Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lizling
    • By Lizling 30th May 13, 9:45 PM
    • 852Posts
    • 1,588Thanks
    Lizling
    Solid wood/Composite/uPVC door?
    • 30th May 13, 9:45 PM
    Solid wood/Composite/uPVC door? 30th May 13 at 9:45 PM
    Is there really much difference in terms of security?

I've had 3 quotes for solid wood front doors and they've all been over £1000 (including fitting), which seems a lot! Are they really worth the extra compared to other sorts of doors?
    Saving for deposit: Finished!
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
Page 3
    • thebaldwindowfitter
    • By thebaldwindowfitter 4th Oct 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    thebaldwindowfitter
    Many upvc doors split as they age. So grp skins became the answer to overcome this. Most manufacturers followed this route. Some did not.
    Originally posted by Furts
    So do many grp skins just lile upvc due to low lying direct sun .We have in the course of doing UPVC fascias etc replaced grp valleys well under 20 years due to cracking . oh and as far as vehicle bodies are concerned these are gel coated grp hence why there is less fade and they do crack and fade i have never known a Rockdoor skin split in the 20 years i have been installing them bubble yes where as in the 8 or so years grp doors have been around i have seen many but then i work in the industry both on domestic and new build and not simply here to knock these industries constantly in my ramblings
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
    • thebaldwindowfitter
    • By thebaldwindowfitter 4th Oct 17, 9:38 AM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    thebaldwindowfitter
    "Nobody would construct any of these items from pvcu because it would be useless."
    yes it is for the examples you give just like your comment it is not made for such purposes so has no reason to be used in this discussion apart from to bolster you post
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

230Posts Today

2,593Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin