didn't think there was a reason for not keeping them in the house... why shouldn't you?

I can think of fire and theft but is there another reason?
    Aiming to pay off mortgage by my 30th birthday... Ł39438 to go!

"Had a documentary made about me" non-clique No.1, PM me to be added!
    • runmartin
    • By runmartin 26th May 07, 1:06 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    runmartin
    • 26th May 07, 1:06 PM
    • 26th May 07, 1:06 PM
    Land registry website

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/lro/servlet/TitleSearchServlet?searchType=advanced
  • Essenchill
    • 26th May 07, 3:02 PM
    • 26th May 07, 3:02 PM
    Yes, was thinking of fire/theft, and haven't got a fire proof safe - as yet - confused as to what to do with them... I have a copy of the Land Registry within the deeds (current copy) and all the previous versions, but would need to pay for a new copy if I 'lost' this copy.

Wouldn't a sale of the house generate a need for all the deeds associated?
    • runmartin
    • By runmartin 26th May 07, 5:10 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    runmartin
    • 26th May 07, 5:10 PM
    • 26th May 07, 5:10 PM
    Wouldn't a sale of the house generate a need for all the deeds associated?
    Originally posted by Essenchill
    No, as you have just completed recently then the deeds have been electronically copied by the Land Registry therfore making them useless.

see post 5 of
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=449325&highlight=deeds
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 26th May 07, 5:16 PM
    • 24,893 Posts
    • 44,811 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 26th May 07, 5:16 PM
    • 26th May 07, 5:16 PM
    You don't need historic deeds any more if your house is registered at the land registry, so it doesn't matter where you keep them, including in the bin.
    I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
  • Bogof_Babe
    • 26th May 07, 7:24 PM
    • 26th May 07, 7:24 PM
    You don't need historic deeds any more if your house is registered at the land registry, so it doesn't matter where you keep them, including in the bin.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Does that include houses bought some time ago? We paid our Birmingham & Midshires mortgage off about 12 years ago, and left our deeds with them. They don't charge us for storage, as on their advice we left a balance on the mortgage account of Ł1 (interest free).

However they have since closed their local branch, and I'm not even sure they still exist as an entity in their own right, so goodness knows where our deeds are now.

It would be reassuring to know that the Land Registry have all the necessary documents, should we wish to sell and be unable to track down our deeds.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• runmartin
    • By runmartin 26th May 07, 9:55 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    runmartin
    Go on the land registry website and put your house number and postcode and it should tell you if it is registered.
  • Alfie E
    However they have since closed their local branch, and I'm not even sure they still exist as an entity in their own right, so goodness knows where our deeds are now.
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    Birmingham & Midshires still exist. See the Birmingham Midshires website. They’re part of Halifax plc, but they still have their old Wolverhampton HQ. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where your deeds are.

Given the age of the mortgage, I wouldn’t expect the property to be registered with the Land Registry. The first registration costs money, so it’s usually only done if it has to be. If your property’s not registered and you feel like writing to them, their freepost address is near the top of their Data Protection Act page.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • Essenchill
    No, as you have just completed recently then the deeds have been electronically copied by the Land Registry therfore making them useless.

see post 5 of
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=449325&highlight=deeds
    Originally posted by runmartin
    Final question then, I think:

The Land Registry has an electronic copy. I currently have a hard copy of this electronic copy. If I was required to produce a copy of the current deeds, but could not find my hard copy I would need to pay a fee to get a copy wouldn't I? If I was required to produce a HIP, I would require a copy and end up paying a fee for this (if I didn't have my hard copy already)?
  • silvercar
    Final question then, I think:

The Land Registry has an electronic copy. I currently have a hard copy of this electronic copy. If I was required to produce a copy of the current deeds, but could not find my hard copy I would need to pay a fee to get a copy wouldn't I? If I was required to produce a HIP, I would require a copy and end up paying a fee for this (if I didn't have my hard copy already)?
    Originally posted by Essenchill

Yes, you would have to pay Ł3 to download them from the Land Registry website.

We all say that the deeds are with Land Reg but I found an old building regs certificate amongst my deeds from the BS. In the process of moving my buyer's solicitor did ask for it.
  • Happy Fanatic
    I recently received a wedge of old deeds and stuff about my house when I remortgaged to the C & G.

I spoke to my solicitor and he said some of the planning documents would be needed when I decide to sell. I've kept everything in my house just filed maybe I should invest in a fire proof safe?

It's a shame banks are decluttering these documents some of mine are over 150 years old.
    :confused: Be brave, even if your not. people can't tell the difference.:confused:

Don't worry about not having enough money. Limited funds encourages creative thinking on a grand scale.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 27th May 07, 6:22 PM
    • 24,893 Posts
    • 44,811 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We too have kept our documents going all the way back to the 1850s although when the Staffordshire sent them to us they said they were no longer required and it was up to us whether we kept them or not.

They ars SO interseting and in all that time our house has only had six owners! (we've had it since 1976).

Seems as though people who live in it love it and don't want to leave!

We live in Spain at the moment and our son lives in it .
    I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
  • CB1979
    under the mattress, safe as then
  • sortofok
    under the mattress, safe as then
    Originally posted by CB1979

So where do you put your money then CB?

Or do you not need cash my friend

• CB1979
    i don't need cash, my house is made of gold, I trade in harvest produce & livestock.

the going rate for example is:
    1 sack of potatoes, 1 sheep & 1 pig for the latest Nike Trainers.

IF (and it very rarely happens) i do need to purchase items with money, due to me having a particularly bad harvest or Spurs_nut not doing a good job at impregnating the sheep, I will then take a brick from my chimney and sell it to the tinkers for the devil's paper!
  • sortofok
    is it a big house my friend?

You know.............

.......................with a lot of bricks?
  • communisis
    do I have to pay for house deeds
    My mortgage is coming to an end in september do I have to pay for my deeds which are held with santander
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,323Posts Today

6,438Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin