Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 31st May 13, 11:50 AM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    What's the best thing you've got on Freecycle?
    • 31st May 13, 11:50 AM
    0 WOW
    What's the best thing you've got on Freecycle? 31st May 13 at 11:50 AM
    Hi guys

We're just updating our Freecycle guide and would love to hear people's Freecycle success stories.

What's best thing you've got? And if there's a nice story behind it, all the better :-)

Thanks
Page 3
  • qwerty79
    I had some spare young plants and a lovely chap drove from 4 towns away for them. This was a few years ago. He brought me a mint cutting which has since provided mint plants for everyone I work with.
    Trying to make the money last the month.
  • qwerty79
    And how I could forget I don't know.
    I requested for a young man who was a bit stuck for trousers and couple of shirts suitable for office work/interviews and he was given a light suit a wool suit and a dozen shirts with 2 ties.
    Never have a seen someone so grateful.
    Trying to make the money last the month.
    • artydoll
    • By artydoll 9th Jun 13, 1:47 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    artydoll
    I haven,t recieved any good item yet,but I did give a fan light fitting away,and as he was putting it in his car I heard him remark to his friend[ ,I,ll get £20 for this at the boot sale],so I have given up putting stuff on them ,as I was most upset
    Earnings £245 in 2014 thanks to swagbucks
    • WeeGreenDragon
    • By WeeGreenDragon 17th Jun 13, 3:44 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    WeeGreenDragon
    Just the other week I received a Pilates machine - would have loved to buy one but could never afford to spend that much on one.

I've given tons away on freecycle - wardrobes, prams (one practically brand new), books, clothes, sofas .... if we have a clear-out it's the first thing we think of as I'd much rather someone got the use out of something we didn't want or need any more.

I aso make sure I wait a while to see all replies rather than jumping in and giving to the first to reply.
    • Pavalova
    • By Pavalova 4th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pavalova
    I got an electric zanussi cooker
    I got an electric cooker in stainless steel in good condition from a couple who were changing there kitchen, mine was broken(or so I thought ) other people had asked for it but were unable to collect it on there own as the guy had a hernia and couldn't help lift it, It wasn't a cheap cooker anyway I took it home and it didn't fit in the gap! On the off chance I flicked the cooker back on and it worked, I'd been cleaning it two days before . this is the bit I'm not to proud of, I sold it for 75 quid. (Am I going to free cycle hell?)
    • Salome
    • By Salome 13th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    Salome
    I don't use freecycle these days, but in the past have had a Stag tv cabinet, a computer and a lovely Queen Anne style sofa. But my best thing was a Durestra three piece suite, mint condition, which will last us 'til the end of our days.
    Like many others, I've relied on freecycle when times have been tough, but I think we've made the effort to offer things on there too. What goes around comes around.
    Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
    Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 14th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    a 37inch samsung tv with built in freeview and a glass tv stand, a combi microwave unused - my daughter got an almost brand new mattress and a double bed frame

And its good to be able to give people stuff on freecycle. Recently had to clear my late MIL house and much of the stuff went on there. Better than a house clearance company that charge you to collect the lot then sell it
    • Green hopeful
    • By Green hopeful 14th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Green hopeful
    I put the contents of my double garage on freecycle when I moved. I said people could collect on Saturday at 10 am and listed the type of items. First come first served. People kept saying "can I really take this?" By 1015 the garage was nearly cleared. The last few items went over the rest of the weekend. It was all things we had had for ages but not used like tents or cricket sets. Everyone was really friendly.
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 15th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    I was going to purchase a dehydrator but as a long shot put a wanted on Freecycle. I was very surprised when I got offered one the person had only used it once as said too much effort was required to make it worth using. The one I received was much better than I could have afforded to buy.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 15th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 15,449 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I've offered several items on Freecycle, the most popular item being an old fashioned hat stand - eight people wanted it. I've also collected items for both myself and my Brownies, which has been really useful. I need to put on a post for old bedding, condition unimportant, for a den building activity on pack holiday in a few weeks.
    • merrydance
    • By merrydance 15th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    merrydance
    I've had both good and bad experiences with freecycle and gumtree, i much prefer freecycle. Some people have been absolutely lovely, others have said I could have the item, then texted me and said it was gone or I've turned up and they have given it to someone else. I guess they figure it's free so they can do what they like but it is a bit disappointing. I had a few really nice things like a wicker basket, writing desk, and some lovely copper bottom saucepans. I also get rid of my unwanted items so its give and take.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

950Posts Today

7,215Users online

Martin's Twitter